HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Would you give up Pietro for Pronger?

Old
02-28-2009, 09:24 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDismyhero View Post
How insane would Chara-Pronger be?
NOT a D coupling I want to face in the final minutes of a game that is for sure.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 09:54 PM
wildone26*

No. Of course Pronger is better than Pietro, most likely better even in his current old age than Pietro will ever be. Still this team realistically isnt in position to do something major right now, so selling out a big piece of their future to bolster their chances the next couple years at best which arent that much anyway makes no sense.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 04:09 AM
Bluester

With what Anahiem seems to be looking for I wouldn't be interested. I hear Perrons name come up. If we trade Perron we will live to regret it. I read somewhere that were barely scratching Perrons surface. That is correct. I forget which poster said it but I completly agree with that assesment.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Robb_K

Pronger for 1 year plus a few games is not worth giving up potential star players,-especially, as the team WITH Pronger, would still not be ready to win The Stanley Cup next season. Their first season they will be ready to win it will be 2010-11. So, if they add Pronger THEN, as a UFA (after McKee's (and, possibly Brewer's contracts are gone)), that would be a lot more effective and painless. I want to hold onto Perron, Pietrangelo, Oshie, Berglund, Backes and Eller, to see what kind of players they can become. One playoff on a weak playoff team, and one season, when The Blues aren't ready isn't worth giving up a potential 15 year Blues' star.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues077 View Post
We have a new leadership of youth. We don't need to upset the new breed of Blues. We need to cultivate players that are brought up as Blues only players. Groomed from draftpicks to live and sacrifice for our Blues. We are building that now.

Petro is the future and Pronger is the past, leave it that way. Unless Anaheim wants Brewer.

Well said.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Veers View Post
How about Perron stays and Murray leaves after next year. Or is the situation too volatile to last that long? (it's sad this question even needs to be asked)

Also well said.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

I put it over on the trade board's thread...and it didn't go over too well with Blues fans, but I really think it would be enough to get Pronger back to STL, and not give up key roster players or blue-chip prospects:

1st 2009, 1st 2010, Polak, Wagner/Woywitka/Junland, Lehtera/Sonne/Palushaj

Polak is upgraded to Pronger, and none of the 6 other guys mentioned are guaranteed to be in the Blues' long-term plans. 2 firsts hurts, but we've got prospect depth and a staff with the talent of finding talent beyond the 1st round that it's not going to hamstring the club long-term. I don't think it's too much to give for a guy that instantly becomes our #1 D-man for the next season and a half, while EJ recovers and transitions into that role.

I really don't think Anaheim would settle for anything less...but if it's still such a 'gross overpayment' I supposed it could be made a 1st and a 2nd rather than 2 firsts...

If it doesn't go down, that's fine too...but that's the most I'd be comfortable giving up. And it's really about the only package I could come up with that protects Petro, Eller, Perron, Oshie, Berglund, Allen, Cole and the rest of the key-youngsters.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 03:19 PM
hockey jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
I put it over on the trade board's thread...and it didn't go over too well with Blues fans, but I really think it would be enough to get Pronger back to STL, and not give up key roster players or blue-chip prospects:

Polak is upgraded to Pronger, and none of the 6 other guys mentioned are guaranteed to be in the Blues' long-term plans. 2 firsts hurts, but we've got prospect depth and a staff with the talent of finding talent beyond the 1st round that it's not going to hamstring the club long-term. I don't think it's too much to give for a guy that instantly becomes our #1 D-man for the next season and a half, while EJ recovers and transitions into that role.

I really don't think Anaheim would settle for anything less...but if it's still such a 'gross overpayment' I supposed it could be made a 1st and a 2nd rather than 2 firsts...

If it doesn't go down, that's fine too...but that's the most I'd be comfortable giving up. And it's really about the only package I could come up with that protects Petro, Eller, Perron, Oshie, Berglund, Allen, Cole and the rest of the key-youngsters.
I could live with your proposal more than any other one I've seen. If you can make it happen, go ahead and pull the trigger. I will nominate you for assistant GM. They are getting 2 first rounders, a good young defenseman and a good prospect. We are taking on payroll and getting 1+ year of usage from an effective, but aging player.

hockey jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 04:09 PM
General Veers

That's still too much to give up for Prongs, imo. The only redeeming factor is he's basically guaranteed to sign a new multi-year deal here.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Bluester

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Veers View Post
That's still too much to give up for Prongs, imo. The only redeeming factor is he's basically guaranteed to sign a new multi-year deal here.
Agreed, this is a draft I want to be a part of in the first round. I don't think our 2009 first is going anywhere...Atleast I hope it isn't.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:07 PM
MissouriBlues2008

Quote:
The Blues wouldn’t even consider making such a move if they didn’t feel they could re-sign Pronger to a three or four year extension.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-...taying/5/19712

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:52 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I don't think Pietro for Pronger either, but I think its unwise to think he'll be there to be signed in UFA in a year. I think he will be traded and signed to an extension before it gets to that point.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:42 AM
bustoff

No way..........

bustoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Oshie97

No I would like to keep Pie. I'm worried that JD might overpay to get Pronger back. This management team has always looked for ways to get the casual fan back, trading for Pronger would definitely look attractive to them in that aspect.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:01 PM
barnburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post

Polak can't go. Put Petro or Perron in his place, but
I still don't see it happening.
Wagner/Woywitka are so much cannon fodder.
Junland is not yet anything but a maybe, same with the rest.
Burke will get better offers from other teams.
Plus, I'm totally against giving away two first round draft choices.

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner View Post
Polak can't go. Put Petro or Perron in his place, but
I still don't see it happening.
Wagner/Woywitka are so much cannon fodder.
Junland is not yet anything but a maybe, same with the rest.
Burke will get better offers from other teams.
Plus, I'm totally against giving away two first round draft choices.
He will, but not for Pronger

And I'll be honest, I've barely seen Pietrangelo ever play. But I wouldn't do this, the Blues have a huge youth movement going on, and barring injury I think Pietrangelo will be a stud for years to come. There is no guarantee Pronger will sign an extension, and even if he does, he is simply too old. IMO the Blues are not close enough to the cup, or desperate enough, to warrant trading away the future for an aging vet - especially one they may only have for a year or so. The 1st rounder is also probably a bad idea because of how deep this draft is said to be.

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 02:36 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

What about something like: Perron/Sonne/1st/2nd?

Quote:
2. Chris Pronger to St. Louis for David Perron, Brett Sonne, a 2009 1st round selection, and a 2010 1st round selection (conditional depending on whether the Blues make the post-season)

Pronger (and his wife) return home to St. Louis. The Blues are in contention this season and want to reward their fans by showing they are committed to winning soon. Pronger will sign an extension with St. Louis next season and finish his career as a Blue. In return, the Ducks get two great offensive prospects in Perron and Sonne, and two very good picks. Anaheim wants Alex Pietrangelo but the Blues balk. Imagine a pairing of Pronger and Erik Johnson for the next two or three seasons! Not to mention depth with the likes of Roman Polak, Barret Jackman, and the aforementioned Pietrangelo. There are better fits for Pronger (Boston being one), but this deal makes so much sense for reasons above and beyond just the on ice product.
http://www.dobberhockey.com/componen.../limitstart,0/

Last edited by anguscertified: 03-02-2009 at 04:22 PM.
anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Perron, Sonne and this year's 1st? Maybe - the sticking point is whether I'd give this year's 1st.

Perron, Sonne, this year's 1st and next year's 1st? No way in hell.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
What about something like: Perron/Sonne/1st/2nd?

http://www.dobberhockey.com/componen.../limitstart,0/
Change Perron to Pietrangelo and then we'll talk.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Market Street Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
Absolutely not, i'd give up Perron over Pietrangelo every day of the week.

Market Street Heroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 05:56 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Perron, Sonne and this year's 1st? Maybe - the sticking point is whether I'd give this year's 1st.

Perron, Sonne, this year's 1st and next year's 1st? No way in hell.
Conditional of course. And it could very well be too much, these were just some ideas I bounced around. I tried to add significant value (Perron and Sonne) that are not integral to the Blues (Oshie, Pietrangelo, Eller).

I was thinking about including McClemment, who the Ducks could use to replace some of their UFA forwards.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:03 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
What?!

I don't want to part with Perron either, but I think of the first tier prospects he's the one I would first trade away.

But we'd have to be seeing someone unique that makes the Blues better in a fundamental way in order to move David. I think a guy like Pronger is probably like that. I'd prefer to get him some other way.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Gaels

Is there a reason that Ian Cole has not been named yet? What about Sonne, Cole, Wagner (or one of the 4 guys around his age and quality that we have) a first in 09 and a 2nd in 2010?

I would much rather part with cole. I would have to cry myself to sleep if Perron was traded...

Gaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Gaels

Maybe an Ian Schultz or someone else upfront as well...

Gaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
What?!

I don't want to part with Perron either, but I think of the first tier prospects he's the one I would first trade away.

But we'd have to be seeing someone unique that makes the Blues better in a fundamental way in order to move David. I think a guy like Pronger is probably like that. I'd prefer to get him some other way.
We have a lot more depth on D than we do LW. I'd much rather keep Perron and move Pietrangelo for Pronger as Pronger would fill his spot.

Strickland said that if the Blues don't feel they could resign him, they wouldn't even bother.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote