Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Post-game with Anaheim

Old
02-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Kritter471

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
He blocked a shot off a not-well-padded part of his knee earlier in the game and was very limited afterwards.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
I think two things probably prevented Stars from jumping in.

A.) The Ducks had a relatively goonish lineup. The first guy to jump to Ott's defense was going to get Pronger, and that would not end well.

B.) Fear of suspension for starting a line-brawl after the buzzer.

I hate it, but I also understand it, particularly given the lineup that was out there. By the time anyone realized what was going on, Ott and Moen were already squared up.
The Ducks didn't have a 'goonish' line in the game. They had defensive players plus Getzlaf who Carlyle put in for the faceoff (Tippet should have countered with Sutherby to match strength versus strength, but he put in the Stars' weakest center).

I don't think anyone would have expected a line brawl, but there's a difference between going in and fighting someone versus just pairing up. The extra skater could have easily separated Ott and Moen or at least forced the newly formed pile to move that direction, thus forcing the linesmen to step in. Instead, no one did anything. Heck, Modano was probably already taking a shower.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:01 PM
vofty

I kind of wish Barch had jumped from the bench and just taken the 10 game penalty. He only played 2:38 tonight anyway.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Kritter471

Heee, you're right about Modano.

Goonish was too strong. I consider Moen and Pronger goonish, but they also have their roles (kinda like Ott - there are reasons other than fighting that they're out there). Getzlaf can get goonish, but again, he's not a goon. So that's three of five who will fight, then Niedermayer and whoever. But I know Pronger was definitely sniffing for a piece of Ott, and I can't blame those five for not wanting a piece of Pronger, moron that he is.

Who knows - maybe this brings them together in a weird way, that they get embarrassed for not standing up for a teammate and they refocus. I hope it does, and I hope in a way it snaps them out of their recent funk.

Maybe the next step for Eriksson is boxing lessons. Someone needs to get on that.

Old
03-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Chad_

Selanne was the other Duck out there. Selanne, Niedermayer and Getzlaf (he's wearing a shield) wouldn't have done anything. Pronger and Moen were the only ones.

But the point is, it wasn't a goon line or really anything close to it. Pronger is really just a big, dumb animal, so by the time he would have figured out anything was going on his team would be back on the plane to Anaheim. And the Stars could and should have at least engaged in the pairing off to talk which happens during every scrum. The extra man would have forced everyone to close in on Moen-Ott, thus forcing the linesmen to break it up.

Old
03-01-2009, 01:06 AM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
He blocked a shot off a not-well-padded part of his knee earlier in the game and was very limited afterwards.
I remember that. Is that why he got danced so hard by Ryan that one time? We got deked like crazy in the first couple periods tonight, I just watched the game. Pitiful that we couldn't win after such a great comeback. Sydor was awful as usual, Turco obviously needs some rest, and this team is going to sink hard to make up for that lockout lottery we're all talking about. At least at this rate.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Sydor sucks.

That's all I have to say.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Initiating a fight after the game was over is suspension worthy as well is it not?

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:10 PM
vofty

According to rule 84 Giguere could have gotten a match penalty as well

Quote:
goalkeeper who uses his blocking glove to the head or face of an opponent*
The asterisks is about if there is an injury then the penalty must be assessed

Moen should have gotten an instigator and possibly an aggressor rule 56

Quote:
An instigator of an altercation shall be a player who by his actions or demeanor demonstrates any/some of the following criteria: distance traveled; gloves off first; first punch thrown; menacing attitude or posture; verbal instigation or threats; conduct in retaliation to a prior game (or season) incident; obvious retribution for a previous incident in the game or season.

The aggressor in an altercation shall be the player who continues to throw punches in an attempt to inflict punishment on his opponent who is in a defenseless position or who is an unwilling combatant. A player must be deemed the aggressor when he continues throwing and landing punches in a further attempt to inflict punishment and/or injury on his opponent who is no longer in a position to defend himself.

Automatic suspensions assessed to players who are deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five (5) minutes of regulation time or at any time in overtime, shall be served in addition to any other automatic suspensions a player may incur for an accumulation of three or more Instigator penalties.
Reason I put the possible aggressor in there is I have no doubt he knew Ott couldn't fight, someone had already tried to drop the gloves with Ott earlier in the game and I have a hard time believing they didn't talk about it on the bench (and call him some dirty names). Might be hard to prove he knew it though.

Last edited by vofty: 03-01-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old
03-01-2009, 12:40 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Moen and jiggy hopefully get at least a game each. If Ott gets at least game then so do they

edit: good find DoesURchickenFLY

DaStars99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Part of me wishes we would get Laraque for the rest of the season.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 07:36 PM
vofty

An article from Durrett at DMN, has comments from Robidas, Sydor, and Modano about the debacle at the end of the game. Lost another huge chuck of respect for Mo. and have a little bit more love for Robidas

Robi:
Quote:
I should have probably stepped in there and done something. I know he would do something, if I were in trouble, he'd come and rescue me."
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...eve-ott-f.html

Old
03-01-2009, 07:53 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
just as bad today when nobody went to even check on Sydor after malkin's dirty hit. With Modano, meh it is another case of foot-in-mouth disease.

DaStars99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 07:53 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
An article from Durrett at DMN, has comments from Robidas, Sydor, and Modano about the debacle at the end of the game. Lost another huge chuck of respect for Mo. and have a little bit more love for Robidas

Robi:

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...eve-ott-f.html
You should have quoted Modano. His comments are shocking.

Quote:
Mike Modano said that "of course, you look at it now and if it didn't happen that fast, someone could have gone in there and separated them."

Modano said the guys on the ice have "a handful of fights" in their careers. He also talked about the situation Ott put himself in:

"It's a matter of putting yourself in that situation to begin with," Modano said. "The game is over and he and Niedermayer were still going at it for five or eight seconds, giving it to each other.
"The game is over. What is going to be accomplished after the buzzer is gone. I'm sure in the heat of the moment, he wanted to grab someone and try to give it to them. His situation is what it is. He's on double secret probation with the league. Anything he tip-toes around he could be in trouble. He's a diehard. He's going to hang in there and do what he feels is right at the time. Now he's looking at this situation."
Way to support the team. Syd, Robi, and Tippett only care about the fact a teammate was left taking on 3 or 4 guys with a broken hand. Modano wants to make sure everyone knows that Ott deserved it. I hope this recent slide motivates him to retire. 1 year of $3.45 million in dead space would be worth it.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Modano is a gutless whiner. Oh I'd trade him today to Columbus if I thought for a second it were possible. Jesus every time he opens his mouth I like him less and less. He basically threw Ott under the bus.

Regardless of whether Ott is right or wrong he's your teammate and a guy who's stuck up for you plenty of times. Be smart enough or respectful enough to shut your mouth or at least not trash your own teammate. **** you Mike. That's bush league.

The next time someone starts something with you the guys should do nothing to come to your rescue. Obviously you'd deserve it.

Hull Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:08 PM
vofty

yea kind of makes me wish Winchester had beat Modano's ass a little more.

This is a prime example of why he is not our captain and Brenden is, Mo proceeds to tell everything Ott did wrong to deserve it and I don't think there is a doubt in anyone's mind (mine at least) that Morrow would have been in there doing whatever it took to protect Otter.

For what it's worth BigG the reason I didn't include Mo's comments was I wanted to make the trolls work a little to get the fodder, I knew Stars fans would look, eh maybe I'm just paranoid.

Old
03-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Chad_

"The game is over and he and Niedermayer were still going at it for five or eight seconds, giving it to each other." - Modano

He obviously hasn't seen a replay of it as it clearly shows that's just not accurate. But what did we really expect him to say? Modano hates the rough part of hockey. At this point he's nothing more than Brian Boitano with a hockey stick.

Old
03-01-2009, 08:31 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
This is nothing new, it's just a reiteration of his thoughts from the Boston game.

Mo identifies with players who play the game the way he does before his own teammates. You can assign your own value judgment to that.

Ott deserved to get jumped, but he also deserved to have teammates that would defend him.

Last edited by piqued: 03-01-2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling
piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:59 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Modano is a gutless whiner. Oh I'd trade him today to Columbus if I thought for a second it were possible. Jesus every time he opens his mouth I like him less and less. He basically threw Ott under the bus.

Regardless of whether Ott is right or wrong he's your teammate and a guy who's stuck up for you plenty of times. Be smart enough or respectful enough to shut your mouth or at least not trash your own teammate. **** you Mike. That's bush league.

The next time someone starts something with you the guys should do nothing to come to your rescue. Obviously you'd deserve it.
Not sure if I'm quite done venting, Mo is a *****, I hope he retires at the end of the season.

And Piqued I agree 100%
Quote:
Ott deserved to get jumped, but he also deserved to have teammates that would defend him.

Last edited by vofty: 03-01-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old
03-01-2009, 10:04 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Ott got suspended for the eye gouging he did at the end of the fight. That is the main reason for the suspension and what they are calling "intent to injure".

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Kritter471

Almost, but not quite.

He got suspended because the hand that got in Moen's eye was the hand with a cast. Both he and Moen agree the gouge was accidental (well, to be fair, Moen just doesn't dispute that the gouge might have been accidental).

If you injure, and gouging is "injuring" whether or not there is a lasting affect, an opponent with a hand that has something on it, it's an automatic "intent to injure" match penalty and indefinite suspension pending review by the league.

I swear, I'm going to make a macro of that because no one understands it and everyone is repeating it incorrectly.

Old
03-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Kritter471

I'm not in Dallas and can't see the local TV, but apparently Modano went on live with Doocey (Doocy? shoot) and furiously backpedaled about the Ott comments.

He has such a chronic case of foot-in-mouth, but at least I never think he's lying.

Old
03-01-2009, 10:36 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
Not sure if I'm quite done venting, Mo is a *****, I hope he retires at the end of the season.

And Piqued I agree 100%
When was the clip from? I noticed Modano was still captain. Anyway, how funny is that this season, Razor says fighting someone over a big hit isn't a good move (a la Daley Saturday to name one). On the other hand, he calls it "old time hockey" when Ott lays into a guy for a big, clean hit on Modano.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:48 PM
vofty

The clip is from 2005. I bet if the stars had better depth at defense Razor wouldn't have said a word about Daley's activities yesterday. But as it is he is one of our best without a hole lot of replacements and he was gone for a long while. And yes I know he has had a rough couple of games, but a couple of games does not negate how important he is to the team.

Kritter you got a link to that interview anywhere?

Old
03-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Kritter471

Nope.

My dad saw it and called me to tell me about it. All I know is it was tonight and dad said it looked like Mike was in studio. It was Fox 4, so if they put the show up online or in podcast form, I'd look for it there.