HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Washington - Anaheim

Old
02-25-2009, 06:02 PM
bleuetbio

vCash: 500
Washington - Anaheim

It seems Caps looks for a TOP 4 D-MAN. The best player available on march 4th should be Chris Pronger. Cap hit can be a problem but the market will be open for Nylander (4.875M$ for 3 years -5.5M, 5.5M$ and 3M$) Maybe some teams like Florida, Colombus or Edmonton can have an interest for a cheap offer.

After this move, Caps can do this trade

To Wash: Pronger
To Anaheim: John Carlson + 1st pick

Deal or No deal?

bleuetbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 06:04 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuetbio View Post
It seems Caps looks for a TOP 4 D-MAN. The best player available on march 4th should be Chris Pronger. Cap hit can be a problem but the market will be open for Nylander (4.875M$ for 3 years -5.5M, 5.5M$ and 3M$) Maybe some teams like Florida, Colombus or Edmonton can have an interest for a cheap offer.

Deal or No deal?
They aren't trading Carlson.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 06:04 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

I would love for the caps to get pronger. help my pool huge. i have pronger and theodore. Make it happen!

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 06:06 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

It sounds like GMGM isn't moving Carlson. I'd love Pronger, but I'm guessing he's out of our price range (trade asset wise), at least for this year.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Boondock

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
It sounds like GMGM isn't moving Carlson. I'd love Pronger, but I'm guessing he's out of our price range (trade asset wise), at least for this year.
I agree, Carlson is a stud prospect, but I doubt that alone gets Pronger so it's probably a no go from both teams

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 06:26 PM
BenJesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
They aren't trading Carlson.
what would be the point of trading away your future for a great player. They're doin fine why

BenJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Foy

GMGM made a list of 4 players last night that are untouchable. Carlson, Holtby, Della-Rovere and Gustafson. He specifically used the word "untouchable."

So, yeah, that's going to limit options.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
GMGM made a list of 4 players last night that are untouchable. Carlson, Holtby, Della-Rovere and Gustafson. He specifically used the word "untouchable."

So, yeah, that's going to limit options.
What about Alzner? Did he say anything about him? Anaheim might consider it in a package involving Alzner.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 06:56 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
What about Alzner? Did he say anything about him? Anaheim might consider it in a package involving Alzner.
Those are all non-pro prospects, so Alzner wouldn't be covered even if he is untouchable (and he likely is). The fact that Varlamov isn't listed, either, suggests he was only referring to guys not already in Hershey/Washington.

Old
02-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBen31 View Post
what would be the point of trading away your future for a great player. They're doin fine why
Winning a Cup would be a pretty good reason. Building primarily on youth is incredibly difficult because at some point those entry level contracts are going to expire, and big dollars are going to be needed to keep those players.

Old
02-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Foy

Quote:
He's not going to be available. I think the Caps value Carlson more than Pronger and the cap nightmare they'd be in next year. Pronger is a great player, but the Caps right now don't want to move the pieces that would be required to pick up a player of his caliber.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Those are all non-pro prospects, so Alzner wouldn't be covered even if he is untouchable (and he likely is). The fact that Varlamov isn't listed, either, suggests he was only referring to guys not already in Hershey/Washington.
Your GM might be delusional then. That many untouchable players? To get quality you need to give quality. In theory, if he wanted Pronger, he would definitely have to consider parting with one of those untouchables. I'm not saying this in some attempt to try to convince you to say "Yeah, okay, you're right." but you're talking about an elite two-way defenseman who could put a team over the top. If Murray was talking to your GM, you can bet some of those names would pop up, and they could be deal-breakers... yes, for both sides.

Old
02-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

Quote:
Winning a Cup would be a pretty good reason. Building primarily on youth is incredibly difficult because at some point those entry level contracts are going to expire, and big dollars are going to be needed to keep those players.
I don't get the sense that the front office/ownership believes that now is the time to pull out all of the stops in order to load up for a Cup run. Dealing a prospect here and there for a targeted upgrade, sure, but I doubt McPhee is in the market for Pronger. He's more of a value shopper.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 07:09 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Your GM might be delusional then. That many untouchable players? To get quality you need to give quality. In theory, if he wanted Pronger, he would definitely have to consider parting with one of those untouchables. I'm not saying this in some attempt to try to convince you to say "Yeah, okay, you're right." but you're talking about an elite two-way defenseman who could put a team over the top. If Murray was talking to your GM, you can bet some of those names would pop up, and they could be deal-breakers... yes, for both sides.
GMGM doesn't make big trades. There are too many chemistry issues, and the prospects are too valuable as cheap fill-ins on the roster (since we've already got basically all the high-priced guys we can afford).

As for the "untouchable" aspect, never take anything he says at face value although there's got to be a kernel of truth there. I take it to mean these are guys he's not going to offer up under any circumstances, and if they're asked about he'd do everything he could to swing them in a different direction. I think he'd pull the trigger on the right deal, though, this just means that "right" deal is that much harder to find.

Old
02-25-2009, 07:21 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

If Washington wants a "Top 4" d-man, then Pronger is probably a lot too rich for their blood. If the offer was Carlson and a first, I'd be all over that if i'm Washington, but I'm sure they could get a guy that better fits their budget (they're pretty tight to the cap as it is IIRC), and would need a nylander type salary dump to make it even close.

So as has already been mentioned, probably a smaller trade (and easier cap wise) for Washington would be what would happen.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I don't get the sense that the front office/ownership believes that now is the time to pull out all of the stops in order to load up for a Cup run. Dealing a prospect here and there for a targeted upgrade, sure, but I doubt McPhee is in the market for Pronger. He's more of a value shopper.
You might be right(you and brs03), and you would almost certainly have a better read on your GM's tendencies than I do. I enjoy watching them play, but I'm not a Caps fan. Not really, at any rate.

Call it a hypothetical scenario, since that's what this is anyway. If your GM was looking into Pronger, and wanted to make a push this season (and perhaps next, considering Pronger still has a year left on his contract) I think it would be naive to think that so many prospects would be considered untouchable. If a deal were made between the two clubs, I think it would involve one of those prospects. In fact, I don't really see how it could be any other way. Murray just isn't going to give up that caliber of player without getting something juicy in return.

Old
02-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuetbio View Post

Deal or No deal?
Nylander has a NMC.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 07:28 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Nylander has a NMC.
He's been willing to waive it if you believe any number of rumors for the last several months.

He's playing like he's already been moved.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 07:29 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
You might be right(you and brs03), and you would almost certainly have a better read on your GM's tendencies than I do. I enjoy watching them play, but I'm not a Caps fan. Not really, at any rate.

Call it a hypothetical scenario, since that's what this is anyway. If your GM was looking into Pronger, and wanted to make a push this season (and perhaps next, considering Pronger still has a year left on his contract) I think it would be naive to think that so many prospects would be considered untouchable. If a deal were made between the two clubs, I think it would involve one of those prospects. In fact, I don't really see how it could be any other way. Murray just isn't going to give up that caliber of player without getting something juicy in return.
Oh I agree. If anything I think the fact that he's used the term "untouchable" suggests he isn't going after anyone of that caliber, and really not much more. He's really tough to read though, so we really won't know what will happen until March 4.

Old
02-25-2009, 07:33 PM
ColincampbellOscopy

I think after a Nylander move a better offer for both sides would probably be:

Osala
Morrison
1st in '09
1st in '10 or Josh Godfrey and a 2nd in 09.

ColincampbellOscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Oh I agree. If anything I think the fact that he's used the term "untouchable" suggests he isn't going after anyone of that caliber, and really not much more. He's really tough to read though, so we really won't know what will happen until March 4.
Excellent point. It shows faith in the players too. It doesn't help their chances in the playoffs this season, but sometimes your team just isn't ready for that kind of move and it could hurt your team in the long run to do it prematurely. You also never know... teams have been known to step it up and turn into world-beaters before. Sometimes things just click in all the right ways at the right time.

The Caps are no pushovers, and they clearly aren't favorites, but once you get into the playoffs there is a lot that can happen.

Old
02-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
He's been willing to waive it if you believe any number of rumors for the last several months.

He's playing like he's already been moved.
For every "he's agreed to waive it" rumor, there's a "the Capitals have no intention of moving him" rumor to match it. If we're going to work on, "... and if he agrees to waive it, ...." speculation, we can come up with all kind of putlandish ideas about what teams can d- .....

... oops, never mind. I realized what forum this is.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 07:51 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

In the end a rumor is just a rumor. A NMC doesn't mean he won't be moved, but it certainly makes it more difficult.

Old
02-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

Teams say a lot of things but I absolutely believe the Caps would move Nylander if there was interest and he was willing to move. I can't imagine that Nylander is a very happy hockey player these days. The team is doing fairly well but he personally can't feel overly good about his contribution to the team this season so far and the way in which he has been utilized. Even if Fedorov were to not come back next season, I don't think his role would be any larger.

Maybe he doesn't care about any of that and family concerns trump everything else but that would mean he's more of a guy just collecting a paycheck than a hockey player.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 08:01 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Name the last team to win the Cup after acquiring a big name rental player at the deadline?

Bourque is the only one who jumps to my mind, and the Avs won the Cup with him the year AFTER they got him at the deadline.

Mortaging the team's future to take a stab at the Cup this year is a mistake. Ask Pittsburgh!

Besides: I'd like to see how far this team can go. I think, as is, they are the team comming out of the East.

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote