HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post #234 -- Briere will not play March 7; day-to-day thereafter -- Nodl called up

Old
03-06-2009, 10:08 AM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I don't see how it's that much different Jester.

The Flyers expected 35+ goals and 70+ points from Gagne, it's not like they could magically replace that production when he got hurt because there wasn't a cap.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:09 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
If that's the case, I find it funny that that was the dumbest question you've ever read...but hey...to each their own.
Sorry....forgot everything needs to be defined in black and white for you....Look up the term exaggeration

Quote:
I think we have other players (and coaches and GM's) that helped us get to the ECF last season, no? I think you know the players/staff members...you seem to talk about them quite often.

Didn't they all contribute as well?
Yep....Biron. Without Biron and Briere, we dont make it past the Capitals who completely outplayed us the 2nd half of the series and pushed it to 7 games.

Quote:
Thank Captain Obvious, never would have figured that out without you.
Wanted to make sure....you keep missing the obvious in my posts.

Quote:
Precisely why he isn't NEEDED.

With the emergence of Richards and Carter, it would be more beneficial to the team to have a Dominic Moore type player as the 3rd line center, and Komisarek type player on the back end.

The fact that you posted that you agreed, makes me wonder why were even having this conversation...you agreed that he (Danny Boy) isn't indeed NEEDED, rather than a nice luxery.
First off, I never said he wasnt "needed" I said I would be open to a move that improves the team in several different areas if the style of their play and the coaching can adjust as well.....I doubt it so far. If it were up to me, I wouldnt move him.....That is the definition of Objective Thinking. Try it sometime.

And the fact we are having this conversation is cause of you acting like an ass

Quote:
I'm sure he didn't, just like Forsberg didn't...but you really have to look at his season and wonder if he was 100%.

He obviously wasn't.
As far as everyone knows he was coming into the season...he played fine the first 9 games and then got injured. If you remember, I was specifically one of the few on here that came out and said "This is going to last all year. Abdominal injuries always do" Hate to say I told you so.

The idiot Flyers training staff and doctors kept approving his return, when he should have just been shut down until around now from the beginning.

All the guy wanted to do was come back and help his team....That isnt putting himself first by any means, in fact, it is the complete opposite.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:11 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

The Flyers expected 35+ goals and 70+ points from Gagne, it's not like they could magically replace that production when he got hurt because there wasn't a cap.
Because you can replace him much easier without a cap in place....

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
And the fact we are having this conversation is cause of you acting like an ass.
You're a funny guy.

I thought this was a discussion board???

I posted without quoting anybody...

Quote:
Anybody think that we still need this guy?
And you came out to play, and quote me and go on the offensive. I mean, I thought this was a discussion board mikey, aren't we allowed to form our own opinions??? I believe you were preaching that just yesterday, if not the day before.

Are you capable of having a talk without calling people names?

Last edited by Opus: 03-06-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Philadelphia Flames

Briere's contract is gonna be a huge problem for us. I've heard the cap might go down as much as 10 million.

Philadelphia Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:28 AM
duffy9748

Can we please just get rid of Jim McCrossin?

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:51 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Can we please just get rid of Jim McCrossin?
Muahhaha I found my 2008 avatar of McCrossin. I definitely shotty him when we do this years playoff avatars

And again thanks Jules for this one

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Death of a Martian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Briere's contract is gonna be a huge problem for us. I've heard the cap might go down as much as 10 million.
I just don't see how that is fair to teams. Like 80-90% of teams in the NHL would have huge problems if that happened.

Death of a Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:01 AM
BWAVgal
The Mockingjay lives

Briere didn't re-injure his groin:

http://csnphilly.com/pages/landing_h...302&feedID=717

Quote:
Panaccio: Briere to Miss Saturday Night's Game

By Tim Panaccio
CSNPhilly.com

Danny Briere feels he’s dodged a bullet. For now.

The Flyers center said Friday morning at Skate Zone that his groin injury, suffered during Thursday’s 5-1 loss to Calgary, was more “adhesions” breaking loose and not a re-injuring of his groin.

“There’s a big relief this morning; it’s not as bad as we thought,” said Briere, who plans to practice on Saturday but will not play against Nashville. “I had a little workout this morning.”

He said he feels he can be “day to day” starting on Sunday.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...rs_Briere.html
Quote:

“I met with Dr. Meyers this morning and he said that I tore through the adhesion in my groin,” said Briere, who exited last night’s game late in the second period. “It is swollen and I have a little internal bleeding, but it’s not abnormal.

“Everybody reacts to surgery differently. [Dr. Meyers] has seen this before.”

Briere worked out today and will skate with the team at tomorrow’s pre-game skate but is not expected to play against Nashville on Fan Appreciation Night at the Wachovia Center.

It is a welcomed relief for the Flyers, who feared after yesterday’s 5-1 loss to Calgary that Briere might be lost for the season.

“Anytime a player doesn’t finish a game it is a cause for concern,” coach John Stevens said. “We’ll see how quickly he comes around. I’d say that we’re carefully optimistic that we can get him back sooner rather than later.”

But Briere never thought that his latest injury was more than a tweak.

“I never thought that it was worse than that,” Briere said. “It never crossed my mind. My initial reaction was that I pulled a muscle. But to learn [that this morning], it is a big relief.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...SPECIFIED.html
Quote:

According to Briere, Meyers told him "adhesions broke (Thursday) and there's internal bleeding. He saw swelling. He also told me it wasn't abnormal. Everybody's body reacts to surgery and to adhesions differently, but he's seen this before and he said most guys go through ups and downs, but it's just a little downer right now and hopefully within a couple days I'll be back playing."

Briere said he hoped to practice with the team tomorrow "and after that, we'll evaluate it on a day-to-day basis."

The Flyers are 3-6-3 with Briere in the lineup (1-5-3 when he has played a full game), but that stat is misleading because it includes the 0-3-3 start - when all the players had awful numbers.

They are 31-13-7 without him.

Briere left Thursday's contest late in the second period, but he re-aggravated his groin in the opening period.

"It started earlier in the game and it just kept tightening up," Briere said. "You know how it is. Being down 4-0 after the first period, I didn't want to leave the guys and say, 'I can't play anymore.' And honestly, I thought it was just a little bit of tightness and would get better as the game went on. But it just kept getting worse and worse."

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-06-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Edited for additional articles
BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Opus

That's wonderful news!!!

Old
03-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Phew...

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Jester

Quote:

What do you mean you don't see how it was different. The Flyers could have traded for a guy making 10M a year in 02-03 if they'd wanted to. Right now we can't trade for a guy making 500K.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:11 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

"adhesions"

Whu?

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:12 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

HFBoards needs a Medical Director to help us understand this stuff

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Opus

Sounds painful.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/AP/Search/...aspx?id=439094

Quote:
Briere was examined Friday morning, and his surgeon told him the adhesions broke from his last groin surgery and there was some internal bleeding. Briere said his surgeon told him that was common and Briere could possibly play Tuesday against Buffalo.

Old
03-06-2009, 11:21 AM
kicksave27

The timing is just unreal. Now we have no depth, no upshall and no way out. but at least we'll have plenty of cap room for callups with briere back on IR. Are we going to be able to dress 3 lines when lupuls cap hit strikes next year? Old time hockey, eddy shore

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
The timing is just unreal. Now we have no depth, no upshall and no way out. but at least we'll have plenty of cap room for callups with briere back on IR. Are we going to be able to dress 3 lines when lupuls cap hit strikes next year? Old time hockey, eddy shore
He's not going back on LTIR if he's coming back next tuesday.

Old
03-06-2009, 11:35 AM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He's not going back on LTIR if he's coming back next tuesday.
which means he should be out for the next thursday's game, play, injure, repeat, until eventually, he gets put on IR till hopefully the playoffs, during which i'm sure he'll injure it again. Sisba on giroux's wing during the playoffs should be interesting though.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Unstable

Call up Nodl?

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:39 AM
zamboni88

Danny was ovulating - that's all it was -

zamboni88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:58 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
What do you mean you don't see how it was different. The Flyers could have traded for a guy making 10M a year in 02-03 if they'd wanted to. Right now we can't trade for a guy making 500K.
Yeah, but they probably couldn't have done that realistically without losing a lot of assets.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Jester

Quote:
Yeah, but they probably couldn't have done that realistically without losing a lot of assets.
...but that highlights why Briere's situation and contract are FAR MORE problematic than the Gagne's lost season (when, btw, he wasn't getting paid all that much anyway).

Old
03-06-2009, 12:15 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Anybody think that we still need this guy?
Not this year. I wont shed a tear if he cant come back. He doesnt seem to have that confidence at all in pushing out 100 percent on off that injury. If hes like that he is no good to us at all. I think if hes listed as day to day this is going to be a distraction for the rest of the season. This is the Forsberg footgate all over again.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Dude, come on. That's not the point at all. The point is they could have added a guy making a **** ton of money and had zero consequences because there was no cap in place. Don't play the semantics game. It's stupid.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

This is good news i guess.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote