Old
03-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Flames 1st pick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! View Post
7-second line forward, journeyman no.1
andrew cassels,arnott, roloson, hackett

They both have more potential than that.
Nemisz doesnt have more potential than Arnott.

Irving? I dont know, I think he would be lucky to be at Roloson level as well.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:15 AM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
Nemisz doesnt have more potential than Arnott.

Irving? I dont know, I think he would be lucky to be at Roloson level as well.
Haven't you heard? The Flames are retiring Nemisz jersey this season. Worst case scenario has him turning into Bobby Hull. He should be rated 14A.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Brad Gardner
Hockey's Future Staff

Hey guys, thanks for all the comments. As far as Puustinen and Ryder are concerned, they are both still listed on the Flames website under the "In the System" tab. I opted to include them for that reason.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure about the regular Flames writer's situation - the position appears to be open.

Brad Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gardner View Post
Hey guys, thanks for all the comments. As far as Puustinen and Ryder are concerned, they are both still listed on the Flames website under the "In the System" tab. I opted to include them for that reason.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure about the regular Flames writer's situation - the position appears to be open.
Hey Brad,
thanks for the clarification. May you comment on some of the other points of criticism as well, in particular the rating of Irving and Nemisz. As you can see, even the Flames fans around here are somewhat torn how to rate them, some believe they should receive an 8.0, while others are content with a 7.X
With whom do you compare these guys? Were there any references you used for their rating (e.g. some Blackhawks' prospects)?

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Body Checker

With the trade deadline upon us I hope Sutter doesn't trade any what I consider our core prospects:

G- Irving
D- Aulie, Negrin, Brodie
F- Backlund, Nemisz, Wahl

Pelech, Chucko, Armstrong, Keetley, Marvin, etc. could go in my opinion if we get a quality veteran back for a playoff run.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:11 PM
mcb4life17

Quick question from a B's fan. It appears our AHL affiliate in Providence has signed Dan Ryder to a tryout contract. The question has been raised as to whether the Flames still hold his NHL rights or not. I was hoping someone here would be able to shine some light on the subject. Not expecting much from him this season but curious to see if he is able to get his game together as to whether we would be able to see the Ryder brothers together on the B's.

mcb4life17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Brad Gardner
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoil11 View Post
Hey Brad,
thanks for the clarification. May you comment on some of the other points of criticism as well, in particular the rating of Irving and Nemisz. As you can see, even the Flames fans around here are somewhat torn how to rate them, some believe they should receive an 8.0, while others are content with a 7.X
With whom do you compare these guys? Were there any references you used for their rating (e.g. some Blackhawks' prospects)?
While my part in this was mainly the write-up, I can try to shed some light on the ratings. As people have mentioned, the rating system is difficult to put to good use. It isn't easy to apply a subjective scale to these rankings, which are purely objective. Personally, I think the ratings are best used to compare players on the same team and just as a general idea of how prospects from different teams may compare.

In terms of the specific cases, I agree that Nemisz' rating seems low. Troy Brouwer of the Blackhawks is a pretty similar player - power forward with a prolific junior career - and is rated a 7.5C. It is likely Nemisz was already a 7.0 and no one saw it fit to change that. Backlund, on the other hand, came up in discussions and we opted to raise him to an 8.5C.

The goalies were also a topic of discussion. Keep in mind we are trying to do these rankings in terms of potential given a player's full career, and not necessarily who is having the better season right now. A number of us agreed that the goalie prospects are closer than the previous rankings suggested. This led to Irving getting knocked down (0.5, I think) while Keetley and Lalande were nudged up. Like Nemisz, Irving also seems low to me - but in the context of the team top 20, I think he is in the right spot. If it makes you feel better, the 'Hawks' Corey Crawford has been "future no. 1" since the beginning of time but is only rated 7.0C.

Sorry I can't give a better explanation - hope it helps make the process a little clearer, though.

Brad Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
@Brad:
These comments were very much appreciated. Thanks for "defending your position" and explaining the process of grading.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 05:21 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb4life17 View Post
Quick question from a B's fan. It appears our AHL affiliate in Providence has signed Dan Ryder to a tryout contract. The question has been raised as to whether the Flames still hold his NHL rights or not. I was hoping someone here would be able to shine some light on the subject. Not expecting much from him this season but curious to see if he is able to get his game together as to whether we would be able to see the Ryder brothers together on the B's.
As far as I've know Ryder has been suspended by the flames. I assume the flames still hold his rights, but with him signing with another team maybe not.

A Quad City writer had an article saying his contract had been terminiated by the flames. Had no idea a team could do that and don't know how it works. Safe to say though he has no future with the flames as Sutter and the organization have already gave him a couple chances.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
As far as I've know Ryder has been suspended by the flames. I assume the flames still hold his rights, but with him signing with another team maybe not.

A Quad City writer had an article saying his contract had been terminiated by the flames. Had no idea a team could do that and don't know how it works. Safe to say though he has no future with the flames as Sutter and the organization have already gave him a couple chances.
the flames will still hold his NHL rights for 1 more year... he still has a contract with Calgary... however they can allow him to sign with another minor league affiliate

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:20 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
the flames will still hold his NHL rights for 1 more year... he still has a contract with Calgary... however they can allow him to sign with another minor league affiliate
If the Flames have his rights I assume they would trade Ryder in exchange for say one of Boston's prospects or a pick... to make the whole saga not all for nothing?

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote