HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

IT'S A JOINT VENTURE!!..::..Minnesota @ Edmonton..::..Feb 28th @ 8:00pm..::..

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2009, 03:36 AM
Rin

vCash: 500
IT'S A JOINT VENTURE!!..::..Minnesota @ Edmonton..::..Feb 28th @ 8:00pm..::..

EDMONTON: 30-26-5, 65 Pts VS WILD: 30-25-5, 65 Pts

Game Day: Saturday, February 28th 2009.
Game Time: 8:00pm MST.
Radio: 630 Ched.
TV: CBC (HD)
Online Feed: This site lists a couple places. Thanks GMofOilers
Referees: To be announced.
Linesmen: To be announced.

Alright Guys and Gals, as we ALL know this game is absolutely HUGE. It's another extremely important 4 point game. We are still in the playoff race, but the players will need your cheering, your energy, your passion, your emotion! So just like we expect them to leave it all on the ice night in and night out, I want all 16,839 bodies in Rexall leaving it all out in the stands. This is pretty much like a playoff game, so if we want the players treating it like a playoff game...can they expect the same from the fans? Nothing will get their blood flowing, their energy up, their intensity up, their passion up...better than the sound of the fans chanting before they even step onto the ice. As they make that walk from the dressing room to the ice, chants of LET'S GO OILERS, LET'S GO will give them bigger wings than Redbull. Don't sit there completely silent and wait for something to cheer for, let them know that we are behind them, that we still believe in them, and that we are there supporting them game in and game out.

Quote:
Rin: Hey guys, I'm glad you could all join me in this pre-game round table discussion.

Mowzie: No problem Rin, it's been a while since we've done a joint GDT, and who better to help us along then Mr. Motivation himself, Richard Simmons, who is in town this week and Gene Principe from Rogers Sportsnet.

Gene: Well we all know that Mowzie and Rin have great personalities, but with Richard Simmons, the round table might be better off... Square.

Rin: Oh c'mon Gene, let's not give Richard a hard time...

Richard: Yes, thanks Gene, not only should you love me, but you should love your self, and your aura and your mantra and your life.

Gene: I agree with you there Mr. Simmons, you have a wealth of knowledge that makes you...well... Rich.

Rin: OK, getting back on track guys...

Mowzie (to Richard): Ummm, something just fell out of your short shorts Richard...

Richard: Oh sorry about that, that's my... Little Richard (laughs hysterically)

Rin: (vomits all over)

Mowzie: (vomits all over)

Gene: Well your birth certificate sais your from New Orleans, but after seeing what just fell out, some might say your came from...well... Little Rock...

Rin: So are we ever gonna get to discussing this huge game?

Mowzie: No, I don't think so.

Gene: Ya, I'm just about out of puns, I need to go re-stock.

Richard: Some of my muscle shirt rhinestones fell off, I need to go re-attach them and it's getting late and I need my beauty rest.

Gene: Ok, goodnight Richard, and good luck with your... Simmons beauty rest.

SCORE: 4-3 OIL

ROSTER UPDATES:
EDMONTON:
Pouliot will likely be on the 2nd line with Gagner and Cole. MacIntyre will be in for Reddox. Grebeshkov will be replacing Peckham. Roloson is also expected to make his 18th consecutive start tonight. LINK

Projected Lines

Penner - Horcoff - Hemsky
Pouliot - Gagner - Cole
Moreau - Cogliano - Pisani
Stortini - Brodziak - Reddox

Grebeshkov - Gilbert
Souray - Staios
Strudwick - Smid (Unfortunately Smid is the one going down to the 3rd pairing not Staios)

Roloson

Wild:
Team placed Craig Weller on waivers Saturday. - TSN

Wild defenceman Kurtis Foster's long road back from a broken leg hit a speed bump in practice Thursday when he took a big hit. Wild coach Jacques Lemaire said it was clear that Foster isn't ready to break back into the lineup after an 11-month absence.

--They don't have a GDT up so I'm not sure about the lines.

OILERS TO WATCH: It will be interesting to see how Pouliot replies after being scratched for the past few games. Playing on the 2nd line should do him some good. Is Nilsson going to be a healthy scratch? Is he being demoted? Promoted?...We will see tonight.

WILD TO WATCH: Backstrom finally got credited for a loss against us, but replied with a shootout win the next game. With our dry offence of late, all eyes will be on him and his play. We need to get to him early and often.

MOWZIE: I'm not gonna single anyone out tonight, because this 'team' will have to win as a 'team' tonight... no passengers. Grebeshkov and Pouliot look to return tonight so the line-up will look different, but everyone is gonna have to pull their weight because the right combination of wins and losses this week can go a long way in determining which teams are riding playoff highs, and which teams are riding golf carts.

MY KEYS TO THE GAME: Stay out of the penalty box, stop being so static and predictable on the PP. And throw the ****ing body a bit, stop acting like little girls out there. Both teams will be hungry for a win, both teams know the importance of this game...it will come down to who wants it more. Minnesota played Calgary last night and lost 4-1. They should be tired, we will need to work hard on the forecheck to wear them down. They need to be dead tired by the 3rd.

MOWZIE'S KEYS TO THE GAME: Score first, dictate the pace and finish strong. All very obvious elements of a game plan, but something this team has been unable to do recently. Scoring first and maintaining the lead with force Minny to change their game a bit and open up. If Edmonton can score first, they can allow themselves to dictate the pace and keep Minny from getting in their comfort zone. Lastly, finish strong; they've had poor finishes, a ton of them in recent memory, but if they're winning, they need to hold on for the regulation win. If they're losing, then there should be some blood on those Wild sweaters.

QUOTABLE: "That was a real disappointing loss, one of the toughest of the year so far. At this point, with the situation we are in battling for a playoff spot with that team, it's just too bad we couldn't come up with a little bit better of an effort."--Sheldon Souray.

OFF-DAY VIDEO:

SEASON SERIES:
DateLocationResult
February 8, 2009 Minnesota 3-2 SOL
January 30, 2009 Edmonton 3-1 W
January 15, 2009 Minnesota 5-1 L

TEAM COMPARISON:
 OilersWild
Points6565
Wins3030
Shutouts16
Power Play Rank2010
Penalty Kill Rank271
Win % When Leading After 1.810.833
Win % When Leading After 2.947.909
Win % When Trailing After 1.211.143
Win % When Trailing After 2.083.050

TEAM LEADERS:
OilersWild
GOALS: Hemsky (19)Nolan (17)
ASSISTS:Hemsky (32) Koivu (39)
+/-: Horcoff (+7)Koivu (+4)
OT Goals:Brodziak (1)Burns (1)

LINKS FOR MORE INFO: I will be adding more throughout the day.

LET'S GO OILERS, LET'S GO!

Last edited by Rin: 03-01-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old
02-28-2009, 04:02 AM
hfboardsuser

I'm going to summon Uncle B's good-luck charm:

Old
02-28-2009, 04:12 AM
okgooil

If they lose this one, the season could be heading south in a hurry. Really, a must win.

Old
02-28-2009, 04:12 AM
Giant Moo

That conversation actually does sound like Gene Principe.

Sports puns are the lowliest form of humour known to mankind.

Old
02-28-2009, 04:15 AM
Giant Moo

Oh, and the "clap clap" thing is dead.

D-E-D. Dead. Like a doornail. Like a dead parrot.

Every time I see it I can't but help of losing big games. And every time I see it I imagine that interview with our incredibly poor excuse for a captain clapping along with the music, smiling his crap-eating grin.

That image makes me mad.

So please, people.

Let the "clap clap" thing be.

It's over.

Old
02-28-2009, 04:18 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

MacTavish should let MacIntyre loose early in the game if Boogaard gets in trouble for what he did to Prust tonight.

Old
02-28-2009, 04:18 AM
hfboardsuser

On the contrary; I would kill to see all of Rexall clap-clap at every stupid Moreau penalty or Horcoff whiffed shot.

Old
02-28-2009, 04:19 AM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
MacTavish should let MacIntyre run loose early in the game, especially since Boogaard might not be dressing after what he did to Prust tonight.
? missed that, what happened?

Old
02-28-2009, 04:19 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
MacTavish should let MacIntyre run loose early in the game, especially since Boogaard might not be dressing after what he did to Prust tonight.
That's ********. Yeah, suspending the two minute-a-night goon is a horrible punishment.

They should make Backstrom sit if anything.

Old
02-28-2009, 04:22 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
That's ********. Yeah, suspending the two minute-a-night goon is a horrible punishment.
Huh? If Boogaard's not dressed, he can't do anything dirty to the Oilers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
? missed that, what happened?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J-ftoiL7N0

Old
02-28-2009, 04:23 AM
Gulvorn

The key to beating the Wild is to pummel Backstrom low stick side. That's about it

Old
02-28-2009, 04:23 AM
dookers9

Yep, I'd say "must win" is an apt term for the Oilers for this one. Mind you, that's what a lot of people were saying about the Columbus game.

Whatever... short of some sort of collective organ transplant or a case load of Red Bull consumed before the remaining games, it's looking ugly down the stretch.

But what the hell... I'll toss 'em a bone for tonight.

3-1 Oilers.

Backstrom plays despite a pounding migraine and allows 3 goals on 12 shots. Roli stands on his head with 34 saves and drops 'em with Boogaard after he brushes him coming out from behind the net, serving as sufficient inspiration for the squad. And Moreau only gives the puck away 14 times rather than the standard 32 of late.

Old
02-28-2009, 04:30 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
No, but Clutterbuck is still dressed and they have plenty of young 'talent' on the farm (see: Matt Kassian).

Old
02-28-2009, 04:31 AM
T-Funk

if he does play stortini, he needs to tell him to shut his mouth and just play hard hockey
and then put smac out on whatever line plays koivu and add an extra defenseman

Old
02-28-2009, 04:33 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Guaranteed win night.

Old
02-28-2009, 04:33 AM
JBell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Oh, and the "clap clap" thing is dead.

D-E-D. Dead. Like a doornail. Like a dead parrot.

Every time I see it I can't but help of losing big games. And every time I see it I imagine that interview with our incredibly poor excuse for a captain clapping along with the music, smiling his crap-eating grin.

That image makes me mad.

So please, people.

Let the "clap clap" thing be.

It's over.
holy smokes man...

Personally I think "jaded internet guy" is over, and has been over for years, but that's just me.

Old
02-28-2009, 04:36 AM
okgooil

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J-ftoiL7N0
Wow, nasty Elbow.

Old
02-28-2009, 04:40 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBell84 View Post
holy smokes man...

Personally I think "jaded internet guy" is over, and has been over for years, but that's just me.
Sometimes the truth hurts.

Old
02-28-2009, 04:41 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
No, but Clutterbuck is still dressed and they have plenty of young 'talent' on the farm (see: Matt Kassian).
My point is, if MacIntyre drills someone, who is Lemaire going to send out to fight him? That actually has a chance against Mac, I mean? Mac did pretty well against Boogaard earlier this season, and Clutterbuck is nowhere near the fighter Boogaard is. I don't know anything about Kassian.

Knowing MacTavish though, he'll probably scratch MacIntyre if Boogaard isn't playing, so this discussion is pointless, heh.

Old
02-28-2009, 04:44 AM
JBell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Sometimes the truth hurts.
Ehh, I'd say it's the pretension that hurts At least the board's sense of humour is courageously held in line though, right?

Old
02-28-2009, 04:56 AM
KingKhron

I havent felt so disheartened about a loss in awhile...the blowouts didnt bother me as much as last game. i hope that tonight renews my faith.

Old
02-28-2009, 05:04 AM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Oilers dismantle Backstrom.

6-1 Oilers

Old
02-28-2009, 05:06 AM
dookers9

Quote:
If a Wild "lesser goon" is brought up in Boogey's place (should he be suspended), some of the question is moot...

...But I'd be curious whether Clutterbuck's all-out assault on the hit parade record book will be hindered somewhat without an enforcer in the lineup. ESPECIALLY if Mac dresses, but perhaps even if he doesn't.

W/out Boogaard in the lineup to bolster Clutterbuck's propensity to hit, I wonder if we'd see a different version of him, knowing the Oilers have the upper hand? Hell, Peckham would be happy to teach him a lesson were he given the chance.

Old
02-28-2009, 05:09 AM
oXo Cube
Termite

Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
Oilers dismantle Backstrom.

6-1 Oilers
QFT!

Old
02-28-2009, 05:12 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post
W/out Boogaard in the lineup to bolster Clutterbuck's propensity to hit, I wonder if we'd see a different version of him, knowing the Oilers have the upper hand? Hell, Peckham would be happy to teach him a lesson were he given the chance.
To Clutterbuck's credit, he gets taken apart in fights and still comes back like an STD. He doesn't know how to learn a lesson.

Closed Thread