HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Calgary Businessman Brett Wilson Interested in Stake in Preds

Old
10-17-2008, 10:31 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

vCash: 500
Calgary Businessman Brett Wilson Interested in Stake in Preds

On the Forecheck article

Globe & Mail article

Quote:
"Would I be interested in buying into the Predators? In a heartbeat, yeah," said Wilson, who is also known across Canada as a panelist on the CBC television show Dragons' Den. "The NHL knows I'm interested. I've supplied all the paperwork. Once Boots's share is free, we'll try to finalize an opportunity. My ownership unit would be nominal."
Quote:
"I have several businesses there and real estate. I happen to like the city and the NHL and no one else invited me to play," Wilson explained, noting how his money, had he bought into the Predators, "would have ended up in Boots's pocket. I was buying a portion of his share."
Quote:
"The Boots saga doesn't bother me at all. He's a shareholder who can't pay his bills. What's happening in the broad markets that scares me," Wilson said. "But I like what Nashville is going to do and has done. I've been to several games there. It's a good team with a low payroll and enthusiastic fans."

Wilson is part-owner of the Diamond Jaxx and Derby County FC, partnering in both ventures with Freeman. He also says that they have "done a lot of deals on handshakes."

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

I like it!

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 11:17 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Id say welcome ot the family, just keep that share away from Balsillie

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

10-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
I went to school with his daughters and even worked at a party for him, he's genuinely a nice guy (which I can't say about many of the ridiculously wealthy parents I've met). Not only that, but he isn't known for making a bad investment, I'd say its a pretty good sign if he and his partners want a stake in the team.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 01:53 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I read the article. I see that he has real estate and business here in Nashville. I see that he's tied with Freeman into 2 other sports teams, including the TN baseball team. I see that it seems to be a good thing to have him with us.

However, I cannot take anymore damn drama with this team about the sale or the sale of shares of the team.

(Also, I love how the Globe & Mail title the article to make it sound like another mr.blackberry.)

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:23 AM
sureloss

vCash: 50
Looks like it is all but a done deal:
http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/...05931-sun.html

Quote:
Less than a year after inquiring about joining the Flames ownership group, Calgary billionaire Brett Wilson has a handshake agreement in place to buy shares of the Nashville Predators.

Informed by Flames president Ken King last spring none of the team's owners had plans to sell their interests, Wilson turned to Predators majority owner David Freeman, striking a deal to purchase their third pro-sports franchise together. "We shook hands on the deal -- we just haven't got it papered," Wilson told the Sun yesterday, cautiously optimistic the lengthy approval process is a mere formality.

sureloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Tricolore#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I went to school with his daughters and even worked at a party for him, he's genuinely a nice guy (which I can't say about many of the ridiculously wealthy parents I've met). Not only that, but he isn't known for making a bad investment, I'd say its a pretty good sign if he and his partners want a stake in the team.
I'm a huge fan of the CBC show Dragon's Den, on which Wilson is an investor. He is probably my favourite dragon. My impressions from the show is that he is a great guy, who remains down to earth despite his wealth, an attribute that isn't seen in many of the other dragons. I think he is genuine about his interests in Nashville. He bought a stake in Derby Country FC, and if I've followed that story as well, and he seems very committed to the club.

As for him not making any bad investments, check out this past season of the Dragon's Den. I think Brett made more investments than any of the other Dragons, and some of them were definitely dubious. He even acknowledges as much in the wrap-up show. However, I think he had a rationale for doing it, and says that he really likes to invest in people, as much as the product they are pitching. He really does seem like someone who constantly gives back to the community.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Fuzzy Bunny

Great sign indeed. This guy - while I have never met him personally - just comes off as a great guy. No surprise he has deep connection with Saskatoon

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote