HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Gainey do nothing if Habs win their next 2 games?

Old
02-26-2009, 10:30 AM
usernam

vCash: 500
Gainey will do what's best for the team. If not moving at all is the best option for the team, then he won't move. And I'd have no complains.

usernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:30 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Streit always played nervously on defense here, wether it was because Carbo never put any confidence in him and he was one mistake from being back up front or what. He'll never be great defensively, but with his offense, as long as he is average he'll be fine.
Wasn't he always on the 3rd pair with either Bouillon or Brisebois? "If I make a mistake, who's there to fix it?" That can't help your confidence.

David_99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Wasn't he always on the 3rd pair with either Bouillon or Brisebois? "If I make a mistake, who's there to fix it?" That can't help your confidence.
He played mostly with Hamrlik from what I recall. Bouillon would be a good partner for him on the 3nd pair, he plays a very safe game.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TB3 View Post
At Philly and home to San Jose who both lately have not been playing their best hockey? Will 2 more wins going into the trade deadline or even just 2 more good games give Gainey the excuse to say that nothing is wrong with this team and do his usual zilch to help bolster it as he always does NOT at trade deadlines?
Damn, you really have to be thick to think Gainey is trying to find "excuses".

As if Gainey doesn't want his team to perform. Also, hockey management is far more complex and challenging than you can imagine (if you can).

What you seem to not understand is that Gainey won't overpay, won't sell the farm, just to calm down the fancies of some dumb armchair GMs who don't know the first thing about management.

Also, his "usual zilch", what is it to you? Getting Tanguay, Lang and Schneider???

And MoMo316 said it best "Gainey will do what's best for the team. If not moving at all is the best option for the team, then he won't move. And I'd have no complains."

Quote:
ACTIVE?

Say what? As sellers when for last 2 years Gainey did nothing to help a team that eventually missed the playoffs on the last night and last year when Gainey did nothing to bolster one of the top teams in the league to try to win the Cup while also eating his free agents to be like Ryder, Streit and Souray losing the 3 of them and getting nothing for them in return in June. Ryder he didn't even bother to use in the series vs. Philly. Last night in Pitts/Isles game Pittsburgh announcer commenting on how well Streit was playing last year said, "Canadiens management didn't recognize his talents and didn't even know he was better as a defenseman."
They just need to look at the Habs lineup last year and this year to realize that Streit was playing on the right side last season, whereas he's playing on his natural side this year with the Isles. Streit insisted on playing defense, but the Habs knew he wasn't good on the right side. So the logical deduction was, if we wanna keep Streit, we would have to let go of either Hamrlik or Bouillon, but in either case, it would make the entire left side of the defense extremely soft, with Markov and Streit as the two main Ds on that side. Replace Markov by Streit? Sorry, but Streit is the Isles' Markov, but we have the better player of the two. Those commentators are dumb because they do not understand how weak Streit was on the right side. Hamrlik had to constantly save his ass. The Habs defense didn't stabilize until OB came around and replaced Streit on the right side and Streit was used mainly as a forward, except on the powerplays.

But I wouldn't expect YOU to understand something like this. It takes a lot of critical thinking to understand the logic behind a move.

As for Ryder, his trade value was Zilch. Souray, Gainey thought he would help us MAKE the playoffs. You don't have a crystal ball that tells you the future and neither does he.

But you are certainly forgetting about getting value for Huet and for Rivet. Oops, we shouldn't mention them, its not part of the anti-Gainey rhetoric.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-26-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:17 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
At Philly and home to San Jose who both lately have not been playing their best hockey? Will 2 more wins going into the trade deadline or even just 2 more good games give Gainey the excuse to say that nothing is wrong with this team and do his usual zilch to help bolster it as he always does NOT at trade deadlines?
Two wins doesn't correct this team.

There is still a need for a top six forward, preferably a centre. I know Tanguay is coming back, but a 100% is something he won't be after a set back this week.

Another Dman wouldn't hurt either.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Pedro McGuire*

I would expect one or two minor deals from BG but nothing major. Gainey has never done anything major and he never will its just not his style. Baby steps.

Alot of you will be disapointed.

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:32 AM
lxzred

Haven't we already mode more moves than 75% of the teams?
I guess they only count the day of the deadline... 2 weeks earlier isn't a deadline move?

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:50 AM
CanadienErrant*

He could try to get a real gritty defensively minded number 4 center with face-off skills.

Bégin is on the line. There is something "personal" going on between him and Carbo, because his play on the ice doesn't deserve such punishment.

Get us Laperrière, Bob !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Habs 1909

I don't see Gainey pull off any major deal.

He'll say at the press conference that we have people coming back from injuries (Tanguay) who will help us out during the stretch.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Habs 1909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bainey View Post
I would expect one or two minor deals from BG but nothing major. Gainey has never done anything major and he never will its just not his style. Baby steps.

Alot of you will be disapointed.
Trading your starting goaltender (Cristobal) was a major deal..

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
He could try to get a real gritty defensively minded number 4 center with face-off skills.

Bégin is on the line. There is something "personal" going on between him and Carbo, because his play on the ice doesn't deserve such punishment.

Get us Laperrière, Bob !
Isn't that the point of having Lapierre and Chipchura?

If we get a center he has to be a fair bit better than Koivu and Plekanec(8-100 point calibre) or it's not worth it.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
There sure has been a whole lot of trades the last few years all in the salary cap era by the OTHER teams in the league.
I'm sure you compared pre and post-lockout trade deadlines before posting that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_trade_deadline

I guess you didn't. How surprising.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 12:23 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Depends on the price of Jokinen at this point.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 12:26 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

I don't think Bob can do anything even if he wanted to. Schneider was his only available move.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:07 PM
3TB3*

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2687...s=secStory_nhl

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:29 PM
justin11

Anybody, any idea how much cap room available?

justin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Iwishihadacup

I just hope he don't make the error of keeping Kovalev here

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:38 PM
3TB3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
I just hope he don't make the error of keeping Kovalev here
i still think that lecavalier deal is in the works

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I wonder if a three way could be done to send Pronger to Tampa....

Old
02-26-2009, 01:52 PM
x-bob

The only move I would like to see would be moving Laraque just for extra cap space.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:52 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Then i guess that would pretty much do it then for the Tampa Bay organization then, my parents spend their winter in the TB area and many hockey fans have stated that if Lawton has lied to them they will not renew their seasons tickets next year, they have had it with their lies !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
Then i guess that would pretty much do it then for the Tampa Bay organization then, my parents spend their winter in the TB area and many hockey fans have stated that if Lawton has lied to them they will not renew their seasons tickets next year, they have had it with their lies !
Well not exactly. We are not privy to their books, but if they are having financial problems, anything is possible. It depends on what the plans are. If they tank the last 20 games, they can draft a Tavares, they would be only 2-3 years away from regaining the Tampa crowd, while keeping 10 million in expense off the books. It all depends how their calculations add up to. Is losing many season ticket holder bigger than the difference of 10 million they will save by trading Lecavalier for really cheap players, prospects and picks, or is it not viable. And right now, neither you, nor I, nor the ever-so sensationalistic press can answer that. So to say that Tampa would be done for, if they indeed trade Lecavalier, is a bit off. Also, with all the financial problems they've had, maybe the league would think of moving the team, and then havign a younger less costly guy like Tavares would make it a better sell. ANythign is possible for them at this point.

Old
02-26-2009, 03:02 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I wonder if a three way could be done to send Pronger to Tampa....
Huh? Trade Lecavalier to get Pronger? Doesn't make sense, but it's expected from you. Lecavalier is younger, a fan fav, and locked up.

BTW, how many people on these boards are you currently throwing insults at? It says more about you then it does about them. Don't take it too seriously. Take a break from the boards like you did when the team was struggling on the west coast...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:13 PM
zurg999

Quote:
I'd say you're right, he's sitting back, waiting for the first available excuse to not do anything.

I'd also say you need to give your head a shake because somethings definitely not clicking.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Oh god...

There's no team that has everything right to begin with. You can always have better players, more depth, etc. So, on the short term (i.e. before the trade deadline), the question becomes if this team need a short term boost in order to make the playoff this year. And IMHO, the answer is no. The only real "hole" we had was on D, and it has been fixed. Now we could always add another center giving that Lang is now injured, but I don't see Gainey overpaying for one - which would be very easy considering how it happens routinely on the trade deadline, every year. If he gets one, he will be someone similar to Schneider - a vet he already knows, who will be able to fullfil a role on the short term

Now, on the long term, things are completely different. Gainey must definitively think about getting a good, young offensive center because the franchise clearly lack one in the system: Koivu is getting old, Plekanec has question marks, and Maxwell is still too young. But such long term decisions aren't made following a few victories (or defeats), and they are certainly not made in context were their trading price are inflated - such as just prior to the trade deadline.

So, to answer your question - if you expect Gainey to make a big splash at the trade deadline, you'll probably be disapointed again this year. It's not his style. Gainey simply doesn't like big trades at the deadline, and althought this is the centennial, I don't see him overpaying just because a few easily excited fans demand it. And if he does a big move, it won't be because of a stupid slumb in the middle of Frebruary, but because the deal will make sense for the team on the long term.
Completely disagree with the part in bold. The fact that you state that we need a young offensive center means that we do have a huge hole. If we go into the playoffs with Plekanec and Koivu as our top two centers, we're not going anywhere. Teams up their level of effort in the playoffs, and if we go in with two small centers, we'll be kept on the perimeter just like last year with Philly. I agree with that Gainey won't mortgage our future to get that center in at the deadline because we'll probably have better options at the draft, but we're screwed this season if our top two lines are centered by Plekanec and Koivu for the remainder of the season.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote