HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Questions about Hamhuis

Old
01-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Bruins78

vCash: 500
Questions about Hamhuis

TheFourthperiod.com reporting Nashville may be shopping Dan Hamhuis.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nas090127.html

As a Bruins fan I don't get to see Nashville to often but always kind of like Hamhuis. It seemed liked he was going to be a very good player in this league after his first couple seasons but sounds like he may have topped off a bit. I know his points dropped but I'm sure that can be attributed to Suter, Weber and while he was there, Zidlicky, taking a lot of pp minutes.

Just curious if you can share some insights into his game, from what I have seen/read I kind of think of him as a guy who does everything pretty well (plays physical, solid offensive/defensively, good skater). Is this accurate? How has he played this year? Not sure if the B's are a good fit, the article states that you guys would want inexpensive young forwards...something around Martin Karsums + perhaps? He is a 22 year old point-per-game player in the AHL and a former second round pick and plays pretty physical. Has a stocky, short build...good hands and instincts around the net.

Thanks!

Bruins78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Terrible offer. Try again.

Do you honestly believe that a 26 year-old, 2 million dollar cap hit, two-way, no.2 defensemen is worth a 22 year old AHLer?

Last edited by Enoch: 01-28-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Bruins78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Terrible offer. Try again.
I said Karsums +, no idea what it would take...was mostly curious about how he has played this year.

Old
01-28-2009, 12:11 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
it would be sad to lose Hamhuis, however we could get a really good return on him.

I miss the hipcheck.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 12:18 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins78 View Post
I said Karsums +, no idea what it would take...was mostly curious about how he has played this year.
Hamhuis hasn't had his best season, but is still our #3 defenseman and would probably be a #1 on some teams (obviously not Boston).

I really, really, really, REALLY like Vladimir Sobotka. As crazy as this may sound, is there any chance we could get BOTH? It would really help us out next season...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Bruins78

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Hamhuis hasn't had his best season, but is still our #3 defenseman and would probably be a #1 on some teams (obviously not Boston).

I really, really, really, REALLY like Vladimir Sobotka. As crazy as this may sound, is there any chance we could get BOTH? It would really help us out next season...
Its possible, I guess it really depends on if our front office really likes Hamhuis. I always Hamhuis but have not heard as much about him this year or last after it seemed like he may be on his way to being an elite d-man. Of course, I don't get to see Nashville very often. Sobotka is a fan favorite but its hard to read what kind of player he will be. He has been a pt/gm guy as a 21 year old in the AHL and plays the agitator role very well....also for a little guy he hits everything. He has struggled a bit defensively this year and has not done too much offensively, but he has been playing on the 4th line mostly with Shawn Thornton and Nokelainen and has been the best player on the ice when he has been down in Providence according to many posters who attend games regularly. This is my favorite Sobotka moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxiBaHF3J-0

Old
01-29-2009, 05:45 AM
bassassin

What about a trade with Tampa for Hamhuis, we need another decent 2/3 dman and we have a lot of forwards, which the article claims you would be wanting back. So I'm going to assume that any return would have to be similar to Hamhuis $2.25 million salary (correct me if I'm wrong, I am aware that Nashville have an internal cap I just dont know what it is).

So would something based around Jokinen, who is an RFA at the end of the season, and currently has a salary of $1.875 million and in 3 full seasons has always scored at 0.5ppg plus, but this year is on for a down year (mainly because he sits on our 3rd line, and doesnt get PP time) so that could be used to lower the cost of his next contract.

Jones($0.51 million) a projected 2nd/3rd line centre and PPQB (a right shot and plays as Norfolks top PPQB), or maybe Smolenak($0.515 million), projected to be second line winger, who even if he doesnt reach that potential would do well on energy lines, as he is a big player that likes to hit and drives the net (looked really promising in the time he was called up)

So yeah something like Jokinen, Jones/Smolenak and a 3rd, for Hamhuis. I know it is more of a quantity for quality deal, but it is difficult to put anything together given that all the current top 6 players Tampa has are too pricey for the $2.25 million or thereabouts restriction.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 06:17 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
What about a trade with Tampa for Hamhuis, we need another decent 2/3 dman and we have a lot of forwards, which the article claims you would be wanting back. So I'm going to assume that any return would have to be similar to Hamhuis $2.25 million salary (correct me if I'm wrong, I am aware that Nashville have an internal cap I just dont know what it is).

So would something based around Jokinen, who is an RFA at the end of the season, and currently has a salary of $1.875 million and in 3 full seasons has always scored at 0.5ppg plus, but this year is on for a down year (mainly because he sits on our 3rd line, and doesnt get PP time) so that could be used to lower the cost of his next contract.

Jones($0.51 million) a projected 2nd/3rd line centre and PPQB (a right shot and plays as Norfolks top PPQB), or maybe Smolenak($0.515 million), projected to be second line winger, who even if he doesnt reach that potential would do well on energy lines, as he is a big player that likes to hit and drives the net (looked really promising in the time he was called up)

So yeah something like Jokinen, Jones/Smolenak and a 3rd, for Hamhuis. I know it is more of a quantity for quality deal, but it is difficult to put anything together given that all the current top 6 players Tampa has are too pricey for the $2.25 million or thereabouts restriction.
Jokinen, who cleared waivers earlier this season, has no value whatsoever. Jones is a center, which is something already working against statistically better prospects on OUR farm club.

Gonna have to heartily pass on this one.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 06:44 AM
John Belushi

vCash: 50
As a Canuck fan, I'd certainly like to see Hamhuis return to BC. What would it take? I know Nashville needs offense, but with this season basically becoming a write-off for the franchise I wonder if they'd take other assets as well.

Would Raymond and a 2nd suffice?

John Belushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 07:39 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Jokinen, who cleared waivers earlier this season, has no value whatsoever. Jones is a center, which is something already working against statistically better prospects on OUR farm club.

Gonna have to heartily pass on this one.
Just because someone passes waivers doesnt mean they have no value. Schneider passed through waivers, did that make him worthless? No he still got traded, all it meant is that they had to take some contract back in return.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:19 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Just because someone passes waivers doesnt mean they have no value. Schneider passed through waivers, did that make him worthless? No he still got traded, all it meant is that they had to take some contract back in return.
Actually, Yeah it does.

you've never seen someone clear waivers then get traded for a player of Hamhuis's caliber.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:23 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Did you see what they got back? Chad Painchaud, Ken Klee, and Brad Larsen. Not exactly a high-quality return, and I suspect Jokinen, who hasn't scored a goal since mid-November, would get even less.

Old
01-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Hamhuis is my favorite player in the league. I would hate to see him leave Nashville but I think if Nashville is shopping him a number of teams could be interested.

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 01:29 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Totally hypothetical, as I'm just bouncing things around in my head, but I've got a bit of a wild one, without much real precedent. The value could actually be hugely leaning in either direction, and I wouldn't know. I really don't have anything to go off of. Also, keep in mind I don't really follow he Preds, and wouldn't know what their plans are regarding the future. Having said all of that, what would be your reaction to acquiring Phoenix's first round pick(currently sixth, overall) for Dan Hamhuis and Jon Blum? Likely giving you two picks inside of the top ten. Off the wall, I know. I just wonder about the value. I know Blum must have increased his stock quite a bit since being drafted late in the first round, so I might be way off, I don't know.

Remember, I'm totally ignorant concerning the Preds current situation(other than if the draft were tommorrow, they'd pick ninth), or what their plans may be in the future. On paper, they look like a team that might be interested in re-building a little bit. Only reason I floated this ridiculous question out there.

I'll duck and cover now.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 01:37 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Totally hypothetical, as I'm just bouncing things around in my head, but I've got a bit of a wild one, without much real precedent. The value could actually be hugely leaning in either direction, and I wouldn't know. I really don't have anything to go off of. Also, keep in mind I don't really follow he Preds, and wouldn't know what their plans are regarding the future. Having said all of that, what would be your reaction to acquiring Phoenix's first round pick(currently sixth, overall) for Dan Hamhuis and Jon Blum? Likely giving you two picks inside of the top ten. Off the wall, I know. I just wonder about the value. I know Blum must have increased his stock quite a bit since being drafted late in the first round, so I might be way off, I don't know.

Remember, I'm totally ignorant concerning the Preds current situation(other than if the draft were tommorrow, they'd pick ninth), or what their plans may be in the future. On paper, they look like a team that might be interested in re-building a little bit. Only reason I floated this ridiculous question out there.

I'll duck and cover now.
With all the prefaces to your proposal I find it ethically impossible to flame you for this.

The short answer is "no."

Old
02-18-2009, 01:51 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
With all the prefaces to your proposal I find it ethically impossible to flame you for this.

The short answer is "no."
Appreciated. I just don't know what a top ten pick is worth, player-wise. Generally, when a top ten pick is dealt, there is another first rounder included in the return. Phoenix is in a difficult position. There are indications from Derek Morris, as well as our General Manager Don Maloney, that we are not able to offer any multi-year, multi-million dollar contracts. Which pretty much means Derek Morris is gone at the deadline. Having lost Ballard last summer, being without the ability to add a top three defenseman via free-agency, and having no prospects ready to step into that role, we're going to have to trade for one somehow. We really have nothing we can afford to pull from to get a deal done, either. We must compete sooner than later, or we'll lose our team. Therefore, dealing cheap young roster talent is not an option. To me, moving the pick makes more sense. Whatever kid we take will be a few years away from making an impact. I was just looking around at teams that might be interested in a top ten pick, that have depth on D. I thought the Preds might fit the bill.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 02:32 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Appreciated. I just don't know what a top ten pick is worth, player-wise. Generally, when a top ten pick is dealt, there is another first rounder included in the return. Phoenix is in a difficult position. There are indications from Derek Morris, as well as our General Manager Don Maloney, that we are not able to offer any multi-year, multi-million dollar contracts. Which pretty much means Derek Morris is gone at the deadline. Having lost Ballard last summer, being without the ability to add a top three defenseman via free-agency, and having no prospects ready to step into that role, we're going to have to trade for one somehow. We really have nothing we can afford to pull from to get a deal done, either. We must compete sooner than later, or we'll lose our team. Therefore, dealing cheap young roster talent is not an option. To me, moving the pick makes more sense. Whatever kid we take will be a few years away from making an impact. I was just looking around at teams that might be interested in a top ten pick, that have depth on D. I thought the Preds might fit the bill.
Oh, don't get me wrong, we've got some depth that we can afford to move a defenseman... just not Blum. He's the best we've got.

If you want Franson, though, make an offer.

Old
02-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

I'd give you Hamhuis straight up for that 1st rounder. =)

I'm assuming that Phoenix has no interest in dealing Doan or Jokinen and the kids are untouchable (God I wish we would have taken Boedker instead of trading down!)

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 03:14 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
I'd give you Hamhuis straight up for that 1st rounder. =)

I'm assuming that Phoenix has no interest in dealing Doan or Jokinen and the kids are untouchable (God I wish we would have taken Boedker instead of trading down!)
Boedker's about two inches and twenty pounds smaller than Wilson, and we need a big-bodied scoring threat up the middle that's willing to use his body, both in the short and long term.

It was the right pick.

Old
02-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

Or we could have actually traded up and taken both..

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:39 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
how?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 12:54 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Or we could have given away every single asset we had and gotten all of the top ten picks! ZOMG!

Try to be a little more realistic, eh?

Old
02-25-2009, 10:44 AM
SpezDispenser

What kind of game does Hamhuis typically play? I've tried to watch him on Center Ice, but I still can't really get a read on him.

Physical? Puck possession?

Anyone have a little bio on him from watching him first hand in Nashville? Thanks in advance.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

A two way defenseman, he has well above average passing skills, with a slightly above average shot for a defenseman. He moves well, and his best attribute is his positioning. He thinks the game well. He is not a bruiser along the boards consistently, but he will throw a thunderous hip check in big spots. His physicality is mostly via hip check, in the open ice he is more apt to use a poke check then his body. Excellent on the pk. He could score 35-40 points each year if given more powerplay time. Trotz likes to save him for the PK, but he has started to give him more PP time on the second unit with Ville being a perma-scratch. A true number 2 defenseman on an elite team, but he is capable of serving as a number 1. Keep in mind when looking at statistics the lack of powerplay time the past two-to-three seasons is due to having some of the best offensive defensemen in the game on our blueline (Kimmo, Zidlicky, etc.)

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 11:08 AM
SpezDispenser

Thanks Enoch.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote