HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Afinogenov says hes been ready to go

Old
03-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chalk Outline View Post
I'll take it a step further. He goes to a playoff team and not only plays well down the stretch, but also plays well in the playoffs. This leads to a lucrative contract in the off-season. However, then he becomes 100% useless yet again and eventually gets traded in a salary dump. But, near the end of this contract he starts to turn it around yet again. Basically, he'll become Sergei Samsonov ver. 2.0
Did I give you permission to use my crystal ball!!?!?!?!

Bobby Bottle Service is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
If Max really was healthy and feels as though he's being "stashed away" on IR........shouldn't he file a grievance or something?
It takes a minimum 30 days before it can go to a hearing. His claim will be moot in 3.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:05 AM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

The question isn't whether Max is better than one of the current 12 forwards in the lineup.

The question is do you want to send Butler to Portland or try and sneak Paetsch or a forward through waivers to open up the roster spot to activate Max?

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
The question isn't whether Max is better than one of the current 12 forwards in the lineup.

The question is do you want to send Butler to Portland or try and sneak Paetsch or a forward through waivers to open up the roster spot to activate Max?
Its simple, put Peters on 'waivers' and then 'recall' him after the trade deadline on Wednesday. Its not like someone is going to pick him up so you leave him in town and save the money on the plane ticket to Portland.

Old Navy Goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:37 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Maxie boy will be in the KHL next season, so no GM in their right mind is going to give up jack squat for him.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:38 AM
SpachoMan

Send a message via AIM to SpachoMan
Another situation that shows how horribly useless Peters is.

SpachoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:46 AM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Its simple, put Peters on 'waivers' and then 'recall' him after the trade deadline on Wednesday. Its not like someone is going to pick him up so you leave him in town and save the money on the plane ticket to Portland.
The Sabres love Peters too much to do something like that.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Cap'n

Do you think Andro was who Regier was thinking of when he referred to adding size at the deadline and amended it to size that would play?

Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:59 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
It moot at this point since the Sabres don't play until after the trade deadline...but that's what they should have done last week.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Freezerburn

After some more time to think about it, I'm still really not a fan of managing players in that way. A Max quote from the Buffalo News today:

Quote:
"I've been here for like 10 years. All my career," Afinogenov said. "Played all my games here. All my friends here. My home here. I want to be here. But just for once, I want to play. If I'm sitting, there's no reason for me to be here."
http://www.buffalonews.com/489/story/594918.html

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:03 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn View Post
After some more time to think about it, I'm still really not a fan of managing players in that way. A Max quote from the Buffalo News today:

Quote:
"I've been here for like 10 years. All my career," Afinogenov said. "Played all my games here. All my friends here. My home here. I want to be here. But just for once, I want to play. If I'm sitting, there's no reason for me to be here."
http://www.buffalonews.com/489/story/594918.html
Wow, that's a very sad quote by Max.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:04 PM
ISukAtLyfe

Cry me a river. Half the reason he's not playing is because he's terrible lately. That's not the organization's fault.

ISukAtLyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Freezerburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chalk Outline
Cry me a river. Half the reason he's not playing is because he's terrible lately. That's not the organization's fault.
Lately? He hasn't really played for a pretty good chunk of time but I agree that he was playing very poorly prior to that. My point is that they should have moved him a long time ago. My suspicion all along has been that the return around the league for him hasn't been up to Regier's standards, as in he is setting his standards too high. Max should have been moved for whatever they could get otherwise they just aren't making use of him as a player. Instead they have been stuck with his $3.33M cap hit all season.

Its simple really. If you keep him around, you should play him and try to put him in a situation where he can succeed. If you want him gone you should do anything you can to get rid of him. Whether thats through a trade, waivers, or a buyout. That's what other teams do.

Old
03-02-2009, 06:20 PM
ISukAtLyfe

Quote:
Lately? He hasn't really played for a pretty good chunk of time but I agree that he was playing very poorly prior to that. My point is that they should have moved him a long time ago. My suspicion all along has been that the return around the league for him hasn't been up to Regier's standards, as in he is setting his standards too high. Max should have been moved for whatever they could get otherwise they just aren't making use of him as a player. Instead they have been stuck with his $3.33M cap hit all season.

Its simple really. If you keep him around, you should play him and try to put him in a situation where he can succeed. If you want him gone you should do anything you can to get rid of him. Whether thats through a trade, waivers, or a buyout. That's what other teams do.
I agree, the team hasn't handled the situation very well either (why I said it was only half his fault), but that's still no reason to be a baby about it (as he's doing, IMO).

Old
03-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
The Sabres love Peters too much to do something like that.
I get that, but isn't there a point where you offer the guy a scouting job?

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:

While I don't disagree with you, something should have been done, it comes all back to Economics 101. If Darcy put Max on waivers, no one would have claimed him, and Tommy G would be paying someone $3.3M to play in Portland.

Teams with deeper pockets would not have hesitated to resolve this issue.

Old
03-02-2009, 09:38 PM
ISukAtLyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
I get that, but isn't there a point where you offer the guy a scouting job?
And what exactly would he scout? Snacks for the HSBC vending machines?

Old
03-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Freezerburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanSince89 View Post
While I don't disagree with you, something should have been done, it comes all back to Economics 101. If Darcy put Max on waivers, no one would have claimed him, and Tommy G would be paying someone $3.3M to play in Portland.

Teams with deeper pockets would not have hesitated to resolve this issue.
What's the difference? Instead he's paying a guy $3.3M to basically not play at all.

If Max passed through waivers he might get claimed on re-entry at half his salary. Regier hardly exhausted all of the options available to him to get Max off of the roster.

Even with his incredibly poor stats and the bad years he had this year and last, I think Max is justified in being upset with his situation.

Old
03-02-2009, 10:01 PM
SpachoMan

Send a message via AIM to SpachoMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chalk Outline View Post
I agree, the team hasn't handled the situation very well either (why I said it was only half his fault), but that's still no reason to be a baby about it (as he's doing, IMO).
How is he being a baby? Who wouldn't say that they want to play in that situation?

SpachoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 07:05 AM
ISukAtLyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpachoMan View Post
How is he being a baby? Who wouldn't say that they want to play in that situation?
Because of the way he said it. My fwiends are here, my home iz here, waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

No problem with him saying something like "Yeah, I'd love to play right now, but I know my play wasn't up to par so I've worked on it and I'd love to get back in there and prove myself". None of this horse **** about his family and crap is needed. He's supposed to be a professional athlete and that just comes with the territory.

Old
03-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Selanne00008

I disagree. When i see the team struggling and I have to just sit there and watch as we slip out of playoff contention I am going to get Very frsutrated. And just in general I wanna play a regulation hockey game! It's been months! So, I don't blame Max for getting even a little upset over the whole thing. what good is he just sitting there? He is wasting away and it has Got to be Very frustrating.

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Freezerburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chalk Outline
Because of the way he said it. My fwiends are here, my home iz here, waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

No problem with him saying something like "Yeah, I'd love to play right now, but I know my play wasn't up to par so I've worked on it and I'd love to get back in there and prove myself". None of this horse **** about his family and crap is needed. He's supposed to be a professional athlete and that just comes with the territory.
You have to think about the question he was asked when you frame your opinion though. Based on his response I would guess that he was asked "do you still want to be here?" as opposed to "do you want to play?"--and with that guess I would say he gave a reasonable response.

As for horse ****, the answer you gave is grade A standard athlete garbage. I have always preferred when players speak their mind and give real responses rather than rehearsed lines.

Old
03-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
You have to think about the question he was asked when you frame your opinion though. Based on his response I would guess that he was asked "do you still want to be here?" as opposed to "do you want to play?"--and with that guess I would say he gave a reasonable response.

As for horse ****, the answer you gave is grade A standard athlete garbage. I have always preferred when players speak their mind and give real responses rather than rehearsed lines.
I don't have a problem with Max wanting to play, nor do I have a problem with Lindy choosing to not dress him because of his play.

This has been a ploy for DR to get Max out of town and save some face with LQ and Tommy G. But as Jim Kelley so aptly put it, Max is a toxic asset that no one wants to touch.

Old
03-03-2009, 01:01 PM
warriorspikes51*

waiving Max might be the only way to get rid of him.

warriorspikes51* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:13 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Max is justified in his beef. He has been healthy and the team has been lacking offense, yet he continues to sit. At least he skates hard and plays like he cares - and at this point? What more can you want?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote