Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Gotta vent.....

Old
03-01-2009, 12:00 AM
North Metro Peewees

vCash: 500
Gotta vent.....

So what is the deal with the NHL and how they treat the Wild as an organization? I mean seriously Boogaard gets 5 games which he probably deserved and Sheldon "I'm a freakin gorilla" Souray gets 0 games for giving Weller a concussion with forearm smashes to the face with a wrist guard (Yes Oiler fans there is video).

And for those who want to feel the difference between getting forearm smashes to the face with a wrist guard and just the fist I would love to demonstrate for you. Then going back to last year when Ohlund gets 3 measly games for his Derek Jeter swing that broke Koivu's leg. Two years ago Brad May gets 3 games for assaulting Johnsson and all Brian Hayward can talk about on Ducks broadcasts is Boogaard going after guys knees like a sucker punch to Johnsson's head wasn't worse.

Honestly I don't get it and it pisses me off!

Maybe the league would prefer a half empty Xcel Center like other American cities.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Tleve

What is Boogard's role on the team, Ohlund's on his team, Souray's on his? Why do the Wild have a player like Boogard that isn't a very good hockey player but is good at breaking people's faces?
There's your answer.

Tleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:27 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

FYI

On the oiler board we agreed the Sourey should have got suspended after the second video was shown. However, under NHL rules, the league has to suspend player before he plays his next game. No the oilers or their fans fault that it took about 3 weeks to find the video. Also, since the NHL could not suspend him, they did make it publialy known that Sourey was requested to swing by the NHL office for a meeting.

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:16 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Any links to the video?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:17 AM
Red Alberks

The Ohlund thing makes absolutely no sense to me. It was one of the most vicious attacks on a player I have ever seen, and it gets only 3 games. Koivu is out for months, but good old Ohlund only has to miss three.

Red Alberks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:18 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
What about the Flames player that will probably miss the rest of the year and might not ever play again?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:35 AM
bbud

Part of this also was because the Wild coach sent Boogieman out with the game at its end and no chance to win he was sent to hurt someone classless act all the way , and Boogaard is no real player a fringe 4th liner in reality its his job its what he does so take the lumps , and as for Ohlund well Koivu has a nasty streak as well and Ohlunds played 10 yrs its never been a cheapshot style of player it was one incident and he was retaliating and teh league does take that into consideration so we all can wear our rose colored goggles for our home team and whine or we can realize simply when a coach sends his goon out with 1 minute and change left down 4-1 and a kid may have had his career threatened 5 games is nothin what if it was your best young player think about it

Last edited by bbud: 03-01-2009 at 01:42 AM.
bbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 04:18 AM
stangconv

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP Mites View Post
(Yes Oiler fans there is video).
Can you show it to me please?

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 04:34 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
So what is the deal with the NHL and how they treat the Wild as an organization? I mean seriously Boogaard gets 5 games which he probably deserved and Sheldon "I'm a freakin gorilla" Souray gets 0 games for giving Weller a concussion with forearm smashes to the face with a wrist guard (Yes Oiler fans there is video).

And for those who want to feel the difference between getting forearm smashes to the face with a wrist guard and just the fist I would love to demonstrate for you. Then going back to last year when Ohlund gets 3 measly games for his Derek Jeter swing that broke Koivu's leg. Two years ago Brad May gets 3 games for assaulting Johnsson and all Brian Hayward can talk about on Ducks broadcasts is Boogaard going after guys knees like a sucker punch to Johnsson's head wasn't worse.

Honestly I don't get it and it pisses me off!

Maybe the league would prefer a half empty Xcel Center like other American cities.
He deserved to get suspended, and in all honesty, the rules on suspensions have changed a lot even since last year. They are trying to crack down on it as much as they can....especially when it involves a concussion. Personally, I hate having Boogaard out there because there is zero production from him outside of normally the first period. He is simply there to prove a point to the other teams not to mess around with Gaborik or Koivu for the most part. Same as why Brashere is on the Caps, so no one messes with the Russians who try to tickle instead of hit *cough* Semin *cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbud View Post
Part of this also was because the Wild coach sent Boogieman out with the game at its end and no chance to win he was sent to hurt someone classless act all the way , and Boogaard is no real player a fringe 4th liner in reality its his job its what he does so take the lumps , and as for Ohlund well Koivu has a nasty streak as well and Ohlunds played 10 yrs its never been a cheapshot style of player it was one incident and he was retaliating and teh league does take that into consideration so we all can wear our rose colored goggles for our home team and whine or we can realize simply when a coach sends his goon out with 1 minute and change left down 4-1 and a kid may have had his career threatened 5 games is nothin what if it was your best young player think about it
Get over yourself, its a hockey game. He wasn't sent out there with the sole purpose of hurting someone and if you honestly think Lemaire is the kind of coach who does that you obviously have your homer goggles on just a little too tight. Far as what your saying about Ohlund, Boogaard has NEVER been suspended until now in his 3 1/2 years in the league. Your point has no validation behind it either other than one produces more points than the other.

This is a blog from one of the newspaper sources with the Wild

Quote:
GM Doug Risebrough wouldn’t comment on the suspension other than to say, “Obviously the league saw it differently than the concussion [Edmonton’s Sheldon] Souray inflicted on [Craig] Weller with the plastic [wrist] guard.”

I emailed NHL discipline czar Colie Campbell about the suspension and the inconsistency with Souray on Weller (he missed 13 games): “The hit was late and there was distinct contact to the head of Brandon Prust by Derek Boogaard with his elbow. Prust has suffered a concussion from this incident. I have dealt with the Edmonton organization regarding Sheldon Souray’s wrist guard and his future involvement in any fisticuffs.”

Campbell warned Souray about the huge wrist guard at the All-Star Game. A replay discovered earlier this month showing Souray blatantly turning and nailing Weller with the guard. The team turned the video into the league, and nothing came of it.

The thing that surprises me the most about this suspension is the suspension on Brendan Witt a few days ago. The Islanders defenseman got the same five games for elbowing Nik Hagman in the head the other night. It was pretty disgusting. The intent was clear. It was a blatant flying elbow. But Witt is a repeat offender. This is Boogaard’s first phone call with Colie Campbell in his career.

Mike Keenan also questioned why Lemaire had Boogaard on the ice with 1:12 left. I asked Lemaire about this, and he said, “I don’t know why he questions that. He played a regular shift the whole game. If he wouldn’t have played, that’s different. He wouldn’t have been there at the end.”

Last edited by BigT2002: 03-01-2009 at 05:34 AM.
BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Abraham85

I'm personally just glad that the NHL is finally handing out long suspensions for these kinds of cheapshots.

Abraham85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 03:02 PM
bbud

Ok BigT2002 heres a reply to this and its simple
[Get over yourself, its a hockey game. He wasn't sent out there with the sole purpose of hurting someone and if you honestly think Lemaire is the kind of coach who does that you obviously have your homer goggles on just a little too tight. Far as what your saying about Ohlund, Boogaard has NEVER been suspended until now in his 3 1/2 years in the league. Your point has no validation behind it either other than one produces more points than the other.]

so ill get over myself im still laughing at that one but if Lemaire is not that kind of coach why isnt Boogarad on the ice protecting one goal leads with 45 seconds left please explain simple isue there he was put out to get some payback for the loss send a message sort of thing its his job as is i stated in original post no big deal he did his someone got hurt he pays his price and to tell me it does not happen in hockey is not possible i played 20 years am 6ft4245 and guess what my job was if i was going over the boards down 4-1 with under 2 minutes it was to fight or to send a signal wed be back that is it , Ohlund really has played over 10 yrs as well with no real reputation other than being a very consistent player who by the way will be on teh ice when his team is defending a one goal lead with 30 seconds left often , there im mostly over myself lmao and maybe justa little true hockey education here yes Boog was sent to goon its his job yes Lemaire sent him thats his job if it walks like a duck well what do we call it

Old
03-01-2009, 04:58 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham85 View Post
I'm personally just glad that the NHL is finally handing out long suspensions for these kinds of cheapshots.
That is something you and I can both agree on

Old
03-01-2009, 05:38 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
so ill get over myself im still laughing at that one but if Lemaire is not that kind of coach why isnt Boogarad on the ice protecting one goal leads with 45 seconds left please explain simple isue there he was put out to get some payback for the loss send a message sort of thing its his job as is i stated in original post no big deal he did his someone got hurt he pays his price and to tell me it does not happen in hockey is not possible i played 20 years am 6ft4245 and guess what my job was if i was going over the boards down 4-1 with under 2 minutes it was to fight or to send a signal wed be back that is it , Ohlund really has played over 10 yrs as well with no real reputation other than being a very consistent player who by the way will be on teh ice when his team is defending a one goal lead with 30 seconds left often , there im mostly over myself lmao and maybe justa little true hockey education here yes Boog was sent to goon its his job yes Lemaire sent him thats his job if it walks like a duck well what do we call it
Dude your not going to sway me just like I'm not going to sway you on this issue. People who do not have Boogaard on their team and face the Wild enough hate the guy because of what he stands for on the team. I don't like him on the team because at least players like Brashere and Neil actually produce something more than just PIM. You definitely do have the goggles on tight though, I've watched the replays of the game and that was not the intention at all. He went in late, he admitted that. Remind me again when one of your players does this and its perceived as different and get a 5 game suspension with no history of it when others who do it often get the same thing.

Old
03-01-2009, 08:59 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangconv View Post
Can you show it to me please?
It's not the feed they showed on FSN the past few weeks; which was sent to the league about 10 days after the incident (which they also showed last night on the telecast). However, between :59 and 1:13 you can clearly see the plastic wrist guard and either the intent to injure with the guard or 3 of the most sissified punches ever thrown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf88PiiVnVo

Old
03-01-2009, 09:09 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tleve View Post
What is Boogard's role on the team, Ohlund's on his team, Souray's on his? Why do the Wild have a player like Boogard that isn't a very good hockey player but is good at breaking people's faces?
There's your answer.
Ohlund is a very good player which surprised me as to why he would do it. However, just because your a solid citizen doesn't mean you shouldn't receive a longer suspension. As for Boogaard's role on the team he protects his teammates from that kind of non-sense and if Ohlund had the balls he would have offered himself up to fight Koivu.

As for why is Boogaard on the team...let's see how about Dave Schultz, Tiger Williams, Jay Millar, Joey Kocur, Steve Dykstra, Jimmy Mann, Marty McSorley, George Laraque and Donald Brashear.....shall I continue???? This is the culture of the league where players like Matt Cooke and Alex Burrows love to take liberties with players who are either too valuable to their team to spend time fighting or just can't fight.

I have been around this game long enough to have watched the Oilers great teams and if you even checked Gretzky, Kurri or Coffey there was cement head to knock you around for it.

Old
03-01-2009, 09:25 PM
40oz

Quote:
It's not the feed they showed on FSN the past few weeks; which was sent to the league about 10 days after the incident (which they also showed last night on the telecast). However, between :59 and 1:13 you can clearly see the plastic wrist guard and either the intent to injure with the guard or 3 of the most sissified punches ever thrown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf88PiiVnVo
At no point in that fight do you see his wrist guard hitting Weller or any intent to hit him with the guard. Im going to keep my eye open for the FSN feed though.

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:44 AM
bbud

Bigt2002 i am not worried about swaying anyone and i was what Boogaard is understand fullly what his job is and i dont have issue with that he keeps skill guys safe its what hes paid for and yes it was reputation call getting 5 games but that is what his dues card calls for so take the lumps get up go again is all i was saying from get go and i do think his coach did send him for that reason its partly a take Boogaard away from Lemaire suspension as a reminder to the coach to not play that way as well besides who i cheer for im not anti Boogaard either hes a guy who paid his dues and goes to a job like most guys in his position it dosnt last long so get what ya can and have fun

Old
03-02-2009, 12:52 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Bigt2002 i am not worried about swaying anyone and i was what Boogaard is understand fullly what his job is and i dont have issue with that he keeps skill guys safe its what hes paid for and yes it was reputation call getting 5 games but that is what his dues card calls for so take the lumps get up go again is all i was saying from get go and i do think his coach did send him for that reason its partly a take Boogaard away from Lemaire suspension as a reminder to the coach to not play that way as well besides who i cheer for im not anti Boogaard either hes a guy who paid his dues and goes to a job like most guys in his position it dosnt last long so get what ya can and have fun
I appreciate the clarification bbud I'm still a little "meh" about stating JL put him out there for the sole purpose of doing that though. Its not his MO to do it that late into a game and if Boogaard was playing normal shifts during it (just shy of 10:00 TOI) with 6 of his shifts in the 3rd period at 3 minute intervals per the NHL.com TOI report. I don't see how that was JL putting him out there for the sole purpose. Now if Boogaard wouldn't have played more than 1 or 2 shifts in the 3rd and had a good 10 minute rest in between his last shift and the shift where the incident happened, then yes I would cry foul....but he didn't.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...9/TV020921.HTM

Old
03-02-2009, 01:39 AM
bbud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I appreciate the clarification bbud I'm still a little "meh" about stating JL put him out there for the sole purpose of doing that though. Its not his MO to do it that late into a game and if Boogaard was playing normal shifts during it (just shy of 10:00 TOI) with 6 of his shifts in the 3rd period at 3 minute intervals per the NHL.com TOI report. I don't see how that was JL putting him out there for the sole purpose. Now if Boogaard wouldn't have played more than 1 or 2 shifts in the 3rd and had a good 10 minute rest in between his last shift and the shift where the incident happened, then yes I would cry foul....but he didn't.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...9/TV020921.HTM
No troubles glad i could put better light to it and its still about league sees Boogaard as a goon so hes stuck with tag JL is no newbie he knows it too has to play it smarter , for what its worth coach likely was saving his line 1 and 2 guys as much as anything but then make sure and say its skate it out be smart boys and thats all

Old
03-02-2009, 05:26 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
No troubles glad i could put better light to it and its still about league sees Boogaard as a goon so hes stuck with tag JL is no newbie he knows it too has to play it smarter , for what its worth coach likely was saving his line 1 and 2 guys as much as anything but then make sure and say its skate it out be smart boys and thats all
I can agree with that

Old
03-02-2009, 12:28 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham85 View Post
Fine, but there's obviously and inequity between handing out fines and suspensions for enforcers and everyone else. It really shouldn't be that way. Overall, it's the enforcers who show more restraint then the rest. They simply can't afford to play like uncontrolled hot heads because they always have the referee's eyes and them AND they don't have other skills to offer. Lemaire didn't tolerate the taking of excessive bad penalties with Matt Johnson and he doesn't now with Boogie. Most coaches think they same way in this respect.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:40 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by a79krgm View Post
Fine, but there's obviously and inequity between handing out fines and suspensions for enforcers and everyone else. It really shouldn't be that way. Overall, it's the enforcers who show more restraint then the rest. They simply can't afford to play like uncontrolled hot heads because they always have the referee's eyes and them AND they don't have other skills to offer. Lemaire didn't tolerate the taking of excessive bad penalties with Matt Johnson and he doesn't now with Boogie. Most coaches think they same way in this respect.
thats a name I haven't heard in YEARS

Old
03-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

The only thing that I don't like is how people call Boogaard a cheap shot artist and a dirty player.

His shot on Prust was suspension worthy, no complains there, but in his history with the Wild, Lemaire has kept him under control and he has not done many dirty hits, espicially for a guy his size.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:29 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
At no point in that fight do you see his wrist guard hitting Weller or any intent to hit him with the guard. Im going to keep my eye open for the FSN feed though.
And I'm sure the NHL made the comment that they couldn't suspend him because so much time had elapsed between the incident and when tape was discovered won't influence you. If you can't see him turning his arm to lead with the elbow (even though this isn't the video that shows it more clearly) then I can't help you remove the Oilers colored glasses

Old
03-05-2009, 12:33 AM
40oz

Quote:
And I'm sure the NHL made the comment that they couldn't suspend him because so much time had elapsed between the incident and when tape was discovered won't influence you. If you can't see him turning his arm to lead with the elbow (even though this isn't the video that shows it more clearly) then I can't help you remove the Oilers colored glasses
Im sure with suspendable infractions, just like goals. The NHL requires ALL camera angles before they can make a judgement call. And if the Wild made call to the NHL to have the play reviewed then they would have seen that feed, unless that feed wasnt made available in which FSN may be at fault.

Also I see the punch I think your refering to, but its such an awkward punch becuse they are in so tight (practically face to face) and Souray is trying to get his arm loose and punch over Wellers arm, even then the punch does no damage and wasnt a factor in fight. Your making this into a much bigger deal than it really is.

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote