HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

STL interested in Pronger?

Old
03-01-2009, 10:47 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
What's the point of all this Ryan nonsense? If Anaheim is shipping Pronger, they're selling and looking for future pieces. (Murray has stated not too far in the future though... NHL ready in a year). Who cares if St. Louis would trade ____ for Ryan 1 for 1 or not, it's not happening because Anaheim needs him for the rebuild.

Talk about potential Pronger pieces.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Randall Graves*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Perron and Berglund are both 20, scoring at a more-than-acceptable pace, on rookie deals, and haven't had to spend any time in the AHL.

Oshie's 22, also on a rookie deal, and scoring at a faster pace (0.622 pts/G) than either Berglund and Perron (both just over 0.600 pts/G). Oshie has also not had to spend any time in the AHL, has missed some time to injury, and plays the same kind of straight-ahead physical game as Ryan -- every bit as effectively, too -- despite being a few inches shorter and a few pounds lighter.

Bobby Ryan's a damn fine prospect, but he's hardly miles ahead of Perron, Berglund, and Oshie the way you seem to think. I wouldn't trade any of them straight up for Ryan.

Oh, by the way... Oshie, Berglund and Perron were all drafted quite a bit lower in the first round (24th, 25th, and 26th, respectively) than the second-overall pick Ryan... and are very much on a par with Ryan in terms of their demonstrated NHL performance and long-term potential.

P_B
Yeah but bottom line is, Ryan is better than all of those guys and he was never expected to make an impact early, he was drafted as a project so to me it's really irrelevant how he did as a 20 year old as opposed to those you named

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
I'd accept this bet in a heartbeat and start planning how to spend your money, because I can guarantee the Blues would hang up if Ryan was offered straight-up for Oshie or Berglund, and would give a terse "no thanks" if he was offered straight-up for Perron. There's no way in hell he's throwing in more with either of those three to get Ryan.
And the ducks would lol right back at the thought of trading Ryan for Perron or Berglund

Old
03-01-2009, 11:25 PM
jmwc95

Look at what Pronger returned the last two times he got traded. This time he's older and only has 1 year left on his contract. The return for him is not going to be huge, so there is no need for the Ducks to trade him at the deadline. He probably won't be moved until the offseason.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:02 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Yeah but bottom line is, Ryan is better than all of those guys and he was never expected to make an impact early, he was drafted as a project so to me it's really irrelevant how he did as a 20 year old as opposed to those you named
So, are the Ducks in a habit of drafting projects at #2 overall?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
I hope they're in the habit of drafting the player with the best combo of upside and likelihood to achieve their potential. If it's a project, so be it.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:57 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Their in the habit of not letting popular opinion affect their scouting otherwise we'd be watching Gilbert Brule skate around as a Porker

Old
03-02-2009, 06:14 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
Look at what Pronger returned the last two times he got traded. This time he's older and only has 1 year left on his contract. The return for him is not going to be huge, so there is no need for the Ducks to trade him at the deadline. He probably won't be moved until the offseason.
The main reason I agree with this is caphit. Anaheim can get far better deals for Pronger in the offseason than they can at the trade deadline because teams have all summer to move contracts to get their caphit together for the following season.

Unless there is a desperation deal out there for Murray to exploit, they are gauging Prongers value right now and that is it. That said I completely wouldn't be surprised to see him trade by the draft.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
his wife wants him back in st louis.. id put my money on pronger to stl. either now or draft.

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:39 AM
bustoff

I wouldn't want him back for any of the prospects we have. I don't know what it is with St. Louis fans and players they once had (i.e. Shanny).

bustoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 07:06 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustoff View Post
I wouldn't want him back for any of the prospects we have. I don't know what it is with St. Louis fans and players they once had (i.e. Shanny).
Actually if you remove your blinders you might notice that most fanbases are that way about their former players. My main reason for wanting Pronger back has nothing to do with that and everything to do with what he still brings to the game, a more than decent outlet pass. Most offences begin with that key element and without it, it can be pretty difficult to get the cycle going.

Prongers skills are diminishing but he's still got gas in the tank.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Guti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
Wow, your GM is pretty damn dumb then. Ryan is easily the best of the group. The kid is something very special, and I don't see how Oshie, Berglund or Perron even remotely compares to the guy.

Now if you're saying that Oshie, Perron and Berglund are not something special, you are either still bitter that St. Louis traded you Weight for Berglund, and afterwards signed Weigth back OR you do not have any hockey knowledge.

Guti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
And the ducks would lol right back at the thought of trading Ryan for Perron or Berglund
Great! That settles it then - Anaheim is thrilled with Ryan and wouldn't want Berglund, Oshie or Perron; St. Louis is thrilled with Berglund, Oshie and Perron and wouldn't want Ryan.

/discussion on Ryan

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Jeffro

JD was on KMOX in St. Louis this morning and said that he couldn't discuss any players who were under contract to other teams, but said that if Anaheim was interested in trading "very, very good" players that the Blues would have interest in acquiring such.

Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
JD was on KMOX in St. Louis this morning and said that he couldn't discuss any players who were under contract to other teams, but said that if Anaheim was interested in trading "very, very good" players that the Blues would have interest in acquiring such.

sweet...they're going after Getzlaf

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:09 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustoff View Post
While St. Louis sports fans seem on the surface to be more nostalgic than other cities (Shanny, Willie McGee), acquiring Pronger doesn't really fall into that category because he's much younger and still very much an impact player. This is not some swan song. He's only 3 spring's removed from one of the most dominating performances by a defenseman in the playoffs I've seen in 20 years. JD and Pleau have proven themselves to be shrewd traders since the lockout and the Blues will not get shredded in this potential trade...if Anaheim is asking too much then they are asking too much. But we have the assets, and we can afford to part with high picks because of the terrific drafting by Jarmo and Co. since 2003. I don't see how any Blues fan wouldn't be excited about the notion of Pronger coming back to STL to anchor our blueline with EJ for the next 4 years.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:40 PM
EL Bandito

Send a message via MSN to EL Bandito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guti View Post
Now if you're saying that Oshie, Perron and Berglund are not something special, you are either still bitter that St. Louis traded you Weight for Berglund, and afterwards signed Weigth back OR you do not have any hockey knowledge.
Actually we traded Weight for Andy Mcdonald. We drafted Berglund 25th overall in '06. Hockey knowledge?

EL Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:51 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Bandito View Post
Actually we traded Weight for Andy Mcdonald. We drafted Berglund 25th overall in '06. Hockey knowledge?
He may be right if he thought Guti was a Carolina fan because we traded Weight for Zigomanis, Boulerice, Shiskanov, and the 2006 30th overall pick. We swapped picks with NJ to move up to the 25th overall pick. So, in a way, we did trade Weight for Berglund.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
He may be right if he thought Guti was a Carolina fan because we traded Weight for Zigomanis, Boulerice, Shiskanov, and the 2006 30th overall pick. We swapped picks with NJ to move up to the 25th overall pick. So, in a way, we did trade Weight for Berglund.
Wow..that was a horrid trade....

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
Wow..that was a horrid trade....
Carolina won the cup that year, I'm fairly certain that was the point of getting a UFA rental in Weight. I'd say they actually made a good trade in hindsight.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
Carolina won the cup that year, I'm fairly certain that was the point of getting a UFA rental in Weight. I'd say they actually made a good trade in hindsight.
I meant for the Blues.

Old
03-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
I meant for the Blues.
Weight for Berglund is bad?

Anyway, Pronger is aging and I am not so sure he would be a good fit in STL. At the cost, I would not be wiling to take that chance.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
Weight for Berglund is bad?

Anyway, Pronger is aging and I am not so sure he would be a good fit in STL. At the cost, I would not be wiling to take that chance.
Pay attention. The original trade. 30th overall, T.Shishkanov, M.Zigomanis, and J.Boulerice.

Berglund deal is a different deal entirely.

Old
03-03-2009, 12:01 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Why would STL pay the price to acquire Pronger when they might not even make the playoffs?

Pronger is getting old, and STL would be better off keeping their assets and building one hell of a team in a few years.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:15 AM
TPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
Why would STL pay the price to acquire Pronger when they might not even make the playoffs?

Pronger is getting old, and STL would be better off keeping their assets and building one hell of a team in a few years.
Maybe because General Managers try to acquire certain players that they think will help them reach the playoffs...

TPS is offline   Reply With Quote