HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I telieve think this is all good for Price

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2009, 12:16 PM
  #51
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caekslap View Post
That's because: after a loss, idiots like you just described, love to create new threads enitled: ZOMG TRAED PRICE FOR LECAVALIER PLZZZZZ.

People who DON'T think that, are completely disgusted with these morons and leave the forum before snapping their keyboard in half. (ex: me)
Fair point.

The truth of all this is somewhere in the middle for both of them, I think.

Price is not half as bad as people seem to think lately. It's called a slump and adversity. I still see as many Vezinas in his future as I did last month. He will bounce back and be a #1 goalie for a good long time.

Halak, who has played lights out, isn't quite as good as some people are touting either (not a knock, but after a few good games, there are some ready to retire his number it seems).

I think this whole episode is going to be a great thing for Price, Halak and Montreal, to be honest.

Price learned that he has a lot of work to do if he wants to be the goalie he clearly has the talent to be.... Halak confirmed that he can be a very good NHL starter and take the #1 job if he earns it. And Montreal learned that they have two bona-fide starting quality goalies.

Long term, the team will have to choose. For all the comparisons, in terms of the spot MTL is in, I think Theodore/Garon works best. Eventually one has to go and hopefully they both turn out a bit better

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:26 PM
  #52
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Richard View Post
Why because i tell the truth ??? Because i aint a fan boy ?? I have witnessed real teams in Montreal , i dont settle for being happy to make the playoffs .Its not a "moral " victory to beat the Bruins to me .
It's not about being a fan boy but more like suporting the team you cheer for. The Price crap you say, c'mon man, you know he has talent so be patient. He is one of the best thing in MTL. Sure did strugle at time but that why teams have 2 goales and we have Halak. The better news now is that Halak is doing much better the expected.
Will Price come out of this slum? time will tell but one thing is for sure, he has the talent and poise to do it. Can't you just lighted up a bit and stop bashing
The Lats comment 2 are a little out of line cause him to his learning the game and was part of Lapierre coming out party.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:37 PM
  #53
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
The playoffs will tell the story, yup. Many great goalies will never be remembered without a cup. But for now, the evidence is pretty compelling that Halak is not a fluke. He dominated in the AHL, and now given a starting role, is beginning to dominate in the NHL. He's been consistently overlooked as nothing more than a backup in the NHL. It's hard to get noticed in that role.

Theodore was amazing for 3 years and if he wins a cup or 2 with Washington you might have to reconsider that point. Not many goalies out there have won hart trophies.
Yan Danis has two shutouts in his last 3 games ( he allowed 1 goal in 3 games !!!!)...with the Islanders, on top of that...

Did Gainey make another mistake about his goaltending ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:38 PM
  #54
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Yan Danis has two shutouts in his last 3 games ( he allowed 1 goal in 3 games !!!!)...with the Islanders, on top of that...

Did Gainey make another mistake about his goaltending ?
You are being sarcastic, right?

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:43 PM
  #55
GoldenForum
Registered User
 
GoldenForum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Richard View Post
Smokey won a gold medal for canada ..big deal , where are Jeff Glass , Justin Pogge ,Sergei Mylnikov ,Al Montoya and Zdenek Smid playing these days ..all goalies to win GOLD medals in the last decade at the WJC ..it dont mean jack squat what you do in the WJC . Price sucks at the NHL level .
You conveniently forget to include Steve Mason

When I started this thread, it was not intended to take anything away from Halak-- he has been unbelievable and I love it. Perhaps he will be the Habs #1 long-term (that is, in the playoffs and beyond this season). If he plays like he has lately, he'll deserve it (and I couldn't care less that he was drafted so late...so were Markov, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc. If you can play, you can play. My thinking, however, is that Price will ultimately be a much better goalie than Halak (who I adore). And I 'telieve' that he will grow/mature from this recent fiasco. It's a great thing we have Halak to save our ass of late. Long term, I still think Carey's our man. If it turns out to be Halak and we win, no problem.

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:45 PM
  #56
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Wow... Maurice Richards is taking idiocy to a new level

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:46 PM
  #57
Habsfan18
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,164
vCash: 500
exactly what I said last night. I think this is good for Price, nothing wrong with a little bit of competition to motivate him to play better.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:48 PM
  #58
Souvenirs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Trois-Rivieres
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,949
vCash: 500
Maurice Richard (change your username, you ain't worthy of it) is challenging Erika Kostitsyn for ''worst Habs board poster''.
Jesus Christ.

People are quick to forget. You know, when Price was injured and Halak was starting every game, how people couldn't wait to have Price back because Halak was very average and cost us 2 games alone (NJ, Atlanta). He also **** the bed vs Anaheim and Colombus.
**** happens, seriously. Halak wasn't finished because of a few sub-par performances. Same for Price. IMO, Price has more potential down the stretch, but that's it, he'll have to earn his spot again and that's fine. He's only 21 and playing goalie for the Montreal Canadiens after the #1 goalie spot was thrown at him. Jaro didn't have half of the pressure and burden Carey had on his shoulders at the beginning of the year.
Pricey will bounce back, no doubt about it.
Trading Price ''while he has value'' ? Rofl, make me laugh more, his value right now is probably the lowest he'll have throughout his career. Not to mention, trading a top struggling young talent like him = 98% of it biting you in the ass

Jaro is playing extraordinary. Great. Price will be extraordinary too. Great. That's our goaltending DUO, guys. **** about the competition, they're on the same team and we're priviledged to have great young talent between the pipes.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:48 PM
  #59
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Richard View Post
Smokey won a gold medal for canada ..big deal , where are Jeff Glass , Justin Pogge ,Sergei Mylnikov ,Al Montoya and Zdenek Smid playing these days ..all goalies to win GOLD medals in the last decade at the WJC ..it dont mean jack squat what you do in the WJC . Price sucks at the NHL level .
I assume the stories that came out this year have soured you on him, but say what you want about his off ice habits, until about two months ago, the kid has basically done no wrong at the NHL level. His stats, specifically, for a goalie his age were off the charts (and frankly still are not that bad).

Sure, the WJCs do not equal NHL success, but not many goalies were as dominant as him and none of those guys then immediately did that at the AHL level without missing a step. Then played their way to the #1 spot on a team that finished first in the East.

Don't like him? Sure, if a lot of the stories we heard are true, then the kid has a lot to sort out off the ice to really do well at the NHL level... but your dislike of him has blinded you to common sense and logic when it comes to his actual real performance.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 12:49 PM
  #60
1UP
Registered User
 
1UP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,926
vCash: 500
I'd say we have 20 games before the playoffs, and Carbo seems to be doing the intelligent thing and letting the goalies decide by themselves who is going to be the man for the playoffs, with their performances.

Halak is, right now, showing he's the man. But remember for a bit when Price got hurt, Halak had all sorts of troubles. Before Price got hurt, he was a monster. He was insane. Now, he he plays badly.

The moral of this story? We have 2 young goalies. We can't really treat them like they will be good or bad forever. Maybe Price will go in the playoffs and dominate. That'd be sweet.

But whether it's Halak or Price, I don't care. I just hope Carbo will listen to his balls like he's doing right now and follow with the goalie most likely to bring him a cup.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:34 PM
  #61
Ape Clutch
Registered User
 
Ape Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Haiti
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Imagin-aaaaaaaa-tion Imagin-aaaaaaaaa-tion

No one cares which goalie wins as long as they do. In fact this is better for Price because now he realizes the #1 spot is not just given to him on a silver platter. Have a seat Carey and work your ass off in practice.
Oh man that episode (both parts) had so much going on

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:38 PM
  #62
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
huge LOL @ all the bandwagoners. 4 good games by Halak = Vezina and 4 bad ones by Price = trade him! he sucks!

Seriously, i bet half of these guys were on Price's nuts when he was playing awesome a month ago.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:41 PM
  #63
Stubbs88
Registered User
 
Stubbs88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD!!

I have been getting railed for the past few weeks for sayin Carey will be sthe starter come playoff time.

Obviously you go with the hot hand and if Halak is still the better goalie at that point I will cheer just as loud and support this team the whole way.
That being said I am a HUGE Carey Price fan and belive that he is the future in nets for the Montreal Canadiens. We have alot of good years ahead of us if we can keep this kid aound.
People saying they hope he is traded are INSANE, and this is just ridiculous. Let him earn his spot back between the pipes (as i think he will). If not we go with Halak and Price learns valuable lesson and is better for it.

Stubbs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:48 PM
  #64
Krautso
Registered User
 
Krautso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
The comparison with Hasek is apt then considering the way Hasek was initially perceived. Honestly, I'm hard pressed to think of a better 4 game stretch for a recent Habs goalie than the one Halak just had. He has been dominant in a way that dispels any notions of it just being a fluke or a consequence of great defense play. I think Carbo and Gainey are keenly aware of this. They have someone special on their hands. It's going to be very hard to justify giving the job to Price down the stretch, or any start at all actually.
This is how CP finished the season off last year. You don't have to go back that far.


Date Opponent Result GS MIN W L OTL EGA GA GAA SA SV SV% SO
Apr 5 TOR W 3-1 1 60 1 0 0 0 1 1.00 27 26 .963 0
Apr 3 BUF W 3-1 1 60 1 0 0 0 1 1.00 28 27 .964 0
Apr 1 @ OTT W 3-0 1 60 1 0 0 0 0 0.00 32 32 1.000 1

Mar 28 @ BUF W 4-3 1 63 1 0 0 0 3 2.87 38 35 .921

Halak has a sv % of less than .900 in 12 of 28 starts. CP has 13 in 35. Given his injury troubles, I'd say hes been the more consistent goalie. I'm all for starting Halak during his streak but it will come to an end and Price will get his starts coming down the stretch to go into the playoffs.

4 games is nothing. Bad 4 games by CP and good 4 games by Halak means Halak is getting the starts while CP continues to practice to get back into form. Don't kid yourself. Its a very long shot to have Halak become the #1 going into the PO.

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:59 PM
  #65
Toro
Registered User
 
Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,752
vCash: 500
I have been on halak's bandwagon for years. Before he ever played for the habs. He is a great goalie, a true number 1.

I wasn't too excited the minute Price was drafted but i warmed up to it when i saw him play a few times and then with Canada. And especially when he came to Hamilton and stole the show and went all the way and won the Calder trophy almost by himself, along with contributions from Chipchura, O'byrne, Lapierre and A.J. Baines who is in europe now? Hamilton was not a top team before Price arrived.

Halak is older and had a great time in the minors. He nearly captured the starting job for good a couple years ago but we missed the playoffs by a hair. Halak has been good ever since he came over to North America when he played Junior in the Quebec League.

Both goalies are starters and will be for years to come. Hopefully we keep them both for another year, but we will see.

Long story short, Price is the better goalie, maybe not right now but he has been and will be the better goalie. Im not trying to break Halak down, its just that Price is bigger and just as quick.

Can't we like both? do we always have to hate someone just cause they are having a tough stretch after an injury? Especially a young player who is still maturing and growing into the role? Seriously, Price is a top Goalie in the League if you can't accept that then you are just a hater.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 02:17 PM
  #66
Frankenheimer
Registered User
 
Frankenheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MTL
Posts: 1,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautso View Post
This is how CP finished the season off last year. You don't have to go back that far.


Date Opponent Result GS MIN W L OTL EGA GA GAA SA SV SV% SO
Apr 5 TOR W 3-1 1 60 1 0 0 0 1 1.00 27 26 .963 0
Apr 3 BUF W 3-1 1 60 1 0 0 0 1 1.00 28 27 .964 0
Apr 1 @ OTT W 3-0 1 60 1 0 0 0 0 0.00 32 32 1.000 1

Mar 28 @ BUF W 4-3 1 63 1 0 0 0 3 2.87 38 35 .921

Halak has a sv % of less than .900 in 12 of 28 starts. CP has 13 in 35. Given his injury troubles, I'd say hes been the more consistent goalie. I'm all for starting Halak during his streak but it will come to an end and Price will get his starts coming down the stretch to go into the playoffs.

4 games is nothing. Bad 4 games by CP and good 4 games by Halak means Halak is getting the starts while CP continues to practice to get back into form. Don't kid yourself. Its a very long shot to have Halak become the #1 going into the PO.

I realize it seems I'm just taking Halak's recent performance in isolation, but I think we've seen Price in more contexts (as a starter, down the stretch, playoffs) than we have Halak, whose role has been backup and played one playoff game (he did well I thought). Now we're getting a better chance to see what he's like under pressure (number 1, down the stretch), and we all have to admit this stretch run is more stressful than the last two seasons considering the expectations. I just see Halak dealing with pressure better than Price. I think that's being proven. Price might turn out to be a great goalie, but right now I just don't think he has the mentality to deal with the pressure of being a Habs goalie in the playoffs. I think Halak may have that mentality and I'm fairly certain we're going to get a chance to test that theory. Price for all his great performances has just not done well under pressure and his reaction to failure shows someone that hasn't developed a mechanism for dealing with it yet.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 02:29 PM
  #67
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
No matter what Halak does, fanboys still insisting on Price.

Seems to me that Halak needs to do something 5 times better then Price to get the same recognition. Its sad really..

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 03:35 PM
  #68
Souvenirs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Trois-Rivieres
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,949
vCash: 500
^

And no matter what Price did, fanboys still insisting on Halak.

It goes both ways.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 04:01 PM
  #69
RushDP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Richard View Post
Why because i tell the truth ??? Because i aint a fan boy ?? I have witnessed real teams in Montreal , i dont settle for being happy to make the playoffs .Its not a "moral " victory to beat the Bruins to me .
No, it's because you are not a fan. You also do not tell the truth just your version of the truth which is invariably influenced by your hate of certain players. Your comments on Price are indicative of your hate level so everything you say will be perceived as being biased. It's only normal after all to judge you on your comments and those are negative in nature so why would anybody expect a positive post from you?

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:26 PM
  #70
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User
 
Bring_Bak_Damphousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Richard View Post
Heres hoping Smokey is a Hab for only a day or two more .

Here's to hoping that a day or two more will effectively end your tenure on HF Boards. Why don't you change your name to Johnny Bucyk and go post on the Bruins board where you belong.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:30 PM
  #71
Fire Brunet*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .-.
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
I actually remember when we couldn't wait for Price to get back because Halak single-handedly cost us a few games during his injury...Remember when we were all whining about his rebound control and Brunet wanted to kill Jaro?

Ah bandwagonners... sometime I wonder why I'm arguing with a few of them... :/

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:59 PM
  #72
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Richard View Post
Heres hoping Smokey is a Hab for only a day or two more .
I feel the same thing for you as a member here.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:13 PM
  #73
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Richard View Post
Why because i tell the truth ??? Because i aint a fan boy ?? I have witnessed real teams in Montreal , i dont settle for being happy to make the playoffs .Its not a "moral " victory to beat the Bruins to me .
Because you're a hater and brings absolutely nothing to this board. You are trying to be different by bashing our key player when he is on a slump.

Mod edit

Price won the gold medal and was the mvp of the tournament.
Price help the bulldogs win the Calder cup and he was named the mvp of in the playoff.

He has his ups and downs in the nhl, just like Andrei Kostitsyn but we all know both have a lots of potential. Its just a matter of confidence.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-01-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Keep the personal comments out.
Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:13 PM
  #74
CPrice
Registered User
 
CPrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Richard View Post
Smokey won a gold medal for canada ..big deal , where are Jeff Glass , Justin Pogge ,Sergei Mylnikov ,Al Montoya and Zdenek Smid playing these days ..all goalies to win GOLD medals in the last decade at the WJC ..it dont mean jack squat what you do in the WJC . Price sucks at the NHL level .
That Steve Mason kid sucks too, only 8 shutouts as a rookie. I mean this kid did win the WJC, why can't he show up more.

Mod edit


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-01-2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Keep the personal comments out.
CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:30 AM
  #75
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kingbobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 4,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I telieve as well.

Telieve > Believe

This could be a good luck omen.
I guess we have our 09 SC playoff slogan

I Telieve!

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.