HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ossi and Metro Waived Metro to MTL Ossi to VAN

Old
02-26-2009, 09:15 PM
TheKingPin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I don't know if anyone mentioned this before, but I don't feel like sifting through ~200 posts.

Am I the only one thinking the Flyers had full intention of waiving Ossi for a while now? I mean him being a healthy scratch just started recently, around the time when Briere was starting to look into making his return. I don't know maybe I'm wrong.
I believe Opus said the same.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:17 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Unless Markstrom comes back with Bouwmeester. I could live with that. I'd rather give up JVR than the first round pick.
At first this made no sense to me. To give JVR instead of a 25+ pick. The only think I can think of why youd say this is if we drafted a goalie with the pick? JVR is a number 2 overall, thats worth more than a 25th overall, even in this draft.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Flyersfan1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
You can blame that on our esteemed General Manager, who is trying to dump 2 of the 3 guys we signed in July.
Yeah 2 guys who STUNK. Seriously are you really *****ing about losing Glen Metropolit and Ossi Vaananan ? These guys are depth players who were brought in to help the team. They didn't. They got replaced by younger players in Powe and Parent.

Please stop your *****ing.

Flyersfan1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:38 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan1216 View Post
Yeah 2 guys who STUNK. Seriously are you really *****ing about losing Glen Metropolit and Ossi Vaananan ? These guys are depth players who were brought in to help the team. They didn't. They got replaced by younger players in Powe and Parent.

Vannanen is the 5th best d-man we have IMO. Should have been in the lineup. Metro was probably our best faceoff man too but yeah I guess they STUNK!

Last edited by PhilaFlyers: 02-26-2009 at 09:50 PM.
PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Flyersfan1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Vannanen is the 5th best d-man we have IMO. Should have been in the lineup. Metro was probably our best faceoff man too but yeah I guess they STUNK!!!
5th best in your opinion ? It's too bad your not the GM. Vaananan lost his job to a rookie and Alberts.

Metro face off percentage is what ? I'd take a guess around 50 % ? That is decent. With Briere back he has no place in the top 9. He's useless on the 4th line. Not a physical player. Powe took his spot on the roster.

Get rid of these bums. I swear the hard on flyer fans get for bad players. There is a reason Metro is on his 6th team is 7 years. A reason Vaananan didn't play in the NHL last year and is own his way back to Europe.

Where is everyone's so called " hero " from last year. The guy most fans wanted playing Lasse Kukkonen. Oh yeah passed through waivers again and in the AHL. I think Holmgren and Stevens know what they are doing.

Old
02-26-2009, 09:55 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
5th best in your opinion ? It's too bad your not the GM. Vaananan lost his job to a rookie and Alberts.

Metro face off percentage is what ? I'd take a guess around 50 % ? That is decent. With Briere back he has no place in the top 9. He's useless on the 4th line. Not a physical player. Powe took his spot on the roster.

Where is everyone's so called " hero " from last year. The guy most fans wanted playing Lasse Kukkonen. Oh yeah passed through waivers again and in the AHL. I think Holmgren and Stevens know what they are doing.
Get rid of these bums. I swear the hard on flyer fans get for bad players. There is a reason Metro is on his 6th team is 7 years. A reason Vaananan didn't play in the NHL last year and is own his way back to Europe.
Yep, bums you got it right.
Vannanen>Alberts any day of the week.

Old
02-26-2009, 09:58 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
At first this made no sense to me. To give JVR instead of a 25+ pick. The only think I can think of why youd say this is if we drafted a goalie with the pick? JVR is a number 2 overall, thats worth more than a 25th overall, even in this draft.
Yeah, but this is a number two overall who has taken a noticeable step back in his development and it's something that management has noticed. Is it giving up on him too early? Maybe. I look at like this though. Holmgren went to JVR and his parents this past summer to talk about JVR turning pro. Holmgren felt that it was best for his development as he needed to take that next step to be challenged. The moment JVRs parents asked where JVR would play and Holmgren said he would probably start the year with the Phantoms, they put the kaibosh on JVR signing and said he was going back to school. With that being said, what if, after this season, the Flyers come knocking again, JVR asks if he will be starting the Flyers or the minors and then spurns them? We're left holding the back on the possibility that he signs as a UFA with any team (see Blake Wheeler). I'd rather get something for someone who might not want to be here. I'd like to think that Bouwmeester and Markstrom would more than make up for the loss of JVR. As well, we'd get to keep our first round pick and make a deal to trade down and acquire more picks or we stay where we are and pick the best available player.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Holmgren doesn't agree with you. I don't necessarily disagree with you, but for what it's worth...Ossi wasn't even in the NHL last season. I'm sure there is a good reason why he was waived and Alberts wasn't. Could be a number of factors that we fans wouldn't know.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Flyersfan1216

Quote:
NHL gm's disagree with you. But hey what do they know !

I'll say this one more time. Alberts is valuable. He is physical. He is good on the PK.

Vaananan was solid in the beginning of the year but stunk as the season went on. He lost his physical edge. When a player with no other skill then being physical loses that he becomes worthless.

Old
02-26-2009, 10:21 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
NHL gm's disagree with you. But hey what do they know !
NHL GMs do NOT make mistakes!
Never question GMS!
They know ALL!

Old
02-26-2009, 11:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:

It's not about the players, it's about the depth we're losing. First of all, Ossi was amongst the most beloved players on here during most of the season when he was playing with Timonen. They got Parent into the lineup and all of a sudden we kept hearing about how bad Vaananen was, so you really need to stop drinking the kool aid, because that's exactly what you did. That's like a Todd McShay flip-flop.

When we traded for Alberts...Alberts, Briere, Vaananen, Metropolit, Kukkonen, Sbisa (in lieu of Parent), Nodl (in lieu of Giroux) were all on the same roster at the same time. Now we hear about how they have to be waived because we don't have enough options. I'm sorry, that is unacceptable. Holmgren at some point will have to take responsibility for his mistakes.

I'll take the combination of Vaananen, Metropolit and Kukkonen over Jones, who is really the one who room had to be made for, when the real math is complete. When it comes down to it, come playoff time, I'll take those three mediocre players over one mediocre player.

Quote:
NHL GMs do NOT make mistakes!
Never question GMS!
They know ALL!
We're allowed to be wrong.

It's a GM's job to not be wrong.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
It's not about the players, it's about the depth we're losing. First of all, Ossi was amongst the most beloved players on here during most of the season when he was playing with Timonen. They got Parent into the lineup and all of a sudden we kept hearing about how bad Vaananen was, so you really need to stop drinking the kool aid, because that's exactly what you did. That's like a Todd McShay flip-flop.

When we traded for Alberts...Alberts, Briere, Vaananen, Metropolit, Kukkonen, Sbisa (in lieu of Parent), Nodl (in lieu of Giroux) were all on the same roster at the same time. Now we hear about how they have to be waived because we don't have enough options. I'm sorry, that is unacceptable. Holmgren at some point will have to take responsibility for his mistakes.

I'll take the combination of Vaananen, Metropolit and Kukkonen over Jones, who is really the one who room had to be made for, when the real math is complete. When it comes down to it, come playoff time, I'll take those three mediocre players over one mediocre player.
It's because we traded for Carle which added salary, and then Jones came off IR. So yeah, the start of the year was fine and then we added two overpaid defensemen.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Jester

Quote:
We're allowed to be wrong.

It's a GM's job to not be wrong.
Everyone is allowed to be wrong from time to time...perfection is impossible.

No one has a job "to be wrong."

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Everyone is allowed to be wrong from time to time...perfection is impossible.

No one has a job "to be wrong."
I think more than a few times is enough when you're being paid as much money as NHL GMs do, and considering the stakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
It's because we traded for Carle which added salary, and then Jones came off IR. So yeah, the start of the year was fine and then we added two overpaid defensemen.
Yes, Carle is overpaid, you could throw that name into the conversation if you wanted to, and do more math. Jones an Carle's combined cap hits are only $300K less than Briere's full cap hit (which when he comes back, will not be his full cap hit). While Vaananen-Metropolit-Kukkonen are $125K more than Jones by himself (and that's (Jones' full cap hit too, not the roughly 35-40% of the season he missed to be fair.) But all the guys being discussed as being waived for being too expensive for the cap, were all on the roster when Briere was 2 games into the season.

Old
02-26-2009, 11:28 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

It's all melding together, "Lossi Kukkovan".

I remember when Kukkonen was the toast of the town, doesn't make mistakes, solid, blocks shots, does the little things. That's all forgotten now that he's cleared waivers twice with not a single GM in hockey seeing any value in him.

Now it's Vaananen's turn to be Mister Solid done wrong by the ill-thinking GM and his duncepuppet coach (or do I have that backward?).

Quote:

Deja vu -
Could you be the dream that I once knew?
Is it you?
Deja vu -
Could you be the dream that might come true?
Shining through

I keep remembering me
I keep remembering you
Deja vu
I think the Kukkonen kerfluffle-gone-quiet should put to rest the notion that TV viewers are more capable in judging the relative merits of Flyer defensemen than the GM and coaches who get paid handsomely to do same.

Last edited by JXC: 02-26-2009 at 11:33 PM.
JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Just about everyone believed Vaananen has been solid. It was only since he got benched when people all of a sudden decided he wasn't that good. If everything they do is so perfect, how come they're not the best team in the league? Because Jeff Carter can't play defense?

Old
02-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I think the Kukkonen kerfluffle-gone-quiet should put to rest the notion that TV viewers are more capable in judging the relative merits of Flyer defensemen than the GM and coaches who get paid handsomely to do same.
I just don't understand how you can say things like that when you're a fan of Randy Jones.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 07:52 AM
kicksave27

Lupul & Carle/Jones +Ahler for J-bo? Lupul is gotta go in the off season anyway when his 4mil cap hit kicks in.

With the ducks getting whitney from the pens, pronger may be available. And the ducks like lupul.

The only problem is everyone and their mother is going to be asking for Giroux or sisba in any trade. I'd rather trade danny than giroux at this point because danny isn't going to get healthier as he gets older.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 08:05 AM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Ossi wasn't even in the NHL last season.
Why you keep repeating that? What the hell does that matter?
Ossi has been playing better than Alberts and his salary is abit lower than Alberts', that makes the move quite weird.

All we can do now is to hope nobody claims them from waivers and we could use them in the playoffs. Yes, even Metro. He's been improving lately but clearly not enough.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRiles View Post
Why you keep repeating that? What the hell does that matter?
Ossi has been playing better than Alberts and his salary is abit lower than Alberts', that makes the move quite weird.
I post it because it's the facts, and I'm sure if he's as good as some of you suggest, he'd have played in the NHL last season. But alas, he wasn't. I'm sure there is some reason for it.

If Timonen wasn't sick, Ossi would still watching from the press box. Do I agree with it, probably not...but I'm not an NHL coach, nor am I an NHL GM...and never will be. I trust they know what they are doing as they are a million times more qualified than myself, or anybody else on this board for that matter. We also don't know what goes on in the locker room/off the ice...let's not pretend that we do.

Alberts salary is more, yes. So are many other players on the current roster, so what. (see above in bold)

Quote:
All we can do now is to hope nobody claims them from waivers and we could use them in the playoffs. Yes, even Metro. He's been improving lately but clearly not enough.
The fact that Stevens (for whatever reason), hasn't been playing Ossi, who cares if he's claimed? It's pretty obvious he's not going to see much ice (barring illness or injury) so it's not a huge loss. Sbisa will more than likely rejoin the team once his season is complete in the WHL, and until then, I guess Kukks is back on the interim.

Metro, for a 4th line center has been decent enough...but Powe makes him expendable with more energy and better finishing abilities.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 08:33 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
I believe Opus said the same.
Ok, like I said I didn't want to read through all the posts.

Opus and I on the same page? Who'd uh thunk it?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Heres to hoping Jones is moved somehow. The guy makes too much money...I think he had 3 clear-cut turnovers on Wednesday night.

Having him and Carle on the roster is redundant, plus Carle is a better player with more upside. If only we can get him a skating coach in the offseason -- he looks like he skates through mud on a cold winter day in Thunder Bay.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:11 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
Heres to hoping Jones is moved somehow. The guy makes too much money...I think he had 3 clear-cut turnovers on Wednesday night.

Having him and Carle on the roster is redundant, plus Carle is a better player with more upside. If only we can get him a skating coach in the offseason -- he looks like he skates through mud on a cold winter day in Thunder Bay.
Ossi got waived over Jones. Jones makes more money and is waaaaaay worse. Guess Holmgren wants to keep Stevens butt happy.... As for Metro, I could care less, Powe stole his spot. Im OK with that.

Im wit u Carle, heres to hoping Jones gets DAS BOOT

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:12 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Maybe we can use Ossi, Jones and Metro as trade bait to reacquire Steve Eminger from Tampa Bay. I still think Eminger got the shaft here and he certainly deserved better than that trial period they gave him. He was starting to play really well once he got acclimated here.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:16 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Hey cool I got a sticky!

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote