HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Downie suspended indefinitely (in AHL)

Old
03-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

vCash: 500
Look at the hate in this thread and compare it to the instant love for Carcillo. ****ing hypocrites.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:03 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Look at the hate in this thread and compare it to the instant love for Carcillo. ****ing hypocrites.
Um, no. Downie is a know guy to the community and he is known to be not that good an investment. On the other hand Carcillo is a more or less unknown commodity. I for my part reserve judgment for later.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Um, no. Downie is a know guy to the community and he is known to be not that good an investment. On the other hand Carcillo is a more or less unknown commodity. I for my part reserve judgment for later.
Downie still gets crap because of his reputation in the OHL - despite scoring over a PPG and winning championships. Carcillo did far worse things in the OHL and never won ****. That's why he's not known to the masses, but he's known to the people who pay attention. They're exactly the same except Downie's proven to be a damn good hockey player at some levels so far. Carcillo hasn't.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Downie still gets crap because of his reputation in the OHL - despite scoring over a PPG and winning championships. Carcillo did far worse things in the OHL and never won ****. That's why he's not known to the masses, but he's known to the people who pay attention. They're exactly the same except Downie's proven to be a damn good hockey player at some levels so far. Carcillo hasn't.
Downie is an AHL scrub that has gotten suspended various times times in the NHL.

Carcillo has been suspended once in the NHL. The guy can actually stay up and play in the NHL without getting sent down to the minors.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:17 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Downie still gets crap because of his reputation in the OHL.
Bullsh*t!! I wasn't even that interested in hockey when Downie was still in the OHL. My opinion of Downie has solely been formed by his exploits in the NHL and AHL and that has been more than enough to declare Downie a risk not worth taking and being glad having gotten rid of him.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:46 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2698...headlines_main

Quote:
The AHL has suspended the Norfolk Admirals' forward 20 games for deliberately striking an official with his stick.

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:10 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Bullsh*t!! I wasn't even that interested in hockey when Downie was still in the OHL. My opinion of Downie has solely been formed by his exploits in the NHL and AHL and that has been more than enough to declare Downie a risk not worth taking and being glad having gotten rid of him.
Sorry man but Carcillo is the same risk. Downie won Gold Medals, CHL championships and scored at a huge rate.

Downie may be a headcase, but Carcillo is just as much of one.

Quote from a Carcillo article
Quote:
"Sometimes when I'm angry or argued with the girlfriend or something, you just want to go out and kill somebody, right," reporter Jonathan Bombulie quoted Carcillo as saying. "So I have to sometimes calm myself down before games. But for the most part I'm all right."
Quote:
Downie is an AHL scrub that has gotten suspended various times times in the NHL.

Carcillo has been suspended once in the NHL. The guy can actually stay up and play in the NHL without getting sent down to the minors.
For **** sakes if you are going to state this at least realize that Downie has also only been suspended once in the NHL. Carcillo was suspended way more times in the OHL
And tampa fans were mad when he was sent down becuase he had been playing great with Stamkos. Its not his fault he gets sent down.

Last edited by HoverCarle*: 03-05-2009 at 03:22 PM.
HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:41 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Sorry man but Carcillo is the same risk. Downie won Gold Medals, CHL championships and scored at a huge rate.

Downie may be a headcase, but Carcillo is just as much of one.

Quote from a Carcillo article

For **** sakes if you are going to state this at least realize that Downie has also only been suspended once in the NHL. Carcillo was suspended way more times in the OHL
And tampa fans were mad when he was sent down becuase he had been playing great with Stamkos. Its not his fault he gets sent down.
And just for the record, he was sent down because TB wanted to showcase Roberts and Recchi among others. They planned to bring him back up once the deadline passed.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Okay but what has Carcillo done in his post OHL career that makes him look like a fool like Downie has??

That is all i hear from people who like Downie. But in the OHL he did this and did that.

Carcillo yeah he was a known head case in the OHL but what the **** has the guy did in the NHL that makes him look like a total headcase??

Downie suspended twice for 20 games in his post-OHL career. Physical abuse on a ref?? Come on now.

Old
03-05-2009, 04:03 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Okay but what has Carcillo done in his post OHL career that makes him look like a fool like Downie has??

That is all i hear from people who like Downie. But in the OHL he did this and did that.

Carcillo yeah he was a known head case in the OHL but what the **** has the guy did in the NHL that makes him look like a total headcase??

Downie suspended twice for 20 games in his post-OHL career. Physical abuse on a ref?? Come on now.
His new ref thing I didnt condone, but a chop to the skate(havent seen a video yet) is not as violent as multiple teeth shattering crosschecks like Carcillo was suspended for 20+ games for in the OHL.

and im sure you know that Downie's hit on mccammond didnt deserve 20 games

I have no problem with Carcillo, but when people act like hes an angel and downie is the devil its just hilarious

Old
03-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
His new ref thing I didnt condone, but a chop to the skate(havent seen a video yet) is not as violent as multiple teeth shattering crosschecks like Carcillo was suspended for 20+ games for in the OHL.

and im sure you know that Downie's hit on mccammond didnt deserve 20 games

I have no problem with Carcillo, but when people act like hes an angel and downie is the devil its just hilarious
I don't think either guys are saints. But obviously Carcillo has grown up alot since the OHL. He hasn't did any boneheaded **** ups like Downie has. When we drafted Downie i was well aware of his discipline problems. But i gave him a chance defended him until he started bringing over his trouble ways into the NHL and AHL. I defended Downie even when he hit Mccammond. Because like you said it wasn't a bad hit but i can't defend the guy no more when he physically abuses a ref. When Carcillo starts doing stupid **** i will call him out on it too.

Old
03-05-2009, 04:07 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

LOL the Downiephiles have something to blubber about now, classic.

Sure would like to hear the truth of this story though.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 04:12 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
I don't think either guys are saints. But obviously Carcillo has grown up alot since the OHL. He hasn't did any boneheaded **** ups like Downie has. When we drafted Downie i was well aware of his discipline problems. But i gave him a chance defended him until he started bringing over his trouble ways into the NHL and AHL. I defended Downie even when he hit Mccammond. Because like you said it wasn't a bad hit but i can't defend the guy no more when he physically abuses a ref. When Carcillo starts doing stupid **** i will call him out on it too.
Yeah makes sense. They both have potential for madness, but Downie did have better offensive potential, which he will probably never reach now.

Think the NHL will suspend him for the AHL linesman thing?

Which story JXC?

Old
03-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Think the NHL will suspend him for the AHL linesman thing?

No.

They shouldn't suspend him. But it will make Downie's rep alot worse.

Old
03-05-2009, 06:03 PM
miltons rules

I also knew nothing of Steve Downie's past, however after watching him play several games for the flyers it's clear his skating was an issue, he appears to be lumbering all the time like he has cement blocks on his feet.

miltons rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
LOL the Downiephiles have something to blubber about now, classic.

Sure would like to hear the truth of this story though.
The irony in these two sentences is stupefying.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Wud

http://flyers.nhl.tv/team/console.js...id=35345&tab=1

I found the NHL's #2 hit last week, familiar looking.

Wud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wud View Post
http://flyers.nhl.tv/team/console.js...id=35345&tab=1

I found the NHL's #2 hit last week, familiar looking.
Two things missing:

1) A Canadian team
2) Steve Downie

It's fine.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:02 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Two things missing:

1) A Canadian team
2) Steve Downie

It's fine.
bingo
if he would have got traded to Toronto,Ottawa, ect all his past transgressions in the AHL,NHL ect would have been convientantly forgotten by the Canadian press.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 07:41 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

You can see the video on http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/

Scroll down on the right side to see the clip.

After seeing it, I don't know how the league was able to determine intent, and then hand down 20 games. Oh wait, it's Downie.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
You can see the video on http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/

Scroll down on the right side to see the clip.

After seeing it, I don't know how the league was able to determine intent, and then hand down 20 games. Oh wait, it's Downie.
He's intending to hit somebody when he's swinging his stick that hard.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:59 AM
miltons rules

Quote:
The two teams came to center ice for the face-off, and Downie stepped into the face-off circle. Linesman Hamilton prepared to drop the puck. Instead of trying to win the face-off, Downie took a baseball-like swing with full wind-up and struck Hamilton across the right shin. Watching the replay no less than 20 times myself during the postgame, I was appalled not only at the lack of respect for an official, but the sheer violence from one man to another. Heres the most unbelievable part. Hamilton told me after the game he and Downie went to preschool together. Hamilton is one of the youngest linesman in the AHL, and he and Downie know each other outside of the arena. I couldnt believe my ears when he told us that in the tunnel underneath the stands postgame last night. Smith assessed a game misconduct to Downie under rule 41. It was ruled last night as a category one offense, although I did notice this morning the category one part was taken off the scoresheet on theahl.com. A category one is an automatic 20-game suspension, and given the savageness of the hit, it deserved every bit of that. The AHL announced Sunday an indefinite suspension pending league review. Im sure the league office will see what we saw Saturday, an unprovoked attack on an official that was the most vicious Ive ever seen on a referee or linesman. Regardless of the tragic personal story of Steve Downie, I know what Id do if I were king for a day. Hes lost the right to play professional hockey. Hes had more than one second chance. He needs rehabilitation and he needs help. But actions have consequences. For Downie, he has to lose hockey to get better as a human being. Nothing short of that is acceptable.

http://johnwaltonhockey.blogspot.com...day-night.html
ouch!!!!!!!!

miltons rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:34 PM
MiD

this suspension is total bs...

btw why Downie hit on McAmmond is worth 25 games and Janssen on Michalek is worth #2 Hit of the Week by the same NHL??

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiD View Post
this suspension is total bs...

btw why Downie hit on McAmmond is worth 25 games and Janssen on Michalek is worth #2 Hit of the Week by the same NHL??
I was going to post exactly that. Downie is a victim in this case IMO.

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Opus

Reputation is a...(insert 5 letter 'b' word)

It's appears obvious from the video that he was pissed at the other players stick positioning and took a pretty violent swing at it. I think if Downie really wanted to 'abuse the ref', he would of...and could have.

As I said, reputation. Once you have one it's tough to shake and you'll always get the end of the stick (pardon the pun).

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote