HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jordan Staal + for Brad Boyes

Old
02-26-2009, 09:37 PM
CCBC

vCash: 500
No thanks.

Boyes' contract is pretty team-friendly, in my opinion. Our only true scorer on the team currently. The Blues need more players like Brad. They're alright on centers.

CCBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:40 PM
CCBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
Yes, some are playing wing. But all are capable of playing center.
Your comment on McClement. A potatohead? WTF does that even mean?

Oh my, almost as good as "Woyrika, Woyrika!"

Old
02-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBC View Post
No thanks.

Boyes' contract is pretty team-friendly, in my opinion. Our only true scorer on the team currently. The Blues need more players like Brad. They're alright on centers.
Ill agree with this, I dont think the value is too far off, but there isnt much of a reason for the Blues to do this.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Staal + Malkin for

Boyes + Berglund ?

OK, we will throw in Jay McKee to even it out.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Probie View Post
they're equally over rated
Could someone explain how Tkachuk is overrated around these parts.

500 goals 500 assists 1000 points

and all everyone ever wants to say about him are lame fat jokes that haven't been relevant in years.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:56 PM
mikeod1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post

and all everyone ever wants to say about him are lame fat jokes that haven't been relevant in years.

Tkachuk's style of play is fading fast in the new NHL...

When I heard rumors of the Penguins being interested in him my heart sunk because I can't see him skating at the same pace as Crosby or Malkin...

If you love him in St Louis, keep him around

mikeod1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod1986 View Post
Tkachuk's style of play is fading fast in the new NHL...

When I heard rumors of the Penguins being interested in him my heart sunk because I can't see him skating at the same pace as Crosby or Malkin...

If you love him in St Louis, keep him around
Really? Tell that to other players who play "his style of play." Drive hard to the net and making a living there. Who else does that now who is arguably the best at it. Hint; he plays for our rivals.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:11 PM
OneSharpMarble

Blues don't have enough fans here to veto this one down. It's gonna get made into law.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Free Probie

Quote:

To quote a bull durham line...
million dollar player with a 10 cent head. Bring it Meat.

Free Probie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:50 PM
CCBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Blues don't have enough fans here to veto this one down. It's gonna get made into law.
You'd be surprised.

Old
02-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBC View Post
You'd be surprised.

Indeed

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Checker*

Quote:
To quote a bull durham line...
million dollar player with a 10 cent head. Bring it Meat.
Right. He does take stupid penalties and can be prone to going cold for streaks...

But again, his statistics indicate a player who has played at a pretty high level for the majority of his career. The fact that people tend to harp on the negatives of his game rather than consider the concrete, impressive stats he's managed to put up is testament to him being underrated here. Some will enver get past him being less than mature when he was very young or him being overweight in camp once upon a time.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 08:17 AM
holzy17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
Why would the Blues trade for a center when that is one of their strongest points as well?

Andy McDonald
Brad Boyes
Patrik Berglund
T.J. Oshie
Keith Tkachuk
Alex Steen
Jay McClement
Lars Eller*

All can/have played center. Staal would add to that list and complicate things further.
We'd lose our top goal scorer and best winger.

Makes sense for Pittsburgh.
Not so much for St. Louis.

*If he makes the team next season.
You just gave a list of players... of which basically non play center ( taking a faceoff when the real center is waived doesnt count). And pure center wise Staal would fall directly behind McDonald.

holzy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Free Probie

Quote:
Right. He does take stupid penalties and can be prone to going cold for streaks...

But again, his statistics indicate a player who has played at a pretty high level for the majority of his career. The fact that people tend to harp on the negatives of his game rather than consider the concrete, impressive stats he's managed to put up is testament to him being underrated here. Some will enver get past him being less than mature when he was very young or him being overweight in camp once upon a time.
The other knock is he has never won anything outside of the 96 world cup where he had 44 penalty minutes. As a silver medalist in 2002 he had 2 pts in 5 games. Statistically he lacks production in the playoffs and has never lead a team anywhere. Nice career but not a "great player"

Free Probie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:41 AM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by holzy17 View Post
You just gave a list of players... of which basically non play center ( taking a faceoff when the real center is waived doesnt count). And pure center wise Staal would fall directly behind McDonald.
Sorry, but I'd take Berglund ahead of Staal every day and twice on Sundays.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:44 AM
jmwc95

Quote:
The other knock is he has never won anything outside of the 96 world cup where he had 44 penalty minutes. As a silver medalist in 2002 he had 2 pts in 5 games. Statistically he lacks production in the playoffs and has never lead a team anywhere. Nice career but not a "great player"
I'm a Blues fan, and I agree that Tkachuk is overrated as well. Tkachuk did most of his damage before he was 25, and since new players coming into the leauge started catching up to him in size and strength, he hasn't been dominant like he first was when he came into the league.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace88 View Post
McClement is a potatohead...
Spoken like someone who hasn't seen Jay McClement play Game One this year...

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:36 AM
milieu bluez

I would like to have Staal as a Blues fan.

However IMO, I think besides Staals tenacious back checking; He and Bergland are very similar in their puck protection offense. Although both have a great release, I'd like to keep the current trigger man (Boyes) at this point.

milieu bluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Berglund and McClement are centers, and have been since they were bantams, so I don't know what you think you're trying to say here...

Oshie's played more center than wing in his career, too.

Maybe if you took the time to actually learn something about the Blues' organization before you started flappin' yer gums...

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:15 AM
mmitchell19

Quote:

And when looking at his stats this year, the contenders looking at Tkachuk to fill the "big-body, power-play, 2nd-line winger" role may not realize that Walt has played more than half of the season out of position at center. He did it for most of last season, too.

I, for one, wish that we'd hang on to Walt and Boyes and see what we can do with a more intact forward lineup.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:27 AM
EL Bandito

Send a message via MSN to EL Bandito
Quote:
Spoken like someone that doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. Sorry, but Berglund is going to be a better player and has been a better player than Staal this entire season.

Berglund has played in 6 less games, yet has 5 more pts. He also has already worked himself onto the PK unit (yes I know Staal is a very good defensive C), leads the Blues with a +15 rating compared to Staal's -11 +/- AND Berglund averages 5 minutes less of ice time a game than Staal. Just on the surface it would appear that Berglund is outplaying Staal this season as a 1st year NA rookie compared to the 3rd year Staal. Now actually watching these 2 play the game and your comment is laughable.

The only way St. Louis looks at bringing in Staal at this point is that they would feel completely comfortable with Mcdonald on the wing which is where he has been since his return and has looked completely fine at.

Pittsburgh would have to add something significant along with Staal to get the Blues to consider moving Boyes for him. Honestly out of your recent Top 20 Prospects list, I think Caputi would quite possibly be one of the only prospects that would have a real future with the Blues. I'm not saying that there are no good prospects of that group, I just don't see any that I'd see the Blues seeing as having higher upsides than our current top prospects and young snipers aren't moved to gather more mid-tier prospects. If we took a dman in the deal, I'm quite sure that the Blues would want that player to be a top 6 dman next year and young. With Brewer, Jackman, Johnson, Polak, Colaiacovo easily the top 5 and Pietrangelo, Junland and Cole on the way, I don't see Goligoski even cracking our top 6 next year. The only way he would even crack out top 6 is if the Blues manage to move Mckee and decide to give Pietrangelo another year of development AND Junland isn't ready (of which he's very close to being). So maybe Goligoski would be of some interest. Tyler Kennedy is somewhat interesting but we are up to our necks in 3rd liners. Letang I'm sure would get it done but I don't see that happening. That probably leaves your 09 1st rounder as one of the Blues biggest interests. As said before, I guess Satan or somebody with some salary would have to come back the other way to make the deal work.

I don't see alot of options and the Blues would really have to like Staal to move forward with any sort of deal. I personally like Staal and think he could be a Rod Brind'Amour sort of player that really helps a team drive towards a cup as he develops but the Blues already have a great thing in Brad Boyes who is signed to a very reasonable $4mil/yr deal for the next 4 years, and they aren't on a perpetual "trade our established players for developing youth" strategy any longer. We're now only 3 pts out of a playoff spot this year, all the while dealing with severe injuries. EJ is out the entire year. Kariya played 11 games (15pts) and is out the year. Brewer played 1/3 of the year and looks to be out the year. Mcdonald just came back after missing nearly half the season. As well as others. This team could quite easily be in the playoffs right now without these issues but that's not the way it turned out. But as it stands, we're scratching at the back door trying to get in. Please tell me how trading Boyes at this point makes any sense without Pittsburgh seriously overpaying.

EL Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:33 AM
collapsethelung

I don't do it if i'm the Blues.

collapsethelung is offline   Reply With Quote