HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do with Kovalev?

Old
02-26-2009, 10:18 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What does Kovalev's role have to do with other guys stepping up to make plays. It's not like he plays the whole game and always has the puck.

Crosby being in Pittsburgh never stopped Malkin from becoming a star...you theory holds no water.
sure it does...

Yes, no other forward on the Habs gets as much icetime as Kovalev, in key situations like he does. This year, for the amount of icetime he gets, he's just simply not delivering the expected numbers...when others, namely Kostitsyn, have gotten that opportunity, he has delivered (although on a smaller sample).

And yes, when Kovalev is on the ice, he always has the puck...when in a board battle, he doesn't try to cycle and pass it to one of his linemates, he has to to carry it himself around the back of the net, all the way to the other side, etc...

I can accept that from Kovalev when it works, but when it's not, like this year, he needs to switch it up.

Just like Gainey said when he sat him for two games...he's taking on too much and trying to find all the solutions by himself.

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:26 AM
Stubbs88

yeah lets get rid of kovalev..how dare he have an off season, get sat out, come out and say he loves playing montreal, say he is ready to play..then what does he do..he comes out and gets 7 points in 3 games...obviosly the wake up call didn't work.

Lets put this guy on the market and take what we can get, hopefully we can get a 4th round pick because this guys is just not what this team needs....

Stubbs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 04:28 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I know people have a hard time with the idea of trading Kovalev but at some point Gainey has to think about what's best for the team.
Thank God, it's Gainey at the GM post and not disappointed hero worshippers who seem to expect a $4.5M player to score 3 points every night and if not, he should "GTFO".

What's best for the TEAM is the same as in 2004. It is to get our hands on an impact player for little cost. Hey, I hear Alexei Kovalev is anxious to play for our team. Bob, do what you have to do to ensure he plays here!!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Johnny Hotrox

Anyone notice how quiet it gets after Kovy plays a solid game?

Johnny Hotrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Habskrieg

Is there a storm coming?

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Erik Estrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotrox View Post
Anyone notice how quiet it gets after Kovy plays a solid game?
Yesterday's game should change little in Kovalev's evaluation. I don't know if he should be traded, but he's still an issue that needs to be dealt with. He still coasts, glides without moving his legs on the forecheck, he's a good special teams player but he piles most of his points on the PP because there's little skating involved and he touches the puck every second pass...

Our PP will continue being good this season not because of Kovalev, but because Markov can use his whole arsenal from his natural Left D position following the acquisition of a competent Right D. I've bitten my tongue in the past and I'll live happily with the club we have on March 5th, but Gainey should consider Kovalev's play this week as only one part of the big picture.

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 02-28-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Iwishihadacup

I still hope he gets traded, I just hope we can have something serviceable for him

Tanguay-Koivu-D'Agostini (this line was good)
MaxPac-Plekanec-Andrei K (drool)
Kostopoulos-Lapierre-Latendresse
Stewart-Metro(chipchura)-Laraque

Would you really have any problem with this lineup?

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 09:04 AM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
I still hope he gets traded, I just hope we can have something serviceable for him

Tanguay-Koivu-D'Agostini (this line was good)
MaxPac-Plekanec-Andrei K (drool)
Kostopoulos-Lapierre-Latendresse
Stewart-Metro(chipchura)-Laraque

Would you really have any problem with this lineup?
I wish we can trade you in this board to another teams forum so we wouldn't have to hear your stupidity...Kovalev gets traded this team won't even make the playoffs...we'll go as far as Kovy and the goalie takes us.

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Erik Estrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
I wish we can trade you in this board to another teams forum so we wouldn't have to hear your stupidity...Kovalev gets traded this team won't even make the playoffs...we'll go as far as Kovy and the goalie takes us.
"Kovalev gets traded this team won't even make the playoffs"

If we have a team to make the playoffs, we'll make them with or without Kovalev.

Old
02-28-2009, 09:17 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
"Kovalev gets traded this team won't even make the playoffs"

If we have a team to make the playoffs, we'll make them with or without Kovalev.

LOL wow. Yeah with or without our leading scorer, won't change a thing .

Some peoples kids..

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 09:18 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
seriously?

if you break down the lines one by one, not by looking at the great picture, do you have any problem with any of those lines?

No all of those are good lines, but if Kovalev is not there we don't make the playoffs? Show me your damn crystal ball

Old
02-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post

Some peoples kids..
Plekanec+Andrei K without Kovalev>>>>>Kovalev

Old
02-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Erik Estrada

Quote:

Some peoples kids..
He was our leading scorer 3 years ago. He had a much better season than this one. Were you satisfied with how far we went in the playoffs? And what's up with the petty insults?

Old
02-28-2009, 09:29 AM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
seriously?

if you break down the lines one by one, not by looking at the great picture, do you have any problem with any of those lines?

No all of those are good lines, but if Kovalev is not there we don't make the playoffs? Show me your damn crystal ball
my crystal ball is in chicago right now.

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 09:33 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
He was our leading scorer 2 years ago. He had a much better season than this one. Were you satisfied with how far we went in the playoffs? And what's up with the petty insults?
Because you are the prototypical Kovy blinded by hate basher. If Koivu or Kostitsyn were having the season Kovy is, they are a ****ing legend!

Take Daniel Sedin off the Vancouver Canucks, does it effect their playoff hopes? Of course it does!
Take Eric Staal off the Canes, does it effect their playoff hopes? Of course its does.

But somehow, to you, take the leading scorer off the habs and it doesn't change a thing. Brilliant!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Because you are the prototypical Kovy blinded by hate basher. If Koivu or Kostitsyn were having the season Kovy is, they are a ****ing legend!

Take Daniel Sedin off the Vancouver Canucks, does it effect their playoff hopes? Of course it does!
Take Eric Staal off the Canes, does it effect their playoff hopes? Of course its does.

But somehow, to you, take the leading scorer off the habs and it doesn't change a thing. Brilliant!
these guys are making people around them better, and they play good with anybody

Kovalev is playing for Kovalev and if you play him with anybody else than Plekanec, he slouch and play like he don'T care

Andrei plays great with everybody, same thing for Koivu

Old
02-28-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Thank God, it's Gainey at the GM post and not disappointed hero worshippers who seem to expect a $4.5M player to score 3 points every night and if not, he should "GTFO".

What's best for the TEAM is the same as in 2004. It is to get our hands on an impact player for little cost. Hey, I hear Alexei Kovalev is anxious to play for our team. Bob, do what you have to do to ensure he plays here!!
Kovalev may 'only' make 4.5M...but his presence on the team is that of a franchise player almost, the amount of icetime he gets, he needs to play like he did last night...not necessarily produce on a night to night basis like last night, but play like he did.

He used his linemates alot more vs. Philly and there was more substance to his game and less style. If he plays like that, he's great, but when he reverts to his individualistic play, he's as good as useless.

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Yesterday's game should change little in Kovalev's evaluation. I don't know if he should be traded, but he's still an issue that needs to be dealt with. He still coasts, glides without moving his legs on the forecheck, he's a good special teams player but he piles most of his points on the PP because there's little skating involved and he touches the puck every second pass...

Our PP will continue being good this season not because of Kovalev, but because Markov can use his whole arsenal from his natural Left D position following the acquisition of a competent Right D. I've bitten my tongue in the past and I'll live happily with the club we have on March 5th, but Gainey should consider Kovalev's play this week as only one part of the big picture.
Excellent post. I was telling my wife during last night's game how bad Kovalev was playing when he scored his lucky goal. People get blinded with his points without looking at his overall game. Love is blind.

Quote:

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ~ Eric Hoffer

Trade him to clear cap space, load up on picks/prospects, then pull the trigger on a bigger trade. Simple as that!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:00 PM
kovaless

you don't trade kovalev now....
He just started to finally click with pleks
-Do not take away #1 source for scoring 20 games before the playoffs (when we still might now make it)
-He can still probably hit 65 points before the playoffs, and have 20 points in the post season when it's gonna count

if anything, get to the playoffs, do your best. If you're out in the first round just don't resign him next year. Seriously, if we are out in the first round...it ain't gonna matter if we had kovy or not, he wasn't the problem

-We are not going get a vinny or kovalchuck for kovy...it just ain't gonna happen. Teams are looking to unload salary, and taking kovy in return is not doing that

kovaless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:03 PM
kovalost27

I love the logic behind trading Kovalev...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg riot.jpg‎ (52.1 KB, 14 views)

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Johnny Hotrox

Quote:
these guys are making people around them better, and they play good with anybody

Kovalev is playing for Kovalev and if you play him with anybody else than Plekanec, he slouch and play like he don'T care

Andrei plays great with everybody, same thing for Koivu
This board just kills me sometimes! Kovy has 31 assists but doesn't make anyone else better, AKost has 16 assists, but he plays great with everybody.

If AKost is playing great, than by that standard, everyone should pipe down about Kovy's play.

BTW, for those that grouse about Kovy's defense, he's one of the BEST penalty killers on the team. But I'm sure you want more from the 36 year old making 4.5 mil.

Old
02-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
So last night was another lazy, uninspired game by Kovalev (probably about #50 this year). Sure he looked great for one game after his two game break but I don't think that should fool anyone.

So I wonder, if Gainey traded Kovalev for simply a draft pick (late first or second rounder), would the team really be any worse? What area would the team be worse in? With Tanguay coming back we will be adding another top 6 forward and Andrei Kostitsyn could move to the right side so problem solved there.

Plus moving Kovalev would free up cap space for Gainey to possibly bring in a defenseman and/or forward.

And realistically, is Kovalev going to be back next year? Can anyone here(outside of fanboys) honestly say they would sign him to a multi year deal, because that's what he'll want.
If Kovalev can look as lazy as he did yesterday for the rest of season+PO, we'll be in the money.

The man got 3pts. I don't care how bad he looked, if he produces as he has been the past games, we'll be winning.

3-0 since his ''return'', 7pts in 3GP..hmmm I think I'm willing to be a little more patient.
Unless we get a significant return, getting rid of him now wouldn't benefit the team more than hurt it.
We seem to be getting our wings back, Halak has been solid as a rock, Kovy/Plek are producing, and our PP is on fire.

So no, I wouldn't move Kovy unless it's an amazing return.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Johnny Hotrox

Quote:
seriously?

No need for a crystal ball, the team missed the playoffs 4 out of 5 years before Kovy came to Montreal. I'm sure some posters will find a way to blame that on him too.

Old
02-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The man got 3pts. I don't care how bad he looked, if he produces as he has been the past games, we'll be winning.
Yeah, but did you see how lazy those points were? So lazy, and they didn't include Andrei Kostitsyn, therefore it wasn't even real goals. Even his goal, it bounced off of Nitti's shoulder and in. Andrei Kostitsyn would have broke Nitti's shoulder and the net twine. So what if it would have brought Martin Biron in who loves to murder us, ANDREI KOSTITSYN MAN!

If Alex Kovalev doesn't stop producing on Tomas Plekanec and Andrei Kostitsyn's line, I'm going to flip out! I mean, Andrei Kostitsyn gets clearly outclassed by both players because he can't control the puck as well and it makes him look bad. It's all Kovy's fault! Why can't he not get points so Carbo breaks up the line?

For shame!

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Plekanec+Andrei K without Kovalev>>>>>Kovalev
Plekanec is still the same with or without Kovalev. Andrei, thats another case. The solution is to put Andrei on the first line with Koivu and Tanguay when he comes back.

Your hate against Kovalev is absurd. I like the Paciretty, D'Agostini but they are still young. You cannot count on them in the playoff to score many goals. Kovalev in the other hand had always been one our best forward.

Habs are better with a good Kovalev than without bad Kovalev.

It might be a pure coincidence but Habs lost 2 games without Kovalev and won 3 straight with Kovalev(2G-5A-7PTS). If you cannot admit Kovalev was a part of the success of at least 2 of his 3 last games then you are clearly blinded by your hate.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote