HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Would you give up Pietro for Pronger?

Old
02-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Bluester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
Petro, McKee, 3rd for Pronger and (lw prospect) McMillan.

I would because Pronger is solid for another 4-5 years and after that we're still set on the back end with Cole, Junland, Strachan, K.Berglund, Hellstrom, Fast, Cundari, and Warsofsky.

It would not only help us out now, but we'd gain another LW prospect which we don't have a lot of. (Hjalmarsson and Eller).

It's to the point now where we can move assets to gain stability and that is what Pronger would be.
You move assest to gain YOUNG cost effective stability. JD said where at a place now we can move assests. However I don't think a 34 yr old is what he had in mind. If you want to move assests to go after a defenseman I say J-Bow. However there is no way we part with what would be needed to land him. If you want Pronger you wait to see if he hits FA.

Last edited by WalterSobchak: 02-28-2009 at 06:01 AM. Reason: flaming
Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:45 PM
SteenMachine

Regardless of what we want to let go of, Anaheim is seeking NHL regulars around the same age group of their core players. (relatively young but fully developed in to NHL players) Whitney being a prime example of such requirements.

That means we're looking at the wrong pieces for any trade involving Pronger and if we look at the right ones the trade just becomes a terrible idea to begin with. (i.e. Backes, Cola, etc.)

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:47 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Free Agency in 16 months should be the only topic of coversation when wanting to get Chris back.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 03:06 PM
MissouriBlues2008

Quote:
If the Blues make a trade-deadline run to acquire Anaheim defenseman Chris Pronger, Perron would most likely be part of the deal. ... The Blues have the NHL's best penalty-killing rate (88 percent) since Jan. 1.
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...A?OpenDocument

:sigh:

JD, Checketts, Pleau, Armstrong, please don't do something stupid.

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 03:29 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriBlues2008 View Post
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...A?OpenDocument

:sigh:

JD, Checketts, Pleau, Armstrong, please don't do something stupid.
With the way Perron has been in the doghouse, I hate to say it but it might be time to consider trading David. I don't know the ins and outs or the whys anymore than anyone else and I won't keep playing the same tune.

I am intrigued by this as long as we don't sell the farm.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 03:36 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
With the way Perron has been in the doghouse, I hate to say it but it might be time to consider trading David. I don't know the ins and outs or the whys anymore than anyone else and I won't keep playing the same tune.

I am intrigued by this as long as we don't sell the farm.
I agree if we have to move a young forward I would rather it be Perron than Oshie or Berglund

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 03:42 PM
General Veers

How about Perron stays and Murray leaves after next year. Or is the situation too volatile to last that long? (it's sad this question even needs to be asked)

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 03:59 PM
ejoshie

Oshie (Who is my second favorite) Blue is 22 years old, Perron is only 20

I don't think we have even scratched Perron's full potential yet, and when he is 22 Perron could be off the charts

And Berglund can thank Perron for more than half of his goals came from goal mouth feeds from Perron

I am not saying one is better than the other at all, but at this point we just don't know.

Perron has been the first prospect that the Blues have had success with in years up until Oshie and Berglund

Please do not trade him away JD. It will haunt this franchise for years.

ejoshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 05:55 PM
TerminatorBlue

If the Blues give up E.J(won't happen) Oshie,Petro,Berglund or Peron for Pronger and don't get any youth in return I'll ****ing flip!

I wouldn't give up our 1st either.

Maybe trade a couple of these guys Brewer,Colaiacovo,Steen, McKee, 2nd rounders or even Jackman,but don't touch our youth!!

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Here is a question.

If we could do a sign and trade with Florida for Boumeester, would you be willing to move Pie?

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 06:23 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Here is a question.

If we could do a sign and trade with Florida for Boumeester, would you be willing to move Pie?
I would be interested. Like you said, it would have to be a sign and trade for sure.

The problem I see is how much Bouwmeester is going to ask for...probably ask for the moon in a new contract.

And we have EJ up for RFA after next season. Whatever we pay Jay...you know EJ will ask for almost as much.

Add that to the Salary Cap probably going down in the coming years.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
I would be interested. Like you said, it would have to be a sign and trade for sure.

The problem I see is how much Bouwmeester is going to ask for...probably ask for the moon in a new contract.

And we have EJ up for RFA after next season. Whatever we pay Jay...you know EJ will ask for almost as much.

Add that to the Salary Cap probably going down in the coming years.
Bou is a lot more proven than EJ. I suspect the Blues sign EJ to a light 3 year deal around 4M and then after that he'll get a monster contract.

Old
02-28-2009, 06:30 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Here is a question.

Absolutely. It would essentially be us fast forwarding Pietrangelo's development. Bouwmeester is young enough to be a fixture for us for us on the blue line for a decade.

Old
02-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Blues077

I wouldn't trade Perron straight up for Pronger. Wait a year then go after him. If the Blues do this, it will set our team back. We will go back to just being satisfied with making the playoffs instead of building a powerhouse from within, then buying at the deadline to go for it.

The Blues have to look no further than Atlanta two years ago to see what a foolish thing it would be to buy just to make the playoffs.

I would trade Tkachuk regardless of tonights outcome. Not because I want to see Tkachuk gone, but to increase the chances of our future Stanley Cup run. This is not the year to go for it. If we make the playoffs great, but don't mortgage the future to do it.

Blues077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 06:35 PM
CCBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jedi View Post
Agreed. I think your offer has more balance and reason.
Apparently Anaheim fans don't think so.

CCBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 06:37 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues077 View Post
I wouldn't trade Perron straight up for Pronger. Wait a year then go after him. If the Blues do this, it will set our team back. We will go back to just being satisfied with making the playoffs instead of building a powerhouse from within, then buying at the deadline to go for it.

The Blues have to look no further than Atlanta two years ago to see what a foolish thing it would be to buy just to make the playoffs.

I would trade Tkachuk regardless of tonights outcome. Not because I want to see Tkachuk gone, but to increase the chances of our future Stanley Cup run. This is not the year to go for it. If we make the playoffs great, but don't mortgage the future to do it.
Perron would need to get to an elite forward territory real fast to make a bigger improvement than Pronger would over the rest of his contract The other thing to consider is that Pronger mentoring EJ on the ice could be worth more to the team for the future than forward we could replace somewhat easily.

Old
02-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Blues077

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Perron would need to get to an elite forward territory real fast to make a bigger improvement than Pronger would over the rest of his contract The other thing to consider is that Pronger mentoring EJ on the ice could be worth more to the team for the future than forward we could replace somewhat easily.
Not saying Perron is better or equal to Pronger. But no sense trading the future for a guy that won't be all star level when our team matures into the cup contender in four years or so. Also, why give up something when you can get it for free a year later.

Blues077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Guy Legend

Apparently it was just mentioned on the Hot Stove that the Blues are interested in Pronger. I really hope that we aren't dangling one of key young players or 1st round pick...

Guy Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 08:00 PM
hockey jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Legend View Post
Apparently it was just mentioned on the Hot Stove that the Blues are interested in Pronger. I really hope that we aren't dangling one of key young players or 1st round pick...
I would trade our 2009 1st round pick straight up for Pronger, but I don't think Anaheim would.

hockey jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
I would trade our 2009 1st round pick straight up for Pronger, but I don't think Anaheim would.
I think they would. They won't get huge overpayment from anyone IMO.

Old
02-28-2009, 08:05 PM
TerminatorBlue

I agree with Blues077 by the time we become a real front runner Pronger will be on his way out,I think it would be terrible if we gave up a young talent for a couple of years of an out of prime Pronger.It's not that I don't want Pronger on our team....maybe do a three way with Boston to get Pronger,send Tkachuk+ something else to Boston.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 08:07 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Prongs would be a great mentor for our defensemen, but if it means losing Perron right now, it isn't worth the asking price. If he's willing to come here via FA next offseason, I'd welcome him with open arms.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 08:50 PM
The Russian Tank

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2...ne-update-w-ja

The Russian Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 08:59 PM
hockey jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFan42 View Post
I hope that article is accurate. I like Prongs, but I am worried the temptation of our owners to bring him back and giving good prospects away. Our defense should be outstanding with a core mix of Jackman, Brewer, EJ, Petro, Junland, Polak, Cola, and Cole. Pronger would be nice, but I don't want to give away a prospect.

hockey jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
I hope that article is accurate. I like Prongs, but I am worried the temptation of our owners to bring him back and giving good prospects away. Our defense should be outstanding with a core mix of Jackman, Brewer, EJ, Petro, Junland, Polak, Cola, and Cole. Pronger would be nice, but I don't want to give away a prospect.
How insane would Chara-Pronger be?

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote