HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Trade Deadline Talk (Mar 4 3:00pm)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2009, 09:05 AM
  #1
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,033
vCash: 500
Trade Deadline Talk (Mar 4 3:00pm)

It's as good a time as any in the lead up to Wednesday's trade deadline to start a thread like this.

What do we need? What rumors have you heard? What do you think will happen? What should happen? How stupid is the proposal by another commenter?

This is a full service deadline discussion.

Vitals

NTCs:
Martin St. Louis
Vincent Lecavalier (activates on 7/1)

Impending UFAs
Gary Roberts
Mark Recchi
Matt Pettinger
David Koci
Jason Ward
Marek Malik
Jamie Heward - IR
Josef Melichar
Cory Murphy
Janne Niskala
Olaf Kolzig - IR

Let's start to get all excited because we know, we KNOW, Lawton's going to make moves. Irreversibly changing the course of players' and their families' lives. And most of us know how much of a pain in the ass it is to move. Possibly for only for a draft pick.

But I digress.

We know what the big needs are. A top-end physical, defensive defensemen. Maybe a top 6 forward for next season. And if they choose to go this direction, a decent goalie who could hold the fort for now and maybe even backup Smith next season. Assuming they don't have that confidence in Ramo and/or McKenna.

The St.Louis to Pittsburgh trade seems dead in the water. The only name I ever heard coming back, Ryan Whitney, is now a Duck. Unless there's somebody else that Pittsburgh would spare, Gonchar, for instance, there ain't no trade to complete.

As for new rumors, The Ottawa Sun has said that Tampa Bay (or Edmonton) might be the next home of Christoph Schubert, who's considered likely to be moved.

Schubert has another year on his contract after this season for $900,000.

Please no, Lawdog. I don't see what we need in him. He's a 27 year old left wing on pace for 57 games and 5 points. And he's already collected the first 4. He's never had more than 25 points in a season either. Why? Are we going to be selling that much to bottom out? Poseidon, I hope not. I still have tickets to two more games.

As for Recchi and Roberts. I want to sign Recchi back in the offseason. If being a rental offends him, and based on his history, it doesn't, then I'd rather keep him than ensure he's gone for good.

Roberts probably could fetch a decent asset, considering his reputation as a playoff warrior. All the while keeping in mind this is his last hurrah.

Last, the elephant in the room, Lecavalier. I just don't think he's going anywhere.


Last edited by Felonious Python: 03-04-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Felonious Python is online now  
Old
02-28-2009, 10:31 AM
  #2
Bolt32
Registered User
 
Bolt32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,752
vCash: 500
Trade Roberts, Recchi and Malik all for draft picks and prospects. If you can maybe trade someone like prospel for a top 2 Dman......thats pretty much about it. Just set us up with a rebuild process, a correct one this time.

Bolt32 is offline  
Old
02-28-2009, 08:41 PM
  #3
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,731
vCash: 500
Trade Recchi for a 2nd+mid level prospect... I think the demand for him will drive the price up nicely.

Trade Roberts for a 3rd-5th round draft pick...again going to depend on the demand as to the value we get for him.

Trade Malik if we can get a bag of pucks for him.

Trade Pettinger for a 3rd-5th draft pick. A Playoff team could probably use him.

Those are the obvious. The not so obvious would be:

Trade Prospal if we get good value for him. Malone has more then taken his spot on the top line and unfortunately it seems without Marty and Vinny, Prospal is rather useless. If we can get a good dman or top draft pick etc for him then I say go for it.

Trade Arty IF and only IF someone is willing to grossly overpay for him. Im talking like 1st round pick or top level winger prospect. I doubt anyone will but you never know on trade deadline day.

Trade Halpern again if we are grossly overpaid. I think hes valuable to any playoff team and if the dominoes fall right he might eve be able to yank a 1st round pick or a 2nd rounder+good prospect type deal for him.


All in all Id expect us to gain at least 3 draft picks and a couple of prospects on Wednesday. Good luck Lawton.

IdealisticSniper is offline  
Old
02-28-2009, 09:32 PM
  #4
peanutvendor
Registered User
 
peanutvendor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: colorado
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Trade Recchi for a 2nd+mid level prospect... I think the demand for him will drive the price up nicely.

Trade Roberts for a 3rd-5th round draft pick...again going to depend on the demand as to the value we get for him.

Trade Malik if we can get a bag of pucks for him.

Trade Pettinger for a 3rd-5th draft pick. A Playoff team could probably use him.

Those are the obvious. The not so obvious would be:

Trade Prospal if we get good value for him. Malone has more then taken his spot on the top line and unfortunately it seems without Marty and Vinny, Prospal is rather useless. If we can get a good dman or top draft pick etc for him then I say go for it.

Trade Arty IF and only IF someone is willing to grossly overpay for him. Im talking like 1st round pick or top level winger prospect. I doubt anyone will but you never know on trade deadline day.

Trade Halpern again if we are grossly overpaid. I think hes valuable to any playoff team and if the dominoes fall right he might eve be able to yank a 1st round pick or a 2nd rounder+good prospect type deal for him.


All in all Id expect us to gain at least 3 draft picks and a couple of prospects on Wednesday. Good luck Lawton.
i agree with recchi, roberts, malik, and pettinger.

we have only a few legit top 6 guys, and prospal is one. everyone knocked him for not producing without vinny and marty, and gues what? HE DID PRODUCE ON THE 3RD LINE. and he wont catch us the type of dman we need. he needs to stay, hes here for the same reason vl and msl are, because he wants to be here. i do not condone prospal moving at all.

arty has made alot of noise in the nhl this year. i say hold onto him 1 more year. if he can get some hands, he will be disgusting. if not, the devastation he provides is always wanted, could get the same return on him next year im sure as this year.
but if he starts scoring he turns into a pseudo-star overnight. who can stop him, keep up with him, and keep him from scoring in the league? hes the type of player we need to give time to gamble on. if hes just a 3rd line checker so be it, he will be one next year too at the same value. scoring arty? god only knows.

yeah i guess i agree with halpern too, but i see him not being moved. overpayment for him would be nice though.

peanutvendor is online now  
Old
02-28-2009, 11:08 PM
  #5
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
Rated [SFY]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 16,424
vCash: 500
A trade deadline primer

http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/...t-deadlin.html

Quote:
Don't expect any windfalls from trades as Wednesday's deadline approaches because the Lightning is not expected to deal any of its big-name players.
Quote:
The Lightning's priorities at the trade deadline are draft picks. Prospects are second. It makes sense as the entire organization needs depth. Consider that the current roster has only six players who were drafted since 1999
Quote:
Given that Tampa Bay will have a very high draft pick this year, GM Brian Lawton believes this is a perfect time to augment the current draft choices, which include a first, two seconds, two fourths, a sixth (from Nashville that will jump to a fifth if Nick Tarnasky plays 55 games), and a seventh.

As Lawton said, "This is an opportunity to increase what we have here. It's an opportunity to add in what is a very deep draft."

TheDaysOf 04 is offline  
Old
03-02-2009, 07:12 PM
  #6
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,033
vCash: 500
Multiple teams have called to inquire about St. Louis. The NYR may be a player b/c of Torts.

http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/200...g-in-play.html

MSL's BFF (besides Vinny) and former Bolt, Eric Perrin hopes he's traded by the deadline. He's not pleased with how his tenure in the ATL has turned out.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp..._deadline.html

Felonious Python is online now  
Old
03-02-2009, 07:18 PM
  #7
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,629
vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Multiple teams have called to inquire about St. Louis. The NYR may be a player b/c of Torts.

http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/200...g-in-play.html

MSL's BFF (besides Vinny) and former Bolt, Eric Perrin hopes he's traded by the deadline. He's not pleased with how his tenure in the ATL has turned out.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp..._deadline.html
Perrin is trash and I will root against any team that is stupid enough to want him on the ice or in their locker room.

__________________
Error 503 Service Unavailable
Going Back to Cally is offline  
Old
03-02-2009, 07:19 PM
  #8
TBLfan
Registered User
 
TBLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
I wouldn't mind Perrin coming back, he's great on the PK... Not soo great on much else, kind of like Hall but with worse teeth and a more rounded head.

I don't think you can justify trading Artyukhin. A guy that big that can skate like he can, with developing hand is tough to find.

TBLfan is offline  
Old
03-02-2009, 07:28 PM
  #9
Sear91
Registered User
 
Sear91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,284
vCash: 500
I would not trade Marty in a million years but IF he does go to NY, he return id be looking for would be somewhere along the lines of Zherdev + 1st + prospect (maybe Korpikoski) + , HIGHLY unlikely.

In the Prospal department, I think he will be dealt. I would die if we could make a package together like Prospal + Recchi/Roberts + 2nd for Setoguchi... but that would NEVER happen.

Other than that, I dont see anything but draft pick moves... no big deal coming imo.

Sear91 is offline  
Old
03-02-2009, 08:24 PM
  #10
Tokala
Registered User
 
Tokala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,871
vCash: 500
Damn, it's Cox. Might as well link to Brooks, Garrioch or Eklund. If Torts tries to acquire any ex-Lightning players it's either Boyle or Richards. There's some locals in St. Pete that are longtime friends of Brad and from what I've heard, there's already been some talk.

Tokala is offline  
Old
03-02-2009, 09:28 PM
  #11
paperclip maniac
 
paperclip maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Orlando
Country: United States
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
one of the biggest pieces of the puzzle would be a two-way defenseman, or just a plain old puck-mover. not a guy with the potential to do this, but can actually do it now...other concerns, we need to find some wingers for Stamkos(yet again), a playmaking winger would be nice. and maybe a big, physical D who won't take stupid penalties.

I think I might be asking for too much, though.

paperclip maniac is offline  
Old
03-02-2009, 10:23 PM
  #12
jg39
SFY is great
 
jg39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,375
vCash: 517
Big bucks, big bucks, no whammies, no whammies...








But FYI, I would want Perrin back too.

jg39 is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:40 AM
  #13
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
Rated [SFY]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 16,424
vCash: 500
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=269562&l...=secStory_main

Perrin has just been waived

TheDaysOf 04 is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:56 AM
  #14
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,033
vCash: 500
Along with everyone else. I swear if TB doesn't kick ass with waiver pickups, then I just don't know.

Felonious Python is online now  
Old
03-03-2009, 01:52 PM
  #15
TBLfan
Registered User
 
TBLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
LOL. A good PK guy can't hurt. I wonder if he can play defense. He'd probably still be better, stronger on the puck and a more physical force than Malik. No, Perrin isn't that good, Malik is that bad.

TBLfan is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 02:38 PM
  #16
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,629
vCash: 169
Chewy and Brandon Segal recalled while only one player is gone.

I hope you are already packed Recchi.

Going Back to Cally is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 03:01 PM
  #17
Sear91
Registered User
 
Sear91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,284
vCash: 500
I see no upgrade with Perrin... none at all.

Sear91 is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 03:09 PM
  #18
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 10,073
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayiandemond View Post
I would not trade Marty in a million years but IF he does go to NY, he return id be looking for would be somewhere along the lines of Zherdev + 1st + prospect (maybe Korpikoski) + , HIGHLY unlikely.

In the Prospal department, I think he will be dealt. I would die if we could make a package together like Prospal + Recchi/Roberts + 2nd for Setoguchi... but that would NEVER happen.

Other than that, I dont see anything but draft pick moves... no big deal coming imo.
Ranger fan, I come in peace.

I enjoy watching the Lightning when I come down to Orlando to visit my sister and I always keep an eye on what they are doing.

I read on the Rangers board that there is interest in MSL because of Tortorella being the new coach.

I have to just say that the Rangers would be looking to add offense but would certainly not be looking to move Zherdev (that being counter productive to their goal). I certainly believe that Korpikoski, Dawes, draft picks, and prospects other than Grachev may be available, including Bobby Sanguinetti and Del Zotto. Do you think the Lightning would be interested in a deal with those types of assets if MSL was in fact available?

My initial thought was probably not, but then again with the way things have done this year I couldn't rule it out entirely.

MisterUnspoken is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 03:17 PM
  #19
peanutvendor
Registered User
 
peanutvendor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: colorado
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Ranger fan, I come in peace.

I enjoy watching the Lightning when I come down to Orlando to visit my sister and I always keep an eye on what they are doing.

I read on the Rangers board that there is interest in MSL because of Tortorella being the new coach.

I have to just say that the Rangers would be looking to add offense but would certainly not be looking to move Zherdev (that being counter productive to their goal). I certainly believe that Korpikoski, Dawes, draft picks, and prospects other than Grachev may be available, including Bobby Sanguinetti and Del Zotto. Do you think the Lightning would be interested in a deal with those types of assets if MSL was in fact available?

My initial thought was probably not, but then again with the way things have done this year I couldn't rule it out entirely.

MSL can be available if marc staal is available, in my opinion.

peanutvendor is online now  
Old
03-03-2009, 03:45 PM
  #20
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 10,073
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutvendor View Post
MSL can be available if marc staal is available, in my opinion.
I can certainly confirm that Marc Staal will probably be a Ranger for a vast majority, if not his entire career. He really is that good and improving.

I know MSL is worth a lot and I see lots of people offer lowball deals for good players, but I think a team takes into consideration cap figures, relative impact the player will have after giving up said assets and would losing a particular asset leave another void too large to fill.

In the case of Marc Staal the void left would be too large to fill. If that is what the Lightning were after (and why wouldn't they at least ask?) the Rangers would probably shift the conversation in another direction.

It would be difficult too for the Lightning to replace MSL's offense, but I think they MAY be more willing to take a risk on younger players, prospects, and draft picks who are cheap. You guys might know that more so than I would.

MisterUnspoken is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 03:46 PM
  #21
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Ranger fan, I come in peace.

I enjoy watching the Lightning when I come down to Orlando to visit my sister and I always keep an eye on what they are doing.

I read on the Rangers board that there is interest in MSL because of Tortorella being the new coach.

I have to just say that the Rangers would be looking to add offense but would certainly not be looking to move Zherdev (that being counter productive to their goal). I certainly believe that Korpikoski, Dawes, draft picks, and prospects other than Grachev may be available, including Bobby Sanguinetti and Del Zotto. Do you think the Lightning would be interested in a deal with those types of assets if MSL was in fact available?

My initial thought was probably not, but then again with the way things have done this year I couldn't rule it out entirely.
Put it this way. The problem with a Marty St Louis trade for this fanbase is it would have to be crazy overpayment for it to be considered a win. Fair value for Marty isnt going to make fans happy here.

Having said that...the type of offer that would leave fans (knowledgeable ones at least) with an "ok it was something that couldnt be said no to" type of response would be along the lines of

Marty St Louis
Eminger

for

Grachev
Staal
1st or 2nd round pick

That is GROSS overpayment by the Rangers no doubt...but that is my point entirely. Im not saying Marty wont be traded for less then that...but I am saying it would take that type of payment to make Lightning fans "ok" with him being traded. Anything less then that and I feel there will be a riot.

IdealisticSniper is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 04:19 PM
  #22
peanutvendor
Registered User
 
peanutvendor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: colorado
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
I can certainly confirm that Marc Staal will probably be a Ranger for a vast majority, if not his entire career. He really is that good and improving.

I know MSL is worth a lot and I see lots of people offer lowball deals for good players, but I think a team takes into consideration cap figures, relative impact the player will have after giving up said assets and would losing a particular asset leave another void too large to fill.

In the case of Marc Staal the void left would be too large to fill. If that is what the Lightning were after (and why wouldn't they at least ask?) the Rangers would probably shift the conversation in another direction.

It would be difficult too for the Lightning to replace MSL's offense, but I think they MAY be more willing to take a risk on younger players, prospects, and draft picks who are cheap. You guys might know that more so than I would.
MSL gone would leave a HUGE void in our top 6, one that would only be justifyable by fixing our other void, which is a #1 defenseman.

2 weaknesses-1. top defensemen 2. wingers. you can do the math.

peanutvendor is online now  
Old
03-03-2009, 04:24 PM
  #23
Sear91
Registered User
 
Sear91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Ranger fan, I come in peace.

I enjoy watching the Lightning when I come down to Orlando to visit my sister and I always keep an eye on what they are doing.

I read on the Rangers board that there is interest in MSL because of Tortorella being the new coach.

I have to just say that the Rangers would be looking to add offense but would certainly not be looking to move Zherdev (that being counter productive to their goal). I certainly believe that Korpikoski, Dawes, draft picks, and prospects other than Grachev may be available, including Bobby Sanguinetti and Del Zotto. Do you think the Lightning would be interested in a deal with those types of assets if MSL was in fact available?

My initial thought was probably not, but then again with the way things have done this year I couldn't rule it out entirely.
I completely agree that it would be counter-productive... I was just trying to figure something that would bring an immediate offensive impact to the team. I know we need the D VERY badly, but I think if we do trade MSL, there would have to be a big name moved our way (Not saying that Staal isn't, but I think MSL for Staal would also be counter-productive).

Sear91 is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 05:41 PM
  #24
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,629
vCash: 169
Recchi is scratched tonight which will end his Lightning career if he doesn't re-sign in the offseason.

I disliked the signing initially but he has impressed me greatly and I am proud to say I got to see a great player like Recchi in a Lightning uniform. I'll be on the bandwagon of the team that acquires him.


Last edited by Going Back to Cally: 03-03-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Going Back to Cally is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 05:53 PM
  #25
Sear91
Registered User
 
Sear91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Recchi is scratched tonight which will end his Lightning career if he doesn't re-sign in the offseason.

I disliked the signing initially but he has impressed me greatly and I am proud to say I got to see a great player like Recchi in a Lightning uniform. I'll be on the bandwagon of the team that acquires him.
I second this. Great player, one of the best ever. A shame we aren't in a playoff position... at least we are getting something it seems.

Sear91 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.