HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Trade Rumors/Proposals/Hypotheticals IN HERE Pt. 2

Old
02-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
All Trade Rumors/Proposals/Hypotheticals IN HERE Pt. 2

Continue on...

02-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Sneekypete

vCash: 500
Osi Vaananen isn`t Garbage he is basically a more durable version of Martinek. He would be a upgrade over Gervais,Meyer,Pock at the very least.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 12:45 PM
CodeE

I've thought that the Isles should grab certain players when they hit waivers, and they didn't. Vaananen makes sense for this team and could provide us some flexibility by essentially taking over Brendan Witt's spot the same way Hillen took over Campoli's.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Don't think this was posted anywhere, but caught this on TSN (from two days ago) regarding Witt...

http://www.forecaster.ca/cbc/hockey/se-news.cgi?trade-buzz-09&x_pagespec=20090224&x_SEID=34&x_SEType=2

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:31 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

I can tell you guys that this Higgins thing is getting very close. I know some of you are skeptical, but if an agreement can come to frution on a certain player, he'll be in a NYI sweater as soon as Monday. Things could always fall apart, I keep telling you guys this.. but there is some serious conversation going on.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:34 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
I can tell you guys that this Higgins thing is getting very close. I know some of you are skeptical, but if an agreement can come to frution on a certain player, he'll be in a NYI sweater as soon as Monday. Things could always fall apart, I keep telling you guys this.. but there is some serious conversation going on.
PW, count me in on the guys who likes the specualtion. Its fun! Thanks. I would love to see him in an Isles jersey. Who is the "other "player?

Any other news trade wise?

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:34 PM
xerobasher

funny. I've got Vaananen in my NHL09 NYI team...he's doing pretty well.

xerobasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:40 PM
mitchy22

Vaananen would be a no-brainer pick up for me for the rest of this season. He actually is at least an NHL quality defenseman.

He's making $1 million this season. So pro-rated it's not much to shell out for the rest of the year. If the team is truly looking at offers for Witt then we need another body already here for this season.

To me this opens up options and adds a little bit of depth for the remainder of the season in a place where we're starving for depth.

Seems to me like the type of low risk move the Islanders would look into.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:46 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
PW, count me in on the guys who likes the specualtion. Its fun! Thanks. I would love to see him in an Isles jersey. Who is the "other "player?

Any other news trade wise?
I will say this.. Witt is now involved, but I'm under the impression Snow would like to keep Witt as a separate deal because of the serious interest that Snow's receiving. It's jumping back and fourth, it's hard to say right now. This is likely Gainey's big move of the deadline.. killing two birds with one stone. He still wants Gervais as part of the deal, but can the Islanders afford to send two defenseman to one team? We are likely taking back one of their current defenseman in the deal.

A lot going on, but I'm off to work. I'll give another update later tonight.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:47 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
I will say this.. Witt is now involved, but I'm under the impression Snow would like to keep Witt as a separate deal because of the serious interest that Snow's receiving. It's jumping back and fourth, it's hard to say right now. This is likely Gainey's big move of the deadline.. killing two birds with one stone. He still wants Gervais as part of the deal, but can the Islanders afford to send two defenseman to one team? We are likely taking back one of their current defenseman in the deal.

He can have him.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:53 PM
cjdv16

Quote:

I think a deal of Weight, Witt, and Gervais will require significantly more than just Higgins coming back here.

I can only see the Isles interested in Ryan O'Byrne in terms of the MTL D corp based on his age and upside.

I can also see Snow holding out on Witt (and I've been saying this all along), teams will pay BIG TIME for that kind of player heading into the playoffs.

Given Weight's UFA status, I can see an O'Byrne/Higgins for Weight/Witt/Gervais going down but would think that MTL might need to throw something else the Isles way such as a mid- to late-round pick.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:55 PM
pattyb91

Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
This is shaping up to be one hell of a trade deadline.

btw thanks for the updates PatientlyWaiting. Very exciting stuff!!!

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:

Lets play the speculation game

Witt,Gervais and _____________ to Montreal for Higgins ,____________.

Montreal gives Hamrlik for salary purposes but 5.5 in cap eating so now this brings down the value of higgins a bit because of the cap number.

Park or hilbert goes to montreal

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Koobs11
aka Back door Johnny

Send a message via AIM to Koobs11
for about 2 years now i have thought we should have targeted Ossi Vannanen, he would be a pretty good pick up with size and some skill likes to throw the body, would like for him to be with us....Id kill for Davison back over Hillen

Koobs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 02:11 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploplopfizzfizz View Post

Montreal gives Hamrlik for salary purposes but 5.5 in cap eating so now this brings down the value of higgins a bit because of the cap number.

I'd love to see Hammer back on Long Island. I admit that I thought he was just about done when he left as a free agent (obviously I was wrong there) but I think he'd be very productive in an aggressive forechecking system. He was always overshadowed a bit by Jonsson and Aucoin, but he was one of our best players back in the day and with all the rookies around I could use a little nostalgia.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 02:14 PM
IslesFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploplopfizzfizz View Post

5.5 for Hamrlik? Pass

Is Comeau still in the proposed deal? If not, we'd have some serious upside on offense in the near future if we draft Tavares

Higgins-Tavares-Okposo
???-Bailey-Comeau
Bergenheim-Nielsen-Hunter
???-???-???

Not bad at all.

IslesFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 02:18 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I View Post
I'd love to see Hammer back on Long Island. I admit that I thought he was just about done when he left as a free agent (obviously I was wrong there) but I think he'd be very productive in an aggressive forechecking system. He was always overshadowed a bit by Jonsson and Aucoin, but he was one of our best players back in the day and with all the rookies around I could use a little nostalgia.
Screw nostalgia. (no offense King).

Get me Christopher Higgins and let this team begin to form it's own identify.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Crispy385

Send a message via AIM to Crispy385
Since we're talking to MTL, it'd be great if we could swing Laraque over here as well. Trouble is, Laraque's got a NTC he'd have to waive. For what it's worth, it's a full NTC this season, than the next two years on his contract, he gives the GM 12 teams (6 in each conference) he'd accept to a trade to before the season starts. I know he's considered small fish when addressing our problems, but the fact remains that we're a small team and it'd be nice having someone like him to look after our kids. And unlike FrankenFritz, Georges is a halfway decent power forward and can actually play the game when its not yet time to drop the gloves.

Crispy385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 02:28 PM
IslesFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 385 View Post
Since we're talking to MTL, it'd be great if we could swing Laraque over here as well. Trouble is, Laraque's got a NTC he'd have to waive. For what it's worth, it's a full NTC this season, than the next two years on his contract, he gives the GM 12 teams (6 in each conference) he'd accept to a trade to before the season starts. I know he's considered small fish when addressing our problems, but the fact remains that we're a small team and it'd be nice having someone like him to look after our kids. And unlike FrankenFritz, Georges is a halfway decent power forward and can actually play the game when its not yet time to drop the gloves.
You really don't want LaRaque here. He is a fighter who is losing his edge who provides LITERALLY nothing else on the ice. No need to spend 1.5 million per on him.

IslesFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 02:29 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubaryk11 View Post
for about 2 years now i have thought we should have targeted Ossi Vannanen, he would be a pretty good pick up with size and some skill likes to throw the body, would like for him to be with us....Id kill for Davison back over Hillen
I'll be a little upset if we don't claim Ossi. Our complete lack of depth right now screams (as much as a last place team really can scream for an acquisition) for it and a slight upgrade in size can't hurt.

We need Davison back for his ability to score from his own goal line. But yeah we've had a few wasted opportunities to secure bottom pairing guys at bottom pairing prices (edit - what I mean is quality bottom pairing guys, the kind that can potentially play a bigger role, not the ones that are barely hanging on to the 7th d-man position) and not enough opportunities to secure top end talent, period. Streit is practically a godsend for this franchise.

Our biggest problem to me right now is that we have to forecast how to replace any players moved at this time on defense. Moving Witt and adding a prospect and a 2nd (or 1st) practically REQUIRES picking up some more depth on defense to finish out this season.

Personally, I'm having a hard time moving Witt unless the overpayment is obvious but regardless I think this team is foolish if they don't add a serviceable defenseman for practically nothing to finish the string out.

Mitch

Last edited by mitchy22: 02-26-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old
02-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by 385 View Post

Per CBC...

Quote:
- Reports out of Montreal suggest veteran enforcer Georges Laraque is unhappy about his lack of playing time and may ask for a trade before March 4. Laraque, who played for the Pittsburgh Penguins last season, signed a three-year contract with a salary-cap hit of $1.5 million/year last summer. The deal also includes a full no-movement clause in the first year, so the 32-year-old Laraque could choose his destination if GM Bob Gainey decides to move him. In the final two years of the deal, the no-movement clause becomes limited to 18 teams--nine in each conference.
http://www.forecaster.ca/cbc/hockey/...=34&x_SEType=2

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 02:34 PM
mitchy22

I don't think I want to add Laraque at the price he's commanding.

That said, the few times I've seen him this season I actually think he cycles the puck rather well down low so I don't think he's worthless as a player on the 4th line (if they're keeping possession as far as I'm concerned they're doing their job on the 4th line.)

But in today's NHL for a non-playoff team $1.5 million is far too much for an enforcer/4th liner. A playoff team looking to get ready for the big battle may see it a bit differently (at least one that values the role a bit more than Montreal seems to at this point.)

Mitch

Old
02-26-2009, 02:40 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Is that a PW5? lol

I crack myself up

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Koobs11
aka Back door Johnny

Send a message via AIM to Koobs11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
I'll be a little upset if we don't claim Ossi. Our complete lack of depth right now screams (as much as a last place team really can scream for an acquisition) for it and a slight upgrade in size can't hurt.

We need Davison back for his ability to score from his own goal line. But yeah we've had a few wasted opportunities to secure bottom pairing guys at bottom pairing prices (edit - what I mean is quality bottom pairing guys, the kind that can potentially play a bigger role, not the ones that are barely hanging on to the 7th d-man position) and not enough opportunities to secure top end talent, period. Streit is practically a godsend for this franchise.

Our biggest problem to me right now is that we have to forecast how to replace any players moved at this time on defense. Moving Witt and adding a prospect and a 2nd (or 1st) practically REQUIRES picking up some more depth on defense to finish out this season.

Personally, I'm having a hard time moving Witt unless the overpayment is obvious but regardless I think this team is foolish if they don't add a serviceable defenseman for practically nothing to finish the string out.

Mitch
Agreed 100% mitch, im having a hard time accepting that Meyer may be a starter next season, its bad enough we get thrown around up front i cant stand watching the blue line midgets get thrown around, I said it 2 years ago we should have gone after Ossi and said it last year we should have kept Davison,

Id rather have those two as our bottom pairing because they are at least physical

I really dont think we should trade witt and hope for the sake of the team that we dont, we cant go into next year banking on Komi, and Sutton who barely plays half a season

Koobs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 02:49 PM
IslesNorway

With Vaananen on waivers it should actually give Snow a bit of leverage. He's ours if we put in a claim so that should make someone like Gervais easily expendable.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote