HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Streit 1st to Ottawa Spezza, Smith

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2009, 06:36 PM
  #151
EucaLEAFtys
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In the Underdark
Posts: 2,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Do you believe that a 1st round with 2 injured wingers against the 2nd best team in the conference on a team in a death spiral is more important than 8 points in 5 games in the 3rd round against Buffalo to put Ottawa into the Finals?
Perhaps the post you responded to was a little too complex for you to understand. The example I used was only one of several PO series in which Jason Spezza failed to "rise to the occasion".

The overriding point of my posts is that Spezza's career PO pts stat is grossly mis-leading in the way that it was presented. And you, sir/madam, have helped me prove my point. The use of a player's career PPG average (regardless of it being pre-, post-, or regular season) is flawed on far too many levels to have any validity whatsoever. What this stat indicates is a player's scoring consistency which cleverly covers up many inherent inaccuracies in that particular statistic, such as iwhether or not a player is a streaky scorer. The fact that Jason Spezza scored 8 pts. in 5 games against Buffalo that year to vault the Sens into the SCF proves that he was and still is a very streaky scorer at the best of times and a veritable ghost at other times.

And this is one reason why I prefer not to use them. The previously posted stats were flawed as they failed to show Spezza's scoring inconsistencies.

Stats can be skewed to prove anything, and therefore are as unreliable as a 3-legged mule.

That Is All.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 06:42 PM
  #152
Isles_Guy*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: long Island
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
LoL. This is why you're not an NHL GM.

You're nuts.
ottowa is not going anywhere, they are basically a one line team with no goaltentender and holes on defense with a very limited prospect base. After Brian Lee and Karlssons, you really have no major prospects to trade.... 47% of your teams goals have been scored by 3 players on one line and I really believe this team is top heavy. and next year your defense will be Phillips and Volchenkov campoli and kids

I may be nuts as you say but Spezza Alfy and Heatley cant do it alone. you do reallize your team has exactly one more goal than my Islanders or youd be last in the League.... You my friend do not see reality

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 09:21 PM
  #153
mitchy22
Registered User
 
mitchy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
I don't remember who it was directed at, though, to be honest, I don't think the islanders are "forced" to do anything to make this deal. If offered it straight up, I think the Islanders would take it. For the reasons I cited above. It's just somewhat stupid for the Sens.
I also cited it was stupid for the Sens so I'm glad we're in agreement. The problem with the entire thread is that it's ALSO stupid for the Islanders for the reasons I also cited.

The Sens would want Streit without losing Spezza.

The Islanders wouldn't add Spezza at the loss of Streit AND their 1st rounder as Smith adds nothing to the Islanders in this scenario and there's simply no reason for the Islanders to take this route at this time.

The trade goes in two directions at the same time for the Senators.
The trade goes in the opposite direction the Islanders seem to be taking or SHOULD be taking at this time.

...and just to add the Islanders offered Spezza for their 1st straight up highly consider it but if they turn it down it won't be because the value wasn't right...they'll turn it down because they're going to use their pick and take their time developing through the draft and hope to add UFAs as their core matures and/or their new building gets finalized.

,
Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 10:31 PM
  #154
Isles_Guy*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: long Island
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
I also cited it was stupid for the Sens so I'm glad we're in agreement. The problem with the entire thread is that it's ALSO stupid for the Islanders for the reasons I also cited.

The Sens would want Streit without losing Spezza.

The Islanders wouldn't add Spezza at the loss of Streit AND their 1st rounder as Smith adds nothing to the Islanders in this scenario and there's simply no reason for the Islanders to take this route at this time.

The trade goes in two directions at the same time for the Senators.
The trade goes in the opposite direction the Islanders seem to be taking or SHOULD be taking at this time.

...and just to add the Islanders if offered Spezza for their 1st straight up would not highly consider it but if they turn it down it won't be because the value wasn't right...they'll turn it down because they're going to use their pick and take their time developing through the draft and hope to add UFAs as their core matures and/or their new building gets finalized.

,
Mitch
fixed it for you,

they would not simply because with the dearth of NHL ready talent on the roster it would take 3 to 4 seasons for the team to be legitimately competitive and with the Islanders bleeding money (it is said Wang is losing 10-20M per season waiting for the Hub to be built) why would they waste spezza's peak productive years merely to be a better team that likely would be no better than a playoff bubble team and also as a result hurt their future draft prospects. because no matter who is drafted the Isles would probably be a lottery team again as they mature.

there is an intrinsic value for time in this equation that many are overlooking, the fact is that the Isles need time to grow anyway, adding core pieces through the draft as opposed through trades serves them better, since careers are finite


Last edited by Isles_Guy*: 02-28-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 10:44 PM
  #155
grabo84
Registered User
 
grabo84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
fixed it for you,

they would not simply because with the dearth of NHL ready talent on the roster it would take 3 to 4 seasons for the team to be legitimately competitive and with the Islanders bleeding money (it is said Wang is losing 10-20M per season waiting for the Hub to be built) why would they waste spezza's peak productive years merely to be a better team that likely would be no better than a playoff bubble team and also as a result hurt their future draft prospects. because no matter who is drafted the Isles would probably be a lottery team again as they mature.

there is an intrinsic value for time in this equation that many are overlooking, the fact is that the Isles need time to grow anyway, adding core pieces through the draft as opposed through trades serves them better, since careers are finite
If Spezza was 30 or so I might agree, but he's only 25. He's a career ppg player who'll just be hitting his prime by the time the Isles are ready to compete. This would be a great deal for them, and erases the risk of drafting a bust with your number 1 or 2 pick. I would trade the Leafs first round pick for Spezza in a heartbeat, even if we were in the Isles position.

grabo84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:56 PM
  #156
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
If Spezza was 30 or so I might agree, but he's only 25. He's a career ppg player who'll just be hitting his prime by the time the Isles are ready to compete. This would be a great deal for them, and erases the risk of drafting a bust with your number 1 or 2 pick. I would trade the Leafs first round pick for Spezza in a heartbeat, even if we were in the Isles position.
Fortunately, and I never thought I would be saying this, the Leafs are winning right now, very much removing them from that position :p

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 05:20 AM
  #157
mitchy22
Registered User
 
mitchy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
fixed it for you,

they would not simply because with the dearth of NHL ready talent on the roster it would take 3 to 4 seasons for the team to be legitimately competitive and with the Islanders bleeding money (it is said Wang is losing 10-20M per season waiting for the Hub to be built) why would they waste spezza's peak productive years merely to be a better team that likely would be no better than a playoff bubble team and also as a result hurt their future draft prospects. because no matter who is drafted the Isles would probably be a lottery team again as they mature.

there is an intrinsic value for time in this equation that many are overlooking, the fact is that the Isles need time to grow anyway, adding core pieces through the draft as opposed through trades serves them better, since careers are finite
They'd highly consider it that isn't to say they'd do it. I even mentioned why they may turn it down. The post didn't really need "fixing." Read the rest of my posts in this thread I've pretty much put 100 nails in the coffin you're picking the hammer up and looking at. But considering Spezza's age it's not beyond reason that the Islanders would consider it.

I've mentioned the time factor. I'm mentioned the money factor. I've mentioned just about everything and well now I'll probably leave this as my last remark in this thread and hope it dies.

,
Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.