HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ilya Kovalchuk a good fit to the Rangers as per...

Old
02-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Nick00

vCash: 500
Staal, Dawes, and a 1st round pick might get it done.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 06:26 PM
PromNite
This is awkward...

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
No, it wouldn't.

We should just drop the subject really, he isn't coming here. If you wanna argue over trade values, OK, but he will not be a Ranger.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 06:29 PM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
No, it wouldn't.

We should just drop the subject really, he isn't coming here. If you wanna argue over trade values, OK, but he will not be a Ranger.
Never say never dude.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Nick00

Quote:
No, it wouldn't.

There's no reason why he'll never be a Ranger.
You're over dramatizing the idea.
I'm not trying to say it will happen, but it's absolutely possible that he ends up here.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 06:43 PM
OldOmi

With Tortorella on a multi year contract i can picture either Vinnie Lecav or Kovol here someday or other.
But not this season..
More Vinnie maybe if anyone just due to tampa and money issues for them..

OldOmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Celestial Black

Only in my greatest dreams does his wear Rangers blue.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 08:11 PM
TheHotRock

my offer:

Zherdev
Sanguinetti
Girardi
Dubinsky
Dawes
1st 09
2nd 2010

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 08:12 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
smoke more weed, turtle

Old
02-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Can't we please just pony up and offer:

Gomez (salary + a little value)
Dawes (decent young roster player)
Kalinin (throw in defenseman for ATL's weak blue line + more salary)
Del Zotto (top end puck moving D prospect)
Grachev (intriguing forward prospect)
1st in 2009
1st in 2010
2nd in 2010 if he resigns

We would still have Anisimov, Sanguinetti and Potter in our system so we're not completely destitute, we hold onto a core of Dubinsky, Zherdev, Staal, Lundqvist, Korpikoski, Callahan and it's pretty hard to say Atlanta isn't receiving fair compensation. I would do it in a heartbeat. I would kill to see Kovy in NY.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:15 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

What team wouldn't Kovalchuk be a good fit on?

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
my offer:

Zherdev
Sanguinetti
Girardi
Dubinsky
Dawes
1st 09
2nd 2010
Christ thats a lot.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

If your talking about franchise players like Kovalchuk and Bouwmeester the conversation is going to begin and end with whether or not we're willing to part with Marc Staal.

Other than Lundqvist, no one else on this team has any real trade value. We can't just throw together a whole bunch of trash and hope it adds up to a franchise player.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Abooch68

I would give up any amount of players picks and prospects for kovy..

Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Gomez is as worthless on Atlanta without Kovalchuk as he is here without a legit sniper. It's doesn't make sense for the Thrashers to pick up a play maker when they are giving up there sniper to get him.

We all want Gomez gone but it would probably be more along the lines of Zherdev+Dubinsky plus picks and prospects. That way the Thrashers get two good young players one of which could potentially score a lot more goals than he has and is also a good play maker and a solid center, two way player to round out there first two lines. Then again Zherdev needs to be signed and I doubt he would sign in Atlanta.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:16 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
my offer:

Zherdev
Sanguinetti
Girardi
Dubinsky
Dawes
1st 09
2nd 2010
whoa..

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:51 PM
NHLsnipers

Ive been saying this all year that he will end up a ranger. The Thrashers need to get something for him before he becomes a UFA after next season and walks.

He is arguably the 2nd best pure goal scorer in the league

Get rid of Roszival and a few picks and give Kovy a 10 year deal

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:06 AM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Quote:
No, it wouldn't.

if theres any team he could end up on its the rangers... lets go through premier players that you never would have thought would be rangers a few years before acquired.
Markus Naslund
Jaromir Jagr
Eric Lindros
Pat Lafontaine
Wayne Gretzky
Guy Lafleur
Phil Esposito
Pavel Bure

need I go on?

Maybe it will be after his career slows down, but would we have ever thought we would have gotten Zherdev last year. If there is one gm who is not afraid to get premier players is Slats.
I bet Ovechkin will be a Ranger one day, maybe at the ripe age of 36, but he will likely become a Ranger. If not him, Malkin or Crosby.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:17 AM
lotus

Okay first of all, to everyone saying "What team wouldn't he be a good fit on?" stop saying it. Because it was said once, and you don't sound smart for being the 4th and 5th person to reiterate. We get it, the thread title isn't great.

Now, I'll try to say that my wanting Kovalchuk is bias free, however, Kovalchuk is easily my favorite active NHLer - so to see him come here would be a dream come true. That aside, let's look at what we're talking about here.

Staal, Dawes, and a 1st.

Too little?

Zherdev
Sanguinetti
Girardi
Dubinsky
Dawes
1st 09
2nd 2010

Too much?

What lies between the two? Consider that Kovalchuk is almost guaranteed to not resign with Atlanta, and the fans that they do have are going to miss him - they'll want something (potentially) as exciting to watch - since that's all you really have if you're not winning. What else fills the seats?

Zherdev would be interesting to them I'm sure, but if you're losing proven top line talent like Kovalchuk, you should really at least get back numerous guys who could potentially turn out that successful. I'd suspect they would ask for the likes of Zherdev, Dawes, Dubinsky. Prucha doesn't have much trade value right now. Grachev, Del Zotto, even Korpikoski could go. In addition, a 1st and probably a 2nd. I wouldn't dwell on losing the picks, the position is what you give up - and if we lost a bunch of picks to gain a player like this, Sather would likely move some players to gain picks back so that we don't leave the draft with only 1 or 2 prospects.

Torts loves Dubinsky, I'd rule him out if it's an option.

Zherdev, Dawes, Korpikoski, 1st rounder + 2nd rounder seems fair enough to at the least start a negotiation.

Kovalchuk isn't exactly "old", and he's already proven to be one of the elite players in the league. With a year still on Kovalchuks contract, meaning another year to make him love this city, only Lundqvist is untouchable in negotiations.

edit: Gomez going isn't impossible, but it is unlikely. Drury and Redden I would rule out, maybe even Rozsival. It is possible they would want Gomez, IMO, as they might pull a Rangers and say that a playmaker could bring out the best in some of their young guys...

Let's bring Exelby here while we're at it eh? Noone could touch Lundqvist without having to swallow their teeth afterwards.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 02:22 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
Gomez is as worthless on Atlanta without Kovalchuk as he is here without a legit sniper. It's doesn't make sense for the Thrashers to pick up a play maker when they are giving up there sniper to get him.

We all want Gomez gone but it would probably be more along the lines of Zherdev+Dubinsky plus picks and prospects. That way the Thrashers get two good young players one of which could potentially score a lot more goals than he has and is also a good play maker and a solid center, two way player to round out there first two lines. Then again Zherdev needs to be signed and I doubt he would sign in Atlanta.
2006 first round pick, 12th overall. Brian Little can score. He would have to move to wing though. Still, 25 goals, crap team, he's only 21 not to mention if Gomez were to wind up in Atlanta (I know it's not happening) he would also have Kozlov. He can still play. It would make a pretty good line IMO, as well.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 02:47 AM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
2006 first round pick, 12th overall. Brian Little can score. He would have to move to wing though. Still, 25 goals, crap team, he's only 21 not to mention if Gomez were to wind up in Atlanta (I know it's not happening) he would also have Kozlov. He can still play. It would make a pretty good line IMO, as well.
Exactly what I was getting at - It's still unlikely, but not unthinkable. Take your pick I guess, Little centering Zherdev or Gomez centering Little.

Old
02-28-2009, 03:34 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
Exactly what I was getting at - It's still unlikely, but not unthinkable. Take your pick I guess, Little centering Zherdev or Gomez centering Little.
Exactly. I shouldn't of said it's definitely not going to happen because who knows with Sather. He continues to surprise me. I did not expect to see Gomez come here and I especially was surprised he signed both he and Drury in the same day. The Tyutin trade caught me a bit by surprise and of course this year I didn't think he would bring in both Naslund and Redden. So who knows? Something tells me if we do get Kovalchuk, that it will be at the expense of a lot of youth. That worries me. And not just youth on the team or in the system, but 1st round picks as well. I would love to have Kovalchuk as much as anyone. But I'm afraid Sather will over do it and practically set the team back much, much more. Especially with giving away to many 1st round picks.
The Rangers could get real lucky like the Ducks did in 2004 when they drafted both Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf. Not saying there is any guarantee in banking on that to happen either but to me it's a much, much better risk/reward ratio. Especially with everyone saying how deep in talent the next draft will be, and it's likely it will be like that the following year as well.

Old
02-28-2009, 03:54 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
Oh, but also, wouldn't Atlanta from the Rangers standpoint have to take 1 of the 3 or 4 big contracts. That's why when I looked at your starting point above which included Zherdev, Korpikoski, Dawes, 1st and second rounder I thought it is a decent starting point but we have to be able to resign Kovalchuk, which means Atlanta would have to take one of Gomez, Drury, Redden or at the very least, Rozsival. I would say out of the four, Gomez would make the most sense because Little needs a forward to play with, and Gomez and he might be a good pairing for the next 5 years.

Also if I were Sather you may be able to dump Drury and his salary at the dead line to free up cap room. Maybe to a team who still believes he's considered a "captain clutch." I already have Buffalo in mind as they could figure by adding Drury, who played so well there, will highly increase their chances of making the playoffs and even make some noise while in the playoffs. Especially when Miller and Vanek come back I could easily see them upset the Bruins or the Devils.

Old
02-28-2009, 04:01 AM
lotus

It's true but to give up Kovalchuk for unproven youth is still a gamble on the Atlanta side. Like I said, Kovalchuk is still young, there's a lot left to his career and best of all he is proven - a probable 50 goal scorer on a bad team means what to a good team? Not to mention he's pretty much going to instantly double the strength of a power play.

Anyway - back to my point. You can take the 1st overall pick of the next few drafts and still, there's no guarantee they will be as good as Kovalchuk. Atlanta obviously wants several players that can turn out to be Kovalchuk quality - or better. They will hope that one turns out that well, and the rest are a bonus.

If one does, then obviously they did better than anyone expected, but the point is that they will want several players who after they develop, will be possible replacements. They could probably see this in Zherdev, they might see it in Little if he has a good, fast center such as Gomez. And they'll still want more - and I'd still give them it. I really think that if you have the chance to trade for serious, proven, moderately young talent, you really make a good bid.

Of course, that's where the quality versus quantity debate comes in - but let's face it, Rangers have mediocre quantity, and zero quality. The Thrashers have great quality, zero quantity. Seem's like a good fit.

Old
02-28-2009, 07:59 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

kovy is a stud. period.

i would think hes the sniper we need on this team. hes also the most available sniper so i think if theres a way to get him on this team, slats needs to get it done. atl cant afford to keep him. we need to realize its gonna cost us some talent tho.

i would love to have him here with zherdev setting him up. those 2 together would be filthy. if it means dubinski, staal or one of our solid prospects and picks i do it.

kovy= better than anyone we have now and hes a pure sniper.

i would offer this

rozy, dubinski or staal- one would need to be included imo, bobby sangs or mdz and a 1st rounder

get it done slats

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 09:15 AM
TheHotRock

Zherdev, Dawes, Korpikoski, a 1st and a 2nd would be a good place to start, lotus? yea, a good place to start if you want waddel to hang up on you and stop taking your phone calls. get real and stop overvaluing your players.

my offer may be a slight overpayment but its gonna take something similar to pry kovalchuk from atlanta. he's 25 years old and a potential 50 goal scorer. you will not acquire him for a pu pu platter of borderline second liners.