HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Its time to offer Halak!!

Old
02-25-2009, 07:37 AM
Markovskaya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lint07 View Post
BRILLIANT avatar!

Well done.
Lol yours cool too haha

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 08:03 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
While I disagree with the premise of trading him....

See case Mathieu Garon. Despite the Voukon comparisons (which I assume are because he's from Eastern Europe), Halak is a carbon copy of Garon's situation during the Theodore days.

Ultimately, he was dealt, and for a very, very healthy return.
It was Bonk + Huet for Garon + 3rd or if you prefer 3rd for Bonk and Garon for Huet.

While Huet turned very well for us he was a nobody when we traded for him and no one (including Gainey) expected much from Huet.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 09:18 PM
DeVries*

Trading Halak, are your kidding? Price just realized he's a man in a professional team and that he is acting like a dumb ass in front of his fans. Price have no more concentration and seem more than depressive. And you want to trade our only goalie who's working hard, wants to learn, wants to play and wants to win? Good job.

Halak should get the number one spot for the rest of the season and series. Price could think about his attitude and work hard to deserve the job. Talent isn't everything ; he'll learn it that way.

Next year he'll have to fight with Halak during pre season to earn the number one spot. That's it ; stop that Jesus Price BS. He proved nothing in the NHL except that he's a party playboy.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Teufelsdreck

Don't get carried away, mes amis. Halak isn't a top echelon goaltender, just a capable backup.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 10:41 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Don't get carried away, mes amis. Halak isn't a top echelon goaltender, just a capable backup.
Haleks the best goalie I have ever seen in Hamilton. His potential is high.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 10:54 PM
StlRams514

Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
I've never wanted to trade Halak, and I'm sure I never will.
Simply, he is more valuable to us than he is to any other team. There is no real need for goaltenders around the league on any competing team, and nobody will be offering picks plus for a goalie like Halak, like it or not.
I'd much rather have a solid backup to Carey, who is very fragile at the moment, than have to rely on some washup like Marc Denis to make a deep playoff run if Price gets injured/plays poorly.

StlRams514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viau View Post
Trading Halak, are your kidding? Price just realized he's a man in a professional team and that he is acting like a dumb ass in front of his fans. Price have no more concentration and seem more than depressive. And you want to trade our only goalie who's working hard, wants to learn, wants to play and wants to win? Good job.

Halak should get the number one spot for the rest of the season and series. Price could think about his attitude and work hard to deserve the job. Talent isn't everything ; he'll learn it that way.

Next year he'll have to fight with Halak during pre season to earn the number one spot. That's it ; stop that Jesus Price BS. He proved nothing in the NHL except that he's a party playboy.
I agreed !!

Jaroslav is very underrated and he might have a better career than Carey Price, we never know. Carey is looking more like future Jim Carey right now more than future Roberto Luongo... Price needs to work harder to get his job back.

It was too easy for him the past 2 years. The guy finished his junior career year, won the gold medal with team Canada, won the Calder cup, got the number 1 goaltender job on a plate last year, voted to be the starter in the All-Star game this year, even though he wasn't that good...

I don't know what Halak could do more to prove the Media he's good and that he's more than just a back-up

Halak proved to everyone that he is an NHL caliber goalie. He deserves a chance to prove what he can do. No more free ride for Price I hope...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
I agreed !!

Jaroslav is very underrated and he might have a better career than Carey Price, we never know. Carey is looking more like future Jim Carey right now more than future Roberto Luongo... Price needs to work harder to get his job back. :
Everyone throws Jim Carey out there, but nobody seems to know who he was.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Carey Price: 42-24 (.636), .912, 2.67
Jaroslav Halak: 26-17 (.604), .911, 2.83

The difference in those numbers is not enough to convince me that Price is the superior goalie. If I had to pick one I'd go with Carey, but Halak has put up great numbers at every level and has done pretty well in the NHL so far, especially considering he's never had much of a chance to get into any rhythm.

Right now we have two solid young goalies and I think both of them are good enough to be starters in this league right now. It would be a huge mistake to take away Price's competition and get rid of a promising goaltender before he gets the chance to show the league what he's worth. Keep Halak.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 08:11 AM
WestIslander

If Price picks it up before the trade deadline

If Price picks it up before the deadline then I can really see Gainey offering Halak at the deadline or at the draft in June. Reason being that Halak will never be given the starting job full time ahead of Price because then everyone would question Gainey's, Timmins and the teams judgment on picking him 5th overall in 2005.

I can really see Halak as a starter in this league, however we have to wait for when there is a market for goalies (hence Anaheim losing Bryzgalov for nothing!). Some teams currently looking for goaltending help may be Ottawa, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Colorado and maybe even the New York (Islanders) if DiPietro is out another season (which might happen).

I would like to see Halak packaged with a prospect like Fischer a 2nd round pick and maybe a young roster player for a veteran backup goalie and a big center or a young puck moving defenseman.

AND NO! I WOULDN'T GIVE UP ON PRICE AND TRADE HIM.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 08:12 AM
HotHabsFan*

Oh boy, this isn't going to finish well ! good luck on this one !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 08:12 AM
AH

How is he going to pick it up before the deadline when he is probably not going to play the games this weekend?

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 08:13 AM
CareyPrice x 31

vCash: 3907
he wont play, so what exactly is he picking up?

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
If Price picks it up before the deadline then I can really see Gainey offering Halak at the deadline or at the draft in June. Reason being that Halak will never be given the starting job full time ahead of Price because then everyone would question Gainey's, Timmins and the teams judgment on picking him 5th overall in 2005.

I can really see Halak as a starter in this league, however we have to wait for when there is a market for goalies (hence Anaheim losing Bryzgalov for nothing!). Some teams currently looking for goaltending help may be Ottawa, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Colorado and maybe even the New York (Islanders) if DiPietro is out another season (which might happen).

I would like to see Halak packaged with a prospect like Fischer a 2nd round pick and maybe a young roster player for a veteran backup goalie and a big center or a young puck moving defenseman.

AND NO! I WOULDN'T GIVE UP ON PRICE AND TRADE HIM.
How can you trade Halak right now? Price will get 1 start before the deadline if that. You can't "get it back" in one game.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

If Price is back on "game shape" before march fourth, i think Bob will try to move Halak.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 08:15 AM
WestIslander

I think it will be Halak in Philadelphia and Price in Montreal against San Jose.

Old
02-26-2009, 08:19 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Why would we want to trade Halak? We have him at a cheap contract for several more years. Let him grow another year and thus see his value increase even more.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 08:20 AM
malton

Halak is proving to be a solid starting goalie in this league, but i don't think his trade value is nearly as high as it should be. Price could fetch you a top tier player even at this moment while Halak is being used as bait to bring in a rental. I'm a big Halak fan but i still believe price is the goalie of the future. I'm in favour of riding Halak this year until Price gets his **** in order and maybe moving him at the draft. There is no way you can trade him now.

malton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 08:21 AM
CareyPrice x 31

vCash: 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
Why would we want to trade Halak? We have him at a cheap contract for several more years. Let him grow another year and thus see his value increase even more.
1 more year, not several

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 08:23 AM
jnthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
1 more year, not several
Is he UFA at the end of that year?

Old
02-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Judge Sauer*

There was a congestion of goalies last year with Huet, Price, Halak, Danis. This year we have our top 4 as Price, Halak, Denis, Desjardins.

There is absolutely no reason to trade Halak at this time. Huet was traded and Danis was let go, this releived the pressure on the congestion in the goalie position. No need to trade anyone now for the sake of trading.
Using the "veteran" goalie arguement is nonesense as Halak has been playing really well, trading him for a back-up that hasn't been playing as often and probably isn't playing as well is a step backwards.

The Habs have a scary tandem of Price/Halak, no need to downgrade for the sake of a trade.

Halak will be an RFA after next season as will Price

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
We have two games before the deadline and Price might not even play. I guess he could pick it up at practice.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 08:29 AM
WestIslander

No, he is making $750,000.00 this season and $800,000.00 next season and then is a RFA in 2010/2011

Old
02-26-2009, 08:30 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
Is he UFA at the end of that year?
No.....

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 08:31 AM
jnthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
No.....
Thus he'll probably still be at a cheap contract. Backup RFAs don't make too much money. That's what I meant by several years cheap