HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting Info: Part VII (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2009, 06:17 PM
BZArcher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Puck Daddy says Pekka Rinne is just as good as Mason, but without the hype: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...48987#comments
I don't think he's entirely wrong (Rinne -is- pretty good), but I think the big difference is that Mason's barely old enough to shave, where Rinne's in his mid-20s. I think Mason has MUCH more room to grow.

Old
03-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Rinne's and Mason's numbers are almost identical, so he really is as good as Mason this year. The difference between them is Pekka is 26 and Mason is 20. That's why Mason gets the hype, not that he wants any hype.

Old
03-19-2009, 07:12 AM
Skraut

Blue Jackets primed for first playoff run.

Quote:
You know it when you see it, the beginning of something special.

For as long as they’ve existed, the Columbus Blue Jackets have been an outcast with little to no hope of playing meaningful games in the latter months of the regular season. But this time, things are playing out a little differently.

Columbus is winning, and winning a lot. So much so that it is preparing to make a final push to clinch the first playoff berth in franchise history.

“It’s fun playing at this time of the season, when hockey means something,” captain Rick Nash said. “We are not used to this. Right now, there is something in the bigger picture, and we are excited to be playing.

“We are close, but there are still (11) games left to play in the season, so we can’t get too far ahead of ourselves. We are close and are getting better every game.”

Old
03-19-2009, 08:37 AM
anteater90

They also have been outscored, 199-198, overall.

The above is from the same article. What drives me nuts is with the exception of Minnesota all of the teams chasing us have a worse goal differential.

Old
03-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Skraut

http://www.pocketexpressblog.com/200...-it-right-nhl/

Quote:

Columbus, Ohio, a hockey town? Forgive me if I seem a little confused while saying this, but it is kind of surprising. Sixth place in the Western Conference, average crowd turnouts around the 20,000 mark and a really hot, young team of players; I have a feeling that this team is here to stay.

With four weeks left to go before playoffs, I will be watching the West and the Columbus Blue Jackets very closely. While they are not favorites to go all the way this year, it will only be a question of time before they are.

Old
03-19-2009, 01:55 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Quote:
average crowd turnouts around the 20,000 mark
Huh??????????

Old
03-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCosta Nostra View Post
Huh??????????
They're rounding 15k up

Old
03-19-2009, 02:19 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
They're rounding 15k up
While they're at it, can they round our 80pts up to 100?

Old
03-20-2009, 09:02 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

TSN: Ranking the Top 100 Rookies

TSN released it's rankings of this year's Rookie class.

1. Mason
9. Brassard
17. Voracek
85. Dorsett

http://tsn.ca/columnists/scott_culle...s=secStory_nhl

Old
03-20-2009, 09:08 PM
skimp

Mason at number one is really no surprise, but it's nice to see Brass still get such recognition after being out for so long.

Old
03-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Prophecy

Voracek at 17 is a bit disappointing actually...

Old
03-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ John View Post
Voracek at 17 is a bit disappointing actually...
He really hasn't done much.

His play has been pretty good...but point production is a little lower than everyone would like.

Old
03-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilliardsw55 View Post

His play has been pretty good...but point production is a little lower than everyone would like.
Yep, and Rick Nash was a pretty disappointing rookie too.

You realize he's on pace to finish the season being the highest scoring rookie the Blue Jackets have ever had, right? All the while being defensively better than a lot of others at such a young age.

Old
03-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Prophecy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilliardsw55 View Post

We must not be watching the same guy. Voracek has had a very good rookie season and his point production hasn't been all that bad either...

35 points is 4 shy of Rick Nash's rookie season....11 games left

Old
03-20-2009, 09:23 PM
MFRONE

Voracek should be above Okposo, Giroux, Wheeler (who looks good based on the players around him) and possibly even Quick.

Old
03-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Prophecy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
Yep, and Rick Nash was a pretty disappointing rookie too.

You realize he's on pace to finish the season being the highest scoring rookie the Blue Jackets have ever had, right? All the while being defensively better than a lot of others at such a young age.
Point.

Old
03-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Doug19

No surprise that Brassard is in the the top 10. Had he of stayed healthy though he would be #1 or #2. Oh how we forget how quickly he was running away with the rookie scoring lead.

Oh and Voracek is better now than Nash was in his first season. Voracek is almost defensively on par with Nash. That Right Winger of ours is going to be an all-star in this league.

Old
03-20-2009, 09:35 PM
skimp

Quote:
Big fish, little pond. It doesn't necessarily make Jake better in terms of a league-wide ranking.

That's not to say he isn't having a very good rookie season, though: he is. And he IS much better defensively (Nash wasn't so keen on the whole defense thing until Hitch got here.) and very well could pass Nash's rookie marks. Jake's going to be a stud for sure.

Old
03-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Prophecy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp View Post
Big fish, little pond. It doesn't necessarily make Jake better in terms of a league-wide ranking.

That's not to say he isn't having a very good rookie season, though: he is. And he IS much better defensively (Nash wasn't so keen on the whole defense thing until Hitch got here.) and very well could pass Nash's rookie marks. Jake's going to be a stud for sure.
Case was responding to Hilliard's point that "he hasn't really done much". That's just flat wrong...

Old
03-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Rinne should be #2.

Voracek is right where he should be, setting a Blue Jacket rookie record has nothing to do with the guys ranked ahead of him.

Old
03-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp View Post

John covered what the point of my post was. If I was doing this list, I'd definitely have Jake a few spots higher, but his ranking is pretty fair. But the point that I was making was, if anybody thinks he's having a poor/average/OK rookie season is flat out wrong. He is having a very solid rookie season. Kane, Toews, Malkin, or Ovechkin-like? No. But he'll go down as the best we've ever had in terms of points production in our short history. And with his solid defense, I don't see how you could knock his rookie season.

Old
03-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Rinne should be #2.

Voracek is right where he should be, setting a Blue Jacket rookie record has nothing to do with the guys ranked ahead of him.
I'm glad you guys can read. I was responding to Hilliard saying:

Quote:

Good grief.

Old
03-20-2009, 09:48 PM
skimp

Quote:
John covered what the point of my post was. If I was doing this list, I'd definitely have Jake a few spots higher, but his ranking is pretty fair. But the point that I was making was, if anybody thinks he's having a poor/average/OK rookie season is flat out wrong. He is having a very solid rookie season. Kane, Toews, Malkin, or Ovechkin-like? No. But he'll go down as the best we've ever had in terms of points production in our short history. And with his solid defense, I don't see how you could knock his rookie season.
No, I cannot read, nor do I care to learn. My apologies.

Old
03-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Doug19

Voracek is having an outstanding rookie season in my opinion. I forget who said it but a poster on here couldn't have been more spot on in training camp when he said we needed to lower our expectations for Voracek and raise our expectations for Brassard. The season was playing out exactly like that. Voracek though has an opportunity to be better player every year than Nash was meaning his 2nd year he was better than Nash was in his 2nd year..etc...Voracek is someone I was willing to throw in trades to get a better player instead of Filatov. After watching Voracek this year I wouldn't consider trading Voracek for very many players in this league. He deserves where he is ranked simply because this years rookie class has had very great depth at the expense of top end talent minus Mason who has been a superstar this year.

Old
03-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

If only this coach didn't hate young players.

Closed Thread