HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Talk (Mar 4 3:00pm)

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2009, 01:04 PM
ImaPuckhead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecavilier_4 View Post
Ya. Trading our only physical D for Krajisuck was a GREAT idea.
I liked SOB as he was a great team mate. However he continually made bad decisions on the ice and got beat too many times to count.

Kraijchek is soft as butter but he is smart with his positioning.

Smaby is better than both of them IMHO and I am glad he got a decent shot this year. He is developing nicely.

So far so good with Lawton and his trades.

I think with what this franchise has done it will take some time (and actions) to earn the Fan's trust.

Old
03-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Guerin for 5th, make playoffs becomes 4th, win a round becomes 3rd. Dumb trade.. why did it take so long? They have been sitting him for days to trade him for nothing.

Old
03-04-2009, 01:11 PM
ViD

Martin Karsums is a 23 year old Latvian forward. He spent last three seasons playing for Providence Bruins and this season he's almost 1 PPG. He also played 6 games for the Bruins getting 1 assist.

He is pretty talented and can develop into a good scorer.

PS I think he has a good chance to play the rest of the season with the Bolts.

Old
03-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Symphony X

I despise Pierre McGuire. Not just a mild dislike, but I actually loathe that man to the depths of my soul.

Am I crazy or was there not a story a couple of days ago where Marty said his agent had been approached and Marty said he would not waive his NTC, he wanted to stay in Tampa?

Even if I am crazy, I still hate McGuire. Honestly they are not going to take another 5 years to get back to the playoffs.

Old
03-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Lecavilier_4

TFP reported that Neil to FLA.... Why??? Neil in the southeast.. ugh.

Old
03-04-2009, 06:49 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 50
Eminger for Noah Welch and a 3rd

Kolzig, Heward, Rodgers, 4th for some minor league defenseman that doesn't matter because it's a cap deal.

Old
03-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Lecavilier_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecavilier_4 View Post
TFP reported that Neil to FLA.... Why??? Neil in the southeast.. ugh.
**good thing I saved this post since HF died when I tried to post it.

Well.. Thank god this didn't come true.. but the day as a whole did not go well.

Recchi Trade:
I really think that Tampa won this trade. We sign Recchi in the offseason, and end up turning him over with a 2nd rd pick, for two excellent prospects. When I heard that Lashoff was removed from practice and then heard that Tampa had traded with the Bruins I had a lot of high hopes. Thankfully it turned out that we got Lashoff. I really want this management group to stick with Lashoff. Don't give up on him part way through next year or anything.

Eminger Trade:
This is where the day went from pretty positive to very poor. We trade Boyle for Carle, Wishart and a 1st. We turned around and traded that first for Meszaors, which was fine with me because when you draft a player you hope that some day they can turn into a Meszaros for your team. Carle was traded very quickly for Downie and Eminger. At first I was a bit upset because I hated Downie in the World Jrs. and was hoping that Carle could do good things. I really liked Eminger and hoped we would re-sign him in the offseason. So now we turn around, and trade Eminger for Noah Welch and a 3rd rd pick. My question is.. why? To dump salary? Did they attempt contract negotiations and they went bad? I am not sure but I don't like it.

Kolzig Trade? What do we call this mess?:
The day went from great, to a bit of disappointment to just absolute frustration. Kolzig is done for the season, Heward is done, Rogers is a bust I guess you could call him and we give a 4th rd pick. We recieve Petiot in return. From a business standpoint I do understand what they are doing but as a fan I am absolutely outraged. This team needs to build on future, this team needs a better prospect pool and this team has to build from the draft. Our ownership and management decides they want to exploit the league for profit? They want to drop their cap number low enough to benefit from league revenue.. are you serious? We give up a 4th rd draft pick, in a rebuilding process, so that our owners can save a bit of money and and maybe benefit from revenue sharing? Am I the only one who sees anything wrong with this?

I am so infuriated right now you have no idea. All year we have been putting up with people calling our ownership and management an absolute joke. While a lot of it was unmerited, this is getting ridiculous. I am tired of this revolving door, I am tired of trading away everyone that we land when they don't "work out" right away. I am tired of this bull **** group running our team. We trade away the only way to rebuild this team, so that they can save some coin. If you can't afford to pay them, if you can't afford to keep this money on your salary.. DON'T SIGN THEM IN THE OFF SEASON. They decided that Smith was their go to guy, and they go sign Kolzig anyways.

I am really starting to see why the team gets so much flak, and it is starting to become apparent that it is all merited.

We trade a 4th, and Eminger, who is a decent young player... to save some coin. **** that... **** this ownership group. If we want to rebuild and not be ****ing terrible, don't do **** like this. If there was a GM Handbook of things not to do, this would be one of them.

Old
03-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Lashoff I've never really been a fan of. He has a tendency to get lost in his defensive zone, but watching a bunch in Providence he definitely has skills handling the puck in the offensive zone and starting rushes. If he can use his size more effectively and get his own zone coverage up to snuff than you guys got a real fine D, otherwise think a slightly speedier Lashoff.

I'm actually more dissapointed at giving up Karsums, even if around these parts he's a very unknown sort of guy. In Providence he's a game breaking forward and everytime he touches the puck he's a threat from the blue line in. In the NHL he actually did look pretty good his last few games but was clear he didn't have a spot in Boston.

I wouldn't say he's a "pure playmaker" but he's definitely defensively responsible, he's DEFINITELy willing to throw around the hits (even though he's smallish for NHL size) and he has a really good wrister than most P-Bruin fans will attest to. Down in the A he does have good vision and can make some good passes on the powerplay and has progressed greatly every season in the AHL and I'm dissapointed he didn't get more of a look.

He's definitely a little cannon ball and if given the chance by an NHL team I think he could be a solid 3rd line player and if his hands keep up with the NHL he could end up a 2nd liner. The guy has been a good offensive player at every other level so far.

I wouldn't say he's an "excellent" prospect in terms of top tier upside but he's a very safe bet to be an NHLer, especially in a bottom six role with the potential to be better for sure. He does all the little things right and I personally hope he becomes a successful top six guy for you as he always gave 100% in providence!

Old
03-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Mr Underhill

Lawton said in his post TD interview that they have been trying to work on an extension with Eminger and his agent for the past couple weeks but couldn't agree on terms. He then said they simply could not afford to pay Eminger what he is going to get in arbitration so thats why he was traded.

As far as the Kolzig blah blah blah trade: I was listening to Hockey Night in Canada radio this afternoon on the way home and they said that the Lightning were trying to manipulate the cap somehow so they fall into an area where they qualify for revenue sharing. So this trade was simply to shed salary so they can get a revenue sharing check this year.

Old
03-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Hey! HFBoards is back up!

Finally

I've been dying to get my analysis of why the Eminger trade could have happened.

Edit: Never mind. I see it was over money.

The Recchi to Boston deal seems pretty good, I hope it'll work out for everybody.

The Toronto trade is just a salary dump. Kolzig and Heward are injured for the rest of the season, so the price for taking them off our hands was Andy Rogers and a 4th. The guy we got back from them is inconsequential.

Old
03-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Lecavilier_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdvda
As far as the Kolzig blah blah blah trade: I was listening to Hockey Night in Canada radio this afternoon on the way home and they said that the Lightning were trying to manipulate the cap somehow so they fall into an area where they qualify for revenue sharing. So this trade was simply to shed salary so they can get a revenue sharing check this year.
I am well aware of the revenue sharing, my beef is that we are in a rebuilding process and instead of cherishing draft picks to replenish the prospect pool, we trade away a 4th round pick so our ownership group can get a little extra money. I think it just shows that the future of the organization's competitiveness is secondary to the allmighty coin. I already stated that I understand it from a business standpoint, but I think to be an owner of a sports team, you have to have a passion for the game and your team and this is clearly in the wrong direction.

Old
03-04-2009, 08:29 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I'm kinda pissed about us giving up players to meet the cap and losing Eminger but I do understand that Heward, Rogers and Kolzig we're all dead weight, so why not improve the financial future of the team? The loss of Eminger hurts the most, IMO. We damned sure better sign a good defenseman in the offseason or I will stop spending dollars on this team altogether.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:23 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
No big trades, I will miss Recchi but I think the potential of the team looks better for next season.

I don't know how the NHL let's the Toronto/Tampa deal go through, that's pretty iffy. Smart though, salary dump for a 4th round pick.

Recchi and Ramsey in Boston... if it wasn't the Bruins, I'd be rooting for those guys.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Mr Underhill

Everybody needs to realize it doesnt really matter what we did this deadline. The success of this team in the near future is going to completely be determined on 2 things:

1) If we are able to draft Hedman

2) If we are able to get a top 2 defenseman through FA

We were not going to trade anything that had enough value to make a significant impact.

If we dont accomplish the 2 things above (especially #2) then we will not compete for a playoff spot next year.

Old
03-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

The trade with Toronto, its like, who cares? Whatever.

I'm happy with the return we got from Boston, Lashoff and Karsums both, and didn't mind giving up the 2nd round pick in 2010 which will be a weaker draft than 2008 and upcoming 2009 from what I've heard.

Also if we are a playoff team next season which is a very real possibility, that 2nd rounder's value decreases even more.

We get two players who can enter our lineup now and play, and next season should be on our roster. I'd like to see Karsums playing with Stamkos.

And I am so ticked about the Eminger deal....makes no sense. Hes played pretty well for us this season and really made me happy with made that trade to get rid of Carle.

Oh well...it really sucks but I guess we shouldn't be surprised about them giving up on defenseman so easily I suppose. Lashoff will probably be gone by the 2nd month of next season, I'm sure.

Anyways....

2009 NHL Entry Draft Top 5 selection, here we come!

Old
03-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Im pleased with the Recchi deal, that was a good one.

First I was annoyed by the Eminger deal but in the final end he wasn't that good, just solid, yes we need solid d-men but it wasn't like the team will do or die with him. He is not worth what he asked for, thats for sure (whatever it might been)

The Toronto deal is fine with me, even if it hurts to loose picks, Rogers is a career AHL player anyway.

But im very pleased to see Malone and Halpern still on the team, that matters more than the trades we made and of course Marty but I was very sure he would stay.

THis day wasn't going to solve our problems, we could have hoped for a few more picks but looking around on the deals we saw a very limited number of picks being traded.

03-05-2009, 12:23 AM
TheDaysOf 04
For The Chief!

so the rest of the season, our D looks like Smaby, Melichar, Malik, Murphy, and Kraijeck + whoever. awesome We look to be in a good position now for a big pick.

here's some vids

Old
03-05-2009, 12:24 AM
IdealisticSniper

The Eminger deal is fine IMO because Eminger would have walked as an UFA in the offseason after he went to arbitration and was awarded 2.5-3M a year and we didnt want to pay what will be a 5/6 dman that much money.

This was a good move by Lawton and company to get a 3rd round pick for what was basically a UFA who didnt want to sign here because his head got big and he thought he was worth more then he really is.

Im happy with all 3 trades (once the info on Eminger came out) and think Lawton did a pretty good job. The salary dump to TO was with Carolinas 4th round pick that we got for absorbing other salaries and saves us some real money that could be spent elsewhere. And obviously the Recchi trade I really like and Im hoping Karsums gets some chemistry with Stamkos and it works out nicely.

Old
03-05-2009, 12:53 AM
LecavaYeahBaby

Send a message via AIM to LecavaYeahBaby Send a message via Yahoo to LecavaYeahBaby Send a message via Skype™ to LecavaYeahBaby
I wanted to keep Eminger around but it seems that he wanted too much from what you guys are saying so if thats the case i can't really blame him. Maybe Welsh can be a 6th Dman who clears the crease. God knows we could use that.

Old
03-05-2009, 05:40 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

So they give Matt Carle a deal for an average of 3.4 mil/year at the beginning of the free agent season to be the #3 D and then they trade Eminger (the #3 D) the same season because he's asking for too much? Even in arbitration, how much did they think he was going to get?

Old
03-05-2009, 06:13 AM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
So they give Matt Carle a deal for an average of 3.4 mil/year at the beginning of the free agent season to be the #3 D and then they trade Eminger (the #3 D) the same season because he's asking for too much? Even in arbitration, how much did they think he was going to get?
I think Carle was already signed.

They are gonna have Ranger, Meszaros, Smaby, Lundin, and Krajicek. All of which (except for Meszaros) will make less than what Eminger would want for next year. Now that they dont have to pay Eminger, they can use that money to try and lure in a legit top pair guy. On top of that they might have to have that money to sign Hedman.

Old
03-05-2009, 06:45 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdvda View Post
I think Carle was already signed.

They are gonna have Ranger, Meszaros, Smaby, Lundin, and Krajicek. All of which (except for Meszaros) will make less than what Eminger would want for next year. Now that they dont have to pay Eminger, they can use that money to try and lure in a legit top pair guy. On top of that they might have to have that money to sign Hedman.
I think the whole Idea of trying to go after a guy like Hedman who seems to be a sure lock to be a top 2 draft pick is pretty idiotic as far as team building goes. At least wait till your sure where exactly your going to be drafting at. As most of you know I'm a huge Smaby fan who has stepped it up big but that should never be expected from any of our prospects, as soon as we do we will be setting ourselves up for failure. Do we even know how much Eminger wanted? I would imagine around 3 mill or less and then we should have jumped on it. With Ranger, Meszaros, Eminger and now Lashoff I was liking our top four. Sure they needed a few years to mold into the D corps we needed to go for that deep run, but we are in a rebuilding process. With Smaby who is improving night in and night out. Were looking pretty damn good if you ask me when it comes to Dman, sure were missing that number 1 or 2 guy but take it in stride, we have till next season to find him. No need to put all our eggs into one basket.

Old
03-05-2009, 06:49 AM
ImaPuckhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
I think the issue is Emminger is playing top 4 here and now but on any other team with an real NHL defense he is a 5 or 6 d man. And we do not want to pay 2-3 mil a year for a 5-6 dman.

I hate to see him go but the reality is he looked good here because there is not much to compare him to. Blue line needs major help this summer. And the forwards could use some depth as well like a winger or 2!

We are officially in the Tank for Tavares sweepstakes! Come on and lets loose the rest of the year and not get anyone else banged up.

Old
03-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
I think the whole Idea of trying to go after a guy like Hedman who seems to be a sure lock to be a top 2 draft pick is pretty idiotic as far as team building goes. At least wait till your sure where exactly your going to be drafting at. As most of you know I'm a huge Smaby fan who has stepped it up big but that should never be expected from any of our prospects, as soon as we do we will be setting ourselves up for failure. Do we even know how much Eminger wanted? I would imagine around 3 mill or less and then we should have jumped on it. With Ranger, Meszaros, Eminger and now Lashoff I was liking our top four. Sure they needed a few years to mold into the D corps we needed to go for that deep run, but we are in a rebuilding process. With Smaby who is improving night in and night out. Were looking pretty damn good if you ask me when it comes to Dman, sure were missing that number 1 or 2 guy but take it in stride, we have till next season to find him. No need to put all our eggs into one basket.
Well first off its pretty clear that we're gonna get a top 5 (probably 3) pick. So anyone that we draft will most likely have to get a rookie maximum contract. So we do have to prepare for that.

Second, it would be absolutely stupid for this franchise not to have both eyes honed in on Hedman. And you cant compare Hedman to our crop of defensive prospects. This is a possible generational defensive talent who would immediately be slotted in our lineup next year. If Schenn, Doughty, and Bogosian can start their rookie year, Victor Hedman sure as hell can. You can call it a tank, or whatever you want, but our lineup for the rest of the year suggests that we are going to royally suck for the rest of the year and have a damn good chance at that 2 spot.

And that top 4 that you had mentioned above is just not going to cut it. We might be rebuilding, but we are gearing up for the next couple years not 4-5 years from now. We are not that far off. We are one or 2 defenders away from making a serious run. But a top 4 of Ranger, Meszaros, Eminger, and Lashoff is not gonna cut it. That is a rotation without an ace. And a team needs an ace to compete for a title. And if getting rid of Eminger helps us save enough money to go out and get an ace in FA, then it was the right move.

Old
03-05-2009, 07:12 AM
Bruwinz37

You guys will really like Karsums if he plays like he did in Providence. He is a bull on skates and hits like a truck. Unfortunately he played way too conservatively in Providence.

Lashoff--you either will strike gold on or dump him within 18 mos. Extremely talented, great skater....played scared every time he came to Boston.

Overall I love getting Recchi and a 2nd for those two guys. Makes us better now and these are two guys who are replaceable with other prospects.

Good luck the rest of the year and good luck with your current front office.....looks like you may need it.

Closed Thread