HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ossi and Metro Waived Metro to MTL Ossi to VAN

Old
02-26-2009, 04:12 PM
AaronTrieu

vCash: 500
I like both players. its tough to part with players that have been part of the season. Moves had to be made. Metro was ok the whole season. On any other team he would be great, but we just have too much depth. Waiving Ossi sucks bad, but its kind of like a one step back and two steps forwards. Our defensmen are still pretty decent. We got coby, kimmo, parent, and carle still. Moves still could be made for Jones. Time will tell. The team will be better with briere back in the line up. Especially in the playoffs.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Get Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
No one can offer any further insight on any of this?
If Ossi or Metro are sent to the Phantoms, and then were later called up and someone claims them, then we would still be on the books for 1/2 their salary. I'm not sure how this works for the playoffs tho.

I believe waiver claim options start with the 30th place team in the league, then 29th, etc.

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
This came really as a surprise, but not really shocking. I think it would have been a better move to send Jones somewhere in exchange for some draft picks or perhaps a prospect. I think Ossi is a better D-Man.

Poor Metro. He's basically the odd man out because Brière as a winger didn't really work out. Well, his goal drought between October and February also didn't speak for him.
Out of curiousity, where would you trade Jones?

Ossi better than Jones?

Metro is a casualty of the depth, and cap...agreed.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 04:17 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1457
Quote:
Until someone directly answers, this link can offer some help.

http://www.nhlscap.com/faq.htm
Quote:

http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

Q: If more than one team claims a player on waivers, who gets him?
A: It depends on when waivers is requested.

If before November 1, then priority is set by the final standings in the prior League’s Regular Season, with the worst team having 1st priority.
If after November 1, then priority is set by the League standings at the time the waiver request is submitted; the team with the lowest percentage of possible points has 1st priority – meaning that the waiver order can change during the season.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 04:18 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
If Ossi is claimed, the team that claims him will be responsible for 100% of his remaining salary/cap hit.

If Ossi clears waivers, is sent down to the AHL, recalled and claimed, the team that claims him is responsible for 50% of his remaining salary/cap hit and the Flyers are responsible for 50% of his remaining salary/cap hit.

Waiver order is based on points percentage because, due to games played, a team could have less points but a higher points percentage than another team. Right now the Isles get first crack at any player on waivers. If they claim Ossi, they'll still have first crack at the next player on waivers; claiming someone does not change the waiver order. If a team is carrying a full roster, they have to make a move to clear roster space for a claimed player, though.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 04:22 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
After the season is over for the Hurricanes, he can come back this year.
When does their season end? And will we have room for him w/ Briere back?

Edit: I guess it depends on if they make it to the playoffs.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 02-26-2009 at 04:27 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
When does their season end? And we have room for him w/ Briere back?
It all depends on if they make the playoffs and how far they go if they do. I'm not sure about the cap ramifications, but he's definately able to join the team at the end of the Lethbridge Hurricanes season.

Old
02-26-2009, 04:27 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Cooper View Post
So far I have heard from different sources:

1. Briere coming back.

2. Metro waived.

3. Ossi waived.

4. Kukks sent down.

5. Powe to be sent down.

According to my suspect math skills, this leaves 6 d-men and 11 forwards.(?)
With Metro being waived, Powe being sent down makes zero sense. Powe is turning into the Thor of last year, but he can actually score. I also don't agree with keeping Cote in games during the playoffs. Maybe they bring Kalinski up by then?

flyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 04:31 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
If Ossi or Metro are sent to the Phantoms, and then were later called up and someone claims them, then we would still be on the books for 1/2 their salary. I'm not sure how this works for the playoffs tho.

I believe waiver claim options start with the 30th place team in the league, then 29th, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Until someone directly answers, this link can offer some help.

http://www.nhlscap.com/faq.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
If Ossi is claimed, the team that claims him will be responsible for 100% of his remaining salary/cap hit.

If Ossi clears waivers, is sent down to the AHL, recalled and claimed, the team that claims him is responsible for 50% of his remaining salary/cap hit and the Flyers are responsible for 50% of his remaining salary/cap hit.

Waiver order is based on points percentage because, due to games played, a team could have less points but a higher points percentage than another team. Right now the Isles get first crack at any player on waivers. If they claim Ossi, they'll still have first crack at the next player on waivers; claiming someone does not change the waiver order. If a team is carrying a full roster, they have to make a move to clear roster space for a claimed player, though.
Thanks a lot, all three of you. I had been doing some reading through the CBA, but wasn't finding any answers....and it's a hell of a lot of reading, lol. I did just finally come across some of the info you guys posted above.

I was especially fuzzy on how the waiver period is handled. For some reason, I thought that each team sort of had like a window of time to put in a claim, and if they didn't...then it moved on to the next team. From what I gather now, there is basically a 24 hour period during which any of the other 29 teams can put in a claim. And once the period is over, basically, the crappiest team that put in a claim gets the player. So, I guess when you put in one of those claims, you're just hoping for the best...and you don't know if you got the player or not until the 24 hours is over...well, I guess you don't know unless you're the very worst team in which case you would know the player is definitely yours.

But anyway...it's an interesting process. I wonder what the most claims ever put in on a player have ever been? Or I wonder what players the Flyers have maybe tried to claim in recent years, but didn't get because a worse team's claim took precedence.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 04:32 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Boy, once you get into Stevens' doghouse you haven't got a hope in hell of getting out.
Upshall escaped and it has looked to me as though he profited from the experience.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 04:42 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamski7 View Post
i doubt it. he obviously mustve tried and there were no takers. why give up a pick when you know a team is going to just waive them?

That's not how it works. The lowest point totals team gets first dibs. If another team expects the Islanders (for example) to claim them, they would have to make a trade to have any chance.

Therefore, as you suggested, the only team that would say to themselves "lets not give them a pick when we know they are going to waive them" would be the Islanders. Of course, their fear is that another team is going to get them through a trade so maybe we should make a trade too.

My point is that either nodoby wanted them for a pick or the Flyers didn't really shop much before hand, which is ridiculous in my opinion.

Expect both to be claimed. If Mark Bell is claimed immediately by the Rangers, then other teams will certainly have interest in Metro and Vannanen

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 04:43 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Upshall escaped and it has looked to me as though he profited from the experience.
Upshall has been garbage lately. GARBAGE

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:

The cap does not apply in the playoffs. [Bill Daly's comment from a year and change ago; confirmed in an e-mail I have from him circa July, 2007.] Sbisa could rejoin the Flyers after Lethbridge is done playing for this year - which means the team would have to be eliminated from the playoffs.

To the question of how Metro and Vaananen would be treated for cap purposes: if someone claims them now, the pro-rated portion of their cap hit goes to the claiming team and the Flyers retain the amount they counted to that point. Figuring this for LTIR is another matter [and I don't have the time to get into that right now] - but let's say that if Metropolit and Vaananen both clear and get assigned, the Flyers would have enough room to bring Briere back onto the roster. Anyone they assign after that is simply bonus room that's available in case the Flyers make a trade between now and the deadline.

The explanation for waivers given up above is correct.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 05:02 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:

Last Regular season game of the Hurricanes is March 15th.

Last WHL post-season started March 21st and ended May 7th with the finals decided in 4 games, with the Hurricanes playing runner-up that year so they might make another deep playoff run this year.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 05:10 PM
DUHockey9

Funny that this happens after I start a thread praising Alberts (at least I think this occured after I started my thread.) Anyway, I guess I'm in the minority but I like Alberts more than Ossi. He hits more, and he skates better. Ossi was fantastic at the beginning of the year, but when he's gotten time lately he's seemed to have hands of stone. I think Alberts is becoming the new Jones in that people only remember the way he was when he first got here, and don't seem to see the good things he actually does.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech View Post
Ummm, couldn't disagree more.

Per pannotch
Quote:
With Ossi Vaananen also being waived today, all the Flyers have to do now is move Lasse Kukkonen and should be able to get under the cap.

That means Powe can remain on the roster ... none of this, however, will help the Flyers gain room to make a major deal at the deadline.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...Waived/2/19638

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 05:14 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Upshall has been great lately. If Powe could finish Upshall would have a lot more to show for it

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Upshall has been great lately. If Powe could finish Upshall would have a lot more to show for it
Powe likes to shoot at the goalies chest.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech View Post
Wow.

Are you watching DVR'd games from three years ago, or the last handful of current games?

Old
02-26-2009, 05:21 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Ossi and Metro waived...but Lasse Kukkonen, who John Stevens would rather play himself over...he's still around.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

There's no way Powe can be sent down now that Metro's been waived. We'd only have 10 forwards, 11 once Briere is activated.

If Vaananen and Kukkonen are sent down, we then have no extra skaters and no cap room to bring someone up in case of injury. I hate our cap situation.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 05:23 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Ossi and Metro waived...but Lasse Kukkonen, who John Stevens would rather play himself over...he's still around.
Well they havent been re-assigned yet.

Kukkonen has already been waived. I think he can still be sent down at any time, ie Tomorrow morning

and Storm I think Metro + only one of Vaananen/Kukkonen is enough room for Briere.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 05:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
There's no way Powe can be sent down now that Metro's been waived. We'd only have 10 forwards, 11 once Briere is activated.

If Vaananen and Kukkonen are sent down, we then have no extra skaters and no cap room to bring someone up in case of injury. I hate our cap situation.
Kukkonen has to be waived again.

Old
02-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post

Our cap situation is so bad it's not even funny!

I can't believe FlyHigh see's it as otherwise.

Old
02-26-2009, 05:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Well they havent been re-assigned yet.

Kukkonen has already been waived. I think he can still be sent down at any time, ie Tomorrow morning

and Storm I think Metro + only one of Vaananen/Kukkonen is enough room for Briere.
30 days was yesterday I believe. IB and I had a discussion about this.