HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ryder

Old
03-01-2009, 11:29 AM
thefifthsedin*

vCash: 500
ryder

how come mike gillis didn't try to sign michael ryder from montreal in the off season?, he's doing if not great so at least very good in boston bruins

he's 22+19 in 55 games and is +25 with 7 game winners which is 8th in the league

ryder's perhaps inconsistent and sometimes invisible, but so is kyle wellwood and gillis signed him after cliff 'the genius' fletcher told him that wellwood is 'a point per game guy', well cliff he is, but only in your head, not on the ice

the thing is ryder's a natural goal scorer, and that's what the team needs, that's what every team needs, ask boston

thefifthsedin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifthsedin View Post
how come mike gillis didn't try to sign michael ryder from montreal in the off season?, he's doing if not great so at least very good in boston bruins
Considering he acquired his negotiation rights a couple days before July 1st, Gillis definitely tried to sign Ryder. Ryder however prefered to stay in the east and play for his old coach, Claude Julien.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:03 PM
MKennedy

As far as I can remember, I'm pretty sure he did try and make a push for Ryder but in the end, Ryder decided to sign with Boston. Correct me if I'm wrong.

MKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:04 PM
VanEric

Michael Ryder figured out that he's only been good with Claude Julien as his coach. If we had signed him, we might have gotten the Michael Ryder from last season and not the Ryder who produces under Julien.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

From what I can remember, Gillis offered him the same contract the Bruins did, but Ryder chose Boston.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Shareefruck

No. This used to be an ideal idea back when the Sedins played that style of game where they relied on the one-timer from the slot, but their game has evolved and I wouldn't want to encourage them to get back to that. I'd rather play them with a guy with intangibles that can actually help them (like Burrows). The ideal guy for the Sedins now is someone who can play a good forechecking game but has more finish and scoring instincts.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
From what I can remember, Gillis offered him the same contract the Bruins did, but Ryder chose Boston.
This is what I heard as well. Gillis then signed Backes to an offersheet and then ended up with Bernier.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 01:57 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
This is what I heard as well. Gillis then signed Backes to an offersheet and then ended up with Bernier.
It was Ryder himself who confirmed that story. He said that he had the same offer from Vancouver but chose to stay out east because his family is out there.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Velociraptor

Yeah, Ryder was given an enticing offer from Gillis roughly around the same amount as he was offered by Chiarelli, but I read in the St. John's newspaper that Ryder signed because of a close relationship with coach Claude Julien, and so his mom could watch his hockey games (-1.5 time difference) opposed to playing a -4.5 time difference in Vancouver.

But, he isn't a fast skater, but has one hell of a shot. Wouldn't be able to keep up with the Sedins.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Hal 9000*

Last year at this time any of us who considered getting Ryder from Montreal was laughed at mercilously - what a difference a year makes.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 03:16 PM
thefifthsedin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
Considering he acquired his negotiation rights a couple days before July 1st, Gillis definitely tried to sign Ryder. Ryder however prefered to stay in the east and play for his old coach, Claude Julien.
OK, so he did try, now I know that. but did he try to hold on to david backes before he did steve bernier? that's strange, he [backes] hasn't showed that much potential really, or am I missing something here?

Old
03-01-2009, 03:22 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
OK, so he did try, now I know that. but did he try to hold on to david backes before he did steve bernier? that's strange, he [backes] hasn't showed that much potential really, or am I missing something here?
Backes is only 24 and is on pace for about 25 goals, 45 points, 200+ hits and he plays in every situation. I wouldn't say he hasn't shown much potential.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Bullet Tooth Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Backes is only 24 and is on pace for about 25 goals, 45 points, 200+ hits and he plays in every situation. I wouldn't say he hasn't shown much potential.
Agreed... I would kill to have that manbeast on my team! Call me nuts, but I think I just might take him over a guy like Perron or Oshie. (By all accounts, I've even heard a few Blues fans throw his name out there as a future Blues captain... take it with a grain of salt obviously, but he's definitely got game and could easily merit a letter down the line).

To the poster who said that Ryder couldn't keep up with the Sedins, the Sedins aren't exactly speedsters themselves, so I don't see what the problem would be here. I don't even have a problem with the fact that Ryder is more of a trigger man than a mucker with hands, because so was Anson Carter. I think he would actually work pretty well with them, and even if he didn't, the guy is a natural goal scorer, and I'm pretty sure I could find room for him *somewhere*.

That being said, we had our shot at him, and gave it the old college try, and ultimately he chose to stay closer to home and go play for his old coach. That's what free agency is for, no biggie. I agree with the poster who said he might not have been as good for this team anyways. Not because he isn't a good player, because I'm not surprised he's having a big bounce back year... it's not like he's old or coming off a major injury, and it's not like a guy with his hands forgets how to score... bottom line - he lost his confidence. But the reason he looks SOOOOO good is because Boston is such a freakin' good team! They could make Wade Brookbank a 20 goal man

Bullet Tooth Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 03:53 PM
thefifthsedin*

I ment compared to bernier, I didn't mean backes sucks but ... where lies the outlined difference between them?

bernier should feel in a little strange position if he was the third choice after ryder and backes

Old
03-01-2009, 03:55 PM
jabberhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Yorke View Post
Yeah, Ryder was given an enticing offer from Gillis roughly around the same amount as he was offered by Chiarelli, but I read in the St. John's newspaper that Ryder signed because of a close relationship with coach Claude Julien, and so his mom could watch his hockey games (-1.5 time difference) opposed to playing a -4.5 time difference in Vancouver.

But, he isn't a fast skater, but has one hell of a shot. Wouldn't be able to keep up with the Sedins.
I also remember hearing (or reading rather) that Ryder was weary of playing hockey in another Canadian market after being given such a rough ride in Montreal. It would have been nice to have him in a Canucks jersey, but he's thriving in Boston so obviously it's a good fit for him there.

Quote:
ryder's perhaps inconsistent and sometimes invisible, but so is kyle wellwood and gillis signed him after cliff 'the genius' fletcher told him that wellwood is 'a point per game guy', well cliff he is, but only in your head, not on the ice
IF Cliff "the genius" Fletcher actually thought Wellwood could be "a point per game guy" in the NHL, I really don't think he would have placed him on waivers. I'm pretty sure it was John "the uber genius" Ferguson, Jr. who fed Gillis that little tidbit of wisdom.

jabberhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Bullet Tooth Tony

Quote:
I ment compared to bernier, I didn't mean backes sucks but ... where lies the outlined difference between them?

bernier should feel in a little strange position if he was the third choice after ryder and backes
I don't think that's a fair view at all. Gillis moved from tendering an offer to an unrestricted free agent (no compensation whatsoever), to a restricted free agent (I think it would've cost us something like a second round pick to sign Backes), to acquiring Bernier in a trade. In short, Bernier was the most difficult guy for Gillis to get of the three. With Backes, he would just have to throw a nice-sized dollar figure at him, and then give up the pick(s). No negotiation with another GM to make a deal. Remember that when Gillis first came in, there were some very vocal GMs who vowed not to deal with him. There was a time last summer when it looked like he might have to build most of our team through the free agent market. (Thankfully this is no longer the case, as the NHL is a business... and one that isn't big enough to truly allow personal vendettas to get in the way).

Bullet Tooth Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Ryder cost 4.5 million for Boston which seemed an overpayment. I still find him overpaid but not nearly as much as I did in July when he did get signed. It seemed laughable but everything Chiarelli does turns to gold. He seemed to know that Marc Savard could get the best out of anyone and that Krejci and Wheeler would be great to play with too. Canucks taking Ryder at 4.5 would not have produced the potential 30+ goal, 60+ point guy Ryder has been (despite missing about 10 games and not getting 1st line minutes all the time).

He'd do alright with the Sedins but Boston is so stacked compared to the Canucks. I'd say even in a full 82 games, Ryder could get 30-35-65 with the Sedins but he'll reach that without top minutes and missing time due to injury. He'd be great for the PP mind you (a big reason for the Habs having top 10 PPs in each of his 4 seasons there, not so much the 4th but still). Gillis would have been questioned big time for such a signing for a guy coming off a 14 goal, 31 pt. season on a 1st place team. Ryder doesn't play much defense and can be a little boneheaded at times but you don't notice these things on a powerhouse team like the B's. That said, it's not like you're better off with Bernier, a French guy even the Habs wouldn't touch. We have our own semi-disappointing Quebecer (Latendresse) thank you very much!

Last edited by Hab-a-maniac: 03-01-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 04:09 PM
thefifthsedin*

john ferguson?, yes, perhaps it was him, it is only in his head kyle wellwood is a 'point per game guy' ... so how come gillis bought it?

i somehow like wellwood anyway, he reminds me of myself ...

Old
03-01-2009, 04:31 PM
CrosbyCrosby*

gillis took wellwood off waivers it's not like he gave up anything for him.

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Stojanov*

Quote:

he's 22+19 in 55 games and is +25 with 7 game winners which is 8th in the league

the thing is ryder's a natural goal scorer, and that's what the team needs, that's what every team needs, ask boston

of course he tried dumbass, I remember when he signed everyone was glad gillis wasnt stupid enough to spend the amound boston did.

Gillis is doing phenominal

also, we claimed wellwood, its not exactly the same scenario.

Stojanov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 11:59 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
It was Ryder himself who confirmed that story. He said that he had the same offer from Vancouver but chose to stay out east because his family is out there.
I believe he also said he didn't want the pressure of a Canadian market.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:04 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

I thought he would have been a good fit here too.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Zorbane

So I hold this thread as Exhibit A as to why the Canucks (and the fans) shouldn't hope on using free agency to fill major holes in the line up.

Sign Bouwmeester for 6.5mil
Sign etc for xmil

Whoops Bouwmeester got offered the same/less from another team and went there instead.

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:31 PM
thefifthsedin*

there's no reason he shouldn't have been a good fit with the sedins ...

but it's obvious that he wanted to play for a coach [claude julien] that he knows and who trust him and knows how to play him right + that he felt uncomfortable playing for a canadian team with all the goofy fans and media + that his mom wants to watch his games and go to bed early after the evening tea ... sounds like a really emotional small town guy

Old
03-02-2009, 02:22 PM
rye&ginger

Ryder would not have worked with the Sedins. Im no expert on Ryder but I have never noticed him to go and get the puck off teh boards or forecheck hard, which is what the Sedins need with them unless you are getting a big time player who will make things happen on their own.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote