HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

STL interested in Pronger?

Old
02-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Most of our secondary prospects are premium prospects to most other teams. Kids like Cole and Palushaj have a future ahead of them in the NHL. The only way we move kids like Pietrangelo is if one Bobby Ryan is coming back in the deal as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBC View Post
Perron isn't heading anywhere.
That's exactly why this rumor, true or false, doesn't make much sense. The Blues don't really need Pronger right now. I'm not letting you in on a secret when I tell you they won't win the Cup this or next year, with or without Pronger. They are still developing kids, not giving them up. But when the Ducks move him, that's what they'll be looking for, at least to a certain degree. I can't see the Blues giving up that. And then, they won't land Pronger...

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 09:53 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
That's exactly why this rumor, true or false, doesn't make much sense. The Blues don't really need Pronger right now. I'm not letting you in on a secret when I tell you they won't win the Cup this or next year, with or without Pronger. They are still developing kids, not giving them up. But when the Ducks move him, that's what they'll be looking for, at least to a certain degree. I can't see the Blues giving up that. And then, they won't land Pronger...
No we don't need Pronger but he would certainly help. It would almost guarantee sell outs for the rest of the year and also be a move that could help season ticket sales for next year. It would also give us a superior mentor on the ice for our young d-men. There are valid reasons for going after him so I can understand management at least entertaining the thought.

I have faith that JD & Co recognize the importance of our youngsters and have a fairly level head and nose for a good deal so if they get him they won't get fleeced.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
No we don't need Pronger but he would certainly help. It would almost guarantee sell outs for the rest of the year and also be a move that could help season ticket sales for next year. It would also give us a superior mentor on the ice for our young d-men. There are valid reasons for going after him so I can understand management at least entertaining the thought.

I have faith that JD & Co recognize the importance of our youngsters and have a fairly level head and nose for a good deal so if they get him they won't get fleeced.
Oh, don't get me wrong, of course Pronger could help them - he would help every team in the game. But there are teams trying to win it all this season, and there are plenty. Those have a different level of desperation to get an asset like Pronger than the Blues, who I'd assume have a " 'twould be nice" kinda attitude... I can see quite a few teams paying the big prices for Pronger - I can understand the Blues entertaining the idea, but I can't see them spending close to anywhere those other teams will...

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
I hope so, he looked great with the Blues.

Joey McMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Rickety Cricket

Just letting you know now, Murderin Murphy is interested in Pronger. Start the rumors.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 10:10 PM
vancityluongo
undisputed genius

vCash: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
Just letting you know now, Murderin Murphy is interested in Pronger. Start the rumors.
An unnamed source is reporting to me that a jealous Mrs. Pronger is gonna be "Murderin" Murphy. (e5)

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Most of our secondary prospects are premium prospects to most other teams. Kids like Cole and Palushaj have a future ahead of them in the NHL. The only way we move kids like Pietrangelo is if one Bobby Ryan is coming back in the deal as well.
Yeah but none of your prospects are worth Bobby Ryan right now, i'm sorry but guys like Palushaj and Cole will not be high impact players. You want Pronger start with Petro or Perron...but I'd rather send Pronger east.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Randall Ritchey
TFP Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Yeah but none of your prospects are worth Bobby Ryan right now, i'm sorry but guys like Palushaj and Cole will not be high impact players. You want Pronger start with Petro or Perron...but I'd rather send Pronger east.
Petro could argue that one. COULD.
Good thing we aren't considering Berglund or Oshie prospects anymore either.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Jeffro

Quote:
Cole will be. I don't know if it will be in St. Louis, because I think there's a little friction with the organization, but Ian Cole will be an impact player in the NHL. Palushaj, harder to tell. Tons of guys score in buckets in the NCAA and then wash out in the NHL. He could be TJ Oshie, or he could be Peter Sejna.

Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Randall Ritchey
TFP Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
Cole will be. I don't know if it will be in St. Louis, because I think there's a little friction with the organization, but Ian Cole will be an impact player in the NHL. Palushaj, harder to tell. Tons of guys score in buckets in the NCAA and then wash out in the NHL. He could be TJ Oshie, or he could be Peter Sejna.

That is a name that was really DISAPPOINTING!!

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
Petro could argue that one. COULD.
Good thing we aren't considering Berglund or Oshie prospects anymore either.
Well I don't think we'd move Ryan for either of them 1 for 1 to be honest

Old
03-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Cole I see as a 3/4 type D just based on what he's shown in college

Old
03-01-2009, 08:16 AM
jmwc95

Why give up prospects for 1+ years of Pronger, when we aren't going to win the Cup next year, and St. Louis will be one of his top destinations when he is a UFA in 16 months? On top of that, we'd have to get rid of McKee AND Brewer BEFORE we could afford Pronger and have enough roster spots for our young guys.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:17 AM
jmwc95

Quote:
I'm a Blues fan and I think that's a fair assesment.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Jeffro

Quote:
Well, it depends on what you're counting as an "impact player," I guess, because I'd agree that's his career path. But I think a guy who can play 18-20 minutes a night and kill penalties for ten years is an impact guy.

Old
03-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Quaz

Quote:
Well I don't think we'd move Ryan for either of them 1 for 1 to be honest
Bobby Ryan is a year older than Berglund. IMO I think Berglund will be a better player over the course of his career.

BTW, doesn't Pronger have a NTC or NMC in his contract? I think that would limit Anaheims options on moving him. I think the Blues are confident that Petro will develop and won't move him for Pronger, and I don't think Anaheim will get anyone to offer up what they think Pronger is worth and they will keep him this year and next year and then he will leave as a UFA.

If all the Blues prospects develop as they think they will be able to move a couple for a good goalie, which I think is their weakest postion depthwise.

Quaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quas View Post
BTW, doesn't Pronger have a NTC or NMC in his contract? I think that would limit Anaheims options on moving him.
No, he does not have one.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
I still think a 2010 First + Sonne/Palushaj + Junland would be fair.
Quote:
Nope not even close, you need to give up something worth while for Pronger, sorry.
1. If you think that a first-round pick, plus either a guy who has 40+ goals in his graduation year in the best junior league in the world or one of the top players in US college hockey, plus a solid 20-year-old defenseman with offensive upside, isn't "worth while," then I don't know what to say to you.

2. Why should the Blues trade anything for Pronger? As was previously noted, they're not winning the Cup this year even if they add him, so why not wait until next year when Backes, Berglund, Oshie, Perron, etc. all have another year (and some playoff experience) under their belts, and they can get Pronger for nothing more than the cost of a big contract?

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Cole will be. I don't know if it will be in St. Louis, because I think there's a little friction with the organization, but Ian Cole will be an impact player in the NHL.
Specifics, please...

P_B

Old
03-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
...none of (St. Louis') prospects are worth Bobby Ryan right now...
Yeah... OK...

P_B

Old
03-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPS View Post
I keep hearing this from multiple sources, but Dreger is usually on top of things when it comes to trade rumors. Who do you think Anaheim would be interested in, and what is the feasibility of a trade that would bring Pronger back to St. Louis?

I can't provide a link, but it's on TSN's video player, titled "Making a List."
I highly doubt it. It would cost the Blues valuable picks and prospects to make such a move. IMO the Blues arent going to sell the future for a chance at making the playoffs.

I would be shocked if Pronger was acquired by the Blues. Its not worth it...

It's not the Blues time to shine quite yet.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Jeffro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Specifics, please...

P_B
Not much. Just little inklings here and there. Strickland reported a while back that he's going to spend all four years at ND at the Blues weren't too thrilled about it, he's definitely behind EJ and Petro and maybe behind Polak on the depth chart, he doesn't get the organizational hype that guys like Eller and Petro do...it just seems to me like he's fading a bit off the radar. Wouldn't shock me to see him as trade bait, and that's a spot of depth for the Blues.

Old
03-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

The most I'd be willing to give up from the Blues POV would be:

1st in 2009, 1st in 2010, Roman Polak, 1 of Steve Wagner/Jeff Woywitka/Jonas Junland, 1 of Brett Sonne/Jori Lehtera/Aaron Palushaj

I wouldn't give up core roster players, nor blue-chip prospects...but they still have an awful lot of valuable trade commodities with which to make a deal. Value-wise, this isn't a whole lot different than what Pronger returned in his previous trades.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post

1st in 2009, 1st in 2010, Roman Polak, 1 of Steve Wagner/Jeff Woywitka/Jonas Junland, 1 of Brett Sonne/Jori Lehtera/Aaron Palushaj

I wouldn't give up core roster players, nor blue-chip prospects...but they still have an awful lot of valuable trade commodities with which to make a deal. Value-wise, this isn't a whole lot different than what Pronger returned in his previous trades.
Why even risk it?

Its not worth it.

The Blues would have to be insane to trade away 1st round picks at this point for an aging Pronger.

Pronger does absolutely nothing for the Blues future.

Now if the Blues are talking about 1st round picks, prospects and a young D man like JJ from LA that would be a different story.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post

Sorry, Stealth, but IMO that's a huge overpayment.

Look, Pronger is one of the best defensemen in the game. No argument on that score. But not even Bobby Orr or Doug Harvey in their primes would make this Blues' club a legit contender this season. They're just not quite there yet.

I know a hot goalie can take you a long way, and Mason is definitely a hot goalie right now, but the Blues have to make the playoffs first. Adding Pronger might make that a little easier, but realistically, they still have a long way to go just to get in, and even if/when they do, having Pronger around isn't going to be what puts them over the top and into the parade down Market Street in JUne.

What your speculative proposal above does for the Blues, is carve a big chunk out of the near-term future, when the Blues' chances of making some noise are much improved... and more importantly, their chances of sustaining that level of play for a good long while are much improved with the pieces you say you'd be willing to trade away for Pronger.

P_B