HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Afinogenov says hes been ready to go

Old
03-01-2009, 07:37 AM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Afinogenov says hes been ready to go

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/593605.html

Quote:
He knows the trade deadline is Wednesday. He figures if he isnt going to play for the Sabres, he may as well play for someone else.

I want to play, definitely, Afinogenov told The Buffalo News on Saturday. I want to help the team, but if theyre not using me, its probably no point for me to be here.

Anything can happen. Well see. If they dont want to use me here, theyre probably going to move me. I dont know whats going to happen right now.

Afinogenov missed his 24th straight game when the Sabres visited the New York Islanders. Most of those absences were due to a groin strain, and Afinogenov is still on the injured reserve list.

The right winger, though, said hes been ready to return since the middle of February.

I was injured, but now Im healthy, Afinogenov said after a hard skate in Nassau Coliseum. Its like 10 days now. The doctors cleared me to play and stuff, but Im not in the lineup. Thats why its frustrating for me, definitely.

The Sabres would have to make a roster move in order to activate Afinogenov. They are at the 23-man limit. They obviously feel he is not one of their top 12 forwards or else they would have put him back in the lineup.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 07:59 AM
CelticSabre
aka MillerTime

I know Max has been abysmal this year, but at this point they might as well throw him back in. We cant score goals if the playoffs depended on them ( which they do). He cant be any worse then some of these no effort bums have been lately. C-Mac should get the hook imo. Sometimes I even forget this guy is on the team lately.

If there is one thing you cant fault Max with is effort, im sure he could at least maybe spark some offense in these times.

CelticSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:53 AM
warriorspikes51*

Hecht doesn't deserve to play. Bench him.

warriorspikes51* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:54 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

With the slump our offense is in, I have to question the sanity of anyone who doesn't think he should get a shot in the lineup. If he's on his way out the door and is part of a trade, I suppose you don't want him to get injured. But otherwise, he's all we've got left in the cupboard, may as well try it out.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Kevbeau

At this point I agree. There's no reson Max should be sitting behind the 3-4 amentioned guys....at least he shows some emotion.

Kevbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 09:06 AM
aceface33

I would have thrown Max into the lineup...the problem is they would have had to have made a roster move, I think the only guy they could send down would be Butler, they could have waived someone and Peters is the obvious choice but we all know that ain't happening.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
If Max really was healthy and feels as though he's being "stashed away" on IR........shouldn't he file a grievance or something?

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Jame
Dream '16

jeez, Max should be playing. waive peters, no one will claim him

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 09:35 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
If Max really was healthy and feels as though he's being "stashed away" on IR........shouldn't he file a grievance or something?
I think this is what Philly was doing with Briere up until yesterday. Since they would have had to make a roster move, they didn't activate him from IR. And I think it's technically OK, as far as the league is concerned. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 09:39 AM
joshjull

They may be doing with Max what the Coyotes are doing with Morris.

Keeping him out and healthy before the trade deadline.

Its not like playing a week is going to change what a GM in the league thinks of him.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:46 AM
HockeyTerror

I would have liked to see him used to send Pommer a message. It's too late now, but maybe Max would have sored some goals the last few games, if for no other reason than to give another team a reason to take a chance on him in a deadline deal.

HockeyTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:53 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

vCash: 50
Maybe the Dr's cleared him mid Feb, but his history of groin problems may warrant some extra time on the sideline. Any value that he has at this weeks trade deadline would certainly disappear if he came back and reinjred his groin.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:59 AM
hottytoddy

So, where is Max going?

hottytoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:04 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubs View Post
So, where is Max going?
Nowhere. Nobody wants him

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:19 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Nowhere. Nobody wants him
I can't buy this. There was a market for Steve Begin, there certainly is a market for Maxim Afinogenov.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:29 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
I can't buy this. There was a market for Steve Begin, there certainly is a market for Maxim Afinogenov.
You don't have to buy it. If there was an appropriate market for him, he'd have been dealt. The fact that he has been healthy since mid-February is a testament to that.

Old
03-01-2009, 12:36 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
You don't have to buy it. If there was an appropriate market for him, he'd have been dealt. The fact that he has been healthy since mid-February is a testament to that.
The reason for that is that Regier is so conservative he's afraid of making a move. I have no doubt there are teams that will take him, but Regier fears that Max is going to regain his form and he'll be crucified for selling low.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:38 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
The reason for that is that Regier is so conservative he's afraid of making a move. I have no doubt there are teams that will take him, but Regier fears that Max is going to regain his form and he'll be crucified for selling low.
It's way past that point IMO. There are no more idiotic mind games at this stage. You take what you could get if it's anything and you progress forward.

I guess there's an odd chance Regier is holding out for an actual "deadline DAY" deal. But I don't think so. I think his value is what it is and his market is the same.

Bottom line IMO: If Regier was getting offers for Max and not liking the value of them, I'd like to think he'd have asked Ruff to play Afino to try to help raise his value. That hasn't happened, so I'm inclined to think nobody wants him for anything

Old
03-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubs View Post
So, where is Max going?
Well, at least he's already packed.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:58 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

max max he's our man, if he can't do it, no one can!

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Freezerburn

I don't like that at all really. If Max has been ready to play since the middle of February he should have been playing. I am not a fan of managing players in that manner.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:31 PM
SpachoMan

Send a message via AIM to SpachoMan
Pretty lame that he's been wasting away like that. Why not get what we can out of him? Can anyone say that we have 12 forwards more deserving to play than him?

SpachoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Selanne00008

Maybe by keeping him out they plan on putting him back into the lineup after the trade deadline so its "like we aquired players". It's like well we don't need to buy because Vanek and Max can come back and it will be an entirely new line up Max back with Connoly and Kotalik! And Vanek with Stafford and Roy!!!

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn View Post
I don't like that at all really. If Max has been ready to play since the middle of February he should have been playing. I am not a fan of managing players in that manner.
I called this a month ago... Max was ready to play, but... his play hurts his trade value (if any), as does making him a healthy scratch for over a month. Better to tell potential suitors that he hurtin', then the truth.

Now that the deadline cometh, he's automagically healthy again.

And before we trash DR, I am calling this now, Max will play with fire for whatever team picks him up... out of spite (and next year's contract). He'll average near a PPG for whatever team picks him up. You heard it here first.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 03:01 PM
ISukAtLyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanSince89 View Post
And before we trash DR, I am calling this now, Max will play with fire for whatever team picks him up... out of spite (and next year's contract). He'll average near a PPG for whatever team picks him up. You heard it here first.
I'll take it a step further. He goes to a playoff team and not only plays well down the stretch, but also plays well in the playoffs. This leads to a lucrative contract in the off-season. However, then he becomes 100% useless yet again and eventually gets traded in a salary dump. But, near the end of this contract he starts to turn it around yet again. Basically, he'll become Sergei Samsonov ver. 2.0

ISukAtLyfe is offline   Reply With Quote