HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thornton just a little too proud

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2009, 11:53 PM
Sharp Skates

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsharky View Post
You can't see the whole interview (to my knowledge), or even hear the question, so you don't know exactly what he means. The Sharks dominated the game once they got going, and like he said, your goaltender played great tonight, which stole you guys the win.

Does anyone know if there is a place to see the entire interview?
If you only knew how the Habs play you wouldn't act like the Canucks/Kings/Flyers fans thinking the Habs team is only lucky and can't stand up to their team when they are "on".

The Habs don't play a "crush to win" game they play very conservatively. Meaning they go out, use their speed and skill (which San Jose wasn't able to stop) and get an early lead / score a bunch of goals and then Carbonneau has them stay in their own zone for the rest of the game. So of course you'll feel like your team is dominating when it's just the coach's playing style causing this. (And I am aware that this style requires you to have a good goaltender)

Thornton was pretty arrogant, and I think those words were very similar to the "we're bigger and faster" 2004 team going into game 7. But anyways, hilarious!

Old
02-28-2009, 11:54 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Because it's funny to mention Thornton's lack of success in the playoffs.
These are the kind of threads that makes Habs haters. Now I don't give a flying **** about what other fans think of us but the Internet Warriors hating on the Habs make up about 30% of all posts on the ******* forum and dumb threads like this don't help.

Old
03-01-2009, 12:01 AM
HabstuckinTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
These are the kind of threads that makes Habs haters. Now I don't give a flying **** about what other fans think of us but the Internet Warriors hating on the Habs make up about 30% of all posts on the ******* forum and dumb threads like this don't help.
Just ignoring stupid, arrogant comments by Thornton is better? I for one would feel embarassed if a Hab came out with that gem after losing to an opponent - it's Thornton's bad, for crying out loud.

Old
03-01-2009, 12:09 AM
GaineysRightHandMan

Sometimes when you watch a game, you see size playing a factor is the game. I didn't see it tonight. It's not like Sharks were pounding the Habs into the boards or anything like that (except 1 good hit on Koivu). Big ole Joe just looks like he had a "we're better than you even tho we lost" attitude. Immature. Reminds me of an 8 year old.

Old
03-01-2009, 12:09 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

He is right...all night they were over us. Bob needs to get another dman to stabilize this group.

Old
03-01-2009, 12:13 AM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Because it's funny to mention Thornton's lack of success in the playoffs.
Yeaaaah... because ever since Thornton came into the league, Habs have had much more success in the playoffs than he has...

But.. but... we have 24 cups...

No wonder this league is not going anywhere... Whenever a player shows a bit of emotion or says something that's not 100% politicaly correct, people freak out...

Old
03-01-2009, 12:17 AM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 1035
Wow, does he ever come off as arrogant and cocky.

We all know the Sharks are a great team during the regular season and have been for a while now, but still, for it to come out of one of the players mouths like that sounds stupid.

Old
03-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Marchy79

LOL @ Thornton.He still doesnt have it. Grea his team looked goodin the 2nd & 3rd of the 2nd game of a back to back series for the habs. Who flew in from Philly lastnight to play the sharks. Who were out of the game after the 1st period 3-0 tally.
If SJ keeps ths additude up, they arent going anywhere NEAR Lord Stanley's mug.

Hockey is a TEAM sport Joe. & yes, goalies ARE a part of the big picture as well.

Habs mailed it in after te first. But they probably were exhausted. SJ looked good, but it isn't the first time I saw a team play a away/home back to back scheduled game, and look tired after the 2nd started.

If I were Joe, I'd be more concerned over the fact that they COULDNT CAPITALIZE.

Thornton just proved he's still a *****-ass

Old
03-01-2009, 12:41 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP_90 View Post
Joe Thornton - Bruins - 1998 - Knocked out in 1st round
Joe Thornton - Bruins - 1999 - Knocked out in 2nd round
Joe Thornton - Bruins - 2000 - Missed playoffs
Joe Thornton - Bruins - 2001 - Missed playoffs
Joe Thornton - Bruins - 2002 - Knocked out in 1st round
Joe Thornton - Bruins - 2003- Knocked out in 1st round
Joe Thornton - Bruins - 2004 - Knocked out in 1st round
Joe Thornton - Sharks - 2006 - Knocked out in 2nd round
Joe Thornton - Sharks - 2007- Knocked out in 2nd round
Joe Thornton - Sharks - 2008 - Knocked out in 2nd round

gotta love the post

Old
03-01-2009, 01:06 AM
Rayne*

....I don't really see the problem.

Old
03-01-2009, 01:17 AM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
he didn't say anything inaccurate...it's just not something you say after you just lost the game

Old
03-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Spectaculard
Trout125HR363RBI442R

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Coming in this thread I thought it was much worse but yeah he did come off as being a little full of it.

Old
03-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Habskrieg

hahaha
What a loser...

It's like this creep taht was on th bus after the game. I was headed to my friends party with my Habs jersey and hat. This guy kept pointing a laser at me. I didn't notice his Sharks hat at first until he pointed it. After it was clear he was being a ****** bag, he kept insulting the Habs team for 10 minutes until his stop came. I was laughing my ass off. But it was great when I stated the Good Bye song when he was getting off. This Phillie fan, whom I didn't know, was really cool and he was laughing at the dude too.

I'm going to enjoy seeing them choke.

Old
03-01-2009, 01:25 AM
TheGoalJudge

His answer depends on what the question was. If it was like, "why are you guys so dominant?" then I can see his answer. If he came out of the blue and said that, which he 99% didn't then he looks like a ******. But Thornton usually isn't an ass so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Old
03-01-2009, 02:05 AM
Guy Caballero

Poor Joe. Still so bitter about the Habs starting his reputation as a big fat loser when it really counts.

Old
03-01-2009, 02:30 AM
JrHockeyFan

I'm not sure whether Thornton is talking about teams in general or just the habs. i think the former

The timing was a bit odd but the statement wasn't outrageous

Anyway, who cares what he thinks. The Habs did find a way to handle the Sharks. we got the 2 points

Old
03-01-2009, 02:34 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
Yeaaaah... because ever since Thornton came into the league, Habs have had much more success in the playoffs than he has...

But.. but... we have 24 cups...

No wonder this league is not going anywhere... Whenever a player shows a bit of emotion or says something that's not 100% politicaly correct, people freak out...
When have the Habs had a good enough team to win the Cup? Thornton had great Bruins teams and more recently great Sharks teams with legitimate shots at winning it all, but time and time again he does not show up when it counts and lead a team on his back.

Therefore the criticism is warranted, regardless of the success, or lack thereof, of the Habs.

Old
03-01-2009, 03:08 AM
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****

Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
big and strong what a pun!

Old
03-01-2009, 04:32 AM
Habskrieg

In a tsn video, he clearly says: we're a big and strong team. A lot of teams don't know how to handle us, don't know how to play against us. And we proved that during 40 minutes.
Something along those lines.

Old
03-01-2009, 05:04 AM
Rickety Cricket

You people are really getting butt-hurt over this? Is it really that big of a deal? Did you hear the interview or the context of the answer?

Old
03-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Dragon

Moral victory continues!

Old
03-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Nedved

i dont understand the big deal? hes proud of how his team plays and he should be. just seems confident too me.

Old
03-01-2009, 07:35 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanwuc View Post
i dont understand the big deal? hes proud of how his team plays and he should be. just seems confident too me.
Actually it's the opposite. He is not confident - he lacks confidence in himself and his team and needs to reassure himself by saying stuff like that on TV.

Of course there is truth about what he said there - but the fact that he is saying it publicly tells me that he is not actually that sure about it. If you are really confident about yourself you normally go ahead and praise the opponents game and stay humble.

If I was in the Sharks management I would be worried about his "mental".

Old
03-01-2009, 07:51 AM
HomaridII

As I said earlier .. Joe "I am a born loser" Thornton needs look no further than his own dressing room for how to act ..

Dan Boyle was on RDS after the game for an extended period of time and he is all class. He said the Sharks had played well, but Halak had played better. He said the team had let itself down in the second half of the first period and made defensive mistakes it normally doesn't make and afterwards couldn't make up the deficit.

Seriously ... Thornton is and will always be a loser. Even Sharks fans should be able to tell the difference between some of the other guys in that dressing room and this idiot. Not saying he isn't a good hockey player though.

Old
03-01-2009, 07:54 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
Moral victory continues!
LOL. Huge moral victory for Thornton post-game. Huge

Closed Thread