HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

CBJ/Pit - Offseason trade and moves

Old
02-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Snow Miser

vCash: 500
CBJ/Pit - Offseason trade and moves

Columbus needs a center and a power play QB while Pittsburgh needs wingers. Consequently, here is a trade and some off season moves that I think can help both teams:

To Columbus: Whitney, Staal, and a 3rd
To Pittsburgh: Filatov, Mayorov, and a 1st

After this, Columbus then can go after the Sedins for about 5.25 million each. Their line-up would then look like this:

Nash (5.4) - Staal (4) - Huselius (4.75)
D. Sedin (5.25 est) - H. Sedin (5.25 est) - Umberger (3.75)
Chimera (1.875) - Brassard (1.25) - Voracek (1.27)
Murray (.625) - Malhotra (1.5 est) - Derek Dorsett (.56)

Hejda (2) - Commodore (3.75)
Whitney (4) - Tyutin (2.84)
Russell (.74) - Methot (.75 est)

Leclaire (3.8)
Mason (.9)

Total = 54.26
Assuming the cap stays around 56.5, that gives them a little over 2 million to fill out their roster with extras. This would give them 3 solid lines to roll and enough talent to compete with anybody. Since their top two left wings would be Nash and Sedin, I don't think they would miss Filatov or Mayorov that much.

For the Pens:

Filatov (2.25) - Crosby (8.7) - XXX
Caputi (.833) - Malkin (8.7) - Sykora (2.5 est)
Cooke (1.2) - Talbot (1.05) - Kennedy (1.0 est)
Mayorov (.89) - Zigomanis (.8 est) - Godard (.75)

Gonchar (5.0) - Orpik (3.75)
Letang (.835) - Scuderi (1.0 est)
Goligoski (1.25 est) - Lovejoy (.875)

Fleury (5.0)
Backup (.6 est)

That's ~47 million used, leaving 9.5 million for a first line RW and extras. Now signing a Hossa or Gaborik is not out of the picture. Even a run at RFA Kessel may make sense because they have an extra 1st if they have to give up theirs as part of compensation. A Crosby, Filatov, Hossa line backed up by a Malkin line does make one drool a little.

If the Pens don't want to spend this much, they can look for some 2nd tier talent (Kovalev?) and spend the extra on beefing up their defense. Their LW's may be juggled for a while to see who works best together.

I think both teams would be significantly upgraded if things would work out like this.

Last edited by Snow Miser: 02-23-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Snow Miser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Everyone keeps talking about Staal as a potential center for Nash.... Personally, I don't see it that way at all. From my seeings of Staal he's not a good playmaker at all, and Nash wouldn't benefit at all. I'd switch him and Brassard... But then Staal is back as a 3rd line center (if the Sedins sign).

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Snow Miser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
Everyone keeps talking about Staal as a potential center for Nash.... Personally, I don't see it that way at all. From my seeings of Staal he's not a good playmaker at all, and Nash wouldn't benefit at all. I'd switch him and Brassard... But then Staal is back as a 3rd line center (if the Sedins sign).
I was actually thinking about that longer term. Since everyone keeps saying that Nash needs a center now, I didn't think Brassard was up to the task yet.

Old
02-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Avoid Lloyd

Quote:
Staal isn't a great passer yet. He is strong with the puck and defensively responsible. I would love to see him on a line with Nash because he has never played with offensive talent.

I like Filatov but he isn't ready and we are giving two decent trading chips. I would pass. I'm still hoping for Staal to be a top winger.

Avoid Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Crosberry87

Something tells me Clb fans will be against moving Filatov...

Crosberry87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:45 AM
sgupca

Quote:
I agree,

plus Filatov will be a much better player than Staal.

I wouldn't do that original offer...

Maybe the jackets should just sign Cammilliar in the offseason.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Crosberry87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoid Lloyd View Post
Staal isn't a great passer yet. He is strong with the puck and defensively responsible. I would love to see him on a line with Nash because he has never played with offensive talent.

I like Filatov but he isn't ready and we are giving two decent trading chips. I would pass. I'm still hoping for Staal to be a top winger.

Thats just it..Staal is WEAK on the puck, especially for a guy of his size. But he is only 20 and has a lot of potential in him. We'll see

Crosberry87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:49 AM
tantalum

IF the Sedins are going to sign for $5.25 mil it will be Vancouver.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Avoid Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrakaLangKovy View Post
Thats just it..Staal is WEAK on the puck, especially for a guy of his size. But he is only 20 and has a lot of potential in him. We'll see
I wouldn't say he is weak on the puck. He can skate great with the puck and he uses his size to shield the puck but playing with 3rd line talent he hasn't been given a chance to get better at passing.

Old
02-23-2009, 09:59 AM
GScott

Filatov is not going anywhere unless the player coming back is named Spezza, Corsby, Malkin, etc... In other words he's not going anywhere. Howson realizes he got a steal with Filatov still being there at 6. If he wasn't a Russian player with no transfer agreement he would have gone much higher.

GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Avoid Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
Filatov is not going anywhere unless the player coming back is named Spezza, Corsby, Malkin, etc... In other words he's not going anywhere. Howson realizes he got a steal with Filatov still being there at 6. If he wasn't a Russian player with no transfer agreement he would have gone much higher.
Stop it! Spezza maybe with something.

Old
02-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Filatov>Stamkos

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:07 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Filatov>Stamkos
No way. No offence.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
No way. No offence.
Yes way. If you saw him play at CSKA for a prolonged period of time you would agree.

If CBJ wasn't so overprotective of his development and just let him out he'd be pretty high amongst rookies in scoring right now. His talent is really something to behold. Like a more disciplined and focused Semin.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:24 AM
hashmarks

I would trade Filatov for Staal, but not sure I would trade all that away for Staal and I think I would rather have Goligoski. To me, Filatov is more than a season away from being an impact player in the league. I know the hatrick blah, blah, blah, but the kid is just so small and slight he a. gets checked off the puck all the time, and b. can't check anyone off of it.

As much as it would suck to see him gone, I think Staal would be a great add for the jackets, whether it is in the 1-hole or 2-hole. I think he is buried in Pitts. and they need to move someone for a winger or two.

Why would you bother talking about the Sedins--those guys aren't coming to Columbus. It doesn't matter if they fit under the cap, the jackets have a budget and those guys wouldn't fit in.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:32 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
Look up "exaggeration" in the dictionary.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:38 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Yes way. If you saw him play at CSKA for a prolonged period of time you would agree.

If CBJ wasn't so overprotective of his development and just let him out he'd be pretty high amongst rookies in scoring right now. His talent is really something to behold. Like a more disciplined and focused Semin.
I've seen him play as much as I reasonably could this year, both at the WJC and in the NHL. I don't see that at all. Like somebody else said (hashmarks?) he seems to get knocked off the puck too easily. This should improve, but he's no Stamkos. I was blown away by how good Stamkos looked in the last game of his I saw.

Old
02-23-2009, 10:41 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
I've seen him play as much as I reasonably could this year, both at the WJC and in the NHL. I don't see that at all. Like somebody else said (hashmarks?) he seems to get knocked off the puck too easily. This should improve, but he's no Stamkos. I was blown away by how good Stamkos looked in the last game of his I saw.
I think Stamkos has really improved as of late, but I think top end skill goes to Filatov.

Old
02-23-2009, 10:44 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
I think Stamkos has really improved as of late, but I think top end skill goes to Filatov.
Filatov has a good shot, no doubt about that. I still like Stamkos' game better though.

Old
02-23-2009, 10:48 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Filatov has a good shot, no doubt about that. I still like Stamkos' game better though.
That's cool. I just don't think it is a really fair comparison since Filatov hasn't been in the NHL practicing with NHL players/coaches and playing vs. NHL players all year. The few games he played and the world champs. isn't enough to recognize what Filatov can do, imo.

Stamkos is playing the best hockey he has played all year so it is not difficult to be impressed. He was picked first for a reason. His first several games/months of his NHL career were less than stellar and he very much fit the description I gave of Filatov--got knocked around, couldn't hang onto the puck, couldn't get the puck back, etc.

Old
02-23-2009, 11:09 AM
grabo84

Quote:
That's cool. I just don't think it is a really fair comparison since Filatov hasn't been in the NHL practicing with NHL players/coaches and playing vs. NHL players all year. The few games he played and the world champs. isn't enough to recognize what Filatov can do, imo.

Stamkos is playing the best hockey he has played all year so it is not difficult to be impressed. He was picked first for a reason. His first several games/months of his NHL career were less than stellar and he very much fit the description I gave of Filatov--got knocked around, couldn't hang onto the puck, couldn't get the puck back, etc.
This is true. It's pretty hard to be 100% certain that one player is going to be better than another this early in their career.

What I like best about Filatov is that he seems like a genuinely sharp kid, and has been very clear that he's committed to playing in the NHL. He knows what it takes, and I'm sure he's spending a lot of time trying to gain some muscle. Hopefully that'll pay off by the time next season rolls around.

Old
02-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Rimers stache

Actually not bad, switch the 1st to a 2nd and drop pitt's 3rd.

Rimers stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post

yes you guys are right and every nhl scout and gm is wrong..... you guys no more then people who get paid for a living to do this stuff... surely that's it!

and as or the trade offer made PIt wins big time in this one.... I do how ever think the idea behind this is a good one

Predsrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
I would trade Filatov for Staal, but not sure I would trade all that away for Staal and I think I would rather have Goligoski. To me, Filatov is more than a season away from being an impact player in the league. I know the hatrick blah, blah, blah, but the kid is just so small and slight he a. gets checked off the puck all the time, and b. can't check anyone off of it.

As much as it would suck to see him gone, I think Staal would be a great add for the jackets, whether it is in the 1-hole or 2-hole. I think he is buried in Pitts. and they need to move someone for a winger or two.
Me, too. In a package similar to the OP. Prefer Letang to Goligoski or Whitney, and I'd simplify it a bit, but the general parameters are there. (Much as I'd hate to move Nikki.)

offseason
Filatov + 1st for Staal + Letang

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Snow Miser

Quote:
Originally Posted by clima08 View Post
Actually not bad, switch the 1st to a 2nd and drop pitt's 3rd.
You may be able to talk me into this. That would make the deal

To Columbus: Whitney and Staal
To Pittsburgh: Filatov, Mayorov, and a 2nd

The hidden aspects of this trade are Pittsburgh still frees up money to get Sid a legitimate RW and the extra pick and Mayorov would help to restock Pitt's minors which are woefully short on talent.