HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Burke Sets Price on Kaberle

Old
02-25-2009, 04:31 PM
JimEIV

vCash: 500
Quote:
Burke said he wouldn't divulge the entire details but he would be looking for a return similar to what he gave up to acquire Chris Pronger in 2006 when he was Anaheim's GM.

To get Pronger, Burke gave the Edmonton Oilers Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid, two first-round picks and a second-round pick.

"It would be a package just like I paid when I got Chris Pronger from Edmonton," said Burke. "I'm not putting a price on it that I haven't paid myself in the past."
Any GM that would pay anything close to what is mentioned in that quote for Kaberle should be fired on the spot.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
It all depends on who that roster player is. A top prospect + 1st is reasonable (though the prospect isn't going to be a JVR,Turris,Voracek or Filatov. aka, guys with potential to be better than Kaberle). Its going to be someone projected to be a top 4 D or top 6 forward.

Lets guess the roster player. Hes not going to be as valuable as Lupul was (projected to be 1st line sniper).

I say its a youngish 3rd liner with grit that Burke likes, but doesn't have Lupul's upside. Cody McLeod calibur player.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:39 PM
JustAHabFan

What about Higgins + one of Max Pcioretty/McDonagh + 1st?

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
Hold on so Burke thinks this D-man is worth something like 1st, Filatov, and Chimera? Yeah right, good luck trading him.
Not necessarily, completely depends on the team. Top prospect could be loosely defined as somebody like Gilbert Brule to some. Not every team had the motivation/assets to get Pronger in 2006. Similarly not every team will have the motivation/assets to get Kaberle now.

That same package could mean like Scottie Upshall, Ryan Parent, and a 1st. (Just tossing some names out there)

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
get Bob Gainey on the phone then.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
Hold on so Burke thinks this D-man is worth something like 1st, Filatov, and Chimera? Yeah right, good luck trading him.
Thanks. Good luck making the playoffs. We dont need to move him as much as teams need to aquire him to move out of the dogpile for playoff spots.

That is why Burke is in a power position and has a high bar for a trade.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:41 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
That would probably get it done, though I'm not sure what type of premium Burke would put on trading Kaberle to Montreal.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati1098VII View Post
id do it for

jvr and a first. but thats just me.
The Flyers dont need a defenseman like Kaberle. They need more of a physical dman right now. Now if the Leafs took a package involving Matt Carle I would consiter it.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Much respect to Kaberle, he's a solid D, but he's no Pronger.
agree

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:43 PM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
It all depends on who that roster player is. A top prospect + 1st is reasonable (though the prospect isn't going to be a JVR or Turris. aka, guys with potential to be better than Kaberle).
Hard to say, but it looks like that's the type of return people will be giving up. If you want to win now, you have to lose later.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I don't see why Burke couldn't get that type of return.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Pretty much this. Although I doubt Montreal trades Pacioretty. But this is only their package if they are desperate which I don't think they are anymore. Schneider seems to be working fine for them. I honestly think IF Kaberle is traded at this year's deadline, its going to be New Jersey.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Because people who say otherwise do not watch Kaberle play.

Four1 Lead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:48 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
You will be surprised. I think some teams are going to pay that price for Kaberle.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:49 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
So Pronger = Kaberle
if you think about it, this time around is the trade deadline, where values rise, pronger demanded a trade where his value dropped, so the value should be about the same.

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Captain Saku

I don't understand why would Burke want to trade Kaberle... he's a top pairing D-man paid only 4.5M$ for 2 more years!!! That's a bargain considering he has a player called Finger paying him 3.5M$ a year...

Unless it's a mass overpayment I don't think Burke should trade him.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

I'd expect him to return something similar to what Campbell brought in last deadline. 1st and young roster player.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
this is what it is eventually going to cost but I doubt this is going to happen and I would be very upset if we loose Pacioretty to the Leafs!

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Boondock

Quote:
You will be surprised. I think some teams are going to pay that price for Kaberle.
I agree completely I think some team will pay that price - the above mentioned NYR and Mont. trades I think are fair and similar to what TO will get for Kabs - if not, keep him.

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFD22 View Post
Wants a package similar to what he paid for Pronger:

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/nhlnew...opstories.atom
Pronger to Toronto

Kaberle and a 2nd to Anaheim

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:54 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I'd expect him to return something similar to what Campbell brought in last deadline. 1st and young roster player.
not a UFA.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:57 PM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
I don't understand why would Burke want to trade Kaberle... he's a top pairing D-man paid only 4.5M$ for 2 more years!!! That's a bargain considering he has a player called Finger paying him 3.5M$ a year...

Unless it's a mass overpayment I don't think Burke should trade him.
Because by the time the Leafs are ready to compete in 4-5 years, Kaberle will either be gone via free-agency or he'll be 35. At 35, he'll still be playing good hockey, but why not get 3 players 10 years younger who could be contributing then? With these types of trades, you trade to win now so that the other team can win later.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 05:01 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraser View Post
He said minimum, 1st rd. pick + top prospect + roster player.

The value that the Leafs board has been echoing all along.
People on HFboards know better than actual NHL execs and will tell you otherwise

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 05:05 PM
suprvilce

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Much respect to Kaberle, he's a solid D, but he's no Pronger.
True, Pronger >> Kaberle, i'm sure everyone knows that. But Pronger and Kaberle situations are very diffrent. Like someone wrote it on 2nd page, Edmonton had to trade Pronger (- value), Toronto doens't need (Burke saying he wants too keep him) to trade Kaberle.

6+M cap hit from Pronger's contract on 44M cap vs 4.25M cap hit on 56M cap is also diffrence (it is 56M right? something around there though). With Kaberle Leafs right now stand at advandage while Oilers were at disadvantage, knowing he requested the trade. What if noone wanted to pay the price for Pronger, but he would still have to be moved?

Oilers GM had to be happy with that offer, imagine, had there been no interest he would go on waivers .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
It all depends on who that roster player is. A top prospect + 1st is reasonable (though the prospect isn't going to be a JVR,Turris,Voracek or Filatov. aka, guys with potential to be better than Kaberle). Its going to be someone projected to be a top 4 D or top 6 forward.

Lets guess the roster player. Hes not going to be as valuable as Lupul was (projected to be 1st line sniper).

I say its a youngish 3rd liner with grit that Burke likes, but doesn't have Lupul's upside. Cody McLeod calibur player.
Actually, what asking price is reportedly "1st round pick, top prospect and young player (top 4 dm/top6)", i think you are incorrect.

While i agree no team will nor should trade their potencial franchise player (Canucks Hodgson, Yotes Turris,..), asking price is top prospect not 5th best prospect so the likes of JVR (actually just because Flyers would be willing to trade him), Voracek or Filatov (Filatov, Voracek, Brassard, ?Mayorov - they have plenty of great prospects so one of them would have to be included) would be in the mix for the trade.

And young forward is someone around 20-25 years of age with top 4/top 6 skill and not some 30 year old 3rd line plugs.

Quote:
Its a good offer to start with. They would/should probably keep Pacioretty because I hear they like him very much (didn't have power forward like that for some time), so McDonagh, 1st round pick and Higgins remain in Habs offer. Had not Higgins been struggling this year (injury part of a reason) i would probably call it fair, but with him not as good as last 3 years and with Montreal and Toronto rivals/divisional rivals, I have a feeling Burke would be asking for a bit more, maybe another draft pick, or a mid prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Girardi, Sanguinetti, and a 1st seems like a pretty good deal.
I also like this deal, its fair. But Leafs should be careful with this one, we gain 2 defencman and lose one, we already have an NHL quality defencman in AHL while two other regulars are injured, and i think we are pretty deep here, except our prospect pool has very few defencman in it. Also since we are argubly bottom 5 team, a defencman 10th on our depth chart was claimed by top 5 team in the league, which also speaks that we have some quality (NHL ready) defencman.

suprvilce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 05:11 PM
hardcore_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick96 View Post
Would you quit comparing the two. Once again their 2 different players that fill 2 different roles.
Yes and no.Pronger has pretty much the same skill as Kaberle though his skating isn't as good anymore.On top of that he has dominant physical play.He's got more facets to his game than Kaberle does especially once playoff hockey starts.

hardcore_fan is offline   Reply With Quote