HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brian Lawton: Vinny will “never’’ be traded

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2009, 12:15 AM
  #1
NickHanson
Registered User
 
NickHanson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Port, FL
Country: Ajman
Posts: 4,697
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NickHanson
Brian Lawton: Vinny will “never’’ be traded

Quote:
In his boldest statement in his short tenure as Lightning general manager, Brian Lawton may very well have put an end to any lingering rumors surrounding Lecavalier by stating the Tampa Bay captain won’t be going anywhere, as far as he’s concerned.

“We’re not going to trade Vinny Lecavalier,’’ Lawton said Monday. “I’m going to say, ‘never,’ so I don’t have to deal with it.’’
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/feb...rts-lightning/

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sp...ver-be-traded/

NickHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:16 AM
  #2
Todds Chiropractory
Registered User
 
Todds Chiropractory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,175
vCash: 50
Vinny to Habs E4

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:17 AM
  #3
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 11,303
vCash: 1210
B-b-b-but Eklund said he'd get traded to Montreal this weekend...

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:20 AM
  #4
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,758
vCash: 500
Cue all the "Lawton is a liar Gainey says so, so this means nothing" replies.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:21 AM
  #5
Crumblin Erb Brooks
Registered User
 
Crumblin Erb Brooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grenyarnia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,983
vCash: 500
I hope he gets traded tomorrow.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:22 AM
  #6
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!
 
Yelnats Puc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,741
vCash: 500
The sad part is, this won't stop the rumours.

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 01:28 AM
  #7
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,786
vCash: 500
WEll he better say "never" because the moment Vinny is traded in a "go young" type of move it's the day the Tampa Bay NHL franchise close their doors.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 01:36 AM
  #8
Rayne*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,298
vCash: 500
How often do GM's say so and so isn't being traded then said player ends up actually being traded at some point? At least half the time I'd say. It's not like a GM is gonna come right out and say "I'm going to trade this player". That never happens.

I don't expect Lecavalier to be traded by March 4th, but "never" is probably the worst word a GM can use.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 04:48 AM
  #9
mytor4*
 
mytor4*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,175
vCash: 500

And neither will Boyle.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 05:34 AM
  #10
Flinch*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Cue all the "Lawton is a liar Gainey says so, so this means nothing" replies.
According to the Habs board, which have posts covering this:

Gainey 'misleads' people.
Lawton 'lies' to people.

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 05:39 AM
  #11
grabo84
Registered User
 
grabo84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,448
vCash: 500
It seems like a weird thing to come out and say, especially considering the rumours have all but disappeared.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 05:58 AM
  #12
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Considering it was Lawton who called Gainey regarding Lecavalier, I'm going to have to take said statement with a grain of salt.

The people who are heading TB are lieing weasels. Just ask Boyle.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 05:58 AM
  #13
Mr Underhill
Registered User
 
Mr Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
How often do GM's say so and so isn't being traded then said player ends up actually being traded at some point? At least half the time I'd say. It's not like a GM is gonna come right out and say "I'm going to trade this player". That never happens.

I don't expect Lecavalier to be traded by March 4th, but "never" is probably the worst word a GM can use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
And neither will Boyle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
It seems like a weird thing to come out and say, especially considering the rumours have all but disappeared.
You people are ridiculous

Mr Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 06:05 AM
  #14
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,232
vCash: 93
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Vinny could come out declare that he would never play for Montreal and that he now identified himself completely as American and would never dream of leaving his real home town of Tampa and we would still have people saying it was a smoke screen to cover up the impending trade to the Habs.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 06:47 AM
  #15
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,889
vCash: 500
Sucks for Vinny.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 06:55 AM
  #16
Evil Ted
Registered User
 
Evil Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,650
vCash: 500
Yeah hes really honnest and dependable, we can take that to the bank.



Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 07:33 AM
  #17
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,054
vCash: 500
Credibility isn't exactly oozing out of Brian Lawton or anyone else in the Bolts organization these days, so who the hell knows anymore. For what it's worth, I always felt the Lecavalier talk was farfetched but when Bobby Mac starts talking about it, it becomes far more legit.

Bob MacKenzie = credibility

Brian Lawton = not so much

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 07:48 AM
  #18
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Sucks for Vinny.
No kidding. I feel bad for the guy.

Well, not that bad. At least he gets to make millions of dollars living on the beach and golfing every day.

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 07:54 AM
  #19
Patty Roy
Registered User
 
Patty Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Considering it was Lawton who called Gainey regarding Lecavalier, I'm going to have to take said statement with a grain of salt.

The people who are heading TB are lieing weasels. Just ask Boyle.
Yup. Lawton is just coming across as a joke in this whole situation.

Of course there is an "out" here. I think there is a very real possibility that LeCavalier asks to be traded, at which point im sure Lawton would deal him. Im not saying LeCavalier would ask to be traded to Montreal or anything, but i could see him wanting to get away from that brutal TB management/ownership group.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:10 AM
  #20
loadie
Official Beer Taster
 
loadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,061
vCash: 500
Makes one wonder if Lawton is bringing this up again to convince himself that he's not going to trade VL.

__________________

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:27 AM
  #21
Flinch*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Considering it was Lawton who called Gainey regarding Lecavalier, I'm going to have to take said statement with a grain of salt.
You, of course, have proof that such is the case, and that this wasn't an instance of Gainey 'misleading' people?

Quote:
The people who are heading TB are lieing weasels. Just ask Boyle.
Because Lawton was GM when Boyle was traded...

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:33 AM
  #22
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 500
It's funny how many journalists reported the talks of a Vinny trade and that Gainey said there was indeed talks, but Lawton and TB management, who already have trouble with credibility since the Boyle fiasco are saying the exact opposite and all that means, for TB fans, that every habs fans are idiots...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:35 AM
  #23
grabo84
Registered User
 
grabo84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Because Lawton was GM when Boyle was traded...
It was a mish-mash, but he probably had some serious input. He was hired well before the trade.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241612

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:56 AM
  #24
Flinch*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
It's funny how many journalists reported the talks of a Vinny trade and that Gainey said there was indeed talks, but Lawton and TB management, who already have trouble with credibility since the Boyle fiasco are saying the exact opposite and all that means, for TB fans, that every habs fans are idiots...
Or perhaps it has more to do with the fact that "Habs fans" have blown things out of proportion.

The way I've seen this whole spectacle is that Lawton may have made some calls to gauge interest in what a Lecavalier trade could get him. Whether or not he seriously intended to shop Lecavalier is the problem: Habs fans will insist that his intention was that Lawton wanted Lecavalier gone ASAP, while Bolts fans will argue that he wasn't being serious about trading him.

The problem, as Habs fans like to point out, is that Tampa Bay management and ownership have been rather...odd ball when it comes to dealing with their personnel and players, with several highly publicized incidents, such as the hiring and firing of Melrose and the signing and trading of Dan Boyle.

This is further complicated when we are presented with baseless rumours and stories that have been conjured up by the Montreal media. The same Montreal media that has made mountains out of molehills and have had legendary Habs players appear on television and cry about some nebulous rumours. We have had stories about how Tampa absolutely had to move Lecavalier by the 15th because of some sort of bonus pay, amongst a litany of other 'stories' manufactured by 'former NHL referees' whose credibility should be unquestionable.

Just like the aforementioned La Presse story that broke last Friday that snookered supposedly reputable Habs alumni.

Unfortunately, Habs fans refuse to acknowledge that there has been a LOT of blarney surrounding Lecavalier and his being traded, just as Bolts fans tend to downplay the circus like atmosphere that has, at times, characterized ownership/management. At the end of the day, Lecavalier is still a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Montreal press can be wrong about things and sometimes even LIE, and Bob Gainey cannot be seen as a person who tells the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth all the time, given that other supposedly trustworthy 'Habs' have been prone to being misled or making mistakes.

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:13 AM
  #25
grabo84
Registered User
 
grabo84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Or perhaps it has more to do with the fact that "Habs fans" have blown things out of proportion.

The way I've seen this whole spectacle is that Lawton may have made some calls to gauge interest in what a Lecavalier trade could get him. Whether or not he seriously intended to shop Lecavalier is the problem: Habs fans will insist that his intention was that Lawton wanted Lecavalier gone ASAP, while Bolts fans will argue that he wasn't being serious about trading him.

The problem, as Habs fans like to point out, is that Tampa Bay management and ownership have been rather...odd ball when it comes to dealing with their personnel and players, with several highly publicized incidents, such as the hiring and firing of Melrose and the signing and trading of Dan Boyle.

This is further complicated when we are presented with baseless rumours and stories that have been conjured up by the Montreal media. The same Montreal media that has made mountains out of molehills and have had legendary Habs players appear on television and cry about some nebulous rumours. We have had stories about how Tampa absolutely had to move Lecavalier by the 15th because of some sort of bonus pay, amongst a litany of other 'stories' manufactured by 'former NHL referees' whose credibility should be unquestionable.

Just like the aforementioned La Presse story that broke last Friday that snookered supposedly reputable Habs alumni.

Unfortunately, Habs fans refuse to acknowledge that there has been a LOT of blarney surrounding Lecavalier and his being traded, just as Bolts fans tend to downplay the circus like atmosphere that has, at times, characterized ownership/management. At the end of the day, Lecavalier is still a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Montreal press can be wrong about things and sometimes even LIE, and Bob Gainey cannot be seen as a person who tells the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth all the time, given that other supposedly trustworthy 'Habs' have been prone to being misled or making mistakes.
I completely agree with you up until the very end. I mean, Gainey's a GM. He equivocates, and he doesn't always answer questions directly. But when he says something directly, and on the record, I take it as gospel truth. I really think he's one of the most honest men in hockey. And i'm a Leafs fan.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.