HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs @ Rags 2/28/09 5pm MDT

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2009, 08:24 PM
  #251
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,910
vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
I hope you didn't pull a hamstring dodging my question.

Once again, where have I not used logic in this discussion?

Or, if you prefer -

Where "=/ have ??.-! I not >> used --= logic in this >==-"!@# discussion? /

-AB
lol.....damn

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
03-01-2009, 09:20 PM
  #252
AyVee
Registered User
 
AyVee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Springs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
I hope you didn't pull a hamstring dodging my question.

Once again, where have I not used logic in this discussion?

Or, if you prefer -

Where "=/ have ??.-! I not >> used --= logic in this >==-"!@# discussion? /

-AB
Thank you! Oh my god! that makes so much more sense now!

To answer your question though: ^^/xI'd rather jsut )_0 leave you with >=nO ]answer[, You s33m to n33D <.> ianother win under ruoy belt! XP question mark it'LL help boost your ego for more conescending remarks. period.

AyVee is offline  
Old
03-01-2009, 09:52 PM
  #253
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
AB, would you still bother to go out and get that $4M or $5M goaltender if the plan is to keep Granato as coach for next season ?
In a way, yes. It depends...

If they keep Granato for next season, no change will make a damn bit of difference for the Avs. Granato is inept, so the Avs are toast.

That said, if they get the chance to sign a truly good goaltender to a several-year contract, they should. My thought (perhaps, my hope) being that the goalie will outlast the coach.

-AB

ABasin is offline  
Old
03-01-2009, 09:57 PM
  #254
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I'll put my head on the chopping block here, and say that Sakic needs to retire or play for 3Mil max.
I wouldn't take him for that amount....nostalgia over the Olympics in BC or no.

I simply believe that is $3M that could better be spent on a healthy, physical third line center, #1 goalie or improvements to the D. If there is any truth to the rumors that Kroenke has directed PL and FG to trim payroll, there is absolutely no justification that can be made for signing Sakic (wierd, freak injuries or not the guy has only played 59 games over the last two seasons combined) for anything much more than 1.5M. But to be honest, if they went to Joe with a 1.5M offer, it might just piss him off enough to sign in Vancouver.

*If* I was GM, I would pretty much start talking to Joe right now about what team he'd like to see his jersey raised to the rafters against next season.


Last edited by expatriated_texan: 03-01-2009 at 10:55 PM.
expatriated_texan is offline  
Old
03-01-2009, 09:57 PM
  #255
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
With the standing this damn close in both conferences, being top 4 doesn't mean much to me. IMO In the east, there are two legit contenders (or front runners). New Jersey (with Marty) and Boston. In the west, San Jose and Detroit. Washington, Philly, Calgary, Chicago are on that 2nd tier.

In real life, the playoffs usually produce surprises. Edmonton, Calgary, Carolina, Anahiem, all went to the finals in relatively recent years as low seeds. But contender status? Thats reserved for the "non-surprises" IMO. Philly would have to "upset" New Jersey and Boston, which is why they aren't a contender. Boston and New Jersey look evenly matched to me, as does SJ and DET.
When I look at the playoffs, I ask myself "which teams have it all together, minus goaltending?". Any of those teams can contend, if the goaltender gets hot. Philadelphia is in that list. Two good scoring lines, some good PKers, a solid top 4 on defense.....get the goaltending, and they can go places. That conference is ripe with mediocrity. Philly could easily make the top 4.

Please note: I am no Philly fan. Aside from goaltending (which is damn important) they're right up there with every team in the East.

And if you don't believe that a hot goalie can carry a mediocre team in this day and age of the NHL, please refer to the Edmonton Oilers and Roloson of a few years ago.

-AB

ABasin is offline  
Old
03-01-2009, 10:00 PM
  #256
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Thats if Clark, Salei, Tucker are still a apart of the team. In which case we're screwed either way, whether its the cap or just having them on the team.
NOW you're thinking. Tough situation the Avs find themselves in, isn't it?

Thus, my belief that they need to turn over 50% of the roster, starting with the 3 (of 6, thus 50% when you add in Leopold) of the defense.

They need to do the same dang thing with the forwards and the goaltenders.

-AB

ABasin is offline  
Old
03-01-2009, 10:04 PM
  #257
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
And I do consider that minor changes in terms of quantity of changes. A new coach and a new goalie. Not completely gutting the team just replacing those 2 pieces.
Then I go back to my previously unanswered questions:

If the forwards don't significantly change, how does the 5th worst offense in the WC improve to that of a playoff team? Osmosis?

If the defensemen don't significantly change, how does the WORST defense in the WC improve to that of a playoff team? Or, are you putting the entire '08-09 Avs' defensive performance (or lack thereof) on the goaltending?

-AB

ABasin is offline  
Old
03-01-2009, 10:05 PM
  #258
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns
 
WarriorOfGandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,738
vCash: 142
Philadelphia's defense is terrible











(I have nothing else to add to this conversation)

WarriorOfGandhi is offline  
Old
03-01-2009, 10:07 PM
  #259
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhasX View Post
Thank you! Oh my god! that makes so much more sense now!

To answer your question though: ^^/xI'd rather jsut )_0 leave you with >=nO ]answer[, You s33m to n33D <.> ianother win under ruoy belt! XP question mark it'LL help boost your ego for more conescending remarks. period.
How old are you? Seriously?

Another nice dodge. Stretch those hamstrings, bud.

Bubba, I erased your PM too quickly. Can you please resend the 'how to ignore' instructions again? Thank you.

-AB

ABasin is offline  
Old
03-01-2009, 10:08 PM
  #260
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I wouldn't take him for that amount....nostalgia over the Olympics in BC or no.
Amen, brother.

-AB

ABasin is offline  
Old
03-01-2009, 10:09 PM
  #261
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Philadelphia's defense is terrible











(I have nothing else to add to this conversation)


Too bad they are facing the cap or we could try and *help* them out with that in the next day or so...

expatriated_texan is offline  
Old
03-01-2009, 10:12 PM
  #262
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Philadelphia's defense is terrible
Aside from NJ, whose is good in the EC?

(FYI, I like Boston's goaltending more than their team defense.)

-AB

ABasin is offline  
Old
03-01-2009, 10:14 PM
  #263
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,910
vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Then I go back to my previously unanswered questions:

If the forwards don't significantly change, how does the 5th worst offense in the WC improve to that of a playoff team? Osmosis?
If the defensemen don't significantly change, how does the WORST defense in the WC improve to that of a playoff team? Or, are you putting the entire '08-09 Avs' defensive performance (or lack thereof) on the goaltending?

-AB
Stastny actually playing helps a lot. Having no Arnason helps a lot. Also if Granato isnt here or if he uses his head then Stewart will play more minutes and will be playing with Stastny/Wolski which also helps the offense a lot.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
03-01-2009, 10:20 PM
  #264
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Stastny actually playing helps a lot. Having no Arnason helps a lot. Also if Granato isnt here or if he uses his head then Stewart will play more minutes and will be playing with Stastny/Wolski which also helps the offense a lot.
Ok....now you are asking for entirely too much.

expatriated_texan is offline  
Old
03-01-2009, 10:44 PM
  #265
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns
 
WarriorOfGandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,738
vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Aside from NJ, whose is good in the EC?

(FYI, I like Boston's goaltending more than their team defense.)

-AB
Granted, not many.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/by...ype=0&sort=423

On a completely different subject, LA went from near last to near first in one season. How does that even happen, and why can't it happen to Colorado's goaltending?

WarriorOfGandhi is offline  
Old
03-01-2009, 10:56 PM
  #266
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Granted, not many.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/by...ype=0&sort=423

On a completely different subject, LA went from near last to near first in one season. How does that even happen, and why can't it happen to Colorado's goaltending?
Because the Avalanche's management believes Peter Budaj is one of the best young talents in net in the NHL.

expatriated_texan is offline  
Old
03-01-2009, 11:02 PM
  #267
NWAvsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
How old are you? Seriously?

Another nice dodge. Stretch those hamstrings, bud.

Bubba, I erased your PM too quickly. Can you please resend the 'how to ignore' instructions again? Thank you.

-AB
Click on the user name in the left of the post, click "add to ignore list" from the bottom of the popup, and confirm on the next page. Life is good.

NWAvsFan is offline  
Old
03-01-2009, 11:21 PM
  #268
Avsboy
Registered User
 
Avsboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,282
vCash: 500
I do believe we can be a top team in a relatively short time with Hedman or Tavares. Look at Schenn in Toronto, he's by far their best player. Not only do we have many better players than the leafs, but is considered by everyone the next Lidstrom.

But, like I and others have been trying to say, we can EASILY compete for the playoffs next year. All we really have to address is the goalie issue, and the Granato issue.

But to really start making an impact we have to shed the bad players and get a ppqb and another top 6 forward

Avsboy is online now  
Old
03-01-2009, 11:57 PM
  #269
hockeyfish
Registered User
 
hockeyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Back in the FoCo
Country: United States
Posts: 6,876
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy12345 View Post
I do believe we can be a top team in a relatively short time with Hedman or Tavares. Look at Schenn in Toronto, he's by far their best player. Not only do we have many better players than the leafs, but is considered by everyone the next Lidstrom.

But, like I and others have been trying to say, we can EASILY compete for the playoffs next year. All we really have to address is the goalie issue, and the Granato issue.

But to really start making an impact we have to shed the bad players and get a ppqb and another top 6 forward
I'm not sure about Tavares, but I do agree with Hedman. I am imagining this defense in two years...

Hedman - Shattenkirk
Liles - Hannan
Williams - Cowen

There is a ton of skill there, at both ends of the ice.

hockeyfish is offline  
Old
03-02-2009, 12:24 AM
  #270
AyVee
Registered User
 
AyVee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Springs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
How old are you? Seriously?

Another nice dodge. Stretch those hamstrings, bud.

Bubba, I erased your PM too quickly. Can you please resend the 'how to ignore' instructions again? Thank you.

-AB
Here's your answer.
I had brought up the point, full-knowingly that I was wrong, to prove a point. You do use logic in your reasoning, but you're unecessarily an *** about it.
It seems as if anyone who doesn't have the same opinion as yourself on an issue is somehow inferior to you. Giving you some sort of deluded sense of yourself, as if you're somehow better than those who disagree with you, giving you some sort of authority to judge based on a differing opinion.
How egotistical does one have to be to judge an opinion?
I seem to recall a few comments you've said about a few people who, quote, ' don't "get it" ' as it has apparently seemed to slip your mind to where other people's priorities lay about the team. Some of us seem to think the majority of the solution lies within the club as opposed to outside.
Maybe I'm wrong and you do understand this, but to completely disregard that this viewpoint even has some merit is no better, and probably just as arrogant as closing yourself off from the idea completely.

I'm no longer responding to your close-minded, egotistical remarks, as it is completely unrelated to the topic of the post (or what it has turned into). I didn't want to go here, but you kept asking, and unnecessarily you added insult, as noted before.


Last edited by AyVee: 03-02-2009 at 12:30 AM.
AyVee is offline  
Old
03-02-2009, 12:27 AM
  #271
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,526
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
I'm not sure about Tavares, but I do agree with Hedman. I am imagining this defense in two years...

Hedman - Shattenkirk
Liles - Hannan
Williams - Cowen

There is a ton of skill there, at both ends of the ice.
How, do the avs manage to get this guy and Hedman? I wish but not happening.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now  
Old
03-02-2009, 12:34 AM
  #272
hockeyfish
Registered User
 
hockeyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Back in the FoCo
Country: United States
Posts: 6,876
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by svatos_the_great View Post
How, do the avs manage to get this guy and Hedman? I wish but not happening.
My bad, I've been typing for the better part of 10 hours today. So, I'm a bit loopy. I meant Cohen.

hockeyfish is offline  
Old
03-02-2009, 12:38 AM
  #273
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,526
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
My bad, I've been typing for the better part of 10 hours today. So, I'm a bit loopy. I meant Cohen.
Don't worry about but that d core does look good.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now  
Old
03-02-2009, 12:59 AM
  #274
Jori
Registered User
 
Jori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 20,206
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Okay, this thread has gone way off topic and is starting to get a bit ugly. I'm going to close this one.

__________________
Colorado Avalanche Prospects-- News and updates on the future of the Colorado Avalanche!
Colorado's Future -- Team * Manning * MacKinnon * Tulowitzki?
Jori is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.