HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All non-Flyers' transactions: -- Trade Deadline Discourse - Deux

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2009, 10:01 PM
flyersguy33*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamski7 View Post
how do you figure? if anything since he's been playing so well more teams would be inquiring about him
The kid is going to be a stud, and a cheap one at that for the next 3 years. With the cap likely not rising, there is no way in hell he goes anywhere.

Old
02-26-2009, 10:02 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
There is no way we give up Coburn. He is close enough to Jbo given the salary difference. It makes no sense. I think that was thrown out there by Panther fans. I mean you hear names like Coburn and JVR, the in here asked about Richards lol, for a UFA to be? That makes no sense what so ever. Even a player like JayBo loses a lot of value when if he is a rental. Much rather go for Pronger.
I think Id rather Pronger too. His cap hit is only 6.25(Jbo could get more) and his contract is for only 2 more years(Jbo will want more than that.

Old
02-26-2009, 10:08 PM
riskyxxbusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Id doubt Homer is stupid enough Giroux.
i hope he isn't...however just to play it safe, my orange jersey is going to remain blank until march 5th.

Old
02-26-2009, 10:12 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I think Id rather Pronger too. His cap hit is only 6.25(Jbo could get more) and his contract is for only 2 more years(Jbo will want more than that.
Plus he has the been there done that mind set that would be huge if plays with a guy like parent. Cause if we make it to Detroit and Parent is out there against Z Dats and Hossa with Lidstrom and Rafalski on the back end, I want Pronger out there ****ing **** up.

Old
02-26-2009, 10:33 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
It's fun at times but at the same time it makes me nervous we'll trade one of my favourites...and sometimes I can't stand all the rumours and just wish it would be over so we know what happens.
imagine how the players feel - no way any of them wanna leave. i'd hate to be lupul right now. they probably just can't wait til the deadline's done, but i guess deep down they know that it's business, nothing else.

Old
02-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Shoeny

Quote:
There is no way we give up Coburn. He is close enough to Jbo given the salary difference. It makes no sense. I think that was thrown out there by Panther fans. I mean you hear names like Coburn and JVR, the in here asked about Richards lol, for a UFA to be? That makes no sense what so ever. Even a player like JayBo loses a lot of value when if he is a rental. Much rather go for Pronger.
panthers fans are naive to think that they will get anything close to full value. jvr is an overpayment for a rental jbo. no other team is truly in the bidding on jbo. someone tell me another team that could offer anything better than a lupul for jbo trade straight up.

getting rid of prospect that is not against the cap makes it impossible. there isnt enough time to get the panthers to agree to a trade and get jbo signed. panthers fans and especially hockey writers need to look up what trade deadline trades look like.

Old
02-26-2009, 11:12 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1505
From Anthony S.:

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...078&feedID=695
Quote:

Of the 23 teams either in a playoff spot or within five points of one prior to Thursday’s games, only Nashville, Los Angeles, and to a lesser extent, Pittsburgh and Columbus have enough wiggle room to trade for a high-salary player without giving up close to equal salary in return.

The Flyers may be in the worst situation of any team, as they will be unable to carry any spare players on their active roster once Danny Briere returns to the lineup Friday against Montreal.

They’ll have 20 active players – that’s it.

General manager Paul Holmgren is exploring options to upgrade his defense, but he is really strapped by the cap.

Thanks to the beauty of the Internet, it’s possible to tune in to talk radio from around the world, and up in Toronto, former Columbus general manager Doug McLean was trotting out a rumor that the Flyers were close to a deal for Bouwmeester.

He had it that the Flyers would send Joffrey Lupul, Braydon Coburn and a first-round pick to the Panthers for Bouwmeester.

Sounds interesting, no? Well, it’s flawed – much like McLean’s career as a GM.

First, Lupul and Coburn don’t make enough money to land Bouwmeester without the Flyers making another trade that would clear an additional $2 million.

Secondly, they really like Coburn, and wouldn’t be making too much of an upgrade by making this trade, and would lose a decent player in Lupul and a top pick to boot.

Old
02-26-2009, 11:19 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Imagine if my Aunt had balls. She'd be my Uncle!
Oy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
He had it that the Flyers would send Joffrey Lupul, Braydon Coburn and a first-round pick to the Panthers for Bouwmeester.
Good heavens!

Old
02-26-2009, 11:22 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Oy!

Good heavens!
How about the "flawed" comment.

Old
02-26-2009, 11:23 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Lol thats pretty close to a deal that would get a signed JBo. Honestly with guys like sucking at being a GM and making rumors like this, there are 10 guy on this site alone that I could see being an excellent GM.

With all this Coburn talk id much rather not do anything. We are on a roll, only losing to two teams that just fired their coach in the last 8. I think we are good enough, especially with Danny coming back.

Old
02-26-2009, 11:25 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
How about the "flawed" comment.
Yeah.

Quote:
Sounds interesting, no? Well, it’s flawed – much like McLean’s career as a GM.

HAMMER BLOW!

Old
02-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Mota

Quote:
Umm...trade carle instead of coburn...problem solved?

Old
02-26-2009, 11:29 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
With all this Coburn talk id much rather not do anything.
Considering what "JayBo" would want for new contract, I think maybe (thinking next year) I'd not deal Coburn for JayBo (Gawl that name is sooooo stupid).

Carle + Lupul + JVR? Naw....

Old
02-26-2009, 11:30 PM
mdm815

I was looking on the FLA message board, and alot of them seem to be under the impression that Lupul and Carle, and a cond. pick or non-jvr prospect(or both) might be the best offer they have coming, and many of them would be happy with it. Not that that means its gonna happen or anything, but I figured I would throw it out there.

Old
02-26-2009, 11:35 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
bring back jimmy dowd!

Old
02-26-2009, 11:36 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Umm...trade carle instead of coburn...problem solved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Considering what "JayBo" would want for new contract, I think maybe (thinking next year) I'd not deal Coburn for JayBo (Gawl that name is sooooo stupid).

Carle + Lupul + JVR? Naw....
That would mean Carle would have been traded three times in about eight months.

Old
02-26-2009, 11:41 PM
dawkins121

We can barely field a full team as it is. If we trade Lupul and Coburn/Carle, then we'd be even more shorthanded.

It's easy to fit star players under the cap if you just cut everyone else out and roll three forward lines and two defensive pairings. Unfortunately, in the real world we need 6 d-men, 12 forwards, and 2 goalies at the very least.

Old
02-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Mota

I said this a while back...but i still think a lupul-carle-1st for jbo deal and then a deal with jones for someone like recchi would be perfect. Trading lupul jones and carle frees up like 8.5 mil of cap space...jbo only takes up about 5 for the rest of this year...recchi is another 1.5...that leaves 2 mil to play with for defensive depth.

gagne-richards-knuble
hartnell-carter-upshall
recchi-giroux-briere
cote-powe-asham

timonen-coburn
jbo-parent
vaanonen-alberts
kuks
sbisa

=

Cup.

Old
02-26-2009, 11:42 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm815 View Post
I was looking on the FLA message board, and alot of them seem to be under the impression that Lupul and Carle, and a cond. pick or non-jvr prospect(or both) might be the best offer they have coming, and many of them would be happy with it. Not that that means its gonna happen or anything, but I figured I would throw it out there.
Thats the only deal Id do: Carle and Lupul with a conditioanl 1st rounder upon signing. And we better sign him.

Old
02-26-2009, 11:45 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I honestly don't see why we can't just stay put?

I mean, we have the best defense in the East (talent-wise) outside of possibly Florida and we maybe have the deepest group of forwards plus decent goaltending.

Trading for J-Bouw is just going to leave us with a really bad cap situation in a couple years unless we give up Coburn and Lupul and find other ways to shed in the future.

Old
02-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Bryz4shiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I said this a while back...but i still think a lupul-carle-1st for jbo deal and then a deal with jones for someone like recchi would be perfect. Trading lupul jones and carle frees up like 8.5 mil of cap space...jbo only takes up about 5 for the rest of this year...recchi is another 1.5...that leaves 2 mil to play with for defensive depth.

gagne-richards-knuble
hartnell-carter-upshall
recchi-giroux-briere
cote-powe-asham

timonen-coburn
jbo-parent
vaanonen-alberts
kuks
sbisa

=

Cup.
I'd love to see Recchi back in a flyers uniform, but how much does he make?

Old
02-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

I mean, we have the best defense in the East (talent-wise) outside of possibly Florida and we maybe have the deepest group of forwards plus decent goaltending.

Trading for J-Bouw is just going to leave us with a really bad cap situation in a couple years unless we give up Coburn and Lupul and find other ways to shed in the future.
The teams going to be in cap hell by as early as next season. Might as well swing for the fences before starting anew.

Old
02-26-2009, 11:51 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:

Yup, when it comes time to pay Coburn, Gioux and JVR we will be ****ED. Parent and Jones will get better every year and there is always Sibsa and Marshall. Id rather keep that Carter line together too. They just needed a kick in the but and then they start scoring again.

Old
02-26-2009, 11:54 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

Agreed. Holmgren doesn't need to tear things apart in order to make a Stanley Cup run. The only thing that's really needed is for one of the goaltenders to step up and become that number one and play solid hockey for sixty minutes. No team matches the depth at forward that the Flyers have, and we have a good defense 1 through 6 (although I'd really wish someone would take out Jones).

Now, if only our coach would quit shuffling the defensive pairings around and leave Timmonen and Coburn together, Carle and Parent and Alberts and Jones......

Old
02-26-2009, 11:56 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
The teams going to be in cap hell by as early as next season. Might as well swing for the fences before starting anew.
I don't see why people keep laboring under this delusion.

I mean, the recession hasn't affected the NHL as much as it has other sports, the stats from attendance and merchandising sales bear that out. The NHL has a smaller group of fans than the NBA, but we are a helluva lot more hard-core. We're the idiots stupid enough to keep paying exorbitant prices for tickets and to keep sticking with the NHL through the lockout.

We have loads of expendable salary headlined by Lupul (4.25), Knuble (2.8), and Jones (2.75).

We're certainly going to be close to the edge, no doubt about that, but as long as we stay smart, we'll be alright.

The problem is that if you throw a 7 mill Bouwmeester into the equation, it all gets screwed up.

Most of us are operating under the assumption that we'll eventually shed Lupul's salary and take little to no salary in return. If we trade for J-Bouw, that flies out the window and then you're looking at trading a Carter or a Gagne to get under the cap.

Closed Thread