HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #63 - 02.26.09 | Florida Panthers @ NY Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2009, 10:38 PM
  #626
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
Several people said the same thing about Sather and Renney's relationship. The Dolans may love Sather but they also love money and a winning Rangers team with happy fans brings that.


OK...so:

a) Who replaces Sather?
b) What would that GM do with the salaries he inherits?
c) Will that GM agree to work with a guy like Tortarella behind the bench?
d) Will the new GM trade away most of our youth because he didn't personally acquire them?

Firing a GM is very rare in hockey from a team who:

a) still brings in a profit
b) is only having one mildly poor season in the last four years
c) has a GM and President who is arguably one of the most influential and respected men in hockey (not liked, but respected) with a hall of fame resume
d) has an owner who listens to everything the GM says


The point is that Sather getting fired won;t fix anything. Sather clearly knows he has to retool this roster.

You guys should know Sather by now. He's a gambler..always has and always will be...At some point he will have to step down, but I will guarantee you he will fix this mess to at least stabilize the situation. Hiring Torts is the first step. Let's see what he does over the next few months before we lynch him.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:39 PM
  #627
Banks3rdLineCenter
 
Banks3rdLineCenter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 2,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Has Arrived View Post
What did Torts say during his post-game press conference?
We played well. We controlled large portions of the game. There was a 5 minute stretch that really hurt us. We just can't finish.

Basically everything Renney said after every game minus the "We just can't finish" part. I guess Tom just figured that was a given at this point and didn't really need to be stated whereas Torts is still amazed at these players missing open nets.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:41 PM
  #628
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,789
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
This just in, a new coach with a completely different style can't make the the team win 8-0 their first 2 games.
WELL THAT'S WHAT I WAS TOLD!!!!

LOUD NOISES

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:42 PM
  #629
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,789
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
Basically everything Renney said after every game minus the "We just can't finish" part.
Renney would have tried to convince reporters we scored 4 goals.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:42 PM
  #630
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
OK...so:

a) Who replaces Sather?
b) What would that GM do with the salaries he inherits?
c) Will that GM agree to work with a guy like Tortarella behind the bench?
d) Will the new GM trade away most of our youth because he didn't personally acquire them?

Firing a GM is very rare in hockey from a team who:

a) still brings in a profit
b) is only having one mildly poor season in the last four years
c) has a GM and President who is arguably one of the most influential and respected men in hockey (not liked, but respected) with a hall of fame resume
d) has an owner who listens to everything the GM says


The point is that Sather getting fired won;t fix anything. Sather clearly knows he has to retool this roster.

You guys should know Sather by now. He's a gambler..always has and always will be...At some point he will have to step down, but I will guarantee you he will fix this mess to at least stabilize the situation. Hiring Torts is the first step. Let's see what he does over the next few months before we lynch him.
No GM in this league has lasted as long and through as many flubs as Sather has. And his reputation is nothing but that. He hasn't done anything worthy of that reputation in twenty years.

He's done a horrible job running this team, why would I be confident that he is going to fix this mess? He's the one that created the mess in the first place. Sather's version of stabilization was signing Gomez and Drury, it's getting just good enough to not be completely awful. In other words, mediocre.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:45 PM
  #631
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,984
vCash: 500
Can't wait for a book to come out about this season detailing how the entire team gambled on their games and Gomez secretly swore an allegiance to the Devils swearing he will undermine the rangers for the rest of his life.

How much longer until Drury or Gomez start getting booed?

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:48 PM
  #632
NYR957
Hagelin's pumped.
 
NYR957's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Can't wait for a book to come out about this season detailing how the entire team gambled on their games and Gomez secretly swore an allegiance to the Devils swearing he will undermine the rangers for the rest of his life.

How much longer until Drury or Gomez start getting booed?
Theyre not European and theyre not defensemen. So never.

NYR957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:48 PM
  #633
Banks3rdLineCenter
 
Banks3rdLineCenter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 2,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Can't wait for a book to come out about this season detailing how the entire team gambled on their games and Gomez secretly swore an allegiance to the Devils swearing he will undermine the rangers for the rest of his life.

How much longer until Drury or Gomez start getting booed?
Drury will never get booed. The amount of manlove for Drury is ridiculous.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear the boo birds go after Gomez soon though.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:48 PM
  #634
Rangerfans
Registered User
 
Rangerfans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,107
vCash: 500
Same team. Different coach.

This team has - under Renney - played this type of run-and-gun game on rare occasions and the EXACT same results had occured.

This team couldn't hit water if it fell out of a boat. It's embarrassing.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:49 PM
  #635
Unk
 
Unk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In A Better Place
Country: Liechtenstein
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
To be fair to Slats, I'm not too sure if the situation the team had going forward from 2007 was so sunshine filled as we like to feel. Looking back I can't help but wonder barring any exception shrewdness on the GM's part that the team would suffer some sort of decline. Of course, that doesn't make his moves since the smartest, but as Scipio Africanus says Slats seems to be a gambler and when those moves don't pay one can look stupid. But I guess this isn't the thread to argue about the moves that have been made in a last few years on his Slats' part.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:54 PM
  #636
ret513
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
How much longer until Drury or Gomez start getting booed?
.....Or get arrested for stealing!!

ret513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:55 PM
  #637
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,932
vCash: 500
At the beginning we were finding ways to win--now we're finding ways to lose. If it's not one thing it's another. What's been consistent is an inability to finish.

Something to ***** about--the call by McCreary 17 seconds in was crap. It looked to me like it was close and should have been replayed and my hunch is it would have counted but that autocratic ******* decided all on his own to kill it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:56 PM
  #638
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
We played well. We controlled large portions of the game. There was a 5 minute stretch that really hurt us. We just can't finish.

Basically everything Renney said after every game minus the "We just can't finish" part. I guess Tom just figured that was a given at this point and didn't really need to be stated whereas Torts is still amazed at these players missing open nets.
Torts didnt use the word "dormant" did he? I hate that

__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:00 PM
  #639
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
At the beginning we were finding ways to win--now we're finding ways to lose. If it's not one thing it's another. What's been consistent is an inability to finish.

Something to ***** about--the call by McCreary 17 seconds in was crap. It looked to me like it was close and should have been replayed and my hunch is it would have counted but that autocratic ******* decided all on his own to kill it.

Tortorella said Toronto said it was no goal...I'm amazed they came to a decision that quickly, when it looked like a goal...poor Dubi.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:01 PM
  #640
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway
 
peanutbuttacallytime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Israel
Posts: 1,346
vCash: 500
im just frustrated with this team...i really cant say much more...

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:01 PM
  #641
Block More Shots
Registered User
 
Block More Shots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Watch on saturday...we'll put up 4 goals and lose like 5-4 to Colorado. We'll continue to put pressure but our defense will lose its composure.

This team just baffles me

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:04 PM
  #642
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway
 
peanutbuttacallytime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Israel
Posts: 1,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Tortorella said Toronto said it was no goal...I'm amazed they came to a decision that quickly, when it looked like a goal...poor Dubi.
I was at the game and didnt get a great look at all...i know many will disagree, but if we score that goal i really think this game is completely different...right after it there was this energy in the building and confidence that tonight was going to be good..and then it was sucked right out..

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:11 PM
  #643
pavvento
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
OK...so:

a) Who replaces Sather?
b) What would that GM do with the salaries he inherits?
c) Will that GM agree to work with a guy like Tortarella behind the bench?
d) Will the new GM trade away most of our youth because he didn't personally acquire them?

Firing a GM is very rare in hockey from a team who:

a) still brings in a profit
b) is only having one mildly poor season in the last four years
c) has a GM and President who is arguably one of the most influential and respected men in hockey (not liked, but respected) with a hall of fame resume
d) has an owner who listens to everything the GM says


The point is that Sather getting fired won;t fix anything. Sather clearly knows he has to retool this roster.

You guys should know Sather by now. He's a gambler..always has and always will be...At some point he will have to step down, but I will guarantee you he will fix this mess to at least stabilize the situation. Hiring Torts is the first step. Let's see what he does over the next few months before we lynch him.
What has Sather done at all this year to lead you to believe he clearly knows he has to re-tool this roster? This is a roster that was built almost entirely in the past two years, do you honestly think that he's going to openly admit that for two years he's done nothing but make mistakes and now needs to fix them?

This team needs to either buy out some big contracts, or hope and pray there is a desperate team that will help take a chance on an overpaid player.

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:25 PM
  #644
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway
 
peanutbuttacallytime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Israel
Posts: 1,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
What has Sather done at all this year to lead you to believe he clearly knows he has to re-tool this roster? This is a roster that was built almost entirely in the past two years, do you honestly think that he's going to openly admit that for two years he's done nothing but make mistakes and now needs to fix them?

This team needs to either buy out some big contracts, or hope and pray there is a desperate team that will help take a chance on an overpaid player.
this.

..sather has done NOTHING to this team since hes been here to prove that he CLEARLY can retool this roster...i get it, dolans not getting rid of him, and its one thing to accept that...but too say accept it, sather is the right guy for the job..give me a break

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:27 PM
  #645
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
What has Sather done at all this year to lead you to believe he clearly knows he has to re-tool this roster? This is a roster that was built almost entirely in the past two years, do you honestly think that he's going to openly admit that for two years he's done nothing but make mistakes and now needs to fix them?

This team needs to either buy out some big contracts, or hope and pray there is a desperate team that will help take a chance on an overpaid player.


I meant he knows as of right now. He knows he made mistakes but he'll never admit it publicly. The best he can do right now is move contracts, but to do that he has to part with either draft picks or prospects.

But what i was trying to say is that he sees the product on the ice and knows currently they are obviously not good enough for this league or this city.

Lets flashback to 2004. This team was going nowhere and had all those bad contracts plus a terrible farm system. Thanks to the lockout ans some shrewd moves he fixed the franchise.

I think he can do it again.

The problem with Sather is that he has a reputation of building a winner, then destroying it, then rebuilding it, then destroying it.

It took him four or five years to rebuild this team, but he is a cnt-hair away from putting this team right back in the big toilet. I think he realizes this and will adjust accordingly

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:32 PM
  #646
Stepan Razor
Registered User
 
Stepan Razor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 517
vCash: 500
This season is a lost *** cause.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:35 PM
  #647
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Lets flashback to 2004. This team was going nowhere and had all those bad contracts plus a terrible farm system. Thanks to the lockout ans some shrewd moves he fixed the franchise.

I think he can do it again.

The problem with Sather is that he has a reputation of building a winner, then destroying it, then rebuilding it, then destroying it.

It took him four or five years to rebuild this team, but he is a cnt-hair away from putting this team right back in the big toilet. I think he realizes this and will adjust accordingly
Oh God. Are you saying a first-round sweep and two second round exits were the "winner" he built? I gotta say, if that's the best he can do before destroying the team then rebuilding it, it ain't saying much at all.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:36 PM
  #648
AK2794
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Can't wait for a book to come out about this season detailing how the entire team gambled on their games and Gomez secretly swore an allegiance to the Devils swearing he will undermine the rangers for the rest of his life.

How much longer until Drury or Gomez start getting booed?
Gomez has been getting a fair amount of boos recently at the garden. None for Drury....yet.

AK2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:43 PM
  #649
Gardner McKay
Moderator
#4parsley
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 11,292
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
Drury will never get booed. The amount of manlove for Drury is ridiculous.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear the boo birds go after Gomez soon though.
Im so ****ing sick of Drury and his ****ing waste of space on this roster. He single handedly wasted 25 seconds of the 5-3 with a retarted dump and chase when HE WAS THE ONLY ****ING ONE SKATING the rest of the team hadnt crossed the ****ing redline so WHY DUMP IT CAPTAIN MORON.

And then we have assistant captain GOMER ****IN PYLE whos about as useful to this team as the last **** I took.

Ive never been more frustrated with two players before. Thing is, I know Gomez can play better, much better, but thats no ****ing excuse for how pathetic it is right now.

At least Way deadend is improving his play and good for him. Im happy to see him finally getting back to the player he used to be at WAS at one point in his career.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:43 PM
  #650
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,286
vCash: 500
I missed the last 10 minutes...did we run out of steam again? Then again we have played 2 games in 2 nights under a go go go system so I would expect we did?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.