HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Brian Burke

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Jobu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
Firstly,You are completely correct that I don't know when Steve Moore will be skating. Which is why I don't make any public predictions about it. Brian Burke do. So if anyone has any information from any physician that has examined Moore which indicates Moore could be skating in 4 weeks, I love to see it. Until such material surfaces - Burke is a liar. Simple as that. (hint: the treating doctors at the hospital released a press statement where they made no predictions as to Moores recovery whatsoever).

Secondly, you come off as a romantic when it comes to violence. A guy that would rather call a brutal assault "a friendly tap" or "a mistake" because hey, thats what we jolly good hockey people do.

Thirdly, Burkes stupid comments only draw even more attention to Bertuzzi.

Lastly, I attack stupid statements. If posters drop the charade where they invent facts or allow their bias to downplay anything they won't have any problem with me. Am I going to go after people who claim stuff they can't back up? You bet.
Tony Gallagher reported in his column today that Moore is expected to make a full recovery within 4-6 weeks.

As it happens, I also know the attending neurosurgeon at VGH where Moore was treated. Apparently there was a risk to Moore (whose uncle is apparently a doctor and flew in to liase) of a stroke or arterial damage, and he had a battery of tests to confirm or rule them out (including an angiogram). There was no further damage, and the conclusion was that this is the sort of injury - leaving aside the concussion - that is not at all serious in terms of recovery time (4-6 weeks being the period).

Old
03-12-2004, 03:39 PM
dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu
Tony Gallagher reported in his column today that Moore is expected to make a full recovery within 4-6 weeks.

As it happens, I also know the attending neurosurgeon at VGH where Moore was treated. Apparently there was a risk to Moore (whose uncle is apparently a doctor and flew in to liase) of a stroke or arterial damage, and he had a battery of tests to confirm or rule them out (including an angiogram). There was no further damage, and the conclusion was that this is the sort of injury - leaving aside the concussion - that is not at all serious in terms of recovery time (4-6 weeks being the period).
Well i dont see people reporting this as well (if its true) and Burke even challenged reporters to make that front page news ... the fact that the recovery of the incident "could" be 4-6 weeks... im sure in 4-6 weeks this will be back page news and moore will be skating in practice with the team... and I hope he does... BUT IF HE DOES is it too much to ask the NHL to re-enstate BERTUZZI earlier? Again this is a hypothetical question... it comes back to the suspension being weighted heavily on the injury to the player which in this case it clearly was.... not that there is anything wrong with that but if the situation changes, does the suspension?

Old
03-12-2004, 03:49 PM
ZombieMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb701
You were doing fine...and then got stupid.

If the Ottawa/Phillie fiasco is the best this league has to offer in terms of entertainment, time to literally shut her down and start over.

It is absolutely amazing that when everyone that actually has influence in this situation, from the PM to the papers to former players and coaches to the League, to Hockey Canada, to the provincial bodies that run minor hockey are ALL saying the same thing...CLEAN UP THE GAME OR ELSE...there are still some "fans" who think the solution is more fighting. Unbelievable.

The only good news is that nobody with real power is listening to this crap.

Even Burke doesn't go this far - he is just standing up for his player. While I might not agree with him on the media rant, I respect him for that.
I said nothing but my personal views. I'm just echoing the OVER-WHELMING enthusiasm the Ottawa-Philly game was met with by HF board members. You can't deny that a vast majority of posters had positive things to say abotu the game. People who watched that were entertained.

I'm not saying more fighting is the way to go, but all this "clean the game up" and "stop fighting" stuff is just garbage.

Hockey fans and players themself support fighting in the game.

The majority of those crying for the end of fighting are bleeding heart activists who see a few clips on their evening news and decide that they need something new to whine and moan about.

If HOCKEY FANS feel that they want fighting out of the game, then I support that movement. But until FANS OF THE GAME and those who PLAY THE GAME and not soccer moms start calling for the end of fighting, this whole argument holds no merit with me.

Old
03-12-2004, 03:54 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota
Well i dont see people reporting this as well (if its true) and Burke even challenged reporters to make that front page news ... the fact that the recovery of the incident "could" be 4-6 weeks... im sure in 4-6 weeks this will be back page news and moore will be skating in practice with the team... and I hope he does... BUT IF HE DOES is it too much to ask the NHL to re-enstate BERTUZZI earlier? Again this is a hypothetical question... it comes back to the suspension being weighted heavily on the injury to the player which in this case it clearly was.... not that there is anything wrong with that but if the situation changes, does the suspension?
Considering Bertuzzi's actions could have generated results that were much worse, NO. If equity in results is what you believe is true justice then Bertuzzi should be in a neck brace sitting in a hospital for the duration of Steve Moore's attendance. Then they can both skate out on the ice at the same time. Moore's recovery window should be irrespective of Bertuzzi's suspension. On the other side of the coin, if it takes Steve Moore two years to play hockey again should Bertuzzi sit out that long? I don't believe so and I think Bertuzzi got off easy considering that Moore's injury could have been much worse and hockey is realing from negitive press.

Old
03-12-2004, 03:55 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountie
If HOCKEY FANS feel that they want fighting out of the game, then I support that movement. But until FANS OF THE GAME and those who PLAY THE GAME and not soccer moms start calling for the end of fighting, this whole argument holds no merit with me.
That's one problem. The other problem is that the NHL wants to attract those non-hockey fans to the game. Fighting allegedly scares them away, which is why the instigator rule was introduced in the first place. Without new fans, you don't make more money. And we all know what the NHL wants...

Old
03-12-2004, 04:05 PM
rye&ginger

Moore's concussion is not seen to be serious, and the fractures will heal within 4 weeks or so. Its not out of line to suggest he'll be skating by then as this is the expected prognosis for such an injury.

Old
03-12-2004, 04:06 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
Considering Bertuzzi's actions could have generated results that were much worse, NO. If equity in results is what you believe is true justice then Bertuzzi should be in a neck brace sitting in a hospital for the duration of Steve Moore's attendance. Then they can both skate out on the ice at the same time. Moore's recovery window should be irrespective of Bertuzzi's suspension. On the other side of the coin, if it takes Steve Moore two years to play hockey again should Bertuzzi sit out that long? I don't believe so and I think Bertuzzi got off easy considering that Moore's injury could have been much worse and hockey is realing from negitive press.
But the injury wasnt worse, and if that logic would be applied to other incidents, Lemieux would have got more than 2 games a few years ago. Consider the total picutre.

Old
03-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu

Yes, I am aware that Vancouver beat writers and Brian Burke has been reporting that Moore could return in 4-6 weeks. That doesn't make it a fact. Until someone who has diagnosed Moore makes a prediction (the actual person) it is unsubstantiated. Of course Vancouver media will predict the shortest recovery possible. It is their job to make everything as rosey for the Canucks as possible. It's what their readers want to read.

And there are apparantly a lot of people who know doctors who have treated Moore. I have read probably 10 accounts that suggest that. Either the doctors at Vancouver hospitals are morons that don't mind risking their jobs, or they aren't. Someone on a forum suggesting they are close friends with the treating physicians doesn't have all that much weight with me.

I also hear a lot of silly suggestions that Lacroix somehow masterminded a large scale conspiracy to make Moores injuries seem worse. That is qualified nonsense. I guess it makes sense in the warped minds of gullible fans that Lacroix is the channel through which all medical information has passed but to any sane person it is obvious that isn't true.

Old
03-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
First off, YOU have no idea when Steve Moore will be skating as well... and I am sure BURKE has more information on it then you do (aside form your information from the MEDIA - hint hint hint.)

Secondly, YOU come off as this holier than though "guy" that everyone is talking about - a "vicious assault" lol give me a break - have you ever played hockey? Listen to some of the hockey players comments and the hockey analysts comments that know hockey and dont need to sell newspapers (ie, bob mackenzi, the guy from thescore...).

Thirdly, BURKE is smart, he is moving the media attention from Bertuzzi to Himself so that he gets people like YOU to read about him instead of Bertuzzi.

Lastly, you need to cool off... think about things for a bit... and if someone disagrees with you do not attack them think about it and discuss it but you come off very much like a bully - in a way similar to burke... we can agree to disagree but i think burke is taking some of the heat by making the media start talking about him and his comments which is very smart and the sign of a great leader.
If it's smart to act like an ass, the Burke sure is smart!

IMO, Burke looks like a spoiled brat crying because he got punished. The Canucks are going to pay the price for Bertuzzi's completely snapping, and I agree with you that Burke is trying to absorb the heat. I just think that Lacroix handled the entire situation in a much more proffessional manner.

To call this a mistake is a frigging joke. Forgetting to call someone back is a mistake. Assaulting someone from behind, knocking them unconcious, and fracturing vertebrae is a hell of a lot more than a mistake.

If that wasn't a "viscious assault" what the hell was it? I've played hockey, and I sure never jumped anyone from behind, knocked him unconscious, and then said I didn't mean to hurt him. You Bertuzzi apoligists just frigging amaze me. I know the media has blown this whole thing WAY, WAY, WAY out of proportion, but I just don't see how you can in any way defend Bertuzzi.

Old
03-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan

IMO, Burke looks like a spoiled brat crying because he got punished. The Canucks are going to pay the price for Bertuzzi's completely snapping, and I agree with you that Burke is trying to absorb the heat. I just think that Lacroix handled the entire situation in a much more proffessional manner.

To call this a mistake is a frigging joke. Forgetting to call someone back is a mistake. Assaulting someone from behind, knocking them unconcious, and fracturing vertebrae is a hell of a lot more than a mistake.

If that wasn't a "viscious assault" what the hell was it? I've played hockey, and I sure never jumped anyone from behind, knocked him unconscious, and then said I didn't mean to hurt him. You Bertuzzi apoligists just frigging amaze me. I know the media has blown this whole thing WAY, WAY, WAY out of proportion, but I just don't see how you can in any way defend Bertuzzi.
Anybody wanna bet "Damn, Maybe I shouldn't have hit Naslund like that." has crossed Steve Moore's mind since ?

And yes, it is a mistake.

Old
03-12-2004, 04:10 PM
dakota

Quote:
Firstly,You are completely correct that I don't know when Steve Moore will be skating. Which is why I don't make any public predictions about it. Brian Burke do. So if anyone has any information from any physician that has examined Moore which indicates Moore could be skating in 4 weeks, I love to see it. Until such material surfaces - Burke is a liar. Simple as that. (hint: the treating doctors at the hospital released a press statement where they made no predictions as to Moores recovery whatsoever).
Good, I am glad you admitted that. But the media is/was making it out to seem like this guys career was over... I will ask YOU this: If he is skating in 4-6 weeks will you AGREE that Bertuzzi should be re-enstated?

Quote:
Secondly, you come off as a romantic when it comes to violence. A guy that would rather call a brutal assault "a friendly tap" or "a mistake" because hey, thats what we jolly good hockey people do.
Where did I romanticize anything? Stick to the facts like you SAY you do... I stated that several players felt the penalty was severe... they never said the incident wasnt bad... and that is the difference. I agree the incident was horrible... but the penalty was too severe imo.

Quote:
Thirdly, Burkes stupid comments only draw even more attention to Bertuzzi.
Disagree entirely... here in Ottawa the radio stations here were talking all day about Burkes comments ripping apart the media... people were calling Burke a hothead, etc., the focus of their anger was on Burke
Quote:
Lastly, I attack stupid statements. If posters drop the charade where they invent facts or allow their bias to downplay anything they won't have any problem with me. Am I going to go after people who claim stuff they can't back up? You bet.
You should start attacking some of the things you have said... do a search on some of your posts and re-read them. These boards are for discussion and opinions... if i have an opinion on something you should not attack people who have differing opinions. Tell me how you come to YOUR opinion and why mine is different from yours but dont attack it. Dont become a SLAVE to YOUR opinion... or anyone elses opinion (Media).

Nobody is downplaying the bertuzzi "sucker punch". Most are discussing the results of the sucker punch (neck) and weather that is what was intended, and if that is the reason for the lengthy suspension.. the longest ever in the NHL potentially.

Old
03-12-2004, 04:12 PM
gb701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountie
I said nothing but my personal views. I'm just echoing the OVER-WHELMING enthusiasm the Ottawa-Philly game was met with by HF board members. You can't deny that a vast majority of posters had positive things to say abotu the game. People who watched that were entertained.

I'm not saying more fighting is the way to go, but all this "clean the game up" and "stop fighting" stuff is just garbage.

Hockey fans and players themself support fighting in the game.

The majority of those crying for the end of fighting are bleeding heart activists who see a few clips on their evening news and decide that they need something new to whine and moan about.

We will have to agree to disagree.

1. I am a hockey player, a coach and a fan. I have sons playing Junior hockey, one with potential to play for money somewhere. I had season tickets from 1984-1989, and since then have gradually reduced the number of games I go to because the quality of the hockey has gone steadily down, and because I have other things to do. I have been in and around the game all my life, and am friends with a number of owners behinds three NHL teams, and quite a few retired and still active players. Some of them were "enforcer" types when they played, and they disagree with me but not in the terms that you raise. I am not a bleeding heart activist, nor am I a soccer mom. I am not "whining".

2. I also fully understand that there are fans who genuinely like and get excited out of watching a couple of semi-skilled gorillas slide around the ice and try to whale on each other. The only leagues in the WORLD who allow this are the NHL, the semi-pros and the CHA and other Junior leagues in Canada. The question is whether it is necessary that this continues to be the case.

3. You are right - you said your personal views. I respect that - but you then go on to presume to tell everyone what "real" hockey fans want. Sorry - first of all, I don't think you have any idea what "real" hockey fans want, and second, I am not sure that the fans are the issue here. This whole issue crosses over to what is legal, and what is good business, and what is safe, and what is responsible. As another enlightened poster said, he sees the game as being like "Gladiator" with some lions and bears on the ice, and the more blood the better. He is a fan - fortunately nobody cares what he likes.

4. The people who enjoyed the crap in the Ottawa/Philly game are the same people who think Bert was justified in trying to take Moore out of the game - and fortunately, the League, most owners and managers, and everyone else with authority disagrees.

Like I have said elsewhere, the real question that should be debated is what rules will work if enforced properly, and how to enforce them without destroying the game entirely. I think there are some obvious steps that can be taken - getting rid of the instigator rule and encouraging line brawls are not among them.

Old
03-12-2004, 04:18 PM
dakota

Quote:
I am just going by what the NHL said was the main reason for the lengthy suspension... and it is a lengthy susepension. they said injury was a major factor in the length... i mean johnson got in the teens for his...

as far as Bertuzzi wearing a neck brace sitting in a hospital... cmon I am trying to be serious here.

Old
03-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Breck Av

Quote:

Exactly.

Monday night when this happened no one knew Moore had broken vertebrae yet the majority of people were still sickened and calling for all sorts of lavish suspensions.

Burke is doing the right thing in trying to take the pressure off Bertuzzi and putting it on himself but he shouldn't have said a few things, especially about Moore's injury being not that bad. That just makes him look a jack.. er donkey trying to make Bert the victim.

Old
03-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Good, I am glad you admitted that. But the media is/was making it out to seem like this guys career was over... I will ask YOU this: If he is skating in 4-6 weeks will you AGREE that Bertuzzi should be re-enstated?
No, I don't agree he should be reinstated. He got the penalty he deserved for a vicious premeditated assault. It doesn't matter if Moore next week record a jazz album as far as I am concerned.

Quote:
Where did I romanticize anything? Stick to the facts like you SAY you do... I stated that several players felt the penalty was severe... they never said the incident wasnt bad... and that is the difference. I agree the incident was horrible... but the penalty was too severe imo.
You said "a "vicious assault" lol give me a break - have you ever played hockey?" which I interpreted as you suggesting this kind of attack had a natural place in hockey, and seemed to take it very lightly. That you now seem to agree the assault is bad is encouraging.

Quote:
Disagree entirely... here in Ottawa the radio stations here were talking all day about Burkes comments ripping apart the media... people were calling Burke a hothead, etc., the focus of their anger was on Burke
When they are talking about Burke in this matter, they are still talking about the Bertuzzi incident. When they start talking about Burkes trades or Burkes future, I can agree he has managed to deflect anything. But when they are talking about what Burke is doing as part of the Bertuzzi incident, it's still about Bertuzzi.

Quote:
You should start attacking some of the things you have said... do a search on some of your posts and re-read them. These boards are for discussion and opinions... if i have an opinion on something you should not attack people who have differing opinions. Tell me how you come to YOUR opinion and why mine is different from yours but dont attack it. Dont become a SLAVE to YOUR opinion... or anyone elses opinion (Media).

Nobody is downplaying the bertuzzi "sucker punch". Most are discussing the results of the sucker punch (neck) and weather that is what was intended, and if that is the reason for the lengthy suspension.. the longest ever in the NHL potentially.
Way too vague to me. If you feel I have said anything that is untrue, point it out to me. But saying "man, you have been wrong. find your errors yourself" indicates to me that you have nothing to base that on. So point them out and I will respond. If you can't, don't throw out any accusations.

I don't attack people. I attack their false statements. If their statements have any validity they will stand up to the attacks. As we have seen time and time again, they crumble as soon as you look closer. Why? Because they are outright lies, fabrications, statements made out of bias etc. As long as people can back up what they say, they have zero problems coming from me. As long as you are expressing your opinion as opinion, you have no problem with me. I may disagree of course. But when you claim something as fact that seems unlikely or unfounded, I will call you on it.

Old
03-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Dirty Chinaman
Anybody wanna bet "Damn, Maybe I shouldn't have hit Naslund like that." has crossed Steve Moore's mind since ?

Anybody want to bet that Naslund (and the entire team) is saying "Damn, I wish that Bert wasn't a selfish SOB that very likely cost this team a chance to win the Stanley Cup!"

Moore was out there doing his job. Only Canucks fans are saying that the Naslund hit was extremely dirty.

I guess that the Charles Manson or John Wayne Gacy just made a mistake as well. Like Bert said "I didn't mean to hurt you".

To get off the soapbox: IMO, a premeditated ambush/assault from behind isn't a mistake. This action wasn't done in the heat of the moment, but rather 2 weeks after the original incident. A mistake would be accidentally getting the stick up on someone. A premeditated assault from behind is a decision. A really bad decision in this case. And unfortunately, Canucks fans are the ones who will really pay.

Old
03-12-2004, 04:36 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger
But the injury wasnt worse, and if that logic would be applied to other incidents, Lemieux would have got more than 2 games a few years ago. Consider the total picutre.
I am considering the whole picture. If you shoot someone and it misses their spine by inches and they are up and walking a few weeks later it does not deminish the seriousness of the assault in question, nor the potential for a much worse result. Besides, the whole prediction of recovery is total conjecture not supported by any public statements by Moore's physicians, nor public press releases from the Avalanche nor Moore family.

Old
03-12-2004, 04:36 PM
dakota

Quote:
I guess that the Charles Manson or John Wayne Gacy just made a mistake as well. Like Bert said "I didn't mean to hurt you".
Now I have seen it all, comparing BERTUZZI to these guys...

Old
03-12-2004, 04:39 PM
dakota

Quote:
I am considering the whole picture. If you shoot someone and it misses their spine by inches and they are up and walking a few weeks later it does not deminish the seriousness of the assault in question, nor the potential for a much worse result. Besides, the whole prediction of recovery is total conjecture not supported by any public statements by Moore's physicians, nor public press releases from the Avalanche nor Moore family.
Of course it does.... where have you been!!! Brush up on your law.

Old
03-12-2004, 04:41 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Of course it does.... where have you been!!! Brush up on your law.
Oh, we are talking about the LAW. I'm obviously debating from the wrong point of view.

Old
03-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Now I have seen it all, comparing BERTUZZI to these guys...
I never made that comparison. I was just saying that they made "mistakes" as well.

My point was that anytime you make a concious decision to do something, it's not a mistake. It could be bad judgement, or stupidity, ignorance, but it's not a mistake.

Old
03-12-2004, 05:03 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Dirty Chinaman

Nope. Moore did not do anything wrong. OTOH, perhaps Queen Marcus might be thinking "damn, if only I would have kept my head up, none of this would have happened."

Bertuzzi got off lucky, and Burke and Crawford are low-class managers. They confirm this every time they open their mouths. Burke's comments about Moore skating in 4-6 weeks are an indication that is not only clueless and classless, but he would not make a good doctor. No one returns to a contact sport any sooner than 6 months following a cervical fracture, if at all. Burke is saying that Moore is not hurt as badly as everyone thinks. I would like to see his physician's license.

Old
03-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Quote:
Wow, just ....

Wow.

In that same vein: **** Moore. That chicken "innocent" polyanna got what he deserved.

Old
03-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel
Nope. Moore did not do anything wrong. OTOH, perhaps Queen Marcus might be thinking "damn, if only I would have kept my head up, none of this would have happened."

Bertuzzi got off lucky, and Burke and Crawford are low-class managers. They confirm this every time they open their mouths. Burke's comments about Moore skating in 4-6 weeks are an indication that is not only clueless and classless, but he would not make a good doctor. No one returns to a contact sport any sooner than 6 months following a cervical fracture, if at all. Burke is saying that Moore is not hurt as badly as everyone thinks. I would like to see his physician's license.
'Queen Marcus' ?

Who's the queen who wouldn't answer the bell with anybody except a player smaller than him ?

Old
03-12-2004, 05:09 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
He has never been suspended for violence (supplementary discipline) in the NHL... so this just shows you how you have been presented mis information by... you guessed it the MEDIA... it is not your fault though - you are just getting your information from other people... reporters...this is the problem with this whole situation not only in the US but north of the border as well by a few select people from the newspapers. THey are just doing their jobs i might add... to sell Newspapers and get you to read them....

Punching a linesman and leaving the bench to enter an altercation are not violence? You are kidding, right? I give you Canuck fans credit.....you are true fans, willing to overlook the completely irresponsible and inapproriate actions of you team's management and players. Unfortunately, you appear to be blind to what the rest of the hockey world sees......Bertuzzi's actions are disgraceful. If I am the Moore family, he does not get my phone number for the chance to make another hollow apology. A real man like Bertuzzi would never back down or apologize, right?

Closed Thread