HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Post #234 -- Briere will not play March 7; day-to-day thereafter -- Nodl called up

Old
03-06-2009, 07:50 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
understatement of the year.
good grief.
at this point IR him for the rest of the regular season. there is no point now in bringing him back until at least the start of the playoffs.
This is just like the Forsberg footgate fiasco.
ridiculous.
I can see Holmgren's point in it being a mental game with Briere. If he cant trust himself to go out and give it 100 percent then he shouldnt be playing. if he is playing and he scared to "go all out" then hes not helping matters in the least.
He just needs to shut it down until April. Make the decision then about the playoffs. If hes ready fine, if not fine. This team has shown it can play some good hockey without him. Wont hurt my feelings in the least if we dont see him again in training camp in 09/10
A bad situation, to be sure. I think the ONLY thing the Flyers should NOT do is, as they say, "shut him down" until the playoffs. Worst case scenario for me is that he returns and gets hurt again and everyone gets distracted for The Big Run.

What a shame this is.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:14 AM
BringBackStevens

Well on the bright side maybe he will retire early due to injury and we can regain 6.5m cap room

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:17 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Well on the bright side maybe he will retire early due to injury and we can regain 6.5m cap room
Or go LTIR for an unknown amount of time and collect 30m over the next 6 years doing nothing.

And make sure we have LTIR woes until we all die.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:20 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
Let us pray.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Anybody think that we still need this guy?

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:24 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I love that avy.
Hysterical.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:42 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87
Or go LTIR for an unknown amount of time and collect 30m over the next 6 years doing nothing.

Most likely scenario

Old
03-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

You people hoping he has to retire are real aholes

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:51 AM
BringBackStevens

I've stayed out of the Briere debate for quite some time but i'm pretty sick of it at this point. He's a 6.5 million hole on our salary cap. The team is better off with 6.5 to play with, even over a healthy Briere. The fact that we are now entering post-trade deadline with what looks to be six and half million of unused salary for the rest of the year is incredibly frustrating.

And no, i don't really hope he retires. It was tongue in cheek more than anything

Old
03-06-2009, 08:52 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
This is absurd, I remember everybody hating on Gagne when he had his groin problems in 02-03 as well.

A groin is pretty tough to come back from, I wouldn't expect to see him again for the rest of the season.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:27 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
When Giroux was demoted, Holmgren said it was because of his play and had nothing to do with the salary cap and the impending activation of Briere. Immediately, that translated to the reference of a few days prior with the "NHL is watching the Flyers, Briere situation." When Giroux was asked, he said he wasn't given a reason for his demotion. Holmgren protecting him from saying anything out of league perhaps. If the NHL did get involved in this situation, this could eventually involve the players' association if the injury is deemed of an even more serious nature. I know many here don't like Tim P but he mentioned maybe 2-3 weeks ago that he felt Briere was out for the season and he gave reasons why. Later, he said he spoke to Briere about Biron and the flu, so maybe, in that same conversation Briere said to Timmah that he felt that he couldn't go. Holmgren said last night that "It's probably more mental than physical. I feel bad for him."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:28 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
That is the dumbest question I have ever read.

Yes we need him, we didnt improve the defense on our team so we need the scoring

If it was before the trade deadline you could have shut him down for the rest of the season and used the cap room to improve the team in other areas.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:31 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
*loud aggravted, obviously annoyed sigh*

for ****ing real? Is this guy ever gonna be healthy? Didnt help the NHL rushed him back, but I mean Danny or the Flyers training staff couldnt see he wasnt ready? 3 games and he re aggravates it.......... Jesus Christ.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:32 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
I've stayed out of the Briere debate for quite some time but i'm pretty sick of it at this point. He's a 6.5 million hole on our salary cap. The team is better off with 6.5 to play with, even over a healthy Briere. The fact that we are now entering post-trade deadline with what looks to be six and half million of unused salary for the rest of the year is incredibly frustrating.

And no, i don't really hope he retires. It was tongue in cheek more than anything
IF Briere is moved and an better 2nd pairing dman and good 3rd lin center come in next year fine.....but this team as constructed, and how it plays now needs the 3 lines that can score. If you get rid of Briere, you best be able to start shutting down some teams defensively

Old
03-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
This is absurd, I remember everybody hating on Gagne when he had his groin problems in 02-03 as well.

A groin is pretty tough to come back from, I wouldn't expect to see him again for the rest of the season.
A comparison between 02-03 and 08-09 is pretty much useless. Gagne didn't neuter this teams ability to maneuver, Briere does. Not saying it's his fault, because it isn't. I very much believe he wants to play.

But don't conflate the two situations. It's a completely different league with the salary cap.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:34 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
IF Briere is moved and an better 2nd pairing dman and good 3rd lin center come in next year fine.....but this team as constructed, and how it plays now needs the 3 lines that can score. If you get rid of Briere, you best be able to start shutting down some teams defensively
We are definitely better with him than nothing at all, but if we had that six and half this summer we could add Komisarek and a nice 3rd line center quite easily and have some to play with (for example), or we could even take a stab at a more high profile player like Jbo

The defense needs to be improved, Briere or not. Period. Without him its a whole lot easier

Old
03-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post

If he went on LTIR permanently...we'd have another 6.5M to spend every season.

I actually expect he'll be back in the not too distant future to try again.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:37 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
*loud aggravted, obviously annoyed sigh*

for ****ing real? Is this guy ever gonna be healthy? Didnt help the NHL rushed him back, but I mean Danny or the Flyers training staff couldnt see he wasnt ready? 3 games and he re aggravates it.......... Jesus Christ.
Havent you noticed the pattern of this happening with the Flyers staff???? Its been going on for years...

Old
03-06-2009, 09:40 AM
FlamesFan80

For what it's worth, FAN 590 just said Philly will be shutting Briere down for the remainder of the regular season, and probably the playoffs...

I feel the frustration for you guys. Been a rollercoaster ride with this guy all year for you.

FlamesFan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
That is the dumbest question I have ever read.

Yes we need him, we didnt improve the defense on our team so we need the scoring

If it was before the trade deadline you could have shut him down for the rest of the season and used the cap room to improve the team in other areas.
You don't read much, if that's the case, but whatever you say mikey.

We don't need him, he's nice to have...a luxery, and a luxery that is going to handicap this team for the next 6 years.

His 6.5 million could be used much better elsewhere, and make the team better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan80 View Post
For what it's worth, FAN 590 just said Philly will be shutting Briere down for the remainder of the regular season, and probably the playoffs...

I feel the frustration for you guys. Been a rollercoaster ride with this guy all year for you.
Not surprised in the least.

Daniel Briere totally Forsberged us this year. He put himself ahead of the team...and now were going to pay dearly for it.

Old
03-06-2009, 09:51 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
You don't read much, if that's the case, but whatever you say mikey.

We don't need him, he's nice to have...a luxery, and a luxery that is going to handicap this team for the next 6 years.

His 6.5 million could be used much better elsewhere, and make the team better.

Daniel Briere totally Forsberged us this year. He put himself ahead of the team...and now were going to pay dearly for it.
Nope, never read.....Its just ALL that I do every night...

Yep, a luxury that got us to the conference championship last year. A luxury that enabled Richards and Carter to develop quickly. A luxury that scores a point per game.

Its past the trade deadline, you cant use that money elsewhere now. If it was before the trade deadline you could.

YOU obviously dont read much, otherwise you would have seen my other post where I said if we can get a good 3rd line center and a better 2nd pairing dman with his money than go for it.....Isnt happening at this point in the season.

And I am sure Briere said "I want to **** over the Flyers, I dont want to play" Injuries happen, there is no way of controlling them.

Stop with the negativity about Briere.....stay positive. All is perfect in Flyer Land

Old
03-06-2009, 09:54 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
We are definitely better with him than nothing at all, but if we had that six and half this summer we could add Komisarek and a nice 3rd line center quite easily and have some to play with (for example), or we could even take a stab at a more high profile player like Jbo

The defense needs to be improved, Briere or not. Period. Without him its a whole lot easier
I dont disagree with that and if it can be done, and the team changes its style a little I will get over it, as much as I want him here. However, how do you propose they move him? A trade or waivers?

I highly doubt he will let us waive him so that only leave open the possibility of trade. It is going to be very difficult to trade him.

Old
03-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Nope, never read.....Its just ALL that I do every night...
If that's the case, I find it funny that that was the dumbest question you've ever read...but hey...to each their own.

Quote:
Yep, a luxury that got us to the conference championship last year. A luxury that enabled Richards and Carter to develop quickly. A luxury that scores a point per game.
I think we have other players (and coaches and GM's) that helped us get to the ECF last season, no? I think you know the players/staff members...you seem to talk about them quite often.

Didn't they all contribute as well?

Quote:
Its past the trade deadline, you cant use that money elsewhere now. If it was before the trade deadline you could.
Thank Captain Obvious, never would have figured that out without you.

Quote:
YOU obviously dont read much, otherwise you would have seen my other post where I said if we can get a good 3rd line center and a better 2nd pairing dman with his money than go for it.....Isnt happening at this point in the season.
Precisely why he isn't NEEDED.

With the emergence of Richards and Carter, it would be more beneficial to the team to have a Dominic Moore type player as the 3rd line center, and Komisarek type player on the back end.

The fact that you posted that you agreed, makes me wonder why were even having this conversation...you agreed that he (Danny Boy) isn't indeed NEEDED, rather than a nice luxery.

Quote:
And I am sure Briere said "I want to **** over the Flyers, I dont want to play" Injuries happen, there is no way of controlling them.
I'm sure he didn't, just like Forsberg didn't...but you really have to look at his season and wonder if he was 100%.

He obviously wasn't.

Quote:
Stop with the negativity about Briere.....stay positive. All is perfect in Flyer Land
You bet!

Old
03-06-2009, 10:04 AM
TOCxNJ

Quote:

Not sure about that statement...Forsberg is the type of player that if he thinks he can't give 100%, that he may drag the team down so he didn't play. It was the drama that surrounded the injury that unfortunately brought the team down.

With Briere, maybe he is trying to avoid a career ending injury. I know some of you think that helps the flyers because now we have more cap room, but a healthy Briere would be amazing for this team. I'm sure management would rather he be completely healthy and play the whole season....so they'd rather him heal up for next year, than have something happen to him that would end his career with this team (or any for that matter).

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCxNJ View Post
Not sure about that statement...Forsberg is the type of player that if he thinks he can't give 100%, that he may drag the team down so he didn't play. It was the drama that surrounded the injury that unfortunately brought the team down.

With Briere, maybe he is trying to avoid a career ending injury. I know some of you think that helps the flyers because now we have more cap room, but a healthy Briere would be amazing for this team. I'm sure management would rather he be completely healthy and play the whole season....so they'd rather him heal up for next year, than have something happen to him that would end his career with this team (or any for that matter).
Yeah, what I meant to say, to simplify it...

I don't think after the 1st injury, that Briere was at any time 100% despite making the effort to rejoin the Flyers, which as we've all seen...has led to nowhere and forced the team to make cap related decisions.

That's my frustration.

It has nothing at all to de with the player that Daniel Briere is.