HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We catch a break in standings

Old
02-24-2009, 10:33 PM
totalrecall

vCash: 500
We catch a break in standings

5 Habs Won 2
6 NY Rangers Lost 2
7 Florida Lost 1
8 Buffalo Lost 1

9 Carolina Lost 1
10 Pittsburgh Lost 1

http://tsn.ca/nhl/standings/

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

It's not really a break, we have been losing for a month and they have been winning. The law of averages is on our side.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 06:39 AM
3TB3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's not really a break, we have been losing for a month and they have been winning. The law of averages is on our side.
but don't gat carried away. in 2 0f the last 3 wins in colorado and last night, the habs were clearly the 2nd best team on the ice and only halak standing on his head saved them.

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 06:49 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TB3 View Post
but don't gat carried away. in 2 0f the last 3 wins in colorado and last night, the habs were clearly the 2nd best team on the ice and only halak standing on his head saved them.
you win as a team, you lose as a team.
Do I disagree with you that the Canucks were the better team last night, absolutly not, but that doesnt matter. Halak is paid to stop the puck.

you arent guarenteed to win just because you are the better team on the ice.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 06:58 AM
Habs4thewin

Agreed,

It happened during the course of this season that we dominate the other team and we lost.. At the end of the year, you get the points that you deserved...

Habs4thewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 07:38 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
you win as a team, you lose as a team.
Do I disagree with you that the Canucks were the better team last night, absolutly not, but that doesnt matter. Halak is paid to stop the puck.

you arent guarenteed to win just because you are the better team on the ice.
Yeah but the team can't largely depend on a single individual every night to come out with the win.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 07:59 AM
onice

Quote:
Melanson

We need a new goalie coach. Where did he develop that style of goaltending?

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Yeah but the team can't largely depend on a single individual every night to come out with the win.
last night it was Halak.
On another night it will be someone else who will step up.
Its a team sport, thats how it works.

Old
02-25-2009, 08:38 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
last night it was Halak.
On another night it will be someone else who will step up.
Its a team sport, thats how it works.
On every night its going to have to be Halak to step with the way this team has played for 20 games. While he was superhuman last night, no goalie in the world can do that every night. The team is still brutal despite 2 wins and i blame Carbo's system.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
On every night its going to have to be Halak to step with the way this team has played for 20 games. While he was superhuman last night, no goalie in the world can do that every night. The team is still brutal despite 2 wins and i blame Carbo's system.
brutal is pushing it.
The last 4 games have been a DRASTIC improovement.

Before that I will give you the title of brutal. But since the game in Washington, the players look alot more interested.
Despite giving up alot of shots way to often, they are often shots from the outside.
Last night no, last night they gave WAY to many chances to the Canucks, but against Ottawa, not to many dangerous chances.

Thats been the Habs for a while now, they give up alot of shots from the outside which are not dangerous.

Old
02-25-2009, 08:56 AM
GoodKiwi

This team is not going anywhere in the post season unless some drastic improvements are made. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding himself.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
This team is not going anywhere in the post season unless some drastic improvements are made. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding himself.
noone anywhere in here said the habs were going anywhere in the playoffs.

Old
02-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I don't think it's necessarily the 2nd best team on the ice. Carbo likes sitting on leads by having 4 guys back. I don't agree with it, just saying that's why get outshot in the 3rd when leading(Ottawa Vancouver and Colorado).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 09:07 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think it's necessarily the 2nd best team on the ice. Carbo likes sitting on leads by having 4 guys back. I don't agree with it, just saying that's why get outshot in the 3rd when leading(Ottawa Vancouver and Colorado).
was the 2nd period yesterdya as well.
shots were 11-2 before Burrows got his major.
Without that penalty, habs dont bring it close in shots.

Old
02-25-2009, 09:07 AM
marioroberge

Quote:
brutal is pushing it.
The last 4 games have been a DRASTIC improovement.

Before that I will give you the title of brutal. But since the game in Washington, the players look alot more interested.
Despite giving up alot of shots way to often, they are often shots from the outside.
Last night no, last night they gave WAY to many chances to the Canucks, but against Ottawa, not to many dangerous chances.

Thats been the Habs for a while now, they give up alot of shots from the outside which are not dangerous.
I agree with everything here. P

eople need to relax and not over analyze games. They played great in the first last night, got the lead and tried to protect. They do this whenever they have a lead. The final shot count doesn't represent that the Canadiens tried to play defensive hockey in the third. The problem is that their defense lately has not been good enough to play this type of game effectively. They need to play to their strengths and attack.

marioroberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Its easy to look back only on the negative. But this same D-corp, without Schneider, did really good in the first 44 games of this season. A playoff run is much more about gaining momentum and having a team with confidence than it is about how you produced in the regular season.

I look at some of the games they won against high end teams this year before the collapse and the Habs played really good in a lot of those games. I also look at the calendar the Habs have till the end of the season, which is relatively easy end of season they will get, and if they play like they did in the last 4 games, the Habs will be able to build a lot of confidence and momentum. They will probably reach 100 points, as they have 21 games left and 29 points to get.

Its too easy to do the simplistic 1+1 of the Habs being awful in over a mouth equaling playoff non-success, but life is way more complicated than that, and so is hockey. I wouldn't be surprised if the Habs end-up in the conference finals this year, but yeah, to you I'm probably crazy.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 09:22 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the Habs end-up in the conference finals this year, but yeah, to you I'm probably crazy.
Not just to me, but to 90% of posters here.

Old
02-25-2009, 09:25 AM
MathMan

It's a mistake to look at individual games and individual days in isolation. The pure mathematical reality is that every two points that can be gained has the same importance, particularly for a well-positioned team like Montreal.

Because, lest we forget, the Canadiens are not on the bubble and looking in -- they are in 5th and being chased. They don't need to play better than the teams behind them to maintain this position -- they only need to do as well. They can even allow three of the teams behind them to pass them and still make it. Or they can look up at Philly and try to re-catch them.

Of all the Eastern teams "fighting for a playoff spot", Montreal is clearly in the best position. They can even take themselves out of this group with a good win streak that would put them back on a 100-point pace.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Not just to me, but to 90% of posters here.
Bookmark this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
It's a mistake to look at individual games and individual days in isolation. The pure mathematical reality is that every two points that can be gained has the same importance, particularly for a well-positioned team like Montreal.

Because, lest we forget, the Canadiens are not on the bubble and looking in -- they are in 5th and being chased. They don't need to play better than the teams behind them to maintain this position -- they only need to do as well. They can even allow three of the teams behind them to pass them and still make it. Or they can look up at Philly and try to re-catch them.

Of all the Eastern teams "fighting for a playoff spot", Montreal is clearly in the best position. They can even take themselves out of this group with a good win streak that would put them back on a 100-point pace.
And they've got the perfect schedule in March to do just that.

I wouldn't be surprised if they only lose 6 games in their last 21, especially since they all seem to be pushing in the same direction, just like they did between mid-December and mid-January.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-25-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old
02-25-2009, 09:29 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Bookmark this thread.
I use user notes for that, but I don't like your statement. The way you put it gives you a chance to wiggle out of it later, and I like saving remarks which are more definitive.

Old
02-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I use user notes for that, but I don't like your statement. The way you put it gives you a chance to wiggle out of it later, I saving remarks which are more definitive.
The point of the statement was not be able of wiggling out of it later on, but rather to show that present results won't have any incidence on a playoff run. Just like Philly last season who played horribly in January, going without a win in 10 games, and then making it to the conference finals. The point is, it has EVERYTHING to do with momentum and confidence. That's why its not crazy to think the Habs might surprise us in the playoffs.

Old
02-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
noone anywhere in here said the habs were going anywhere in the playoffs.
Habs are going to win the Cup

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:34 AM
sakiaba

To elaborate on this some, I had a look at this comparison of teams' strength of schedule:

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nhl/easternsosrg.html

While I don't know how the ratio of home to road games breaks down for each team (and, given the Habs' inability to win on the road, this does matter), it's worth pointing out that they have the league's second weakest schedule from here on out (two games against Toronto, Ottawa, Atlanta, and the Islanders). Also, the only team they have a chance of catching, the Flyers, has one of the strongest. Notably in trouble are the Rangers, whose remaining schedule is brutal.

Of course, they may win some games they're 'supposed' to lose, and (almost assuredly, given their recent play) will lose some they're 'supposed' to win, especially given how loose some of these teams may be once the pressure’s off. But still, better this than playing Boston and New Jersey several times each, eh?

Quote:
Bookmark this thread.

And they've got the perfect schedule in March to do just that.

I wouldn't be surprised if they only lose 6 games in their last 21, especially since they all seem to be pushing in the same direction, just like they did between mid-December and mid-January.

sakiaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakiaba View Post
To elaborate on this some, I had a look at this comparison of teams' strength of schedule:

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nhl/easternsosrg.html

While I don't know how the ratio of home to road games breaks down for each team (and, given the Habs' inability to win on the road, this does matter), it's worth pointing out that they have the league's second weakest schedule from here on out (two games against Toronto, Ottawa, Atlanta, and the Islanders). Also, the only team they have a chance of catching, the Flyers, has one of the strongest. Notably in trouble are the Rangers, whose remaining schedule is brutal.

Of course, they may win some games they're 'supposed' to lose, and (almost assuredly, given their recent play) will lose some they're 'supposed' to win, especially given how loose some of these teams may be once the pressure’s off. But still, better this than playing Boston and New Jersey several times each, eh?
That's gonna give the Habs some much needed confidence and momentum, just in time for the playoffs.