HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

February 26, 2009 | "Torch the Torts | Panthers @ Ranger$

View Poll Results: Rag$ or Riches
Rag$ 4 20.00%
Riches 16 80.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Gaebriel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
No, we definitely wanted the Sabres to win
You always want the team lower in the standings to win unless they are playing a team so far ahead of you as to be out of reach. This playoff race is far from over. I hate Carolina more than any other team, but their win tonight helps us.

Gaebriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:11 PM
handbanana
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaebriel View Post
You always want the team lower in the standings to win unless they are playing a team so far ahead of you as to be out of reach. This playoff race is far from over. I hate Carolina more than any other team, but their win tonight helps us.
I'm still choosing to hold a grudge because they couldn't even win right.

handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by portal333 View Post
I'm still choosing to hold a grudge because they couldn't even win right.
Technically, since the Sabres led for most of the game, they couldn't win right.

You can hold a grudge that we tied it to make it a 3-point game though.

Speaking of which, thanks for not making yours tonight a 3-point one.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Haj

We were lucky to win this game. The Rangers probably should have scored at least 4 goals. We are not going to beat NJ or WSH with similar efforts.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
That's what I always thought, but according to this geek, the Canes win hurt us more than a Sabres win would have ..

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:11 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Congrats guys....I love seeing NY fail.

How did Frolik look tonight? 18 mins...solid.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Anisimovs AK

Congrats Panther fans, Great win! It's been far too long since you guys have had the chance to enjoy a playoff race. Break the 8 year curse .

Anisimovs AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 06:09 AM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Congrats guys....I love seeing NY fail.

How did Frolik look tonight? 18 mins...solid.
He looked pretty sloppy the first 2 periods, as did most of the team. But he really came out flying in the 3rd. He blocked some shots that could have easily gone in. He missed a golden one timer though. Overall he did OK.

Boooooth10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 06:22 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Because he had Tarnasky who would have been the healthy scratch?

You're reaching Michael
Tarnasky can't do a reasonable impression of Stillman as a scoring winger. Neither can this season's McLean. Repik, Matthias or Meyer could have been called up.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

I was happy we were able to pull out a win although like some here have said we need to step up our efforts if we want to have a chance against some of the other teams. That being said Lunqvuist robbed us of a couple goals early in the game. Great effort by Booth tonight, and what a move by Horton where he schooled the Rangers Defenceman by putting the puck through his legs. I just wish he would have scored so we could watch it on highlight reels till next week.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Tarnasky can't do a reasonable impression of Stillman as a scoring winger. Neither can this season's McLean. Repik, Matthias or Meyer could have been called up.
Anyone know if Stillman will be back in for the game Saturday???

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
That's what I always thought, but according to this geek, the Canes win hurt us more than a Sabres win would have ..
Perhaps because the 'Canes win now means that only two points separate 5th from 9th, and one of those 5 teams competing for the 4 spots won't make the playoffs. If the Canes had lost, even if the Panthers fell further in the standings, they'd still be further ahead in securing a playoff berth.

02-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
He looked pretty sloppy the first 2 periods, as did most of the team. But he really came out flying in the 3rd. He blocked some shots that could have easily gone in. He missed a golden one timer though. Overall he did OK.
Speaking of blocked shots, that one by Bouwmeester on Dubinsky at the end was a beauty. On the replay, it looked like it could have gone in and would have tied the game.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
I disagree in this case. Buffalo is decimated right now with injuries, so I really think it's inevitable that they're going to have some rough times. If they won, I still feel they're going to struggle in the future and the Canes will make up ground.

Just my thinking.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:47 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
It's really very simple, IMO. Florida's problems invariably seem to come from entering the blue line on the PP. Once we're in, and settled, we're OK. (not good, just OK). But we seem to try and skate through sticks far too often. I hope that we see a return to a more basic approach to the power play, dump it in behind a defender and chase it down. They have to turn around. We don't.
what??? OMG, are you crazy??? dump and chase on the PP? there is NO reason to dump the puck in on the PP. OMG.

seriously, though, they need to simplify. we saw guys trying to go 1 on 4 over the blue line consistently. that's garbage.

Quote:
i don't agree and also don't think you can do that with a healthy vet being scratched every night. that's a crappy message to send. both nasty and mac have given everything to help the team win and the team has won with them both.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Hi Zero!

Not at all crazy. And if you look at the ensuing PP that's exactly what they did. They got simple. The Rangers were stacking the blue line and instead of trying to skate through them, as they did most of the game, they flipped it lightly behind them. I saw McCabe feather a really nice one like that. And then, once they got set they had some decent chances.

Crazyiness, my good sir, is in the beholder.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 814
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...7&postcount=11

Atleast once was right

Mogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Panthers/Leafs fan

I get a perverse delight out of reading the local team's coverage whenever the Panthers beat them. If you're interested, a few grins and laughs here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho..._hold_lea.html

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:52 AM
KW

Quote:
I get a perverse delight out of reading the local team's coverage whenever the Panthers beat them. If you're interested, a few grins and laughs here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho..._hold_lea.html
Thanks for the link, that was funny! Some of the best lines were in the comments section, like "The Devils could win the next 10 stanley cups and they will STILL be second class citizens in the metro area."

That got me to thinking (cold sweat) whether the Panthers are in the same boat as Devils, but that's not the case because it's not that they're going to see another hockey team. Unlike the Devils organization, the Panthers don't need the S.FL Rangers fans to swap their jerseys. They just need the (currently) silent majority to hop on the winning bandwagon. Keep winning, they will come. It's at least a lot easier than changing decades old family traditions.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:31 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Hi Zero!

Not at all crazy. And if you look at the ensuing PP that's exactly what they did. They got simple. The Rangers were stacking the blue line and instead of trying to skate through them, as they did most of the game, they flipped it lightly behind them. I saw McCabe feather a really nice one like that. And then, once they got set they had some decent chances.

Crazyiness, my good sir, is in the beholder.
crazy beholder, that is!

i was being sarcastic (hence the smiley). i argued in defense of dumps/chips on the PP last year and a few posters continued to insist there is no reason to do that. the way you have to approach is you come back and regroup after a clear, try to come at the PK with speed and options and gain the zone without giving up the puck but... you only have 2 minutes, no time to circle around if you can't get in clean (sometimes you see the puck carrier circle around if he's totally angled off and can't get the puck in or if he's got guys who've gone in off-side but that's the exception not the rule). get the puck in deep in those cases where the other guys have set up well and forced the issue in the neutral zone. you still outnumber them and should have a big advantage when it comes to winning the puck (heck, you should certainly have way more speed than usual as PKs rarely commit guys to an aggressive forecheck and so you should be able to break out cleanly and hit the neutral zone in stride). if you watch any hockey you'd realize this is very common. i even see detroit do this.

anyhow, i'm preaching to the choir here

Old
02-27-2009, 12:22 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
Thanks.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
what??? OMG, are you crazy??? dump and chase on the PP? there is NO reason to dump the puck in on the PP. OMG.

seriously, though, they need to simplify. we saw guys trying to go 1 on 4 over the blue line consistently. that's garbage.

i don't agree and also don't think you can do that with a healthy vet being scratched every night. that's a crappy message to send. both nasty and mac have given everything to help the team win and the team has won with them both.
frankly, the only crappy message I would want to send to mac is your crappy production this season makes it impossible to get rid of your crappy contract because you have been such a crappy player this season. Sure you have given everything you got but that's the problem. It would be better to say you have a poor attitude, are lazy and are wasting your talent rather than for all your effort your talent just isn't good enough. Then another team might take a gamble and want you thinking they can get you to produce where the Cats couldn't.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:30 PM
zeroG

Quote:
frankly, the only crappy message I would want to send to mac is your crappy production this season makes it impossible to get rid of your crappy contract because you have been such a crappy player this season. Sure you have given everything you got but that's the problem. It would be better to say you have a poor attitude, are lazy and are wasting your talent rather than for all your effort your talent just isn't good enough. Then another team might take a gamble and want you thinking they can get you to produce where the Cats couldn't.
no, no, he produced just fine last year. sometimes (or years) it's a struggle - you just can't find the chemistry with your linemates for whatever reason. pelts had an off year last year and everyone was calling him a bum. now look at him. that's shortsighted, imo. i'm not saying i would off-load him somewhere as he probably doesn't fit into the organization's plans but he can turn it around.

Old
02-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
I disagree.. i think its best to have the least amount of teams able to get into the playoffs. Its hard to be thinking about getting a great seed when the playoffs are anything but guaranteed at this point.

The point is, if we happen to lose a few games in a row, we'll still make the playoffs. Now, we still have to worry about carolina. Though, i agree, it's a tough situation.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote