Notices

Leaving on bad terms

Old
02-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Leaving on bad terms

Was thinking about this yesterday. Have there really been any Flames who have left the club on bad terms (pronger leaving Edmonton, Yashin leaving Ottawa) I cant think of any.

I was thinking of Tanguay, but I don't think that would be the same.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Lunatik*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel55 View Post
Was thinking about this yesterday. Have there really been any Flames who have left the club on bad terms (pronger leaving Edmonton, Yashin leaving Ottawa) I cant think of any.

I was thinking of Tanguay, but I don't think that would be the same.
Tanguay was a class act the whole time... he is a horrible example... fprtunately i think the best example i can think of is Andrei Taratukhin who never even suited up for us... perhaps Savard would fit too

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Flames 1st pick

Definitely Savard.....Button the clown gave him away for nothing....what an insult.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Kreed

During the cup run in 04 st.louis seemed like there was no love lost with the organisatiion..Cant say I remembr his tenure

Kreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreed View Post
During the cup run in 04 st.louis seemed like there was no love lost with the organisatiion..Cant say I remembr his tenure
St. Louis has always been very vocal about being gratefully the Flames game him a chance as an undrafted UFA

Old
02-28-2009, 12:28 AM
Oblivion

More recently, Phil Sauve left the team on bad terms. Didn't Sutter basically say he gave the Flames a chance to lose every game (or something along those lines).

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:58 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Savard although that is mainly Gilbert's fault. Don't think he hates the Calgary organization as wasn't he close to signing here as a UFA.

Ference to some extent. I know he was pissed because of the loyalty he showed in his contract negotiations. Ference knows it is a business though and I don't think he really hates the organization.

Kinda funny me and my buddy were having this discussion about a month ago comparing the oilers and flames. As we all know they have several players that have left on bad terms while those were really the only two I could think of for the flames.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:31 AM
DBU
Stars

Brad Stuart? Kind of, I know he didn't really want to play here when he got traded.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 04:09 AM
Dions shoulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by danebgfx View Post
Brad Stuart? Kind of, I know he didn't really want to play here when he got traded.
I was under the impression he would have liked to re-sign had he not had legal issues surrounding the custody of his daughter. He had to play in the US, if I am not mistaken.

Dions shoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dions shoulder View Post
I was under the impression he would have liked to re-sign had he not had legal issues surrounding the custody of his daughter. He had to play in the US, if I am not mistaken.
No, it was his girlfriends custody of her daughter and she could not take her out of California... that's why he took less money to go to Los Angeles

As for other guys mentioned...

Sauve was moved because of him fighting against Colorado... or I should say starting a fight... Sutter said something about how he is not paid to fight he is paid to stop pucks and he hasn't been doing that

Ference is much like Savard the issue is more with 1 person than the organization... Savard's problem was the coach and rumors had him almost coming to the Flames last time he was a UFA... Ference's problem is that he felt blindsided... more than anything to put it simply his feelings were hurt

Old
02-28-2009, 11:00 AM
cross16

Joe Nieuwendyk didn't leave on good terms either, with the fans or the club. Nor did Doug Gilmour.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
Joe Nieuwendyk didn't leave on good terms either, with the fans or the club. Nor did Doug Gilmour.
I don't remember Nieuwendyk having bad terms... mind you I was not privy to articles in Calgary and it was before the internet played as big of a role as now... and for someone who left on bad terms he is still pretty highly regarded by Flames fans

Old
02-28-2009, 11:06 AM
cross16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I don't remember Nieuwendyk having bad terms... mind you I was not privy to articles in Calgary and it was before the internet played as big of a role as now... and for someone who left on bad terms he is still pretty highly regarded by Flames fans

Time heals all wounds. It also helps that Iginla was acquired in the trade.

He demanded a trade after not getting the extension he wanted. He had a contract and still refused to play for the Flames. Peter Maher commented the other day that Nieuwendyk received the loudest boos he's ever heard for a returning player.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:28 AM
glovesave43

I think Al MacInnis didn't leave on the best of terms either, like alot of the core group from the 89 cup team. They wanted market value but the Flames couldn't/wouldn't meet their demands. I know McFarlane sports figures wanted to make a Chopper figure as a Flame, but he said no.

glovesave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:33 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

wasn't Drury a bit of a whiner, hated it here

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Lunatik*

On the flip side guys like Turek were run out of town by fans and he still wanted to remain with the team... I think he had 1 year and $5,000,000 or something left on his contract and he had agreed to re-negotiate it to 3 years and $5 million or something... wanted to stay so bad he was willing to take a fraction of the money... but then the lockout happened and he decided to retire and keep his family in the Czech Republic rather than continually moving them around

Old
02-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

I actually miss Turek. Really liked him, I was so excited when I found out we got him. Don't remember what it cost though, did we get him through Free Agency, or was he traded here?

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Congo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel55 View Post
I actually miss Turek. Really liked him, I was so excited when I found out we got him. Don't remember what it cost though, did we get him through Free Agency, or was he traded here?
We traded Brathwaite for him. Straight up, I think.

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo View Post
We traded Brathwaite for him. Straight up, I think.
Brathwaite, Varlamov and Tkaczuk.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Brathwaite, Varlamov and Tkaczuk.
so like they said... straight up

Old
02-28-2009, 04:32 PM
mucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
so like they said... straight up
didn't we also get conroy in that trade? (his first tour with the flames)

mucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 04:34 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucca View Post
didn't we also get conroy in that trade? (his first tour with the flames)

No Conroy was in a deadline deal for Stillman.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 04:36 PM
mucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
No Conroy was in a deadline deal for Stillman.
oh yeah right...thanks

mucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 04:37 PM
scoringmachine

If I remember correctly Marc Savard, and Valeri Bure stayed with the team for a few years before demanding a trade. I am not sure the reason for them leaving but my guess is they felt the team, coach or management were treating them unfairly or not the way they though they should be treated.

The day Chris Drury was told he was traded to Calgary you could feel that Drury did not want to be on the Flames. Most sports channels talked about Drury wanting to leave Calgary before he even started his first game with the Flames. After just one season with the team he got his wish and was traded to Buffalo.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post
If I remember correctly Marc Savard, and Valeri Bure stayed with the team for a few years before demanding a trade. I am not sure the reason for them leaving but my guess is they felt the team, coach or management were treating them unfairly or not the way they though they should be treated.

The day Chris Drury was told he was traded to Calgary on all the sports show all you can hear was that Chris Drury did not want to play for the Flames and wanted to be traded. After one season he got his wish.
Bure didn't want to be traded... there was actually tension in the locker room between Bure and Wiemer so instead of picking sides the Flames sent both to Florida for Niedermayer