HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Confirmed: Mark Bell claimed (UPDATE: Sent down to HFD)

Old
02-25-2009, 01:41 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
The only connection I see is if we're afraid of losing Avery to a team above us on the waiver list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
But does he have the inside track on the 15 other GM's who'll have a crack at Avery first? There's got to be a couple who think Avery @ $1.875 can be an asset to their team for the next 3 years even if this one is essentially over for them.
Of course Brooks doesn't have his finger on the pulse of anyone outside of the Metro area, at best. He seems to think Avery is an untouchable anywhere but here. I tend to disagree. Call me crazy but I think Pitt grabs him. I can see 2 or 3 teams really kicking the tires. Question is are the above us or below.

But like I said, the only way I see Bell being related to Avery is if we're afraid of the waiver claims. Otherwise this is an independent move of Voros and Avery (Avery being a replacement of Voros).

I want Avery but I'm not afraid of getting beaten to the punch. I'm worried that this is some putty to fill in a hole left by Callahan to get Tkachuk. If, big IF, the rumors are true and St. Louis is eyeing a young American in our organization, I am more than a little disturbed by the similiarities between Cally and Bell. Cally has a bit more offense right now but Bell compensates with size, both aren't the best scorers but can play an aggressive and physical game. Worried.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

This doesn't mean anything but Voros is finished. Nothing about Dawes, nothing about Cally, and nothing about Avery.

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Wow another desperate attempt to save his skin! Your tellin me not one guy on the Pack could fill the roll this guy can? Not one guy on the pack is good enough to replace Aaron Voros? Christ no wonder we signed Rissmiller...........

Only way this makes any sense is if it's a placeholder for another trade. What is the Dawes/Clgy rumor anyhow I missed it?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Blazephr

wonderful...another guy who loses every single fight.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Larry Melnyk

Another thing I like about TORTS (and this move) is that, altough a hard ass, he doesn't always dress worthless goons like Orr when they are not needed..Over his last three years in Tampa, he dressed a goon soemthing like 34 games (if you want to call Dingman a goon), 51 games (roy) and 61 games..Orr's number should be somewherein that range and not every game like with Renney..Hopefully, Torts doesn't dress him every night..A tough and more skilled guy like Bell would be better against many opponents..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
Our place on the waiver pick-ups is placed according to our record, it doesn't move like it does in Fantasy hockey. So there are 15 or so teams worse in the standings that can pick up Avery before us.
Avery has made it clear he only wants to come to the Rangers.

Knowing this, and knowing Averys personality do you really think any other team would be stupid enough to pick him up?

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:18 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
When/where?

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:20 PM
London Knights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Another thing I like about TORTS (and this move) is that, altough a hard ass, he doesn't always dress worthless goons like Orr when they are not needed..Over his last three years in Tampa, he dressed a goon soemthing like 34 games (if you want to call Dingman a goon), 51 games (roy) and 61 games..Orr's number should be somewherein that range and not every game like with Renney..Hopefully, Torts doesn't dress him every night..A tough and more skilled guy like Bell would be better against many opponents..
A problem however is that Torts hates lazy players. That was what did Bell in while under Ron Wilson in San Jose. Bell doesn't play defense and takes too many shifts off on the physical play side of the game. If he isn't scoring, he isn't worth a roster spot and unfortunately for Bell, he hasn't scored in 3 years (consistently, not literally).

London Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:21 PM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post

Knowing this, and knowing Averys personality do you really think any other team would be stupid enough to pick him up?
Just curious. If another team claims him and he just says I don't want to play for that team. What happens?

FATCHAMALA11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:22 PM
pzilla3

Why is it people are so upset about this? He adds depth, is obviously expendable, and brings NHL experience to the table. I would understand if it was Avery and people were pissed, but this is a safe move that may prove useful.

pzilla3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
I wonder if the Rangers will unretire the number 9 of Graves and Bathgate for the legendary Mark Bell.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:23 PM
pzilla3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post
Just curious. If another team claims him and he just says I don't want to play for that team. What happens?
That team would probably try to trade him or re waive him. Once you're exposed to the waiver wire you have no say in where you go.

pzilla3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:42 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzilla3 View Post
Why is it people are so upset about this? He adds depth, is obviously expendable, and brings NHL experience to the table. I would understand if it was Avery and people were pissed, but this is a safe move that may prove useful.
Right, there's really no risk and he's a UFA at the end of the year. Salary impact is negligible this late in the season.

Massive roster shakeups are nearly impossible since the advent of the cap, why not make small moves on low risk options to make changes? A guy who's trying to make it back to the NHL, like Bell, is motivated to challenge someone sucking up a roster spot which will then motivate current roster players to play better.

vipernsx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:46 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

He has had some decent years.

A couple 20+ goal seasons.

Better option then Voros. But that is not saying much.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:48 PM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
it wont make us any worse then we already are...but at the same time not better either

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Knights View Post
A problem however is that Torts hates lazy players. That was what did Bell in while under Ron Wilson in San Jose. Bell doesn't play defense and takes too many shifts off on the physical play side of the game. If he isn't scoring, he isn't worth a roster spot and unfortunately for Bell, he hasn't scored in 3 years (consistently, not literally).
Agree that if he is the lazy player he was in SJ (where his person problems came to a full head) TORTS will and should see him as worthless..But would they have opicked him up if they thought this? Anyway, Can't say I have watched him this year for ther MARLIES but from what I have read, effort and work ethic were not a problem at all...But, like most Rangers, production was..Still, perhaps he has remolded himslef into a hard working 3rd-4th liner..I don't know but hopefully we will get the chance to see

Old
02-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Abooch68

And there you have it our trade deadline move haha

Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Nick00

Voros will be traded at the deadline, this is to fill his role.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
Voros will be traded at the deadline, this is to fill his role.
Doesn't Voros have two more years left on his contract? You think people are going to be lining up to trade for a guy that Sather over-spent for and has done nothing for 4 months? Now, Voros in Hartford is another story...

Old
02-25-2009, 03:10 PM
pain2007

Quote:
if he refuses to report to the team that claims him or their minor league affiliate he could be suspended without pay. media would have a field day and his reputation (outside of new york) would go further down the toilet.

pain2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Doesn't Voros have two more years left on his contract? You think people are going to be lining up to trade for a guy that Sather over-spent for and has done nothing for 4 months? Now, Voros in Hartford is another story...
Yeah, 900,000 each of the next two years.
He'll be thrown in as part of a package, just to get rid of him.
Probably along with Gomez, if he's traded.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:19 PM
NYRFAN218
Brass God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pain2007 View Post
if he refuses to report to the team that claims him or their minor league affiliate he could be suspended without pay. media would have a field day and his reputation (outside of new york) would go further down the toilet.
I don't see him doing it as not reporting could do some serious damage as in his career might be over since no one would want him.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:

Worthless goons like Orr!...Wow...shocker! Another pathetic dig from Larry Melnyk on a guy that has worked his way onto a lineup, and deserves to stick around. I'll take the guy that gives 110% everygame, sticks up for his teammates whenever it's called for...not to mention the 500k pricetag.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:26 PM
glees68

Send a message via AIM to glees68
If Avery goes somewhere he doesn't want to, that team would probably be screwed. It could be Dallas Part 2.

glees68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Nothing, he has to play for them, however its SEAN AVERY were talking about here.

With his reputation, do you really think another team would do that?

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote