HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Re-signing Babchuk and Ruutu: what's it going to take?

Old
03-03-2009, 12:42 AM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Not that I disagree that it's a bad market, but he was also a UFA. As an RFA he wouldn't have gotten half that from Colorado. Probably not even a third of that.
Yep. IIRC, Finger said he was very surprised by the contract offer and was expecting about half that amount.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:22 AM
KILLger

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Not that I disagree that it's a bad market, but he was also a UFA. As an RFA he wouldn't have gotten half that from Colorado. Probably not even a third of that.
I know that the status of each were different. What I'm saying is that it is better to make players feel liked and cared about, if it means giving them 200k grand more... I wouldn't mind it at all. If not, they're less likely to re-sign with us after (and before becoming UFAs) where we have, IMO, not enough bargaining tools.

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:42 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Babchuk View Post
Yep. IIRC, Finger said he was very surprised by the contract offer and was expecting about half that amount.
Ultimate fail by the Leafs there. That contract is still laughable as it was when it happened.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 02:56 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post
Ultimate fail by the Leafs there. That contract is still laughable as it was when it happened.
Out of curiosity, did they have to meet the cap floor? Because that could be the reason.

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:56 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

Less money for Williams, more money for BABCHUK. 50M/10yrs. Get it done.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:00 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Less money for Williams, more money for BABCHUK. 50M/10yrs. Get it done.
can't wait for you to open Anton Babchuk appreciation thread.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:07 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Out of curiosity, did they have to meet the cap floor? Because that could be the reason.
I don't believe it was, but I could be wrong. Either way, Jeff Finger is not the player you overpay to reach the cap floor.

Old
03-12-2009, 01:08 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

Some interesting Ruutu stats:

At home: 33GP, 6G-9A-15PTS -7
On the road: 33GP, 15G-16A-31PTS +5 (17th in the league in road points)

Even strength points: 35 (tied for 45th--as many or more as Kessel, Roy, Doan, Whitney, Gagne, Richards, Zetterberg, Hemsky, Brown, Spezza, etc)

Last season: 100 shots in 77 games (1.3/game)
This season: 153 shots in 66 games (2.32/game)

Old
03-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I think the "RUUUUU" stuff makes him run around too much looking for hits. I think he plays a more complete game on the road. Even still, this tends to show that his upside is still on the upswing, IMO.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 02:00 PM
UnPLEASED Anton

Signing these guys may not be as bad as it seems. There was an article on TSN about how the cap and revenue sharing is being affected by the economy. Some of the higher end UFAs might not get the giant contracts of the past few years, so it seems unlikely that anyone will overpay these guys.

UnPLEASED Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 03:46 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

Ruutu #10 on THN's Top 10 Finnish players (Pitkanen is #7): http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...h-players.html

Habs fans are going crazy because Saku Koivu isn't on the list.

Old
03-12-2009, 03:54 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Duh, Habs fans know everything about hockey. It's a shame this wasn't the list:

1. Saku Koivu
2. Saku Koivu
3. Saku Koivu
4. Saku Koivu
5. Saku Koivu
6. Saku Koivu
7. Saku Koivu
8. Saku Koivu
9. Saku Koivu
10. Saku Koivu

Old
03-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Ruutu #10 on THN's Top 10 Finnish players (Pitkanen is #7): http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...h-players.html

Habs fans are going crazy because Saku Koivu isn't on the list.
Their reasoning why Koivu deserves to be on it over Ruutu and Pitkanen: "He's the captain of the Canadiens and has heart"

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 05:38 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Saku Koivu:

The rest of Finns:

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Teemu

Sorry if I break any hearts, but I should remind you that Ruutu has an incompetent moron as an agent... he'll be seeking at least $4M.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Sorry if I break any hearts, but I should remind you that Ruutu has an incompetent moron as an agent... he'll be seeking at least $4M.
Ya, we heard that last summer as well which is why he signed a one year deal. I think JR basically told him he had to prove his worth.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I think the "RUUUUU" stuff makes him run around too much looking for hits. I think he plays a more complete game on the road. Even still, this tends to show that his upside is still on the upswing, IMO.
Agree - everybody loves the guy and I think we unintentionally put a lot of pressure on him to perform at home. But this guy still could have the potential to be what the Hawks saw when they drafted him, and that would be tremendous for us going forward.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 03:11 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

Final stats for THE ANTON:

72GP, 16G-19A-35PTS +13

He has 9 powerplay goals while averaging 2:22 of PP time per game. That's a phenomenal rate for a defenseman. Compare that to 8 powerplay goals for Corvo while averaging 4:30 per game. Imagine what Babchuk could do with first unit PP time.

Supposedly Denis Grebeshkov is close to signing a two-year deal with the Oilers. He has similar stats to Babchuk (fewer goals but more assists) and is just a few months older. It will be interesting to see how much he gets per year.

Old
04-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Caniac12

The Anton.

Caniac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Meh, he's no Danny Richmond.

But yes, Babchuk has realistic 20-25 goal potential. That shot is world class. Pitkanen and Babchuk could be long term partners here and that would be perfect. If we could find somebody that clicked that well with Gleason we could have a pretty tight Top 4 defense.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

If someone had of told me Anton Babchuk would almost register a 20/20 season and be a +13 I probably would have deleted my account on HF.

In all honesty, when I first heard Anton was coming back I was happy. I thought great, we can utilize him and use his cannon from the blueline. That is one asset many teams wish they had. There is no question Anton has one of the best shots in the league for a defeceman. Even more so, his accuracy is leaps and bounds better than what we saw a couple years ago. Even his hockey sense is pretty decent in terms of knowing when to jump in and when to stay put. I don't want to overrate that to much, but I need to give him credit because it is an area he has improved on. His defensive game has improved. He keeps it pretty simple in his own and and there arent to many nights where you can say Anton hurt the team defensively. That is a big plus and a good sign as he continues to get older.

I figured from the get-go he could be a top 4 man for us. At that time we were looking at Gleason, Pitkanen and Corvo in the top 3 as locks. Babchuk in my opinion was the #4 man and it was up to Wallin, Seidenberg & Melichar to play for the 5/6/7 spots. I figured at that point in time like many that Kaberle would be long gone. The season began and as it went on under the first 25 games under Laviolette, I will fully admit I was convinced Anton just didn't have what it took to be a top 4 man and maybe even a 5/6 man at this point in time. Down the road maybe but at that time, I had my serious doubts. I was under the impression that Anton had not done anything to impress the coaching staff. My oh my how things change and how the true colours appeared. A new head coach, a new lease on life for Anton Babchuk. Turns out the kid not only had some undiscovered talent but his overall game had really improved and all he needed was a chance, a coach to show and put some faith in him, an opportunity. Anton has grabbed that opportunity and absolutely ran with it. He still has some work to do if he wants to be a real good top 4, second pairing defenceman but it seems evident the more he plays, develops and gets older, he could very well get better and polish up his game nicely. At 24 and getting his first real chance, he is sure showing promise to be something. With that said, I am happy to head into next season with Anton in our top 4.

I compared him to Sheldon Souray not to long ago. There was a time when Sheldon was looked at as a depth guy who had a pretty lethal shot but he was considered to rough around the edges to be relied upon defensively and it didn't really look as if his shot would even be enough for him to have an offensive game in the NHL. We all know what happened with Souray and he is now a pretty good defenceman who is potting 20+ a season and is a top defenceman for his team logging huge minutes each night. Can Anton do the same? We'll find out. But I now have some pretty serious hopes. All I know is with Anton, right now, I will never say never.

Last edited by Guerzy: 04-11-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 07:49 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

I too was skeptical about Babchuk early in the season. It looked like he was one of those guys who has a lot of talent but couldn't put "it" together. I even posted here that the league would have to switch to soccer nets in order for him to score 10 goals.

One alarming stat is that Babchuk has shot at 12.6% this season, which is very high for a defenseman. That will likely go down next year, but the good news is his shots-per-game have gone way up in the second half (as you'd expect with an increase in ice time) so he still has a realistic shot at 15+ goals next year even with a drop in %.

Souray is a good comparison. Not the best skater or puck-mover, but possesses an insane slapshot. It would be huge for us if Babchuk could even become a Souray-lite with 15 goals and 40 points a year.

Old
04-11-2009, 08:32 PM
CarolinaHurricanes85

Send a message via AIM to CarolinaHurricanes85
I remember seeing him in Norfolk with the Admirals. Bad attitude, bad press, didn't care at all about learning any English, not fan friendly at all. IE) "The world revolves around me since I was drafted in the 1st round and have a lethal slapshot." attitude. That view was only enforced by his actions with not going to Albany. I was a big skeptic when JR brought him back and wasn't happy at all

But I'll give credit when credit is due, especially for Babchuk. He's shown his worth, maturity, and willingness to do what is necessary. So hopefully he'll be the player that the Hawks originally drafted him for. This season is coming into fruition for him. I do hope for a pleasant contract comes his way.

Last edited by CarolinaHurricanes85: 04-11-2009 at 08:38 PM.
CarolinaHurricanes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 09:09 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
It's easy to tell I'm drunk right now because I would otherwise never do this.

For all those doubters out there:

I TOLD YOU SO

I said the guy would end up as a legit top 4 defenseman when all was said and done this year, even when I doubted myself on that prediction before Maurice came onboard. I said the guy had the talent to be above Seidenberg in the depth chart. I said the guy was a good value for us at $1,000,000 for this season.

God does vindication ever feel good.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:06 PM
GIN ANTONIC

^^^ I'm right there with you. I was always in the pro-babchuk camp and it feels good to know he's becoming the impact player that he is capable of being.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote