HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tim Connolly - Can the Sabres lose another

Old
03-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
San Jose has absolutely not use for Connolly, and they definitely won't be trading Couture for him. The Sharks are stacked down the middle and they aren't going to trade arguably their best forward prospect for a guy who would not play in the top six.
I meant that more as an example than an actual proposal. But teams in SJ's position usually will sacrifice a bit of the future for a real shot at Stanley.

As a Shark's fan, if it would guarantee a cup this year, wouldn't you trade Couture? Not saying TC is that piece you need, but hypothetically do you have any prospect that is worth more than a cup?

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:04 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Guys, I apologize for the "wuss" remark. Anyone who plays in the NHL has had a long road to get there and has had their share of getting their noses dirty.

My point is that since his "head" injuries, he shy's away from contact. If the puck goes along the bards and Tim and the opposing player are neck and neck, Tim will let the opposing player get it. It happenes every game several times. He will no longer initiate any type of contact. That is a fact.

As for Millers defense, you could be right but that would be he skated up to him, he didn't drop his gloves and deck Gomez, nor did he face wash him. He might of said a few words but that was all.

Again, if you are in need of a skilled offensive player for THIS YEARS playoff run, he would be THE BEST pick-up. He's on his game, low salary, been there before, and has something to prove....contract year. IF you are asking about the offseason and if you should sign him.....no freakin way....he is one hit away from retirement, one check away from an upper body injury, one hit away from "my ribs are hurt" or my blade of my skate got caught in a rut and my groin hurts.....he's made of glass. Again, he needs to go to a team with a lot of money, so if he does get hurt, they can IR him and it won't hurt them.

Because of that last statement about the money, I do not want the Sabres to sign him. His last 3 years with us have been a total disappointment because of his lack of playing time, and the roughly $9mil he has tied up over the last 3 years. I hope we have nothing to do with him any longer. Plus, if he isn't giving the Sabres a discount right now, better yet, an incentive laden contract, then he is the dink Milbury called him.

One comment about Jordan Staal of Pittsburgh. It's hard to judge this kid. I've liked what I have seen from him, especially at 20 but the kid has the luxury of playing behind 2 of the top 5 players in the league. He plays the opposing teams 3rd liners. Teams game plan against Sid and Malkin, no one game plans for their 3rd line center, and last year, he was their 4th behind Malone. Just facts, no disrespect to the kid. I would be jumping for joy if he was traded to the Sabres. But it would be hard to give up a lot for him without him proving himself against top 6 talent. Granted, excellent PKer. I'd take him in a minute.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorhtPortFL View Post
My point is that since his "head" injuries, he shy's away from contact. If the puck goes along the bards and Tim and the opposing player are neck and neck, Tim will let the opposing player get it. It happenes every game several times. He will no longer initiate any type of contact. That is a fact.

Because of that last statement about the money, I do not want the Sabres to sign him. His last 3 years with us have been a total disappointment because of his lack of playing time, and the roughly $9mil he has tied up over the last 3 years. I hope we have nothing to do with him any longer. Plus, if he isn't giving the Sabres a discount right now, better yet, an incentive laden contract, then he is the dink Milbury called him.

One comment about Jordan Staal of Pittsburgh. It's hard to judge this kid. I've liked what I have seen from him, especially at 20 but the kid has the luxury of playing behind 2 of the top 5 players in the league. He plays the opposing teams 3rd liners. Teams game plan against Sid and Malkin, no one game plans for their 3rd line center, and last year, he was their 4th behind Malone. Just facts, no disrespect to the kid. I would be jumping for joy if he was traded to the Sabres. But it would be hard to give up a lot for him without him proving himself against top 6 talent. Granted, excellent PKer. I'd take him in a minute.
I take exception with the 3 bolded statements.

Firstly, since his return Timmy has been initiating contact and he also goes into the high traffic areas. He makes himself vulnerable because he holds onto the puck too long. It's his strength and weakness. He's no Gaustad, but do you really expect him to be?

Second, Tim doesn't qualify for an incentive laden contract. So saying he's a 'dink' for not taking one... Well, that's Fred Flintstone's opinion and not mine.

Third, Jordan Staal plays on the 3rd line, but not against 3rd liners. He plays a shutdown role against other teams' top lines. Mike Peca played on the 3rd line in Buffalo too, but not against 3rd liners.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
connolly might be the best pickup of this year. He has skills out his ass and is a PPG player his entire career, he is healthy now and playing well...
Say whaaaat!?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8467878

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Selanne00008

^^^ If you take into account his last 4 seasons, he is pretty close to it. And those #'s are with multiple injuries and sporatic playing time.

get the ball rolling on a healthy season and he can put up 30G 50A. Will it ever happen? Doubtful

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 11:06 AM
61ncville

I am still holding out hope that the CBJ still get this done. For what? I am not sure.

61ncville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 11:09 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Connolly really should be traded, but what can Buff get in return? Maybe a prospect and a mid/later round draft pick. If I was a GM interested in Connolly, what would I give up? Not very much; he's an oft-injured UFA after this yr...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote