HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry takes some shots at Ovechkin

Old
02-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Bonzai

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3yn0w View Post
Usually it's because he's got an assist on those goals. But even if he's showboating for his team, it not that much different anyways.
So wrong, but believe whatever makes you happy.

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by senrab View Post
Interestingly, Cherry's wife is from Ukraine.
But, Ukraine is not weak.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Hot Carlson

Quote:
Ever since Bettman started pimping OV and the caps this year, he's left more of a bitter taste in peoples mouths. It's the Bettman curse.
Maybe among some hockey fans. But more and more non-hockey fans are noticing his highlight-reel goals and at least taking some modicum of interest. Whatever attracts more hockey fans, right?

Hot Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:01 PM
The Polak*

Don cherry is 100% right. He's certainly no crosby

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Vi

Quote:
I don't have a problem with OV"s goal celebrations in general, if they are big goals. But he does it after EVERY goal no matter the situation. Some call this "passion", but I honestly believe he is a bit of an egomaniac. The tinted visor, the yellow laces, big white laces hanging down from his pants. He loves attention.
... the color of his skate laces? Seriously?

But hey, if you have a beef with Ovechkin's fashion statements I won't rag on you for that. The guy wears some ugly-ass clothes. Doesn't mean he's an egomantic... it means he's a twenty-something guy with too much money and a penchant for clothes.

Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
So wrong, but believe whatever makes you happy.
Why does OV use a tinted visor? Why does he have yellow laces? WHy does he leave his pant tie dangling to his feet? Why does he not fix his missing tooth?

He craves attention. You can debate this being a good or bad thing for the game, but the fact that he craves attention is not debatable. IMO.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ducati1098VII

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Apparently Ovechkin is a goofy kid and performs garbage celebrations. As a Canadian boy, I don't agree Don.
I agree with you... More passion is needed in the game. He celebrates it because its for his team to win... he raises the momentum for his team..

He doesnt do it to insult the other team liek some player who flew by the other teams bench (or was that ovy?) and he is just happy.

Ducati1098VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:03 PM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi View Post
... the color of his skate laces? Seriously? .
Come on, it's one of many things I'm listing, along with the celebrations. It all adds up.

Old
02-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Hot Carlson

Quote:
Why does OV use a tinted visor? Why does he have yellow laces? WHy does he leave his pant tie dangling to his feet? Why does he not fix his missing tooth?

He craves attention. You can debate this being a good or bad thing for the game, but the fact that he craves attention is not debatable. IMO.
What do any of those questions have to do with anything? You're a gifted individual if you can take those innocuous details and extrapolate them to his personality. He attracts enough attention with his game already.

Old
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:

Come on you can't be serious. So Anze Kopitar begs attention because of his visor?? Every player with a missing tooth begs for attention because they don't fix their missing tooth? Come on now that is a little overboard.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LGP8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
I like Cherry, and defend him a lot.

But he's a turd in this case.
Because he ripped Ovechkin based on his opinion? He backed his comments of AO being a goof and basically acting like a disrespectful jackass with video, and you don't like it? Cool!

Quote:
Taunting of an opponent is a foul under NFL playing rules and will be called by the game officials (15-yard penalty). In addition, the taunting player will be fined.

Any flagrant acts or remarks that deride, mock, bait or embarrass an opponent are considered taunting. This includes, but is not limited to, spiking the football near a defender after a touchdown, shoving the ball at an opponent, or repeated finger-pointing. Remember, if you spike the ball near an opponent after a play, you risk being called for taunting even if you don't mean to taunt.

Player demonstrations (for example, end-zone dances) are not fouls under N.F.L. playing rules and will not result in penalties by the game officials. However, if a demonstration constitutes taunting (see section immediately above), or if it is unsportsmanlike conduct or delays the game, a foul will be called.
NHL might be forced to consider instituting the same rule. Else we WILL become just like those clowns from the world of soccer.

Maybe just like the Sean Avery rule from last year, we should call it the Ovechkin rule!

There's a reason this argument had never really come to the forefront before like it has with Ovechkin - NHL players usually don't rub it in.

Ovechkin rubs it in. And everyone drinking the Ovechkin kool-aid can't admit that because he is their hero, their anti-Crosby, and without a doubt the most electrifying player in the game today. Which is fine. He can continue to be all of those things.

But he has to grow up too. And Don Cherry is right on this one. He's hardly the first person to point it out, but he has more notoriety than anyone who has said it before. And it won't stop. If Ovechkin keeps his little sideshow going, more people will voice their displeasure, rightfully so.

LGP8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensChat com View Post

People will catch on to Ovechkin sooner or later. And the ones who don't are, like Cherry said, the same people who also think Sean Avery's comments are not really a big deal at all. Or maybe they just don't get it either, and they want players in the NHL who taunt other teams and pull stunts like Terrell Owens in the NFL or those clowns in soccer who do all that circus classless crap after they score.
How is this classless? Enlight me.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Strikeman

Cherry is such an idiot, but I think thats always been a given.

He tried to compare stupid soccer goal celebrations to OV? Seriously?

He had footage of OV's goal celebrations from his rookie year. So let me get this straight, this kid from russia makes it to the league hes always wanted to play in, and he scores some big goals, and hes not allowed to celebrate them and be genuine?

Here is a big F U to don cherry.

Strikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:05 PM
NewFang

And before I get called out as the big OV basher, let me say that I think the good things about OV far, far, outweigh the bad. He's an incredible player.

But if he would show a bit more class, i.e. score goal and then act like he's been there before, I would like him even more.

Old
02-28-2009, 11:06 PM
JacklegJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome1612 View Post
The guy is a moron, you have to be canadian to be good. I'll assure you the top 3 players in the league are not Canadian. The top 5 goal scorers aren't Canadian either.
Are you dumb? Two of the five top goal scorers right now ARE Canadian. Go look at the stats before you start making idiotic comments. You sound like Don Cherry.

JacklegJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Eli Cash

Who cares if Ovechkin does showboat? If the other team doesn't like it then they'll do something about it. He scores goals, hits, and does everything else with moxie. Every player should strive to be like that.

Eli Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ItsCarman

Sure a lot of you know about Ovie's brother, but yeah.

"At one time, Alex almost quit hockey because his parents were unable to transport him to the hockey rink on a daily basis. Alex’s older brother Sergei recognized Alex’s talent and unique passion for the game and insisted on taking him to the rink so he could continue to play. Years later, in an event that would change Alex forever, Sergei tragically died in a car accident. Alex still credits his late older brother for pushing him to continue to play hockey and thinks about him daily. To this day, when Alex scores, he will often kiss his glove and point to the sky in a salute to his brother Sergei."
http://www.alexovechkin8.com/about/

What a completely class-less ***hole.

ItsCarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:07 PM
peanutvendor

i cant wait until that generation dies out. they are all bigots, including my grandparents.

peanutvendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dtones520

Yeah because Sidney Crosby acts so much like Sakic and Thornton when he scores goals. Crosby cums his pants just as much as Ovie when he scores.

dtones520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Goin too far Cherry, OV powns Canada

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NewFang

The best answer i heard, and I don't remember who said it, was "If you don't like OV's goal celebrations, stop him from scoring.

Nice.

Old
02-28-2009, 11:08 PM
LGP8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Come on you can't be serious. So Anze Kopitar begs attention because of his visor?? Every player with a missing tooth begs for attention because they don't fix their missing tooth? Come on now that is a little overboard.
So you're saying Ovechkin is a humble guy who doesn't crave attention at all, huh?

He makes a good point, but he didn't do it very well.

LGP8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hot Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensChat com
Ovechkin rubs it in.
I would challenge you to produce one example that crossed the line.

If the best the haters can come up with is that he's TOO exuberant, he doesn't have much to worry about.

Old
Bonzai

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensChat com View Post
Maybe just like the Sean Avery rule from last year, we should call it the Ovechkin rule!

There's a reason this argument had never really come to the forefront before like it has with Ovechkin - NHL players usually don't rub it in.

Ovechkin rubs it in.
What part of "feel free to prove it" don't you understand? And don't just say, "durrrr I heard it from my homer announcers...durrr". How come I've never seen a video once of Ovechkin intentionally taunting anyone, or anyone's bench?

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:

OV was asked about the visor he said "It's just fashion"
Yellow laces? Loads of players have them. Some classy ones like Slava Kozlov.
Why doesn't he fix his tooth? I dunno...ask Niclas Havelid that too.

Loser.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote