HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did BGL play tonight?

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Qui Gon Dave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
I remember habs called a young player and was dressed but claude julien didn't even give him one shift.... I can't remember who it was, maybe AKost.
I can't remember the Habs dressing someone for a game and then not playing them at all, but I remember Eddie Olczyk did that when with the Pens once and Lemieux gave him a light telling off. A.Kost nearly got that treatment in his first game with the Habs. He played one 39 second shift against the Sabres. I think there might have been another game where he only got 29 seconds of ice time too, but I can't recall who that would have been against.

Old
02-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Bullsmith

Except for some excruciating turnovers by Hamr and Brisbois and an endless stream of stupid penalties, the habs played well tonight. The game was chippy, but in no way did the Flyers manage to intimidate the Habs.

All in all BGL wasn't part of the problem last night, having him in the game seemed to have a small but positive effect. As so many others point out, half of what BGL does is make ugly things not happen.

Old
02-28-2009, 09:55 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
I can't remember the Habs dressing someone for a game and then not playing them at all, but I remember Eddie Olczyk did that when with the Pens once and Lemieux gave him a light telling off. A.Kost nearly got that treatment in his first game with the Habs. He played one 39 second shift against the Sabres. I think there might have been another game where he only got 29 seconds of ice time too, but I can't recall who that would have been against.
Lapierre had the same treatment in his first game. Played one shift.

Old
02-28-2009, 09:55 AM
MARKOVFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post
Carbo is an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, shrouded in Mystery
dipped in secret sauce.

RDS said that Carbo only had like 10 minuted to describe his 'system' to metropolit, seems like it was ample time.

Why do you think there were no fight BGL in the lineup/ :sarc asm:

Old
02-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Funny how winning changes perspective....We were losing, he was useless, we're winning, it's definately 'cause he has a calming influence on the opponent.

Again, for whoever knows what BGL is all about, aside from the big enforcer, why would an opponent be scared of BGL? Openly, BGL won't start a fight and won't guys that are smaller than him and guys that don't want to fight. So, sure the great Riley Côté was quiet. Seems to me that he was quiet 'cause he's not good enough to play hockey either. Flyers had a hockey game to win, not a fight to pick up.

Old
02-28-2009, 10:09 AM
la25ecoupe

Was Laraque always a 4th liner?

Old
02-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Pepe Lemieux

The refs were calling everything... too much PP and PK for BGL

Old
02-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
and you think that's just a coincidence? At one point in the 1st Laraque was running after Coté trying to make him drop the gloves, average fans don't get the impact of a plasyer that like Laraque, because he's effective when the other stays quiet, so in other words he's good when there's nothing to see, why is there SO MANY people here, of all places, that don't get it?
QFT.

Having said that, I'd like to see Laraque use his big body a bit more.

Old
02-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Bryzga lol*

Stewart set the tone with that cross check to the face. Other teams will start to realize soon who the real rough guys are.

Old
02-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Funny how winning changes perspective....We were losing, he was useless, we're winning, it's definately 'cause he has a calming influence on the opponent.
I thought he was useless then and I still think he's useless.

I'd much rather have Stewart in the lineup over Laraque. Stewart can actually play hockey and still fight. Once Tanguay comes back someone has to be out of the lineup and I hope that player is Laraque.

Old
02-28-2009, 11:15 AM
otto bond

Quote:
and you think that's just a coincidence? At one point in the 1st Laraque was running after Coté trying to make him drop the gloves, average fans don't get the impact of a plasyer that like Laraque, because he's effective when the other stays quiet, so in other words he's good when there's nothing to see, why is there SO MANY people here, of all places, that don't get it?
Sure we don't get it.Please spear me the time of day. So you are telling me that wen every thing's quiet, he should just glide all the way to the bank?An average fans knows also that went it not ruff out their and you are the tuff guys, play with an edge still. 0 hit plus can't play defensively and this after he complains about his use.
If you ask me, he just made a case for dressing up only if the other team dresses a heavyweight.
Most cheap shot are done by little pest like Tucker. Remember Peca? Anyways, if a team is so scared of Laraque, all they have to do is not dress their fighter.
All I'm saying is that if you are dress up, you should not contempt yourself. Still be involved and do some dirty laundry?

Old
02-28-2009, 11:18 AM
otto bond

Also I forgot about the cheap shot attemp by Lupol on Halak. If that Knee conect more, we lost a goalie

Old
02-28-2009, 11:20 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He played the amount he should be playing.

I'm happy. He used to get more minutes but I think this was Carbo's message that he'll play him as often or as little as he wants regardless of the fact he cries to the media.
Do you think Gainey is shopping him quietly right now ?

Old
02-28-2009, 11:21 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
He played a bit more when he was in Phoenix.

Old
02-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Thinkbig

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
No, he used to be a first liner.

Old
02-28-2009, 11:48 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riel View Post
Stewart set the tone with that cross check to the face. Other teams will start to realize soon who the real rough guys are.
Thank you!!

At one point in the first two periods, Stewart was in front of Lupul during an after the whistle scrum, and Lupul clearly looked at him and said "Who the **** are you?". Stewart didn't really flinch. Next time they're both on the ice, pretty boy Lupul gets a crosscheck to the face and some free dental work courtesy of Stewart. The Flyers really calmed down after that.

Old
02-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
yep I remember well now it was Andrei Kostytsin the year Claude Julien was fired... Andrei was dressed but he didn't even get one single shift! It was his 2nd or 3rd game though!

Old
02-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
No, he used to be a first liner.
seriously, with the Oilers he was sometimes used on the 1st line.

Old
02-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Ncrdrg

Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
I don't get Laraque.
First he whines to the media and does nothing in this game except trying a staged fight. No big hit, not involving himself in scrums, not starting anything. I understand his code of only fighting willing people but that doesn't mean you can't play with some edge.
I understand he has some calming influence just because he's dressed but that only justifies playing 3-4 minutes against the other goon and not dressing him against any team that do not dress them.
He's digging his grave.

Old
02-28-2009, 01:52 PM
habs24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohabsgo_11 View Post
He played 4:20. I dont think he played at all in the third. There is no way Carbo is gonna put that liability out there in a big game thats tied 3-3.
He had both the Beezer and Hamrlik out there in a 3-3 game, both of which are more of a liability than BGL

Old
02-28-2009, 02:14 PM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
I would have much rather had Chipchura in the lineup besides Laraque. Hasn't really done anything this season for us and I don't see that changing in the future.

Mitch

Old
02-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortue View Post
I don't get it? The man was a real powerhouse today. His hockey sense is unbelievable. He has this tunnel vision out of the imaginary. He can only do 1 thing at a time, sort of like my wife and thats why I beat her. A) Follows someone from 10 feet behind them not giving a crap about the play. B) Trying to keep the puck on the wall but as soon as it gets 2 feet away from him loses it to air. C) Sitting on the bench.

I tell you, this man is the best 4th liner we have. In no way should we have someone actually playing minutes without being a liability there. Look at him after the game he wasn't even happy and I can't blame him cause all the team must be so dissapointed in him it's not even funny.
that comment was almost as bad as your avatar....

Old
02-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Sure we don't get it.Please spear me the time of day. So you are telling me that wen every thing's quiet, he should just glide all the way to the bank?An average fans knows also that went it not ruff out their and you are the tuff guys, play with an edge still. 0 hit plus can't play defensively and this after he complains about his use.
If you ask me, he just made a case for dressing up only if the other team dresses a heavyweight.
Most cheap shot are done by little pest like Tucker. Remember Peca? Anyways, if a team is so scared of Laraque, all they have to do is not dress their fighter.
All I'm saying is that if you are dress up, you should not contempt yourself. Still be involved and do some dirty laundry?
, you know what, one day we'l be in the playoffs when after Laraque will be gone and we're getting cheapshots after cheapshots, you'l understand what i mean.

Why do so many people think that he plays an agitator's game? he never did and never will, if he plays 4-5 min like he did last game and the other 2 on the line play 6-7 mins then him for pk time and extra shifts in the 3rd periods, what's the problem?

Old
02-28-2009, 03:55 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
, you know what, one day we'l be in the playoffs when after Laraque will be gone and we're getting cheapshots after cheapshots, you'l understand what i mean.

Why do so many people think that he plays an agitator's game? he never did and never will, if he plays 4-5 min like he did last game and the other 2 on the line play 6-7 mins then him for pk time and extra shifts in the 3rd periods, what's the problem?
The problem is that he only intimidates enforcers, which does nothing to prevent guys like Hartnell and Alberts from running Koivu and company.

He's an abortion of a hockey player, and a liability every time he's out on the ice. Coaches love to match lines when Georges is in the lineup, its a guaranteed 5-on-4 when he's on the ice.

He doesn't belong in the lineup based on his limited hockey ability, and he shouldn't be inserted in it unless someone needs to answer the bell (which Laraque doesn't even take care of anyways) for something that happened in the previous game between the two teams. That's the way it should be, and last time I checked Laraque is an employee of the Montreal Canadiens and he should operate by their code, not his.

Old
02-28-2009, 04:14 PM
smon

Quote:

I agree that he isn't a much of an agitator or hitter. So complaining that he doesn't hit isn't worth anything. He's an enforcer, plain and simple. But the problem is when he starts whining, and when he doesn't fight. It's like he doesn't like having to fight people and actually thinks he can be a regular player.

I think it was the same deal in Edmonton near when he left, he started saying that he was worthy of actual icetime. In Phoenix I know for a fact that Gretzky told the media he didn't fight enough, and that's why they got Carcillo for him from Pittsburgh.

No one would have a problem with Laraque if he just accepted his role as an enforcer, not as an everyday player.

Closed Thread