HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Brian Burke

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2004, 03:55 AM
Leaf Lander

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Brian Burke

What are your thoughts abouttheway he has handled the situation on behalf of the Canucks?

I have been very impressed with what I haveseen thus far!

Stay tuned for more!!!!!

Thumbs up Brian!

.........any thoughts opinions quotes about Brian Burke?

Old
03-12-2004, 04:00 AM
NJ_Devil_Boy

vCash: 560
I enjoy Brian Burke press conferences. He tells it like it is and that is quite refreshing compared to some other guys. It also makes for some good TV/news because you never know what Burke will say on that given day. :p

Old
03-12-2004, 04:10 AM
ArtG

I really hope ownership re-signs this guy!

Here's a thread from the Canucks forum:
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=61151

Old
03-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
I think Burke was horrible in press conference... Blaming the media for everything and clame that everything Crawford said was ok...

Shamefull... no wonder the americans media react the way the do.

It's because of those clown (Burke Clark Quinn Cherry and friends) that the NHL lost his chance to become a real major sports in the 90'S.

oh wait i forgot, it's probably only the euro's and french guys problems, English North-Americans LOVES defensive and grit hockey!
the "great" attendances everywhere prove it.

Old
03-12-2004, 10:01 AM
ZombieMatt

"It's because of those clown (Burke Clark Quinn Cherry and friends) that the NHL lost his chance to become a real major sports in the 90'S. "

First of all, that sentence barely makes any sense at all.

Secondly, yeah, all english North Americans are completely in support of hooking, clutching and grabbing. And every team with an english Canadian GM plays the trap.

And Brian Burke doesn't have Europeans on his team. He obviously has no respect for European players. Hell, half of Sweden plays for the Canucks.

This post is ridiculous in my eyes.

What was the most widely recognzied most entertaining game of the year? Ottawa/Philadelphia.

Old
03-12-2004, 10:10 AM
Beatnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountie

What was the most widely recognzied most entertaining game of the year? Ottawa/Philadelphia.
ok. But i'll stand to my opinion : As long as violence is the more popular/encouraged asset of a team sports it won't ever be serious.

Old
03-12-2004, 10:16 AM
gb701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountie
[B]"What was the most widely recognzied most entertaining game of the year? Ottawa/Philadelphia.
You were doing fine...and then got stupid.

If the Ottawa/Phillie fiasco is the best this league has to offer in terms of entertainment, time to literally shut her down and start over.

It is absolutely amazing that when everyone that actually has influence in this situation, from the PM to the papers to former players and coaches to the League, to Hockey Canada, to the provincial bodies that run minor hockey are ALL saying the same thing...CLEAN UP THE GAME OR ELSE...there are still some "fans" who think the solution is more fighting. Unbelievable.

The only good news is that nobody with real power is listening to this crap.

Even Burke doesn't go this far - he is just standing up for his player. While I might not agree with him on the media rant, I respect him for that.

Old
03-12-2004, 11:11 AM
Reign Nateo

The reason I like Burke is that he will call a spade a spade, and he only cares about the fans of Vancouver. He cares about this team, its fans, and its players and that is all that matters to him. He could care less what the rest of the league thinks. I really hope he is back in Vancouver for the next 10 seasons.

Old
03-12-2004, 11:23 AM
Beatnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
The reason I like Burke is that he will call a spade a spade, and he only cares about the fans of Vancouver. He cares about this team, its fans, and its players and that is all that matters to him. He could care less what the rest of the league thinks. I really hope he is back in Vancouver for the next 10 seasons.
that's exactly why i hate him!

the game is more important than one (or 10) teams to me. I hope some owner will take back the control of the league.

Old
03-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
I thought it was a pathetic the way he called this "a mistake". It was not a mistake. It was a vicious assault. At least have the balls to acknowledge that or keep quiet.

I didn't like way he claimed Moore "could be skating in four weeks'' . He has no idea when Steve Moore will start skating and to claim he does is pure nonsense. This is a best case scenario based on guesses by someone who never met Moore and certainly didn't diagnose him. To claim this to lessen the seriousness of Bertuzzis actions is not only dishonest, it is pathetic.

Old
03-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
I thought it was a pathetic the way he called this "a mistake". It was not a mistake. It was a vicious assault. At least have the balls to acknowledge that or keep quiet.
mis·take
n.
An error or fault resulting from defective judgment, deficient knowledge, or carelessness

Old
03-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas_Bert_Morr
mis·take
n.
An error or fault resulting from defective judgment, deficient knowledge, or carelessness
Main Entry: vi·cious

a : dangerously aggressive : SAVAGE <a vicious dog> b : marked by violence or ferocity

Main Entry: as·sault

a : a violent physical or verbal attack

You were saying?

Old
03-12-2004, 11:50 AM
PEli*

I think Brian Burke is an outstanding GM in terms of dealing with the media. Probably the best. I don't think there are any other GMs that handle the media in a crass AND respectful way. Clarke is a really good interview but Burke is funny as hell.

He's handled this the way he should have and that's no surprise to me. Burke is focused on the Canucks and their fans. That's the way it should be.

Old
03-12-2004, 11:51 AM
dakota

Quote:

I didn't like way he claimed Moore "could be skating in four weeks'' . He has no idea when Steve Moore will start skating and to claim he does is pure nonsense. This is a best case scenario based on guesses by someone who never met Moore and certainly didn't diagnose him. To claim this to lessen the seriousness of Bertuzzis actions is not only dishonest, it is pathetic.
First off, YOU have no idea when Steve Moore will be skating as well... and I am sure BURKE has more information on it then you do (aside form your information from the MEDIA - hint hint hint.)

Secondly, YOU come off as this holier than though "guy" that everyone is talking about - a "vicious assault" lol give me a break - have you ever played hockey? Listen to some of the hockey players comments and the hockey analysts comments that know hockey and dont need to sell newspapers (ie, bob mackenzi, the guy from thescore...).

Thirdly, BURKE is smart, he is moving the media attention from Bertuzzi to Himself so that he gets people like YOU to read about him instead of Bertuzzi.

Lastly, you need to cool off... think about things for a bit... and if someone disagrees with you do not attack them think about it and discuss it but you come off very much like a bully - in a way similar to burke... we can agree to disagree but i think burke is taking some of the heat by making the media start talking about him and his comments which is very smart and the sign of a great leader.

Old
03-12-2004, 11:55 AM
ThisYearsModel

Burke and bertuzzi deserve each other. Burke has a lot of room to talk, especially because he used to have Campbell's job. He would not have handled it any differently. All this BS about what a great guy Bertuzzi is is laughable. Everyone in the NHL knows he is cheap and a hothead. The latest to comment on that aspect is Sean Avery of the Kings in today's LA Times. He is a multiple suspension offender. Burke is lucky that he and Crawford did not also receive suspensions. IMO, they should have. Bertuzzi should audition for a spot on a soap opera after that pathetic performance and the blatant "I did not mean to hurt you" BS.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota
First off, YOU have no idea when Steve Moore will be skating as well... and I am sure BURKE has more information on it then you do (aside form your information from the MEDIA - hint hint hint.)

Secondly, YOU come off as this holier than though "guy" that everyone is talking about - a "vicious assault" lol give me a break - have you ever played hockey? Listen to some of the hockey players comments and the hockey analysts comments that know hockey and dont need to sell newspapers (ie, bob mackenzi, the guy from thescore...).

Thirdly, BURKE is smart, he is moving the media attention from Bertuzzi to Himself so that he gets people like YOU to read about him instead of Bertuzzi.

Lastly, you need to cool off... think about things for a bit... and if someone disagrees with you do not attack them think about it and discuss it but you come off very much like a bully - in a way similar to burke... we can agree to disagree but i think burke is taking some of the heat by making the media start talking about him and his comments which is very smart and the sign of a great leader.
Firstly,You are completely correct that I don't know when Steve Moore will be skating. Which is why I don't make any public predictions about it. Brian Burke do. So if anyone has any information from any physician that has examined Moore which indicates Moore could be skating in 4 weeks, I love to see it. Until such material surfaces - Burke is a liar. Simple as that. (hint: the treating doctors at the hospital released a press statement where they made no predictions as to Moores recovery whatsoever).

Secondly, you come off as a romantic when it comes to violence. A guy that would rather call a brutal assault "a friendly tap" or "a mistake" because hey, thats what we jolly good hockey people do.

Thirdly, Burkes stupid comments only draw even more attention to Bertuzzi.

Lastly, I attack stupid statements. If posters drop the charade where they invent facts or allow their bias to downplay anything they won't have any problem with me. Am I going to go after people who claim stuff they can't back up? You bet.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:03 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
You must be a 'Nuck fan.

I have read more then a few quotes from players, coaches, and GMs. All are appalled and all say it was a horrible thing to do and has no place in the game of hockey.

As for Burke, in some ways he is right. Mainstream media doesn't pay attention to hockey unless something like this happens. Then all of the experts come out (experts who have never played the game and don't attend them) who are only there because of the incendent. Two weeks from now, it will be out of the media and will only resurface if Nucks meet the Aves in the playoffs, Berts hearing next year, and/or first game between the two.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:03 PM
dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel
Burke and bertuzzi deserve each other. Burke has a lot of room to talk, especially because he used to have Campbell's job. He would not have handled it any differently. All this BS about what a great guy Bertuzzi is is laughable. Everyone in the NHL knows he is cheap and a hothead. The latest to comment on that aspect is Sean Avery of the Kings in today's LA Times. He is a multiple suspension offender. Burke is lucky that he and Crawford did not also receive suspensions. IMO, they should have. Bertuzzi should audition for a spot on a soap opera after that pathetic performance and the blatant "I did not mean to hurt you" BS.
He has never been suspended for violence (supplementary discipline) in the NHL... so this just shows you how you have been presented mis information by... you guessed it the MEDIA... it is not your fault though - you are just getting your information from other people... reporters...this is the problem with this whole situation not only in the US but north of the border as well by a few select people from the newspapers. THey are just doing their jobs i might add... to sell Newspapers and get you to read them....

Old
03-12-2004, 12:10 PM
dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
You must be a 'Nuck fan.

I have read more then a few quotes from players, coaches, and GMs. All are appalled and all say it was a horrible thing to do and has no place in the game of hockey.

As for Burke, in some ways he is right. Mainstream media doesn't pay attention to hockey unless something like this happens. Then all of the experts come out (experts who have never played the game and don't attend them) who are only there because of the incendent. Two weeks from now, it will be out of the media and will only resurface if Nucks meet the Aves in the playoffs, Berts hearing next year, and/or first game between the two.
Sure i am a NUCKS fan and i think he should be suspended... but there are equal number of players saying that the supension is pretty HARSH... there is no debate by me on the incident... there might be debate by me on the severity of the suspension...

We are being duped a bit by the media (i mean when "The View" is commenting on this and people are believing these women - comon Barbara Walters). But I hope most KNOW this and can see how they sensational things to sell newspapers. I think BURKE is doing an admirable job - my comments were just aimed at your comments on BURKE - and i think he knows he will take some flak for his comments and this is what he wants... i hope you can see this now...

but hey we are all hockey fans and I dont like people believing the media is the authrority on everything... if we did we would belive hockey is like roller derby... and we as hockey fans know that hockey is not and that it is a great sport...

Old
03-12-2004, 12:33 PM
I in the Eye

I think Burke's press conference did what he intended to do...

Burke said (something like) if he can deflect even 1% of the attention off of Bertuzzi onto himself he would...

Well, his press conference did it... People are debating Burke's press conference and his ability as a GM... When people spend their time doing this, they are leaving Bertuzzi alone...

I think Burke has done a great job deflecting a little bit of attention away from Bert... Like Burke or not, this was a very strategic move...

I think Burke is a hot-head and I cringe when I hear some of the things he says to the media (including what I heard in the press conference - I didn't agree with some of the things he said, nor the way he said it)... But I am impressed by Burke for standing along side Bertuzzi... I think he really cares for his players... Burke could have distanced himself from the whole thing and protected his own a** (after all, his contract is up after the year)... Instead, he stands right beside Bert in his hour of need...

I'm sure some people are disgusted with Burke now along with Bertuzzi... But the truth is, everyone in this world has made (or will one day make) at least one horrible mistake... It's part of the limitation of being human... When that day comes, you better hope that those around you are as supporting and willing to stand beside you in your hour of need... even if it makes them look bad in the process...

Old
03-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Sure i am a NUCKS fan and i think he should be suspended... but there are equal number of players saying that the supension is pretty HARSH... there is no debate by me on the incident... there might be debate by me on the severity of the suspension...
Pretty harsh, but not unfair.

I haven't said anything negative about Burke. He is doing what he needs to be doing (standing by his player). To me, at least he is campaigning for next season, and Berts return that is yet to be determined.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Firstly,You are completely correct that I don't know when Steve Moore will be skating. Which is why I don't make any public predictions about it. Brian Burke do. So if anyone has any information from any physician that has examined Moore which indicates Moore could be skating in 4 weeks, I love to see it. Until such material surfaces - Burke is a liar. Simple as that. (hint: the treating doctors at the hospital released a press statement where they made no predictions as to Moores recovery whatsoever).
Vancouver Sun's Ian MacIntyre (probobly the best beat writer in Vancouver) is reporting that Steve Moore could be back skating in 4 - 6 weeks (though he didn't say if this meant practices or games).

Old
03-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Vancouver Sun's Ian MacIntyre (probobly the best beat writer in Vancouver) is reporting that Steve Moore could be back skating in 4 - 6 weeks (though he didn't say if this meant practices or games).
First he is going to have to walk. And the key here is "Could". Noone knows, unless you have a crystal ball, when/if Moore will be able to return to the game. A bit premature to estimate, IMO.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:51 PM
JOCA

Send a message via ICQ to JOCA Send a message via AIM to JOCA
I thought Burke did a great job yesterday. He stood behind Bert and the whole organization.

I also thought that trying to deflect the attenion off of Bert was smart thing to do.

He also did this in the playoffs a few years ago after the Wings had just tied the series up at 2. He strongly criticized the officials and deflected all the attention from him teams poor play in games 3 and 4, onto himself. After that not many people in media were asking questions to Canucks players about their poor play but rather were to be busy writing about Brian Burke and how he was such a whining baby. This howver did not work as we all know the Canucks ended up losing the series 4-2 but it was in my mind a clever thing to do.

The Bertuzzi incident has attracted far more attenion then the Canucks poor play a few years ago and this stunt probably won't work as well but it's worth a shot because people are going to be talking about the Bertuzzi-Moore incident for a long time to come.

I'm going to be rather disappointed if McCaw and company don't bring this guy back. It will be a very big mistake if they don't.

Old
03-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Johnny On the Spot

``If I can take even one per cent of the blame off Todd's shoulders, I'll take it all, all of it,''

Burke said any suggestion coach Marc Crawford acted inappropriately `is horribly unjust.''

These statements (of auguing the organisations fault) in the matter are lies made to deflect more blame on Bertuzzi and that Crawford (and the team)are innocent. I don't think that he told Bertuzzi personally to go out and get him but the league saw fit to fine the team 1/4 of a mill. because they think there was no discouragement to curbe the situation. We know that to the press threats were implied, it is not far fetched to think that behind closed doors of the dressing room, the threats were blatent and many.

Closed Thread