HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Will Gainey do nothing if Habs win their next 2 games?

Old
02-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Markovskaya

vCash: 500
You can forget about a trade for Vinny guys.

It's sad but it's true.

They want Markov, we wont trade him. End of the discussion !

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Huh? Trade Lecavalier to get Pronger? Doesn't make sense, but it's expected from you. Lecavalier is younger, a fan fav, and locked up.

First off, the rumor was they wanted Markov in the Lecavalier deal, so get your head out of you ass, and wake up. It's only a suggestion, not a proposal. Also, your little bitsy arguments totally ignore the fact that they have financial difficulties and that this move would give them what they wanted while still helping them to cut on expenses and at the same time not pissing the fans off too much because they would offer them an elite defenseman. Stop having tunnel vision, have some critical thinking.

Quote:
BTW, how many people on these boards are you currently throwing insults at? It says more about you then it does about them. Don't take it too seriously. Take a break from the boards like you did when the team was struggling on the west coast...
How many? About 2. The same two who can't make logical deductions, the same two who most don't agree with. What break? I did come around here. Same days as I always do. The one who takes breaks is you, long breaks when the Habs are playing well, and then as soon as they falter, we see you coming around doing your irrational Gainey bashing. That says a lot about you actually.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:33 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
First off, the rumor was they wanted Markov in the Lecavalier deal, so get your head out of you ass, and wake up. It's only a suggestion, not a proposal. Also, your little bitsy arguments totally ignore the fact that they have financial difficulties and that this move would give them what they wanted while still helping them to cut on expenses and at the same time not pissing the fans off too much because they would offer them an elite defenseman. Stop having tunnel vision, have some critical thinking.

How many? About 2. The same two who can't make logical deductions, the same two who most don't agree with. What break? I did come around here. Same days as I always do. The one who takes breaks is you, long breaks when the Habs are playing well, and then as soon as they falter, we see you coming around doing your irrational Gainey bashing. That says a lot about you actually.
Pronger is more than 4 years older than Markov and 6 years older than Vinny. I guess that's another great suggestion.

You didn't post for 5 days, right? That seems like a break for someone with 7000 posts...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Pronger is more than 4 years older than Markov and 6 years older than Vinny. I guess that's another great suggestion.
It all depends on who is paying. Are you the one who will be paying Markov for years on out? Or Vinny for that matter? Its called short term patching.

Quote:
You didn't post for 5 days, right? That seems like a break for someone with 7000 posts...
I always spend almost five days without posting, that's almost every week, because I rarely post on the week-ends. I come in to this job two times per week, two days in a row, I post here, and then I go away for 5 days, this has been my MO for over two months now, ever since I've been juggling two jobs and the second one doesn't involve computers so I can't take the liberty to do the same as I am doing here.

But yeah, keep digging. Just ask H, he'll tell you I usually come around Tuesdays and Wednesdays, or Wednesdays and Thursdays... no matter if the Habs win or lose. Altho I tend to not come as much the day after a loss, and I know many posters who do the same. We do that to avoid the annoying whinny stupid little snots who come around here only to ***** the Habs when they lose. Don't be offended now, I wasn't talking about you, no really, I wasn't, I swear, now don't go crying...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 04:40 PM
sweat

Pretty sure Bob will do something... Maybe trade Begin to Dallas.

sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Completely disagree with the part in bold. The fact that you state that we need a young offensive center means that we do have a huge hole. If we go into the playoffs with Plekanec and Koivu as our top two centers, we're not going anywhere. Teams up their level of effort in the playoffs, and if we go in with two small centers, we'll be kept on the perimeter just like last year with Philly. I agree with that Gainey won't mortgage our future to get that center in at the deadline because we'll probably have better options at the draft, but we're screwed this season if our top two lines are centered by Plekanec and Koivu for the remainder of the season.
Read the rest of the paragraph in my post, following the sentence you bolded.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 07:38 PM
RushDP

If you are using this story to support your usual ranting and ravings you fell short. While we agree that Streit had a shot from the point it is UNIVERSALLY understood by fans that know what he offered as a defense man that we could not fit him or the salary he could command into our team.

After O'Byrne didn't work out earlier this season a D-man became our biggest need. Then Lang went down and a center man became our biggest need. Oddly enough this story is actually making you look like a bigger fool than most here thought you were.

It clearly indicates that the Schneider pickup was a great move by BG...thereby negating every single mindless rant you ever went on about BG. You should stop posting this garbage before you hurt yourself.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I'm very concerned that Gainey won't do much at the deadline if we have any sort of success in the next two games. Not that he won't try, I'm sure he will, but there won't be that sense of urgency that makes them pull the trigger.

I'm especially very, very concerned about the whole Kovalev situation, especially if he plays well in the next two games. If you believe one bit in his sob story that he's a new man, he's seen the light and learned his lesson, be ready to defend his sorry ass if you're a lover, of crucify him more starting March 5th if he's not traded.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:03 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I'm very concerned that Gainey won't do much at the deadline if we have any sort of success in the next two games. Not that he won't try, I'm sure he will, but there won't be that sense of urgency that makes them pull the trigger.

I'm especially very, very concerned about the whole Kovalev situation, especially if he plays well in the next two games. If you believe one bit in his sob story that he's a new man, he's seen the light and learned his lesson, be ready to defend his sorry ass if you're a lover, of crucify him more starting March 5th if he's not traded.
Actually, in today's Carbo news clips while talking about Laraque he let slip that " Laraque wants more minutes and Alex wants 25 minutes" so it's clear that when Kovy talked with BG he asked for more ice time and it was acted upon. I think Kovy will perform but only as much as the rest of the team does. They all need to get sharp and stop waiting for some miraculous trade that may or may not come. It was wrong to single out one player in Kovalev and it is wrong to pin it all on him if it goes wrong. The whole team has not performed to their potential.

Let's see if BG can right this ship. I like every move he's made since he's acquired Schneider. He got SKost out of here knowing the **** was going to hit the fan. He sat Kovy and showed that nobody is safe and at the same time that he was not the problem as they didn't win the games he missed. He defused the entire criminal Lapresse issue in a single press conference. That was pure skill. He quelled and had Laraque backtrack on his comments. He accomodated Begin and will attempt to do so for Dandenault. That shows class and the return is not important. We had way too many 4th liners and the kids we brought up can't go back down once we are healthy. Not with their effort. We will be a better team by the trade deadline IMO.

Old
02-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Success or lack thereof in the next 2 games will have very little impact in what Gainey does. It makes no sense in the team's current situation to be trading top prospects for rentals. I can see him trying to get Vinnie or Jokinen, but the price has to make sense. Sopme deals are better left unmade(see potential Hossa trade last year).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:57 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
It all depends on who is paying. Are you the one who will be paying Markov for years on out? Or Vinny for that matter? Its called short term patching.

I always spend almost five days without posting, that's almost every week, because I rarely post on the week-ends. I come in to this job two times per week, two days in a row, I post here, and then I go away for 5 days, this has been my MO for over two months now, ever since I've been juggling two jobs and the second one doesn't involve computers so I can't take the liberty to do the same as I am doing here.

But yeah, keep digging. Just ask H, he'll tell you I usually come around Tuesdays and Wednesdays, or Wednesdays and Thursdays... no matter if the Habs win or lose. Altho I tend to not come as much the day after a loss, and I know many posters who do the same. We do that to avoid the annoying whinny stupid little snots who come around here only to ***** the Habs when they lose. Don't be offended now, I wasn't talking about you, no really, I wasn't, I swear, now don't go crying...
So you admit to avoiding the board when the Habs lose? You just proved my point.

I'll be sure to ask around about you... whatever. Like I care.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TB3 View Post
At Philly and home to San Jose who both lately have not been playing their best hockey? Will 2 more wins going into the trade deadline or even just 2 more good games give Gainey the excuse to say that nothing is wrong with this team and do his usual zilch to help bolster it as he always does NOT at trade deadlines?
The best answer to your loaded rhetorical question is to say that Gainey obviously isn't satisfied with the way the Habs have been going. He isn't nearly as stupid as you seem to think, so please stop whining. He's already traded for Mathieu Schneider and I'm reasonably sure he hasn't made up his mind to stop there.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Yea maybe we'll get lucky and Gainey will do some big trade, give up a lot of young assets and then we get knocked out in the first round. But hey, at least we can say Gainey did something at the deadline right?

From reading your posts here, you seem to be really intelligent and a great fan of this team. Way to go!
You're kidding, aren't you? Where's the emoticon?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:

I'm also very concerned by the Kovalev issue. Can we go forward with a completely impotent 5 on 5 player as our go-to guy? Why is Kostitsyn still his waterboy? Why do speedy players on a team allegedly built on speed need to stop for a coffee break while the aging three-ring circus act slowly meanders up to them on the ice? 4 solutions:

1- Marginalize him: Like Lemaire and Savard did to Guy Lafleur. Give him a role more fit for the quality of his play this season and take whatever help he bring within the system. Promote players in front of him and limit his ice time.

2-Trade him: I don't know if I'd go this far, but if Gainey feels there's some serious problems around the bend if his work conditions are modified, he needs to be traded.

3-Do little: Tweak the lineup a bit. Free Kostitsyn by moving him to another line where he can be more helpful. Let Kovalev SergeiSamsonize lesser players on his line.

4-Do nothing: Keep the blindfolds on. Leave your top goalscorer waste away his firepower in a spectator role. Wish for the best.

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 02-27-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:02 AM
giovannicanella

Quote:
Depends on opportunities, not team performance.
Probably yes the team has been thoroughly assessed from day one to...right up to the deadline...will 2 games change all of what was proven/shown previously? Not that likely.

So I agree yes it depends on the opportunities presented to us by the trade market. I believe Gainey when he says he is looking for a centre. It is obviously are most pressing need after addressing the PP AND dman issue...(It took so long to address because of the market AND salary cap...) The main reason we are looking for a centre is because BIG GUN Robert Lang has been felled by an untimely and severe injury (Although it can be argues that all injuries for us are untimely?)

Robert Lang was an essential part of our lineup. We can survive without him but we are not interested in surviving, we want the cup. No matter what everyone says we will never sell our soul (IE crazy assets and uber amounts of roster players) for marquee players a la Lecavalier etc....We will approach (Gainey ) Rather will approach the trademarket like he always does...like a wise professor : )

giovannicanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:10 AM
giovannicanella

Quote:
1- Marginalize him: Like Lemaire and Savard did to Guy Lafleur. Give him a role more fit to the quality of his play this season and take whatever help he bring within the system. Promote players in front of him and limit his ice time.

2-Trade him: I don't know if I'd go this far, but if Gainey feels there's some serious problems around the bend if his work conditions are modified, he needs to be traded.

3-Do little: Tweak the lineup a bit, free Kostitsyn by moving him to another line where he can be more helpful. Let Kovalev SergeiSamsonize lesser players on the team.

4-Do nothing: Keep the blindfolds on. Leave your best sniper waste away his firepower in a spectator role. Wish for the best.
1) They did that with Ryder and it did a world of good? I do not think option 1 as you present is Gainey's style with Kovalev but then again...we have seen a big surprise when he sent him home for 2 days.

2) Trading Kovalev is a possibility only in the sense that his 2 day hiatus alerted a lot of teams of his presence. Teams will inquire and may be tempted to overpay...Gainey might bite who knows.

3) lol SergeiSamsonize other players on the team lol, well in my view Kovalev is more motivated to help the team than Sergei, but then again Kovalev seams to play emotionless sometimes (According to Gainey and well everyone?) But I believe he tries really hard...just needs to make better decisions less risky plays sometimes...you know..choose when to strike...like a cobra or something.

4) Do nothing I promise is NOT what will Gainey or any of the coaching staff will do...as Carbo said his door is always open and rest assured the CH will do everything in its power to galvanize/motivate their 4.5 million dollar investment ,Kovalev, he has so much potential and can really...erm...lead the team to the cup, when he is on form...

giovannicanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

I personally think very little hinges on these 2 games. Gainey's made his observations, has his pro scouting assessments lined up and knows who he'll act on if they become available. I doubt anything in the next 2 can override what's been seen in the first 61.

The shot he took across Kovalev's bow tells me he's steadfastly sticking with him.

If we pretend that Schneider was a deadline deal then we're already going into this time of year as one of the teams that has most addressed a need. If Gainey does nothing from here on in at least he's done this.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:16 AM
Crystal Met

gainey is shopping a replacement for lang, he said it clearly and i think he wants to go with the d we have now.

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 06:46 AM
RushDP

Quote:
So you admit to avoiding the board when the Habs lose? You just proved my point.

I'll be sure to ask around about you... whatever. Like I care.
I avoid the boards after a loss too. Why would I want to read threads that are apocalyptic and full of piss and vinegar? I skip a day and more level heads are posting by then.

Are you suggesting anybody that does this is a bandwagoner and not a fan? Those that skip a day after a loss are probably as good a fan as can be found and don't want to see their team being picked apart and devoured by vultures.

Old
02-27-2009, 07:05 AM
albertabound

We will not win the next 2 games-we don't have what it takes with the media the crying players (BGL) and now Begin is gone , Dandy wants to go. Why do players want to leave. I think we need a new coach.

albertabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 08:32 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifi View Post
We will not win the next 2 games-we don't have what it takes with the media the crying players (BGL) and now Begin is gone , Dandy wants to go. Why do players want to leave. I think we need a new coach.
Ok Fifi, you got a deal.
You are now the coach. What will you do differently, post it here so I can flame away at it.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:35 PM
C4KOMI

Attachment 32400

Last edited by C4KOMI: 11-11-2009 at 12:05 AM.
C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:47 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I'm also very concerned by the Kovalev issue. Can we go forward with a completely impotent 5 on 5 player as our go-to guy? Why is Kostitsyn still his waterboy? Why do speedy players on a team allegedly built on speed need to stop for a coffee break while the aging three-ring circus act slowly meanders up to them on the ice? 4 solutions:

1- Marginalize him: Like Lemaire and Savard did to Guy Lafleur. Give him a role more fit for the quality of his play this season and take whatever help he bring within the system. Promote players in front of him and limit his ice time.

3-Do little: Tweak the lineup a bit. Free Kostitsyn by moving him to another line where he can be more helpful. Let Kovalev SergeiSamsonize lesser players on his line.

4-Do nothing: Keep the blindfolds on. Leave your top goalscorer waste away his firepower in a spectator role. Wish for the best.
We've been going forward with an impotent #1 center for years now...

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by visorwearinghockey View Post
We've been going forward with an impotent #1 center for years now...
Can't blame him for that. He is who he is and it's not his fault that we haven't got a true star player.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 05:12 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Can't blame him for that. He is who he is and it's not his fault that we haven't got a true star player.
Yeah, it's not his fault he is what he is. It's like players who get attacked because of their big contracts... even though it's the teams that are responsible for it in the first place.

But the main point is that if year-in year-out Gainey heads into the season with an impotent first line center, then I don't see his deadline strategy swaying based on the sudden impotency of a historically enigmatic winger.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote