HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Burke interested in Sedins, Alex Burrows

Old
02-27-2009, 12:29 AM
King of Anarchy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccliquer View Post
And you shouldn't really be boasting so much since your sad sack team barely beat ours a week ago.
Canucks - 5th place in the Western Conference
Laffs - 11th place in the Eastern Conference

Ahem.

Itís too bad that Sir Can't Draft A Lot is upset. It's nice to know that Kevin Lowe and Mike Gillis have something in common.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:31 AM
Leafidelity
A New Era

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post

Ahem.

Itís too bad that Sir Can't Draft A Lot is upset. It's nice to know that Kevin Lowe and Mike Gillis have something in common.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:33 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
A second overall pick from 4 years ago??

Nice.

Old
02-27-2009, 12:35 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
lol

Dont diss Brian Burke's posse or you'll pay for it. Literally.
lol it's too bad he crap for supporting players or can't draft talented players to save his life.

Old
02-27-2009, 12:36 AM
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
There already is some whispering going on behind the scenes involving Leafs GM Brian Burke taking a strong run this summer at the Sedin Twins as well as Canucks forward Alex Burrows.

Word is Burke has a strong dislike for Canucks GM Mike Gillis for how the Dave Nonis era ended in Vancouver and this could be an effort to drive up the price on all three players who the Canucks are interested in retaining.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-...Scoops/5/19641
Will be tough for Burke to 'take a strong run this summer at the Sedins and Burrows' when all three will be signed before July 1/09.

I am surprised Strickland posted this...he's usually pretty good about posting stuff...but this is out of left field. Any "whispering" of the sort would be grounds for tampering and Gillis would be all over this if it were true.

Now...one guy who I think Burkie would be all over if he is available this July, and by all accounts he probably will be, is Ohlund.

Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:36 AM
Kessick

Quote:

Ahem.

"Laffs" - OMG, that's original.

Seriously, you go too far, Sir Fan of a Crappy Team. Please, don't call them the "Leaves." And maybe you should throw in "1967" if you really wanna twist the knife?!

Still, it took you guys a shootout to beat the team that had the 5th worst record in the NHL at the time. And then you made a backup goalie in Montreal look like a superstar. Maybe you should worry just a little?

I have nothing against the Canucks, and you'll hardly find any of my posts to be of this nature. The first shot against our GM by a nucks fan was unnecessary, and so was the second about the lack of talent on the Leafs. Last I checked you seem to like filling your rosters with players we don't want back.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:38 AM
Leafidelity
A New Era

vCash: 1775
Id be bitter too if my team signed The Hamburgler and actually thought he was going to change after all this time.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:41 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
And you shouldn't really be boasting so much since your sad sack team barely beat ours a week ago.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:44 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
"Laffs" - OMG, that's original.

Seriously, you go too far, Sir Fan of a Crappy Team. Please, don't call them the "Leaves." And maybe you should throw in "1967" if you really wanna twist the knife?!

Still, it took you guys a shootout to beat the team that had the 5th worst record in the NHL at the time. And then you made a backup goalie in Montreal look like a superstar. Maybe you should worry just a little?

I have nothing against the Canucks, and you'll hardly find any of my posts to be of this nature. The first shot against our GM by a nucks fan was unnecessary, and so was the second about the lack of talent on the Leafs. Last I checked you seem to like filling your rosters with players we don't want back.
For a backup goalie, he's sure outplaying the 'goalie of the future'.

Quote:
Id be bitter too if my team signed The Hamburgler and actually thought he was going to change after all this time.
Things must be good when the best you have to offer up is a project signing.

Yikes.

Old
02-27-2009, 12:54 AM
timw33

Quote:
Yeah, those 1st and 2nd overall picks are toughies to choose.

Nathan Smith was a beauty pick, so was dicking around with RJ Umberger in contract negotiations.

timw33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:58 AM
Vector

Toronto Fans: Uggg, ugg, ugg!
Vancouver Fans: Feh, feh, feh!
Rest of the League: HAHAHAHA!

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:07 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Yeah, those 1st and 2nd overall picks are toughies to choose.
Nathan Smith was a beauty pick, so was dicking around with RJ Umberger in contract negotiations.
Well for Atlanta it was...Anyone remember Patrik Stefan? That was a good one

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:12 AM
Macke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicY View Post
Big f'ing surprise Princess Brian would feel slighted on behalf of Mini-Me. After Nonis' Globe and Mail article ('Yeah i'm proud. Those are mostly MY players and MY staff.'), you can tell that those grapes are freaking sour.
Link to this article.

The Sedins won't get to free agency either they'll get big money on a 4 or 5 year deal..sigh

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:13 AM
CM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
Well when you're given a choice between Stefan or Brendl (both were the 2 top prospects) because you've made a deal with another GM so he can draft someone else with the next pick. It still wasn't a horrible pick. Just face the fact that the 99 Draft was weak.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:27 AM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
dont want sedins

dont want burrows ick

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:30 AM
1234rer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
dont want sedins

dont want burrows ick
?? You wouldn't want good players on your team? Is that how they do it in T.O?

1234rer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:58 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
A second overall pick from 4 years ago??

Nice.
I'm not sure what 4 years ago has to do with anything, power forwards generally take longer to develop and if you think Bobby Ryan isn't good just check his stats (39 pts in 45 games +8 for a rookie). If you ask any ducks fan I'm sure they'd tell you they're glad they waited that long for him.

Although I'm not here to defend Burke's drafting skills since he has made several questionable picks, but he has made some quality ones as well. Just to name a few players since you seem to be unknowledgeable on the topic, even though you're an apparent Nucks fan, The Sedin Twins, Umberger, and Kesler. If none of those do it for you, does Chris Pronger when he was in Hartford ring a bell? In either case, Dave Nonis on the other hand is a much better drafter as evident from the 2004, 05 and 06 drafts. Sure Burke's no Ken Holland, or drafting genius at all for that matter (he's mediocre when it comes to drafting), but that's not his strong suit anyway. Aside from bickering with other GM's and banter with the media, he is truly a gem when it comes to making trades. If you wish to argue me on this, you can try and tell me how the Chris Pronger trade was not one of the most lopsided deals in history (behind the Luongo trade made by NONIS). Not only is crafty when it comes to trades, but he also knows the value in his players, such as Dustin Penner who played well in a contract year, allowed him to walk via offer sheet to the Edmonton Oilers. How good is that looking on his part right now? I'm not defending any of his mistakes because there are quite a few, but to say he's done nothing right or that he hasn't drafted anyone good is just ignorant.

I don't think anyone would argue that Burke is the best GM in the league, because he definitely isn't. However, he is exactly what the Leafs need right now; a no non-sense GM who can deal with the circus media, and could care less what fans and others say about how long it should take for a rebuild.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:02 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234rer View Post
?? You wouldn't want good players on your team? Is that how they do it in T.O?
Ignore the guy who said he wouldn't take Burrows or the Sedins. They're all good players, but maybe not what Burke is looking for right now, or at least shouldn't be. Rushing a rebuild is never good, screw what the fans and media think, look at how well the Kings are playing now. The Kings are going to be pretty dominant in the future. However, of the three Burrows is definitely a player I'd like to see wearing a Leafs jersey, since from what I've witnessed he wears his heart on his sleeve much like Kesler.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:02 AM
CrosbyCrosby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Sedins are gonna screw one lucky team over good, 13million for those two ballerinas is a laugh riot.
i'd rather pay 14 million for 2 sedins than 7 for 1 horcoff

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:07 AM
Liminality

Lol this thread shows why people hate Vancouver fans and Toronto fans.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:22 AM
John Belushi

This is not pleasing news.

I'd venture a bet that the Sedins' have quite a bit of respect for Burke, considering he was the one who swung the deal for them to play together and supported them in the media for years, despite much backlash.

I expect Burrows to sign with Vancouver, but the Sedins? Different story. I doubt they feel much loyalty towards Gillis as he hasn't been very vocally supportive at all.

Toronto also has the cap space to pull something like this off.

One more thing: could this possibly be considered tampering? Although I wouldn't expect Bettman to ever penalize Burke (he has too much respect for him), I'd like to hear some thoughts.

John Belushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:37 AM
AgentNaslund*

and here comes the leafs fans pretending they really don't want the Sedins, because they look stupid and embarrased to actually amit they don't want the Sedins, but infact, they probably don't mind adding the Sedins for free.

Bitter Brian Burke, what a goof. Great GM, but his arrogance gets the best of him sometimes. Was not brought back as Nucks gm because of his arrogance. Blames Mike Gillis because of Nonis getting fired? It was the owenrs who canned Dave Nonis.

Burke was also why he wasnt invited to LIndens retirement ceremony? Saying "he will fly from anywhere on the planet to go to his retirement.?"

maybe if he stopped attacking our owners, (who wasnt even the ones who decided not to resign him in the first place) for no good reason.

Quote:
Lol this thread shows why people hate Vancouver fans and Toronto fans.
YOur basically hated if your a

Oilers, Flames, Canucks, Habs, Leafs fan. There's no exception to the rule. These groups have huge fan bases which make them easy targets for others.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:42 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Sedins are gonna screw one lucky team over good, 13million for those two ballerinas is a laugh riot.
I really like your post a lot. They should show a little physicality at least some of the time. I also agree that 13m would be a real overpayment, but they do have some real offensive skill. Stick them on a line with a top 5 finisher and watch them turn an average team into a contender...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:11 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
and here comes the leafs fans pretending they really don't want the Sedins, because they look stupid and embarrased to actually amit they don't want the Sedins, but infact, they probably don't mind adding the Sedins for free.

Bitter Brian Burke, what a goof. Great GM, but his arrogance gets the best of him sometimes. Was not brought back as Nucks gm because of his arrogance. Blames Mike Gillis because of Nonis getting fired? It was the owenrs who canned Dave Nonis.

Burke was also why he wasnt invited to LIndens retirement ceremony? Saying "he will fly from anywhere on the planet to go to his retirement.?"

maybe if he stopped attacking our owners, (who wasnt even the ones who decided not to resign him in the first place) for no good reason.

YOur basically hated if your a

Oilers, Flames, Canucks, Habs, Leafs fan. There's no exception to the rule. These groups have huge fan bases which make them easy targets for others.
I really don't want the Sedins dude. Have they even played in a conference final?

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:16 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
Ah yes, the mighty 1999 draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Belushi View Post
This is not pleasing news.

I'd venture a bet that the Sedins' have quite a bit of respect for Burke, considering he was the one who swung the deal for them to play together and supported them in the media for years, despite much backlash.

I expect Burrows to sign with Vancouver, but the Sedins? Different story. I doubt they feel much loyalty towards Gillis as he hasn't been very vocally supportive at all.

Toronto also has the cap space to pull something like this off.

One more thing: could this possibly be considered tampering? Although I wouldn't expect Bettman to ever penalize Burke (he has too much respect for him), I'd like to hear some thoughts.
Gillis seems to keep pretty much everything close to his chest, though.

timw33 is online now   Reply With Quote