HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues may not be sellers this time at deadline

Old
02-26-2009, 04:05 PM
TerminatorBlue

vCash: 500
Blues may not be sellers this time at deadline

I didn't see it on here so I thought I would post it,3 games before the deadline should be interesting to see what the Blues do.The last part made me laugh.

Quote:
This time of year, the St. Louis Blues traditionally are poised for a sell-off to fuel the rebuilding movement.
This trade deadline promises to be different. The Blues climbed to .500 on Tuesday behind stingy defense and strong goaltending and just enough timely offense, and are within reach of ending a three-year playoff drought.

Though they're not liable to make a big splash at the trade deadline next Wednesday, at least they're a lot less likely to jettison talent.

"We're legitimately -- as of right now -- in it," team president John Davidson said before the Blues' 2-1 victory over the Coyotes Tuesday night. "So we've got to think playoffs. We've been patient, we've been building, we're going in the right direction, we need really good players, and we'll see where it goes."

New Blues ownership stockpiled first-round picks after taking over in 2006 while the franchise struggled on the ice, totaling five choices the first two seasons. Forwards Patrik Berglund ('06) and David Perron ('07) are already regulars and defenseman Erik Johnson, the first overall pick in 2006, was supposed to be a frontliner this year before wrecking his knee before the preseason.

Defenseman Alex Pietrangelo, a first-rounder in 2008, began this season with the Blues at age 18 before being sent back to his junior team. It's yet another sign that the Blues have plenty of young developing talent.

"The last two trade deadlines from our point of view we needed to gather assets," Davidson said. "Let's make deals, let's draft well.

"If you get picks and you don't draft well that's another story but we're pretty happy."

So happy, they'd consider using some of the kids as trade bait for a veteran, or at least entertain the notion.

"Are we ready to take a step where we trade two young kids for a really good player that may help us a lot?," Davidson said. "It depends on that guy's contract, how old he is. It depends on whether we're ready for that, or is it a year or two away yet.

"But we're at least in a position now as an organization that we can think about stuff like this."

The Blues have three games to go before the deadline, and are in a tight race for the final playoff spots in the Western Conference. Their 6-2-4 record in February hasn't made as much of a dent as the franchise would have thought, partly because all the overtime and shootout results reward the losers, too.

"As much as you say you're not looking at the standings, I think everyone has a look once in a while," said forward Jay McClement, whose short-handed goal was the go-ahead score Tuesday. "We've been getting points lately and haven't really made up much ground."

Veteran forward Keith Tkachuk is the most marketable player if the Blues do decide to deal. They've traded him before, getting a first-round pick and two other choices from the Thrashers in 2007 after Tkachuk waived a no-trade clause, and then re-signed him before the next season.

In recent years, the Blues also have peddled Bill Guerin and Mike Sillinger. Others who could be available this season, and without hurting the playoff drive much, are forward Dan Hinote and goalie Manny Legace, the latter currently with Peoria of the AHL after he lost his starting job to Chris Mason last month.

To make the playoffs with the roster the way it is, no doubt it'll be a high wire act. The victory over the Coyotes was the Blues' seventh straight one-goal decision, and they've got an overtime win, overtime loss and victory the last three games despite totaling four goals.

"I would just like once to have a game where I can maybe relax a little bit at the end," coach Andy Murray said. "I used to be a fairly good-looking guy, but not anymore. That's what my wife says."

Last edited by TerminatorBlue: 02-28-2009 at 10:44 PM.
TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 04:21 PM
stlweir

Don't be surprised if the Blues trade a "name" player at the deadline.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Guy Legend

I would not be shocked if the Blues trade a player that has a name.

Guy Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:11 PM
MissouriBlues2008

I expect Tkachuk to stay. I believe JD said they don't want to trade players for draft picks. They want players who will help now. So, that might narrow the suitors for Walt, especially since there are probably only a certain number of teams he will approve a trade to.

Walt could be traded, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he will be.

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:44 PM
stlweir

If the blues win saturday then odds are good that name player won't be dealt.

Old
02-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriBlues2008 View Post
I expect Tkachuk to stay. I believe JD said they don't want to trade players for draft picks. They want players who will help now. So, that might narrow the suitors for Walt, especially since there are probably only a certain number of teams he will approve a trade to.

Walt could be traded, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he will be.
If The Blues win the next 2 games, he most likely WON'T be traded. He wants to stay and lead this young team into the playoffs. If Chris Mason stays hot, who knows how much they might surprise "the experts".

Too bad they blew those games they had almost in the bank against Nashville and the others. They could really use those regulation wins now.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:43 PM
stlweir

I listened to Davidson late this afternoon and he has stayed in St Louis for meetings and to prepare for the trade dealine. The Blues are keeping abreast with what every team is looking for and what every team is offering which may change from day to day even hour to hour as the deadline approaches. If there is a deal out there that appeals to the Blues that will help the club they will make it. He mentioned that was why Walt's agent was in town to disscuss what would happen if a trade materialized involving Walt. When asked Davidson did not talk about a specific area of need. Once again he mentioned that they have accumulated alot of prospects who cannot possibly all play for the Blues so they have assets to deal for "the right deal". There is not meat on the burner but the grill is loaded with charcoal and doused with lighter fluid.

Last edited by stlweir: 02-27-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old
02-27-2009, 10:19 PM
woodr0w

Quote:
New Blues ownership stockpiled first-round picks after taking over in 2006 while the franchise struggled on the ice, totaling five choices the first two seasons. Forwards Patrik Berglund ('06) and David Perron ('07) are already regulars and defenseman Erik Johnson, the first overall pick in 2006, was supposed to be a frontliner this year before wrecking his knee before the preseason.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Illinois | St. Louis Blues | Andy Murray | Peoria | Thrashers | Bill Guerin | Coyotes | Keith Tkachuk | Manny Legace | Chris Mason | Erik Johnson | John Davidson | Mike Sillinger | David Perron | Jay McClement | Dan Hinote
Defenseman Alex Pietrangelo, a first-rounder in 2008, began this season with the Blues at age 18 before being sent back to his junior team. It's yet another sign that the Blues have plenty of young developing talent.

"The last two trade deadlines from our point of view we needed to gather assets," Davidson said. "Let's make deals, let's draft well.

Don't mean to knock you or anything, but this cracked me up.

woodr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
I listened to Davidson late this afternoon and he has stayed in St Louis for meetings and to prepare for the trade dealine. The Blues are keeping abreast with what every team is looking for and what every team is offering which may change from day to day even hour to hour as the deadline approaches. If there is a deal out there that appeals to the Blues that will help the club they will make it.
Nothing special about this. They do this every year. The only thing that's changed is that they're not going in with a "WE'RE SELLING" sign up on the front of Scottrade.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 02:05 AM
MissouriBlues2008

A good ESPN hockey article for once:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=lebrun_pierre

Old
02-28-2009, 05:54 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Another "Crazy" thought by Me...

Let's say we win tonight and Tuesday...We are probably going for the playoffs.

With that said...why can't we still trade Keith Tkachuk???

I don't want to hijack this thread with Keith Tkachoke in the playoffs past #'s.

But it should be factored in..if we are rolling without much help from KT and his past playoff numbers have been bad. AND KT has been known to take stupid penalties in the playoffs...How much help will KT really be again in the playoffs?? Why not still get a great return for KT and make a run in the playoffs with a HOT frickin goalie!?!?

Even you regular season lovers of KT...It's not like KT has been on complete fire this year...sure solid year of 18 goals...but even with 35 points in 60 games...KT has a -10! This is our last chance to get another return on KT. We can re-sign him in the offseason.

Remember, JD said he does not want draft picks back for KT in a trade this year...so we would be getting a young player that could, possibly, step right in for KT for the playoff race.

Plus, McDonald is going to be the leader in the playoffs for this young team now and in the coming years.

Last edited by TrustInJarmo*: 02-28-2009 at 06:18 PM.
TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post

I don't want to hijack this thread with Keith Tkachoke in the playoffs past #'s.

But it should be factored in..if we are rolling without much help from KT and his past playoff numbers have been bad. AND KT has been known to take stupid penalties in the playoffs...How much help will KT really be again in the playoffs?? Why not still get a great return for KT and make a run in the playoffs with a HOT frickin goalie!?!?

Even you regular season lovers of KT...It's not like KT has been on complete fire this year...sure solid year of 18 goals...but even with 35 points in 60 games...KT has a -10! This is our last chance to get another return on KT. We can re-sign him in the offseason.

Remember, JD said he does not want draft picks back for KT in a trade this year...so we would be getting a young player that could, possibly, step right in for KT for the playoff race.

Plus, McDonald is going to be the leader in the playoffs for this young team now and in the coming years.
He wont waive his NTC if we're in the playoff mix. Simple as that. He wouldn't have come to this team if he didn't want the playoffs here.

Randall Ritchey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 06:24 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
He wont waive his NTC if we're in the playoff mix. Simple as that. He wouldn't have come to this team if he didn't want the playoffs here.
Ok, say we lose the next 2 games and the Ducks/Bruins deal goes through and Chris is a Bruin...

KT than would waive it....the question becomes would you do it then?

And we would still be in the playoff hunt...even with back to back loses.

Old
02-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Ok, say we lose the next 2 games and the Ducks/Bruins deal goes through and Chris is a Bruin...

KT than would waive it....the question becomes would you do it then?

And we would still be in the playoff hunt...even with back to back loses.
No he wouldn't. He wants the playoffs in St. Louis. It's that simple. But it's irrelevant, because we're not going to lose the next two games.

Old
02-28-2009, 06:41 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
No he wouldn't. He wants the playoffs in St. Louis. It's that simple. But it's irrelevant, because we're not going to lose the next two games.
So it's irrelevant because there is NO WAY we are going to lose the next two games...

The same team we just barely beat by scoring only 2 fluke goals...one from the red line.

And than there is no doubt we beat the 3rd best team in the NHL and the Stanley Cup Champions.

Ok, I will bring this up again if we lose our next 2 games....otherwise I agree...Walt will probably not waive it.

Old
02-28-2009, 06:50 PM
concept*

If we lose the next two, players are gone.

If we win the next two and teams ahead of us also win one or two, I think players are gone.

If we win the next two and somehow all those teams ahead of us lose two in the meantime, players are gone, except we'll be getting back a bit more "now" return than any "future" return.

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 06:57 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept View Post
If we lose the next two, players are gone.

If we win the next two and teams ahead of us also win one or two, I think players are gone.

If we win the next two and somehow all those teams ahead of us lose two in the meantime, players are gone, except we'll be getting back a bit more "now" return than any "future" return.

Old
03-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Ace2008

Quote:

I don't see AMac leading anything...Oshie, Berglund, and Backes are the real leaders upfront especially Backes

but for now tkachuk is in the driver's seat...lets hope he's not driving a golf cart 2 months from now

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 06:16 PM
TPS

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...=tsn&type=lgns

Good read coming from Yahoo about the Blues becoming buyers at the trade deadline.

TPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 06:53 PM
MissouriBlues2008

Trading young guys for a veteran makes me nervous, even if the veteran is Pronger and has another year on his contract.

But I have faith that the Blues FO know what they are doing.

Maybe we'll trade a player whose name starts with a "P" for another player whose name starts with a "P".

Old
03-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriBlues2008 View Post
Trading young guys for a veteran makes me nervous, even if the veteran is Pronger and has another year on his contract.

But I have faith that the Blues FO know what they are doing.

Maybe we'll trade a player whose name starts with a "P" for another player whose name starts with a "P".
Palushaj for Pavelec??

Old
03-01-2009, 11:59 PM
MissouriBlues2008

Anybody posted this yet?
About Walt:
Quote:
I'm told he's staying put
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-...taying/5/19712

Old
03-02-2009, 01:21 AM
concept*

Honestly, I think that's bad.

I think there's simply too much in the way of us making the playoffs this year. We can say, "Oh, we're 3 points out," all we want, but there are still four teams ahead or tied with us, and that's just to the 8 spot. If we even made the playoffs, how well do you think this roster would do? Does losing in four or five games in the first round justify not getting back a good return for next year?

I don't see why getting the young guys playoff experience can't wait until next year when we might actually have a formidable roster. I'd much rather auction off our non-returning assets or assets we don't want/need to give us assets to move at the draft or use immediately for next year.

Simply put, I think we're much better off making a push for the playoffs next year instead of hanging on to our assets to make a playoff push with an overall junky roster. Despite the recent success, I still don't see us making the playoffs, and, even if we did, I don't see us moving past the first round.

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 02:09 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Oh good grief! The team is playing every night with passion and enthusiasm. The young veterans (Boyes, Backes, McClement, Jackman, etc) are learning that they can get it done. The rookies are starting to understand what the NHL is about. The veterans (Tkachuk, McDonald, maybe McKee) are helping to cement the team. Don't look now, but they've been on a blistering pace since the all-star game.

Sure, if they squeak in it will be a tough match-up. But anything can happen. If they continue to play this well, get goal-tending at this level....the Blues could be competitive in any series. And if they can...they could win a series. At what point do you think one more prospect outweighs this irreplicable experience?

Even if they fall short, this run and the pressure of it....and the winning that the team is learning is far more valuable than one more prospect. They can't all play on the roster. But its getting to be more and more likely that they'll pull it off. Can't people just enjoy this amazing effort the team is giving? Its your team, man! Don't look now, but those guys are pouring their hearts into this final stretch. I think that effort demands at least enough respect to allow Tkachuk to stick around and see if they can get it done.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 02:29 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept View Post
Honestly, I think that's bad.

I think there's simply too much in the way of us making the playoffs this year. We can say, "Oh, we're 3 points out," all we want, but there are still four teams ahead or tied with us, and that's just to the 8 spot. If we even made the playoffs, how well do you think this roster would do? Does losing in four or five games in the first round justify not getting back a good return for next year?

I don't see why getting the young guys playoff experience can't wait until next year when we might actually have a formidable roster. I'd much rather auction off our non-returning assets or assets we don't want/need to give us assets to move at the draft or use immediately for next year.

Simply put, I think we're much better off making a push for the playoffs next year instead of hanging on to our assets to make a playoff push with an overall junky roster. Despite the recent success, I still don't see us making the playoffs, and, even if we did, I don't see us moving past the first round.
This all assumes that what the Blues get for Tkachuk is worth it. And do not be mistaken, he's all you're talking about when you say "assets." If you think anybody wants McKee or Hinote for more than late picks and horrible contracts coming back to the Blues, you're dreaming.
If I were a playoff-bound team, I would not give up the ubiquitous first-round-pick for Tkachuk. He is a good all-around player who plays tough, can win faceoffs, and scores dirty goals. However, his playoff production is bad enough that he's not an ideal rental. And his salary, even for the remaining games, is still a consideration for most teams.

If you think he's worth a hotsh** prospect or a first rounder, I don't know what to tell you. But imagine for a moment that the best offer you get is a decent prospect OR a 2nd rounder, maybe a later pick, and a salary dump.

Is a second round pick from a team that's going to finish in the top ten likely to contribute significantly to the team in the next, oh, let's say six years? Draft picks are nice. But the team is past the stockpiling point and on to exploring its needs. A pick in the latter half of the second round just doesn't get me excited at the potential cost of bowing out of the playoff race 20 games early.

Consider the ages of guys like Oshie and Polak and look at when all of the younger guys become restricted free agents. Consider the salaries those guys are likely to command. Look at how long Boyes and McDonald are under contract. Unless this is a legendarily deep draft, a second round pick can eat sh** as far as I'm concerned right now. I love the way Jarmo and the rest of the staff drafts, but the future is on the ice for the Blues right now.
The intensity of the games while the team is in the playoff race are an experience you don't trade for low percentage picks and prospects who won't be ready for five years. Hell, just the experience of playing for a winning NHL team will pay large dividends.

I am not in any way saying trade the farm or anything like that. But the chance that the Blues make the playoffs this year is probably better than even an early 2nd rounder contributing during the ideal window the Blues are reaching. Maybe I undervalue the potential of a 2nd rounder in this draft, maybe you underestimate the Blues' chances of making the playoffs.

So what I am saying is that the Blues would need a truly excellent package for Tkachuk to make it worth their while. And a truly excellent package is a top level prospect, a very good prospect who is NHL-ready, a good youngster who is in the NHL, or some combination of those. Otherwise, they're spinning their wheels much more than if they stand pat and gun for the playoffs. And the assumption that they can swing such a package is suspect at best.

To summarize: the Blues don't benefit from stockpiling depth picks like they did a couple years ago. It's quality over quantity now. And if you can't get quality, you don't throw your arms in the air, tell your players they can't make the playoffs when they clearly CAN, then bend over and take the quantity anyway.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote